Question for Golf and/or WarDamnEagleWDE

CR

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

UGA, UT, USC, Oregon, NDAme, GaTech, Oklahoma, and many other teams have not met the expectations of the pre season talking heads. I guess there programs are dysfunctional, booster meddling, undisciplined, don't have heart, and many other concerns others say are plaguing Auburn. I just think the team was overrated by prognosticators and a lot of fan frustration is based on those expectations, and the team not meeting them. New DC with a new system that lacks depth, talent and experience in key areas. Not to mention a new QB,RB, Center etc. I personally thought the team was a year away from those high expectations. Needless to say the season is not over and like Golf said this week will definitely give some insight on what direction the team is going.

I think this is more of the issue. Expectations were way too high considering who graduated/left early. Center is the most important position on the oline, JJ bought into the hype and our defense is in year 1 under Muschamp. I am a little worried about a couple on the coaching staff but I think everything will work its way out in the end and we will be happy

augolf1716 is legit.

wde

I agree 102%

Shout out for Golf 1716. You need to head North for a week and team up with me for 18 holes each day for at least 5-7 days. I have enough room in my castle to accommodate you and your clubs. I have a Club Cart Precedent that can reach 20 mph if I gun it a little. This is one sweet cart that I enjoy using here in the mountains!

This whole season has been nothing short of odd in the 32nd degree. I have wondered if C Lawson had not have gotten hurt, and was on the field wreaking havoc or wrecking havoc where we would be? No clue whatsoever. It is amazing just how much a few players here and there can make or break you. Ole Miss is a prime example. No Kelly, and they would likely be worse off than we are. I hope that SW will have a break out game against UK and put some fire back into this team. We will see one way or the other. I do think better things are coming though...just a hunch like my take on UF destroying OM. No one thought that this was coming except me. I just think it is about to happen for this team.

Just goes to show you how much of the blame for the shortcomings this season rests squarely on the players and not so much on the coaches.

Every great team has the same thing in common. Great players making great plays. Sure, coaching is there to guide them but it is up to the players to execute their assignments and play as a team. That ain't happening this year and I've seen very little to make me think that it's gonna change much from here on out (at least til these players are gone).

I thought the team had some positives in the MSU game despite not putting it in the end zone. The DB's playing so far off the line the slants are easy for the other teams and the lack of the read/option being used more. IMHO a lot of this was caused by the big head of being overrated when they never earned that rank. Anointing a QB without really having a competition for the job. If Gus would have started his coach job with a 4-8 record and improved each year folks expectations wouldn't have been like they are. If this team is still like noncompetitive after Gus gets a full cycle of his recruits through then I'll be worried.

:comfort::violin:

You don't play up close and jam every team. You certainly don't want to play LSU's and miss st's wr like that

Excellent, now I can skip the superfluous and go straight to Golf and/or WDE posts (or other CR anointeds). Why didn't somebody tell me this sooner?!?

But seriously, Golf & WDE clearly reflect the insightful benefits of this board.

And yep, the Ky game could do wonders one way or another. A 40 - 7 AU win and AL.com is screaming about what idiots Gus & co. are for waiting so long and how overrated the "other" Stoops is, an AU loss by any score has AL.com comparing us to Prairie View State.

But seriously, Golf & WDE clearly reflect the insightful benefits of this board.

And yep, the Ky game could do wonders one way or another. A 40 - 7 AU win and AL.com is screaming about what idiots Gus & co. are for waiting so long and how overrated the "other" Stoops is, an AU loss by any score has AL.com comparing us to Prairie View State.

Paying the slightest attention to al.com articles is where your trouble starts. Give them the attention they deserve, which is NONE.

Excellent, now I can skip the superfluous and go straight to Golf and/or WDE posts (or other CR anointeds). Why didn't somebody tell me this sooner?!?

Everybody knew you were a know it all so most figured you already knew.....(Joke loaded with many winks for slow humor detectors) :jossun:

I'm afraid Auburn has generated a reputation (perhaps well deserved) that the fan base and the administration will turn on you in an instant.

T. Bowden goes undefeated one year..then gets run out of town a couple of years later.

"Fear the thumb"...then the Petrino incident and eventually Tubbs gets run out of town.

Chiz win NC ... then gets run out of town 2 years later.

And now the momentum is starting to build on Gus.

What are recruits and their parents supposed to think? I have no doubt that many recruits with both talent and strong character are avoiding us. So what does Gus have to do to put a good team on the field? He has to heavily hit the more questionable character kids not wanted by the more stable programs and the JC option. By definition, any real talent coming out of JC are players needing a second chance. Otherwise they would already be on a strong Div 1 team. Sometimes things work well for us (i.e Cam) but many times we end up with a Duke or we have players involved in shootings around campus. No team can sustain a high level of performance under these conditions.

Pat Dye was an outstanding coach. But there were some "off" years. Paterno had "off" years. So did Saban. And Bobby Bowden. But the stability of their programs eventually resulted in long term success.

We are having an "off" year. And I'm sure you will see me in future posts questioning play calls and who should be playing quarterback (etc.). But I feel that this coaching staff is capable of giving Auburn many years of top notch football.

Therefore, I am still on the Gus Bus. And I will continue to be until I realize that our fan base and/or administration has created an atmosphere so negative that there is no way Gus can perform his job.

I am confused many on this board and in the sporting world had unrealistic expectations before the season. Based on the number of new players on O and the number of starts on the O-line especially starts next to the same guy in the same position and then based on one game against Arkansas people had JJ getting a Heisman and us in top 4. When you add how bad our D was last few years we thought Muschamp could walk on water and turn defense around with basically same players not counting the DT's that were good enough to make Pro teams.

Discipline is basically based on Williams and he is gone.

We will have to play well but we can play with KY. KY is a solid team. We will get better maybe even be solid this year.

The issue isn't so much Auburn having an "off year" as the coaches being so blind-sided by it. Nobody I know is asking for CGM's scalp, but many are asking "WTF?" concerning the poor offensive play and play-calling.

Perhaps Gus shouldn't bill his team as championship-ready just before he fields a dumpster fire? I bet the fan and booster response would be less vitriolic.

The issue isn't so much Auburn having an "off year" as the coaches being so blind-sided by it. Nobody I know is asking for CGM's scalp, but many are asking "WTF?" concerning the poor offensive play and play-calling.

Perhaps Gus shouldn't bill his team as championship-ready just before he fields a dumpster fire? I bet the fan and booster response would be less vitriolic.

Certainly not calling for CGM's head, but I agree with the the above. I would also add that the marketing done by the AD certainly added to it. I can't tell you how much stuff I got through the AD as a member of TUF that pumped this team. Our own AD and coaching staff is to blame for misplaced expectations.

Realist

Please do not interpret my question as a challenge to your statement above. This is a sincere question... Did Gus really bill the team as Championship ready? Or was that more the media? Or the fan base?

I probably will comment further to your statement as soon as I google the definition of "vitriolic". ^-^

When you hear your DC make the comment no team has to throw the ball against Auburn is just one indication of how frustrated he is.

Yep, and when he mentions publically that in all his years of coaching he's never seen a "culture" like this AU program.......that's even more troublesome.

When you hear your DC make the comment no team has to throw the ball against Auburn is just one indication of how frustrated he is.

Yep, and when he mentions publically that in all his years of coaching he's never seen a "culture" like this AU program.......that's even more troublesome.

I agree.

I'm afraid Auburn has generated a reputation (perhaps well deserved) that the fan base and the administration will turn on you in an instant.

T. Bowden goes undefeated one year..then gets run out of town a couple of years later.

"Fear the thumb"...then the Petrino incident and eventually Tubbs gets run out of town.

Chiz win NC ... then gets run out of town 2 years later.

And now the momentum is starting to build on Gus.

What are recruits and their parents supposed to think? I have no doubt that many recruits with both talent and strong character are avoiding us. So what does Gus have to do to put a good team on the field? He has to heavily hit the more questionable character kids not wanted by the more stable programs and the JC option. By definition, any real talent coming out of JC are players needing a second chance. Otherwise they would already be on a strong Div 1 team. Sometimes things work well for us (i.e Cam) but many times we end up with a Duke or we have players involved in shootings around campus. No team can sustain a high level of performance under these conditions.

Pat Dye was an outstanding coach. But there were some "off" years. Paterno had "off" years. So did Saban. And Bobby Bowden. But the stability of their programs eventually resulted in long term success.

We are having an "off" year. And I'm sure you will see me in future posts questioning play calls and who should be playing quarterback (etc.). But I feel that this coaching staff is capable of giving Auburn many years of top notch football.

Therefore, I am still on the Gus Bus. And I will continue to be until I realize that our fan base and/or administration has created an atmosphere so negative that there is no way Gus can perform his job.

I think the whole Auburn cans coaches too quick thing is a little overblown because of the recent history. Between Dye and Chiz there were only two coaches. Bowden got 6 years and Tubbs had 10 so no we didn't run off baby Bowden right after his success and there were other things going on with him too. Tubbs started a little slow, had a great run in the middle and finished slow but Auburn was patient until the Tony Franklin debacle. As far as Chiz goes if you couldn't see the writing on the wall after 2012 I can't help you. He had to go. I'm not ready to cash in the chips on Gus yet but Auburn football is too important and big money to far too many people to be run into the ground like this on a regular basis. For the love of goodness you would think with all the advantages we have we could find one coach to bring consistency where a down year is 8-4. After watching 30 plus years of the Auburn roller coaster though I am starting to doubt that is even possible.

Realist

Please do not interpret my question as a challenge to your statement above. This is a sincere question... Did Gus really bill the team as Championship ready? Or was that more the media? Or the fan base?

I probably will comment further to your statement as soon as I google the definition of "vitriolic". ^-^

I probably should have said," Gus shouldn't have allowed his team to be billed as "Championship-ready". But that wouldn't quite cover it, either.

To get the real flavor of what was said and not-said, you'd need to go back and read all the media day and A-Game quotes and the interviews. Gus most-likely did not actually say "Championship-ready", but I certainly got the impression that he bought into that hype. He touted the defense and how great it looked and that he was pleased Muschamps D looked so good against his offense. It guess just never occurred to him that he actually had a shabby defense and his offense was worse.

There was an article recently where one media hack actually came out and in not so many words accused Gus of leading the media on. I took a moment to look for it. (I thought it was ESPN, but maybe CBSSports?) Anyway, there's plenty of blame to go around. ADs like to sell a program, and the media love to hype what's hot. But I put a lot of the responsibility on Gus for not recognizing and acknowledging the problems with his team. A little CWM-esque humility in response to the hype would have gone a long way to have lessened the current pain of this tumble to mediocrity.

Gus still has a lot to learn and I hope he learned from this.

I'm still asking "WTF?" about a lot of things with this team. The defense, btw, isn't one of them.

I can defend Auburn on the quick trigger thing.

I can't speak to the Bowden situation. That happened fast. I can say that Pat Dye's down years were not losing seasons. When they became losing seasons, with the NCAA breathing down his neck, he had to go. Saban doesn't do losing seasons. Bobby Bowden didn't do losing seasons. So those comparisons make no sense. Paterno went a whole generation before surviving a losing season, so he's an exception.

With Tuberville Auburn was experiencing a steady decline over three consecutive seasons. 2008 was no abberation but a culmination. It was a close call, but his departure made sense.

2012 was Auburn's worst season in 50 years, and it was clear the program had fallen apart.

Right now, I'm concerned. It's not about 2015. It's about everything that's happened in the past 11.5 months. We haven't won a conference game. It's not a single bad season, it's a trend that crosses seasons.

Now, I missed Muschamp saying something about Auburn's culture. Would someone share a link?

When did Gus hype the team as championship caliber. I remember for sure he said we were young and would experience growing pains, though.

Unless someone can show where he hyped the team up I feel like people are putting blame on Gus for media projections based solely on the coaching staff resumes on the AU sideline.

I can't speak to the Bowden situation.

I can. That was 100% the board of trustees, specifically Lowder and Rane, who were behind his dismissal. Several days before anything went public, I was getting my haircut by the same guy who cut Jimmy Rane's hair, and he told me that Jimmy was bragging to him about how they were going to "run that SOB out of town". Bowden managed to get on their bad side for more than just the play on the field.

Archived