Part of the culture Muschamp is talking about is fear

Lowrider

The players at Auburn don't fear the coaches. I don't mean physical fear just the fear of having to look your coach in the eye when you just completely blew your assignment. I remember back in the day when Dye was at Auburn and we had just won a big game, maybe it was Georgia or Bama I don't remember exactly. But they were interviewing an O-lineman and the first thing he said was how glad he was they got the win because he false started and killed a drive. He said when he was walking off the field all he could think about was "I hope coach Dye doesn't kill me". Obviously he was joking and said it with a smile but that's a winning culture. When your coaches will not accept anything but the best from you and you know it. Gus has to make his coaches expect more from these players. It will make the players better. Tough love is important in competition.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well just yesterday I was explained by some posters that if the players are Prima donnas, let them be because this isn't the 70's anymore and every team has them. And another suggested that if the players are not happy with their playing time, give them more.

The laxed culture may go hand in hand with the OP. JS

Coaches show tough love in many different ways. There are coaches like Saban, Petrino, etc who will chew your butt out on the sideline on national tv. There are those like Gus, who will just pull you out and let you think about it for an extended period time, alas Jason Smith and there is those who just have to give you that look to let you know you screwed up. I don't think fear is the issue. Maybe respect is the bigger issue. Fear and respect are not synonymous.

Coaches show tough love in many different ways. There are coaches like Saban, Petrino, etc who will chew your butt out on the sideline on national tv. There are those like Gus, who will just pull you out and let you think about it for an extended period time, alas Jason Smith and there is those who just have to give you that look to let you know you screwed up. I don't think fear is the issue. Maybe respect is the bigger issue. Fear and respect are not synonymous.

I think you know what I mean without arguing details here.

This may be somewhat true. In today's society these kids have been pampered all of their lives, especially those with talent. Our coaches need to start giving out tough love and I believe it started yesterday with Duke. I think this incident may have put some fear in these kids. If Gus can do it to one of our best players, surely anyone else could be next. We shall see if the motivation has changed come next game. I certainly hope so! War Eagle

I think you know what I mean without arguing details here.

I think you need to cool your jets. Just disagreeing with you that fear is the issue. Sorry for my opinion.

So much has changed........l was shocked when former players were upset when Florida rb Taylor was scolded on sideline. l played HS ball in mid 80's........l had a late hit on qb that kept an eventual td drive alive.......Coach grabbed me by facemask pulled me face to face and chewed me out in front of God and everybody..........you say sorry coach and take a seat on the bench.....no lip and move on.....l did and do have much respect for him to this day. .......The entitlement generation dont get it. Very sad.

Well, with some teams, some coaches, there is a "fear of consequences." For example, at a place like Bama or tOSU, if you screw up, the coach will pull you and sit you down, and there's some other 5 star guy ready to step into your spot. And that means you may drop down in the rotation and may not play as much. Meyer demonstrated that when he pulled Cardell and sat him. Spurrier used to do that all the time. If you can't play your position, somebody else can.

Problem is, when you don't have the depth, it's really hard to do that. Duke should have been sat for his on field performance. And what do you think would have happened at Bama, UGA, LSU, Ole Miss, UF, if a defensive player had actually avoided making a tackle?

There needs to be some real accountability. Call it fear or consequences or whatever you want.

I think with Gus we have fail to see the toughness from him. It has been soft handling of his players with way too many chances and too many open doors. He tries to be the friend and not the coach sometimes. and I think that backfires on him.

There seems to be several players who feel they are too good to lose playing time regardless of how bad they play. These type players need a serious come to JESUS meeting.

I think with Gus we have fail to see the toughness from him. It has been soft handling of his players with way too many chances and too many open doors. He tries to be the friend and not the coach sometimes. and I think that backfires on him.

Just because Gus doesn't look or act like a drill sergeant doesn't mean that he isn't tough and demanding with his players. I think too many on the message boards offer opinions and not first hand knowledge. I guess you can tell, I'm still on the Gus Bus.

Just because Gus doesn't look or act like a drill sergeant doesn't mean that he isn't tough and demanding with his players. I think too many on the message boards offer opinions and not first hand knowledge. I guess you can tell, I'm still on the Gus Bus.

Yeah, he's Charmin tough. Look at Dyer and Williams. Gus absolutely kicked them off the team...eventually.

It's systemic, and the culture is established at the top.

I'm a Jesus freak, but Jay Jacobs is far better suited for Bible study small group than to run a $120 million business.

He fired the baseball coach last weak "for cause" that he would not explain. Some believe he was fired for being too hard on the players.

Oh, the explanation as Jacobs put it...

“My commitment will always be to provide the best student-athlete experience in the nation, and we will not accept anything less."

Bless his heart, lol.

I'm a Jesus freak, but Jay Jacobs is far better suited for Bible study small group than to run a $120 million business.

He fired the baseball coach last weak "for cause" that he would not explain. Some believe he was fired for being too hard on the players.

“My commitment will always be to provide the best student-athlete experience in the nation, and we will not accept anything less."

Bless his heart, lol.

It isn't everyone's business the reasons why certain people are let go. No ones but the people involved. That's called being professional.

That being said. Galloway was a ****. A stubborn one at that which did not adhere to the rules laid out for him. Hence, he was fired with cause.

Jay Jacobs runs our 120 million dollar business pretty well. He caters to the crowd (most auburn fans are Jesus freaks that are about the school and faith to a point that they will take the "high road" and accept loss or mediocrity) and he makes the department money normally. Stays close even after major upgrades. I don't agree with what he does 100% of the time but he is better than most. The biggest donors are bible freaks. Want their money? Spout the company line and welcome the wealth.

By the way, some of the hardest most ruthless people with some of the highest discipline I have ever known have been Jesus freaks. Your religious beliefs have no effect on how strict and stern you can be in an authoritative role.

Think CPD kicked his only returning All SEC player off the team a few minutes into his first team meeting. Had the team at hello.

Think Texas has the same problem we have, but on steroids.

Think CGM has a burning desire to win, and will learn from this year.

We have the right to expect excellence from a coaching staff paid as well as ours.

Think this board needs to quit worrying about star ratings and ask about intangibles and work effort (all three would be acceptable)

Little doc

Bless his heart, lol.

It isn't everyone's business the reasons why certain people are let go. No ones but the people involved. That's called being professional.

That being said. Galloway was a ****. A stubborn one at that which did not adhere to the rules laid out for him. Hence, he was fired with cause.

Jay Jacobs runs our 120 million dollar business pretty well. He caters to the crowd (most auburn fans are Jesus freaks that are about the school and faith to a point that they will take the "high road" and accept loss or mediocrity) and he makes the department money normally. Stays close even after major upgrades. I don't agree with what he does 100% of the time but he is better than most. The biggest donors are bible freaks. Want their money? Spout the company line and welcome the wealth.

By the way, some of the hardest most ruthless people with some of the highest discipline I have ever known have been Jesus freaks. Your religious beliefs have no effect on how strict and stern you can be in an authoritative role.

Galloway was a bad fit and Jacobs can be blamed for that. Auburn was in bad shape and needed a coach who could build up a program into a winner. Galloway was a coach that took over successful programs and had continued success with them. Galloway was the wrong choice.

I believe some of the players on the team although my feel bad for Duke are glad that he is gone. Meaning that they put in the hard work but get little time on the field in comparison to someone who doesn't attend classes and doesn't hustle.

I don't think toughness is the issue. We are just now realizing how young and inexperienced our offensive and defensive lines are. Our defense is very inexperienced. The O line needs to gell. There has been so much over-reaction. Malzahn and Muschamp know their jobs and we will get better.

O lines take the longest to jell and maturity is so important there. SG never knew what the hell rules he was breaking or cared. That is the type of attitude that leads to loss of control penalties for athletic departments. Glad he is gone.

Bless his heart, lol.

Sunny Golloway lied about breaking NCAA rules and got caught! Jay did the right thing.......

Bless his heart, lol.

Really?

"My commitment will always be to provide the best student-athlete experience in the nation, and we will not accept anything less."

Bless his heart, lol.

Really?

It's been said by some (who were closer to the situation than I) that he's the reason the coach referenced in the op left the first time.

"My commitment will always be to provide the best student-athlete experience in the nation, and we will not accept anything less."

Bless his heart, lol.

Really?

It's been said by some (who were closer to the situation than I) that he's the reason the coach referenced in the op left the first time.

When you come looking for whatever this thread is about but all you see is someone ragging on Jay Jacobs... Like usual.

Archived