John Cubelic on Duke Dismissal

Weegle777

Well, John has. So his opinion is valid.

so explain how politics makes for dukes playing time. Or please tell me which wr is a better player than duke. That is the ridiculous part. Duke has no family pressuring gus, I doubt bobby jindall is telling Robert Bently to make sure the Williams kid from his state gets to start every game. There are zero politics helping Duke williams. Duke played because he is one of the most talented wrs in the nation.

You do realize that John was talking about the politics in the locker room "he" played in right? Whether he was saying that politics played a role in Duke's pt, who knows. But he was giving people an idea of how it was when he played. TIFWIW.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so explain how politics makes for dukes playing time. Or please tell me which wr is a better player than duke. That is the ridiculous part. Duke has no family pressuring gus, I doubt bobby jindall is telling Robert Bently to make sure the Williams kid from his state gets to start every game. There are zero politics helping Duke williams. Duke played because he is one of the most talented wrs in the nation.

You do realize that John was talking about the politics in the locker room "he" played in right? Whether he was saying that politics played a role in Duke's pt, who knows. But he was giving people an idea of how it was when he played. TIFWIW.

he should give a specific example then.

He doesn't owe any fan anything. Good grief.

Alexava, have you played any sport before? I'm not trying to flame, just asking. If you have played, you have to have experienced it yourself. Why does John have to give you an exact example? Maybe instead of politics he could have referred to favoritism. It happens on most every team, job, class, etc.. A player may have the most physical talent, but doesn't behave or held to the standards that other players are held to and get's to play. Usually a coaches son plays(even if he's not the best at a position) when better players have to sit.

Wow. It's really not hard to understand that true meritocracies are unicorns and that in any situation where multiple people are involved, biases are going to inform decisions. Surely Cubelic's merely confirming something we all already knew?

I don't know who John Cubelic is, but why couldn't he have written this article back in the summer and given us a heads up about what was going on?

Just wondering....were you really surprise by this happening this week.....or like me..surprised that he had not been suspended sooner ? With Duke's history, I don't think you can accuse anyone of "Monday Morning Quarterbacking".....folks should have seen this truck coming a mile away.

I don't know who John Cubelic is, but why couldn't he have written this article back in the summer and given us a heads up about what was going on?

Just wondering....were you really surprise by this happening this week.....or like me..surprised that he had not been suspended sooner ? With Duke's history, I don't think you can accuse anyone of "Monday Morning Quarterbacking".....folks should have seen this truck coming a mile away.

I wonder how bad Torrance Gibson's red flags had to be if the staff backed off of him considering we kept after Duke well after knowing this guy has some critical issues

Alexava, have you played any sport before? I'm not trying to flame, just asking. If you have played, you have to have experienced it yourself. Why does John have to give you an exact example? Maybe instead of politics he could have referred to favoritism. It happens on most every team, job, class, etc.. A player may have the most physical talent, but doesn't behave or held to the standards that other players are held to and get's to play. Usually a coaches son plays(even if he's not the best at a position) when better players have to sit.

i have, i have also seen favoritism in jobs i have worked, hell i have been called the favorite. i heard marcus spears on finebaum yesterday say that elite players will get a longer leash. we all know that. we all know politics can play a role it PT but this is clearly not the case. cubelic says it's not always the best players that play, says politics is part of it. Well, duke has no (political) ties and he is the best player, so his comments make no logical point. if players are unhappy because possibly the best wr in the sec got a little longer leash they are lacking some maturity and not understanding the real world themselves. John may have meant well but the story lacks details that would make me be able to relate to it. he leaves us to do a lot of assuming. we are already doing that,LOL.

I feel like he did.

We had receivers who played more than they should have, whose hype dictated their playing time. We had guys who thought they were more talented than they were and were treated as such. We also had guys who didn’t live up to their potential and guys who weren’t given a chance to. Football is enormously political, and the adage that “the best players play” is not always a reality.

Dropped passes, getting out jumped by smaller DB's, repeatedly being called out by many for effort. He was on the field cause of his hype this season. Other players would of been pulled off the field.

Yes you could say he is the best receiver, but he was not performing at that level.

I feel like he did.

We had receivers who played more than they should have, whose hype dictated their playing time. We had guys who thought they were more talented than they were and were treated as such. We also had guys who didn’t live up to their potential and guys who weren’t given a chance to. Football is enormously political, and the adage that “the best players play” is not always a reality.

Dropped passes, getting out jumped by smaller DB's, repeatedly being called out by many for effort. He was on the field cause of his hype this season. Other players would of been pulled off the field.

Yes you could say he is the best receiver, but he was not performing at that level.

he has shown he can. by this example most of our defense should be benched and all redshirts removed tomorrow. only freshman and walkons start. by example i mean a name.

I feel like he did.

he has shown he can. by this example most of our defense should be benched and all redshirts removed tomorrow. only freshman and walkons start. by example i mean a name.

I didn't say he had not shown he could play.... but he has not shown that this year.

And didn't Muschamp bench several starters regardless of class? Does our defense depth chart atm have more fresh/soph and transfers or more juniors/seniors and returning players?

I have zero issues pulling scholarships and everything the football players get that don't want to bust ass and moving them over to girls softball and soccer programs for example.

Who's name are you asking for... players? alumni? parent? coach?

great article. glad to see it from a respected former player.

never heard of him.

That's because he never saw the field...... Maybe on special teams..... and that article didn't list any "hard" evidence about Duke being a locker room cancer or a prima donna.... Most great players are gonna be semi to full blown divas to a degree.......

Duke off the field issues and indifferent attitude did him in.... When we hear something from current players echoing what is said in this article, then maybe I'll change my tune

I feel like he did.

What coaches called him out for his effort? And getting out jumped by smaller DBs :-\

meritocracies

Is that like a cheerocracy?

Not sure. I do know that it's nothing like a Doritocracy, which is a deceptively delicious ocracy IMHO, even after all these years.

I feel like he did.

I didn't say he had not shown he could play.... but he has not shown that this year.

And didn't Muschamp bench several starters regardless of class? Does our defense depth chart atm have more fresh/soph and transfers or more juniors/seniors and returning players?

I have zero issues pulling scholarships and everything the football players get that don't want to bust ass and moving them over to girls softball and soccer programs for example.

which player, wide receiver, was playing because of hype or politics or favoritism that shouldn't have been and which ones were actually better but not getting to play? this came from a bench player, hell maybe a walkon, that i never heard of. if he can make that claim and want people to just eat it up as fact he needs to be specific.

" Football is enormously political, and the adage that “the best players play” is not always a reality."

" Football is enormously political, and the adage that “the best players play” is not always a reality."

yes maybe Duke's dad was influencing his playing time? I don't remember john cubelic and dont think he is really on to anything with this ridiculous nonsense. I still have not seen an example of duke fighting off campus having any affect on team moral. He obviously has a problem and was a liability, basically had to be removed . but I see no logic to explain how this could have a big immediate Impact to the team positively.

Pretty much this

I feel like he did.

which player, wide receiver, was playing because of hype or politics or favoritism that shouldn't have been and which ones were actually better but not getting to play? this came from a bench player, hell maybe a walkon, that i never heard of. if he can make that claim and want people to just eat it up as fact he needs to be specific.

When he didn't name names or instances, I stopped taking the article seriously and considered it click bait

Why would anyon think he'd ruin his or someone else's reputation by naming names?

Also, he did name people who he did think highly of, so he's clearly not some malcontent spouting sour grapes.

He didn't say anything damaging. He made a very obvious observation about how the world works. I'm not sure why folks are so upset.

Why would anyon think he'd ruin his or someone else's reputation by naming names?

Also, he did name people who he did think highly of, so he's clearly not some malcontent spouting sour grapes.

He didn't say anything damaging. He made a very obvious observation about how the world works. I'm not sure why folks are so upset.

not upset. Just not picking up what he's putting down.

Why would anyone think he'd attempt to ruin his or someone else's reputation by naming specific names?

Because its a very bold statement and makes the coaching staff look suspect by putting them on blast like this.. .So yeah, he needs to show some receipts.....

Was Duke standing up for a friend in a bar fight? If he was, it was an admirable thing to do. Malzahn does not advise players to simply stay out of bars altogether. So, what was Duke's fault in this scenario? What was the rule that he was breaking?

Was Duke standing up for a friend in a bar fight? If he was, it was an admirable thing to do. Malzahn does not advise players to simply stay out of bars altogether. So, what was Duke's fault in this scenario? What was the rule that he was breaking?

Zero tolerance policy. He was fighting so he got kicked out. If he wasn't this time, he would've been in trouble again got fighting sometime else down the line.

The Rule: Stay out of trouble.

If you have a self-discipline problem and it puts your chosen life path at risk, you find a way to manage it. If you have drinking problem, you stay away from alcohol and, if you lack self-discipline, people who drink and places where drinking occurs. That goes for drugs, gambling and fighting as well. If this had been the first incident, he'd have gotten a pass. It wasn't the first, second or third incident. At some point, your boss, coach, spouse or twelve-step bro is going to get tired of the drama and cut you loose.

No responsible adult should be surprised or be second-guessing Gus' decision regarding Duke.

Archived