Time for O-Line to make a Statement

AuburnNTexas

The O-line has been adequate at best so far this year. At times they have done a solid job at point of attack on running plays and the have looked good when pass blocking against straight D packages. The problem has been inconsistency and the failure to adequately pick up Blitzes. The talent level is there but with the number of new players or players playing at a new position we should not have been totally surprised by their performance. They now have 5 games under their belts and they will have had two weeks of practice before the Kentucky game to work out their kinks.

Kentucky has a very solid defense but not an elite defense. It is time for the O-Line to shine and help the Offense to become the team we were hoping for at beginning of the year. The next two games against Kentucky and Arkansas will determine if we have a chance to become a solid team and at least make a bowl game.

Who thinks we will see a rejuvenated O-Line in the Kentucky game?

I think we see them getting more support from the HBs and WRs than they have been. Maybe some procedural penalties on a Thursday night far from home. Our tackles aren't suddenly going to be better, but maybe we'll see them finish their blocks a little meaner. I don't expect drastic improvement but I don't expect the OL to be what makes or breaks the game.

I want to see a rejuvinated EVERYONE in Lexington, not just the OL. Something has been "off" with this team all season, and I am hoping that the recent subtraction to the roster was the culprit. This team, and every player on it, should be jumping at the chance to redeem themselves in the eyes of their parents, friends, coaches, and the fans, but mostly for themselves. The entire country is using Auburn as a punchline right now. Words like "disaster" and "dumpster fire" are being used frequently in headlines on all social media. These kids deserve better than that. Thursday night in Lexington, they have the chance to come out and lay the wood to UK, and let the country know that the Tigers that were ranked #6 at the start of the season are still on this team. If we see JJ, I truly hope the fans that make the trip cheer for him, and let him know he is still Family. Same for SW. If he only gets to throw a handful of passes, that we cheer like crazy madmen for those passes. Same goes for Roc Thomas, Ricardo Louis, Kerryon Johnson, Melvin Ray, and all the others. Same goes for Monty Adams, Kris Frost, Tre Williams, Blake Countess, Jonathan Jones. Let them know that we still love our team, and always will. It's time to take the game to our opponent, instead of the other way around. I hope Gus and company hit them with everything they have in the playbook, and we don't stop scoring until the clock runs out. I'm not a fan of running up a score, but if we win this game by 100 points, I won't feel bad for Kentucky, because we friggin' deserve to win by 100 points. Let's go get 'em, Tigers!!! War Damn Eagle!!!!

Win or lose I just want to see the effort. No more loafing or purposely avoiding contact. This is never going to get turned around without giving full effort.

Well, ya know, there's a difference between run blocking, especially in a scheme like Malzahn's, and pass blocking. Even though the OL players all had previous experience, they really haven't had much experience with outright pass blocking. During the Nick Marshall period, pass plays were mostly implemented off the run fake employing run Malzahn's blocking strategy. Even all world LT Greg Robinson, after being drafted so high, was unprepared for classic pass blocking in the NFL.

So, I have not been surprised that our OL has struggled this year. Plus, opposing teams are blitzing like crazy, hoping to capitalize on that inexperience and rattle Auburn's inexperienced QBs. And it's been working. The blitzes are overwhelming Auburn's pass protection.

So, I have not been surprised that our OL has struggled this year. Plus, opposing teams are blitzing like crazy, hoping to capitalize on that inexperience and rattle Auburn's inexperienced QBs. And it's been working. The blitzes are overwhelming Auburn's pass protection.

That's what I've seen as well, Rex. We're struggling to consistently pick up blitzes. Some of that's on the o-line, but a lot of it is on the RBs and H-backs, too.

That's what I've seen as well, Rex. We're struggling to consistently pick up blitzes. Some of that's on the o-line, but a lot of it is on the RBs and H-backs, too.

... and the play calling by the coaches.

I feel like our OL went to hell in the last year. We have some bright spots but most of the highly rated tackles we got out of the 2012 class are no longer here. I think that has hurt us tremendously. I think Patrick Miller would have helped the OL and should have stuck around but I sense that Grimes was not high on him and he knew it.

Our OL has done fine. Maybe not 2013 stellar but they have done satisfactorily. The tackles have done well enough.

Agreed. They've not been dominant, but they haven't been a glaring weakness.

I can't say fine. They've been somewhat inconsistent. And they have taken too long to get going. But like previously stated they haven't been awful

Really expected the O line to be a strength but has turned out to be a weakness. Very dissapointing so far. The phrase "dancing bears", repeatedly comes to mind when watching our line play on both sides of the ball.

Last night I thought the Oline did well in pass blocking but we are not opening up big holes in the running game.

Last night I thought the Oline did well in pass blocking but we are not opening up big holes in the running game.

I'd like to go back and watch a little closer. We've had some issues with our inexperienced RBs not following their blocks. You might have seen something that I didn't last night, though, and it did seem like the lanes were pretty clogged a lot of times.

I was excited about the pass pro, though, and I also thought our young HBs had their best game by far. Chandler Cox got him some, for sure. And the blocking from the WRs was better. Very encouraging to see the fight from the kids last night.

Really expected the O line to be a strength but has turned out to be a weakness. Very dissapointing so far. The phrase "dancing bears", repeatedly comes to mind when watching our line play on both sides of the ball.

i thought the OL had a good game last night. again, not spectacular, but they played well enough. far from disappointing to me.

although i love barber, there are plenty of times he is going one way when the better option seems to be another. he gets those very tough yards, which he did repeatedly last night, but seems to get tripped up in the open field more easily than other backs despite his strength.

oh, another example of a play which i bet some attribute to the OL ... we had a third and long which we tried the double fake and were going to throw long. barber started to block the DE and then simply stopped (he and cox seemed to think the other had the block on the DE). the DE then got the sack. wonder how many people assumed that was the fault of the OL. we had 2 RB's who both screwed up and ended in a sack. not sure if the WR was open or not. I am curious about that.

although i love barber, there are plenty of times he is going one way when the better option seems to be another. he gets those very tough yards, which he did repeatedly last night, but seems to get tripped up in the open field more easily than other backs despite his strength.

oh, another example of a play which i bet some attribute to the OL ... we had a third and long which we tried the double fake and were going to throw long. barber started to block the DE and then simply stopped (he and cox seemed to think the other had the block on the DE). the DE then got the sack. wonder how many people assumed that was the fault of the OL. we had 2 RB's who both screwed up and ended in a sack. not sure if the WR was open or not. I am curious about that.

Barber has the most important intangible of all, heart. The boy just wills yards. If we can get him coached up to find the hole instead of just churning through the pack, he could go from being reliable to being dangerous. Of course, Sean would appreciate a little more finding and sticking to his block, as well.

Yeah. Pass protection. Was top of my list of O areas that needed improvement. Very welcome surprise. Will have to see if the improvement sticks against better teams.

Archived