Question for Golf and/or WarDamnEagleWDE

CR

You 2 guys seem to be the most informed of any of the posters on this board. I have noticed a much more pessimistic tone from both of you in the past few weeks in several threads regarding recruiting and other topics. Would both/either of you be willing to share your thoughts regarding the overall state of the football program and where you see things headed in the next few months? I appreciate all of the insight you provide to this board. Thanks.

Read the thread and I'll get to the numnuts later.

But on to your question CR....first of all WDE has much more insight into the situation then I do. With that said I do know a lot of the older players from late 60's to 80's. You are correct as to my pessimistic tone. Without getting into details all I will say is we will find out what kind of coach Gus is in the UK game.

I have serious doubts on the next two years and haven't felt this bad since little Terry days. I hope I totally wrong

Wow, that's extremely discomforting/disappointing.

Reality hurts sometimes.

wde

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He'll need to finish his case of PBR first, so check back in about 5 minutes

Shoot!

I've already started my second.

Is he old or something?

He would too, but he got caught up in a Matlock marathon

No smart ass it's a Orange Is The New Black marathon

Just finished a True Detective season 1 marathon. Hot damn that's some good watchin'.

Again...the 1st season is much, much better than the 2nd in that one too.

Your comment about OITNB season 1 being far better than season 2 is actually what made me think about True Detective. I'd heard that was the case long before ever seeing an episode. I'm hesitant to buy season 2 because of it.

I definitely wouldn't buy it. Find someone who can either give you a password for HBO app or "acquire" it via Internet.

Shoot!

Is he old or something?

Just finished a True Detective season 1 marathon. Hot damn that's some good watchin'.

Season 2....not so much

Edit...I see several posters beat me to it.

But on to your question CR....first of all WDE has much more insight into the situation then I do. With that said I do know a lot of the older players from late 60's to 80's. You are correct as to my pessimistic tone. Without getting into details all I will say is we will find out what kind of coach Gus is in the UK game.

I have serious doubts on the next two years and haven't felt this bad since little Terry days. I hope I totally wrong

Golf, got to ask. You basing this off of coaching or how bad this season is hurting our recruiting?

You 2 guys seem to be the most informed of any of the posters on this board. I have noticed a much more pessimistic tone from both of you in the past few weeks in several threads regarding recruiting and other topics. Would both/either of you be willing to share your thoughts regarding the overall state of the football program and where you see things headed in the next few months? I appreciate all of the insight you provide to this board. Thanks.

I've noticed it too, and it's disconcerting.

It's like in Predator when they finally realize something strange is happening.

Pancho: Billy, you know something. What is it?

Billy: I'm scared.

Pancho: Bulls--t! You ain't afraid of no man.

Billy: There's something out there hunting us. And it ain't no man. We're all gonna die.

That's how I feel when I read those posts.

WDE!

Shoot!

Is he old or something?

Again...the 1st season is much, much better than the 2nd in that one too.

Your comment about OITNB season 1 being far better than season 2 is actually what made me think about True Detective. I'd heard that was the case long before ever seeing an episode. I'm hesitant to buy season 2 because of it.

Save your money - or go to watchseries.ag and view for free. It was horrible.

Ruh roh- we're f----d.

Back in the summer, I expressed some concerns in the Recruiting forum and was promptly jumped on by the long-timers for being "negative." They (and a few others) have more internal connection to the athletics program than I do. But I was looking at things from the "big picture" perspective, which includes the entire SEC/Big12/ACC region, and expressed my worries about how things stood. I didn't go into much detail, because getting beat up by other posters just didn't seem worth the effort. I haven't posted in Recruiting since then.

That was last summer. Nothing much has changed from my view. I'm still concerned.

Now the tables have turned somewhat. Although Auburn is having a bad year, I don't necessarily see it as all doom and gloom. This is a young team offensively, and the defensive guys are learning a new scheme.

I didn't share the "don't worry, be happy" view then, but I don't share the Auburn Apocalypse view that seems to be infesting AUF now.

Me either. The UK game is huge. If we lay an offensive egg there and the playcalling is still baffling then this season is burnt toast.

If we finally start to do some positive things offensively and the D improves and we get a win then things don't seem so bad and we have 9 days to prepare for the next game vs. Arky. They have an off week, but hey.

I was a full fledged Sunshine pumper before the season started. It all looked so promising. I wonder how the situation with Duke affected things. He was rooming with JJ. I think a lot of us overlooked the inexperience on this team. Gus seems to have lost his way when it comes to play calling. Go back to mad scientist mode. Let it all hang out this week.

Golf is Doc....and Doc is Golf!!!

Oh lord want you buy me a Mercedes Benz

My Friends all have Porches....

I don't see where the play calling has changed one bit. We've only ever used five or six base plays and that's what we are still using. What has changed is that we've dropped the Hurry Up part of our offense and if defenses have time to think and set up our offense isn't all that great. It never has been without the hurry up factor. See 2011.

As long as we're playing slow and the opponents are running significantly more plays than we run enough points aren't going to come.

UGA, UT, USC, Oregon, NDAme, GaTech, Oklahoma, and many other teams have not met the expectations of the pre season talking heads. I guess there programs are dysfunctional, booster meddling, undisciplined, don't have heart, and many other concerns others say are plaguing Auburn. I just think the team was overrated by prognosticators and a lot of fan frustration is based on those expectations, and the team not meeting them. New DC with a new system that lacks depth, talent and experience in key areas. Not to mention a new QB,RB, Center etc. I personally thought the team was a year away from those high expectations. Needless to say the season is not over and like Golf said this week will definitely give some insight on what direction the team is going.

I think Golf's response and Terry Bowden reference is telling. My only question is if this team and staff resembles Bowden's ( discipline and recruiting), what difference will the UK game make in the long run?

Question for Golf and/or WarDamnEagleWDE

Hey, golf, is this something UNC's DC might have predicted?

I totally agree Mikey. The hurry up is missing. Yes I know they are trying to find the right play but damn our hurry up consist of tailback give up the gut... that's it. Gotta work the screen game in, the give, the buck sweep, the speed sweep, and the read option, mix in a hurry up pass into the mix. Where's the old pump and go with a speedy receiver.

But... but... In no way should we even remotely be discussing or even considering a coaching change. Seriously.

I totally agree Mikey. The hurry up is missing. Yes I know they are trying to find the right play but damn our hurry up consist of tailback give up the gut... that's it. Gotta work the screen game in, the give, the buck sweep, the speed sweep, and the read option, mix in a hurry up pass into the mix. Where's the old pump and go with a speedy receiver.

But... but... In no way should we even remotely be discussing or even considering a coaching change. Seriously.

Not this year definitely. However; should we win less than 9 games and get beat by both uga and spuat again, then Gus' seat should be flaming going into 2016.

wde

Crazy what can happen in a year. This time last year Gus was the hottest coach in America and now we're worried about him running our program into the ground like Bowden! I guess I'm still holding out hope that this is just a bump in the road and not the final chapter in Gus' coaching career. I fully believe we could win 1 more game and he'll still be here next year. So new coach talk is definitely premature.

But no doubt his reputation is badly tarnished by what's happened so far. Gus was known to make his system work with any QB and in a hurry. But for some reason he hasn't made it work with a guy who he has been around for 3 years. So the notion that we're good on offense as long as Gus is here is gone forever.

And there is no excuse for us not to be good on offense. We may have new people in spots but all these guys have played before and the ones who haven't have been around for a while. HB is the only spot that isn't true about but if that's the big hang up then it's telling we can't hide that defencency.

I think Golf's response and Terry Bowden reference is telling. My only question is if this team and staff resembles Bowden's ( discipline and recruiting), what difference will the UK game

make in the long run?

Not even close to resembling Bowdens teams. Bowdens recruiting was based on whatever FSU didn't want. It was a joke. There was no discipline and the coach was worried more about having a good time with his bama buddies. Ky game matters about this year and not beyond.

Golf, got to ask. You basing this off of coaching or how bad this season is hurting our recruiting?

Coaching mostly

Golf-

I mean is this something you saw coming before the start of the season? I mean there seemed to be so much optimism. This all just seems to be coming out of nowhere.

:dunno:

No

I think Golf's response and Terry Bowden reference is telling. My only question is if this team and staff resembles Bowden's ( discipline and recruiting), what difference will the UK game make in the long run?

In the long term IF that turns out to be true, it doesn't matter. I took it to mean in the short term, as in this season. We've had a week off so there will be enough time to make improvements and changes. The Kentucky game will give us a good indicator on how the rest of the season will go. We have 3 SEC games in a row and each team is arguably better than the one before, so it is an important game.

This whole season has been nothing short of odd in the 32nd degree. I have wondered if C Lawson had not have gotten hurt, and was on the field wreaking havoc or wrecking havoc where we would be? No clue whatsoever.

It is amazing just how much a few players here and there can make or break you. Ole Miss is a prime example. No Kelly, and they would likely be worse off than we are. I hope that SW will have a break out game against UK and put some fire back into this team. We will see one way or the other. I do think better things are coming though...just a hunch like my take on UF destroying OM. No one thought that this was coming except me. I just think it is about to happen for this team.

Archived