Part of the culture Muschamp is talking about is fear

Lowrider

Well, with some teams, some coaches, there is a "fear of consequences." For example, at a place like Bama or tOSU, if you screw up, the coach will pull you and sit you down, and there's some other 5 star guy ready to step into your spot. And that means you may drop down in the rotation and may not play as much. Meyer demonstrated that when he pulled Cardell and sat him. Spurrier used to do that all the time. If you can't play your position, somebody else can.

Problem is, when you don't have the depth, it's really hard to do that. Duke should have been sat for his on field performance. And what do you think would have happened at Bama, UGA, LSU, Ole Miss, UF, if a defensive player had actually avoided making a tackle?

There needs to be some real accountability. Call it fear or consequences or whatever you want.

That only works with depth. We watched saban play a linebacker who was consistently in trouble when he was first hired. He never sat him. Why? Because there were no good players to take his place.

Coaches (even saban and meyer) will only sit players if someone as good or better is waiting. If not - they will play the troublemaker like everyone else until he does something so bad that the coaches are forced to part ways. That is the way it is. Always has been. Coaches are paid to win games and most of the time you win with the most talent.

Isn't it the coaches job to develop depth? Why don't we have any depth? We've had great recruiting classes and yet we don't seem to be able to find enough talent to fill out a 2 deep chart?

We as seem to be having this conversation way to frequently for my taste. I can handle a loss here and there, but the lack of development in not only the starters, but also the bench is a bit unpalatable.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting concept fear. Go back 45 years. If you flunked out or dropped out of college you could soon be wearing a green uniform and maybe visiting Vietnam. That's fear.

I had a wrestling coach who said, "even the dumbest animal understands pain." While this worked to a degree fear is a motivating factor. The question is where does the fear stem from?

My fear stemmed from dissapointing my coach. Yeah he'd give me a death glare but I was more upset that this man who dedicates 6 nights a week to my improvement and I let him down. Not too sure how he established that. But when you can get players to play for the coach and not for themselves that's something special.

None of us really know just how mean our coaches are. I would bet though that they are fart more aggressively than any of us really know.

It's systemic, and the culture is established at the top.

I'm a Jesus freak, but Jay Jacobs is far better suited for Bible study small group than to run a $120 million business.

He fired the baseball coach last weak "for cause" that he would not explain. Some believe he was fired for being too hard on the players.

Oh, the explanation as Jacobs put it...

“My commitment will always be to provide the best student-athlete experience in the nation, and we will not accept anything less."

Bless his heart, lol.

Sunny Golloway lied about breaking NCAA rules and got caught! Jay did the right thing.......

There's a law suit coming that claims otherwise.

How many coaches have we blown through in the last dozen years? When an organization feels like a roller coaster ride of inconsistency, it's certain there's a problem at the top of it's leadership. Our athletic department is still run like a five and dime store. Just like Housel (who is as fine an Auburn man as there ever was), Jacobs was promoted for being a good foot soldier within the department. Just like Housel, Jacobs (who is also as fine an Auburn man as there ever was) is in over his head.

People file lawsuits everyday because they think they can game the system. AU has proof and it's undisputable.

None of us really know just how mean our coaches are. I would bet though that they are fart more aggressively than any of us really know.

He who smelt it delt it, doc.

There's a problem with the "we're always young" line of thinking. If we're consistently among the best recruiting programs, then something is wrong if the team isn't deep and experienced.

There's a problem with the "we're always young" line of thinking. If we're consistently among the best recruiting programs, then something is wrong if the team isn't deep and experienced.

I am seeing young players across the nation make the simple plays. There is some truth to youth and inexperience, but we also have talented players who cannot make the simplest of plays. I watched UM today and was just impressed by how fundamentally sound they were on defense. I don't care who they were playing, you can tell they pay attention to all the small details when it comes to technique. At times, it looks like we think we can "out-talent" people. It is not working in our favor.

People need to cope the best way they can. If Auburn was living up to the hype, nobody and I do mean NOBODY would be stressing youth and inexperience.

Especially after Gus downs a bowl or two of Bert's chili.

Gene is a great guy but he didn't exactly run a real disciplined AU program. And by disciplined I mean all aspect of the program. And we are seeing signs of the same with Gus. BUT I do think Gus is trying to fix this and is being advised to do by people close to him.

This is a great point that I think most people miss. A great football coach does not make a great head coach. I remember Urban Meyer, when he was having his success at Florida said something to the effect of "when coaches call me to ask questions about my offense, how to run the spread, etc. I'd send them the film so they could learn it themselves. When a coach called to talk about running a program, I'd give them all the time they wanted."

To be a great head coach you need to possess at least these three general qualities: 1) An excellent football mind both in game and in scheme 2) a quality staff and 3) the ability to manage and lead a program. In my opinion, if you don't have one of those three qualities, you aren't going to be successful for very long. Gus has a great football mind, we have a good staff, but we're going to find out if he really knows how to run a top tier football program.

Hate Nick Saban or Urban Meyer all you want, but both of those guys have something in common and that's a detailed and specific plan for running their program top to bottom, inside and out. When you hear Saban interviews, he talks much less about his player's or team's performance in x's and o's and much more about a standard of how they go about their business. He has expectations, and he repeats them over and over and over. When you listen to player interviews, they talk about the same things. The guy expects everyone in the program, top to bottom, player's, coaches, and staff to conduct themselves like professionals. In my opinion, that's what makes Alabama so consistently good.

Can anyone explain Gus's approach to running the program? I cannot. I don't really see a lot to be optimistic about in regards to the football program. I will be forever grateful to Gus for the 2013 season...but that is looking like blind luck (another transfer QB like Cam coming in) and the Hawthorne affect. I don't really see any moves that are a cause for optimism. Recruiting, suspect. Player development, suspect. Game Planning, suspect. Coaching staff, suspect. Discipline, suspect....Saban, Mayer and other program's have distinct personalities...I don't know what our's is.

So much has changed........l was shocked when former players were upset when Florida rb Taylor was scolded on sideline. l played HS ball in mid 80's........l had a late hit on qb that kept an eventual td drive alive.......Coach grabbed me by facemask pulled me face to face and chewed me out in front of God and everybody..........you say sorry coach and take a seat on the bench.....no lip and move on.....l did and do have much respect for him to this day. .......The entitlement generation dont get it. Very sad.

I wonder how they would react to this.

We were on the road for soccer and beat this team 1-0 that we should have hammered. We took them lightly and our effort by some cause of that was questionable. After the game we started heading to the bus and the coach said don't go that way. He pulled out 5 cones, walked behind the goal to a hill and lined them up. Next words out of his mouth was on the line, this one is done is 20 and the whistle blew. That is how it went for the next hour.

Never forget that. Other team and their fans sitting there watching us and laughing at us as we were ran until we threw up for beating them by one.

Archived