Question for Golf and/or WarDamnEagleWDE

CR

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How many times have we had a chance to hire a real AD? Yet, we get housel and jacobs, and a monster scoreboard.

Jacobs did get Pearl. That's about it.

So will JJ finally be given the boot after this year?

How many times have we had a chance to hire a real AD? Yet, we get housel and jacobs, and a monster scoreboard.

Jacobs did get Pearl. That's about it.

True. Somehow managed to trip over a NC with GC. Proof there is a God.

You 2 guys seem to be the most informed of any of the posters on this board. I have noticed a much more pessimistic tone from both of you in the past few weeks in several threads regarding recruiting and other topics. Would both/either of you be willing to share your thoughts regarding the overall state of the football program and where you see things headed in the next few months? I appreciate all of the insight you provide to this board. Thanks.

My take from talking to many people who are connected with the football program is its one big old mess. I'm not going to go into any specifics but this all lies at the feet of twp people. Jay Jacobs & Gus. AU will just not get out of AU's way. And you are going to see some changes next year. I hope it's the changes Gus makes and not the other way around. Talking about staff changes.

AU went old school last week so lets see what happens at the UK game. I'm told the plan is to give JJ a shot. JJ won't start but will play in the 2Q. And AU is going to let him sling it around. If JJ shines then game on and AU will move forward with JJ. Gus/CRL still think JJ is the man. If JJ fails then Gus is going to grind it out, like we have seen the last few games, and try not to get blown out. Gus thinks this will buy him another year. That's it. If JJ does not play this week he really looked bad at practice.

Recruiting? Don't get me started. Kyle Davis was in but now not so much. Sucks is all I can say. And AU is going to have to load up with JUCO players again. Not a good way to build a program.

So all in all my take on this is Gus & Jay are in way over their heads and in the end it will be the AU people that will suffer.

IMO.

This team seems to be no want, no way, no how.

Starts from the top.

Gus thinks this will buy him another year. That's it.

Another year? He thinks he's that close to being fired? And yet he still refuses to listen? Does anyone else think he's that close? Like people that can actually fire him? That's simply amazing....

I don't get it....a career football coach can not run a program? I mean Gus sleeps and eats football. Maybe he does not have full control of outside booster influence but to discount Gus in this context puzzles me. I just have to ask what problems do Richt, Sumlin, Golden, Freeze, Miles, and other coaches of top notch programs that have had 8-5 seasons, some with zero championships have. Richt just got waxed at home by Bama in the worst way possible no way UGA should have looked that inept, Freeze got buffed on the road by UF after winning big at Bama. Sumlin took a 59-0 loss to UA last season and has not sniffed a West title since getting to SEC. Miles 8-5 last season, with some ugly losses along the way. There are many scenarios where teams and coaches have had bad games and seasons where things did not go as predicted. Why is it when AU has a down season its perceived as a "cluster u know what" where someone does not know what they are doing, someone is in over there head, or there is too much booster meddling. All these insiders with connections here and there may be part of the problem. I guess this round robin of coaches will continue until a coach can come in and have absolute control without all the outside influence.

The "Auburn culture" quote supposedly happened years ago just after he left Auburn. I've never heard it or seen it.

Thanks for that. I'd caught that part, so your reply is helpful.

I'm fearing what Golf & WDE are seeing -- a sense of being overwhelmed by the situation. I'm just speaking my fears here, not informed opinions. But some people are really good at taking something and boosting it, then they struggle to sustain it. Others build from scratch and keep building on that foundation. It's possible Chizik and Malzahn are both people who can take a certain kind of situation and turn it around but struggle with the management part.

Like I said, this is just fear. I don't know. But the commonalities between the two regimes are a shockingly quick turnaround, followed by just a decline just as marked. Internal conflicts are always ready to emerge, and losing brings them out, but you wonder why so much whining from a few key players. (Thank God, it's not the whole.) I know I keep saying this, but our decline didn't start this year. Something happened last year, when the defense just found itself helpless.

I don't really have an opinion on JJ as AD, could someone do better...yes, but there are definitely some that could do worse. If he goes I would not miss him, but on the same note I would not be disappointed if he stayed. But really has he done that bad of a job though. He hired Pearl, but if he was as incompetent as some make him to be one would guess he would have ignored Pearl (due to his NCAA issues) and hired another Barbee. Please don't leave out his hire of Myers either, women's softball was irrelevant prior to him getting here. Gus probably just wants all the meddling people out of his ear so he can run the program.

Thanks WDE. Not good news to hear, but i appreciate your perspective on the current situation.

The "Auburn culture" quote supposedly happened years ago just after he left Auburn. I've never heard it or seen it.

Thanks for that. I'd caught that part, so your reply is helpful.

I'm fearing what Golf & WDE are seeing -- a sense of being overwhelmed by the situation. I'm just speaking my fears here, not informed opinions. But some people are really good at taking something and boosting it, then they struggle to sustain it. Others build from scratch and keep building on that foundation. It's possible Chizik and Malzahn are both people who can take a certain kind of situation and turn it around but struggle with the management part.

Like I said, this is just fear. I don't know. But the commonalities between the two regimes are a shockingly quick turnaround, followed by just a decline just as marked. Internal conflicts are always ready to emerge, and losing brings them out, but you wonder why so much whining from a few key players. (Thank God, it's not the whole.) I know I keep saying this, but our decline didn't start this year. Something happened last year, when the defense just found itself helpless.

Well, the common denominator for the Chizik and Malzahn eras is Malzahn. Which is why earlier in the thread I wondered allowed if maybe Chizik saw something he didn't like in the way Gus handles certain things. Have no info to that effect, just thinking aloud.

Whatever the cause, it looks as though when things go bad, instead of pulling together, adapting and overcoming, the team, or maybe just certain members, or maybe the coaches, suffer a crisis of confidence. We've got to get over that crap. You lose your players' confidence and your season is finished.

The only common denominator I see is Jacobs, and maybe he allows too many outsiders influence his decisions, which in turn impacts the decisions Gus is allowed to make.

It's like a sea of tears on AU family today. I feel like someone's puppy just got run over. Maybe, just maybe, it's all going to be ok and we're just having a mediocre season. Just because we are underwhelming doesn't automatically mean the wheels are falling off and it's going to be a dumpster fire. Sometimes your QB turns out to be bad, your best Defensive player has a season-ending injury, and your best Offensive player can't control his attitude and gets booted. Not to mention lots of young players adjusting to the college game and a suspect DL. Little things can add up and turn a good team into a below average team pretty quickly. Sometimes your team just has a lot of unfortunate breaks during a particular season. Tons of teams going through the same things we are.

What I care about is #1) Are the players we put out there playing hard? So far YES. #2) Are we continuing to improve? I think the answer is Yes but will wait to see how we perform against Kentucky.

As of right now Gus does not know how to lead a big time college football program. Gus is very unorganized. Gus is no a very good leader. Gus is very stubborn. He is flying by the seat of his pants right now. No other way to look at this. Can he find his way? Sure if he will listen. Gus has some very good football people in his ear trying to help.

Jay. Don't even get me started.

My Goodness!

We have a Head Coach that is in the midst of "on the job training" at a big time program in the toughest conference in the damn country.

Stubborn to the point that it becomes detrimental to the on-the-field performance is a problem. Unorganized at the Head Coach level in this conference is a problem. Lack of true, decisive leadership from the Head freaking Coach is a BIG problem. Flying by the seat of your pants in your third year as a HC, WTF? :banghead:

Well, the common denominator for the Chizik and Malzahn eras is Malzahn. Which is why earlier in the thread I wondered allowed if maybe Chizik saw something he didn't like in the way Gus handles certain things. Have no info to that effect, just thinking aloud.

Actually, the denominator is Jacobs, and it spans the Tuberville era too.

I agree that it seems like everyone is blowing things out of proportion. Yes, we're having a down year, but we are also a couple of rookie QB playing in his first ever game mistakes away from being 4 and 1, with the one loss coming against a team that no one has been able to slow down. Yes, our D is struggling, but we also know that Johnson instilled no discipline or fire in them. Muschamp has basically said that to the press, and it's going to take more than one off season to fix that. Yes, Malzhan didn't know that JJ was going to panic under pressure. If there's one thing you can fault him on it's that he apparently doesn't have a solution for fixing mental problems quickly. I think Malzhan's biggest issue that he needs to get over is that he is too protective of players coming out of high school, and I think that is because of Keihl Frazier. Every since Keihl fell apart, Gus is afraid to throw a player out there and just let them figure it out. He wants to carefully ease them into the job. I'm pretty certain that's why he won't open up the playbook for Sean. He's afraid he's going to ruin him like Frazier. I think that's also why he's a fan of JuCo players. He doesn't feel that he needs to be as protective of them.

The other thing we are suffering from a bit is our own success. Chizik and Gus created a recruiting culture like Auburn has never seen, and the top players have been jumping at the chance to play at Auburn. Unfortunately many top players bring with them challenging personalities, and these personalities just keep getting worse as the entire generation gets more entitled. I think this is Gus's biggest struggle as he takes the job of making good men out of the players very seriously, and hates to give up on anyone. I, for one, am glad Auburn is not one of the schools who lets their star players run wild just so they can keep them happy and winning games, but it does make it harder to be consistently top tier.

Other than that, you are looking at a team that is snake-bit. We have injuries to key players at just the wrong moment, we can't keep an offensive group together long enough to really click, and when it looks like things are finally clicking, something inexplicable happens, from a "new to the position" player mistake to our normally ridiculously reliable kicker missing an easy field goal. You can't blame any of that on Gus, JJ or anyone else on the coaching stuff... it just happens.

On the positive side, we have a running back on track for a 1000 yard season and 2 other running backs (maybe 3) who show serious promise, our special teams has been returning to form, and while it's incremental, you can see improvement in the D, which bodes well for the future.

While I don't doubt the plausibility that Gus is having to deal with external interference (AU has always had alumni, trustees, etc who can't keep their nose out of things), I have a lot of trouble believing that Gus doesn't know how to run a program. If there is an issue with Jacobs, it very much would be that he's not keeping the program insulated from such things. If that's the case, then he needs to be dealt with.

The only common denominator I see is Jacobs, and maybe he allows too many outsiders influence his decisions, which in turn impacts the decisions Gus is allowed to make.

Did you add in the denominator from the Arkansas job in your calculation? Gus was at the core and escaped to Tulsa in the wake of a huge fiasco. Coincidence? IDK?

We ALL know Jay Jacobs is a puppet and always has been, so was his predecessor.

You have to be a puppet to run AU Athletics, the boosters/supporters are too damn strong to be anything else.

I agree that it seems like everyone is blowing things out of proportion. Yes, we're having a down year, but we are also a couple of rookie QB playing in his first ever game mistakes away from being 4 and 1, with the one loss coming against a team that no one has been able to slow down. Yes, our D is struggling, but we also know that Johnson instilled no discipline or fire in them. Muschamp has basically said that to the press, and it's going to take more than one off season to fix that. Yes, Malzhan didn't know that JJ was going to panic under pressure. If there's one thing you can fault him on it's that he apparently doesn't have a solution for fixing mental problems quickly. I think Malzhan's biggest issue that he needs to get over is that he is too protective of players coming out of high school, and I think that is because of Keihl Frazier. Every since Keihl fell apart, Gus is afraid to throw a player out there and just let them figure it out. He wants to carefully ease them into the job. I'm pretty certain that's why he won't open up the playbook for Sean. He's afraid he's going to ruin him like Frazier. I think that's also why he's a fan of JuCo players. He doesn't feel that he needs to be as protective of them.

The other thing we are suffering from a bit is our own success. Chizik and Gus created a recruiting culture like Auburn has never seen, and the top players have been jumping at the chance to play at Auburn. Unfortunately many top players bring with them challenging personalities, and these personalities just keep getting worse as the entire generation gets more entitled. I think this is Gus's biggest struggle as he takes the job of making good men out of the players very seriously, and hates to give up on anyone. I, for one, am glad Auburn is not one of the schools who lets their star players run wild just so they can keep them happy and winning games, but it does make it harder to be consistently top tier.

Other than that, you are looking at a team that is snake-bit. We have injuries to key players at just the wrong moment, we can't keep an offensive group together long enough to really click, and when it looks like things are finally clicking, something inexplicable happens, from a "new to the position" player mistake to our normally ridiculously reliable kicker missing an easy field goal. You can't blame any of that on Gus, JJ or anyone else on the coaching stuff... it just happens.

On the positive side, we have a running back on track for a 1000 yard season and 2 other running backs (maybe 3) who show serious promise, our special teams has been returning to form, and while it's incremental, you can see improvement in the D, which bodes well for the future.

While I don't doubt the plausibility that Gus is having to deal with external interference (AU has always had alumni, trustees, etc who can't keep their nose out of things), I have a lot of trouble believing that Gus doesn't know how to run a program. If there is an issue with Jacobs, it very much would be that he's not keeping the program insulated from such things. If that's the case, then he needs to be dealt with.

More posts like this please.

It's like a sea of tears on AU family today. I feel like someone's puppy just got run over. Maybe, just maybe, it's all going to be ok and we're just having a mediocre season. Just because we are underwhelming doesn't automatically mean the wheels are falling off and it's going to be a dumpster fire. Sometimes your QB turns out to be bad, your best Defensive player has a season-ending injury, and your best Offensive player can't control his attitude and gets booted. Not to mention lots of young players adjusting to the college game and a suspect DL. Little things can add up and turn a good team into a below average team pretty quickly. Sometimes your team just has a lot of unfortunate breaks during a particular season. Tons of teams going through the same things we are.

What I care about is #1) Are the players we put out there playing hard? So far YES. #2) Are we continuing to improve? I think the answer is Yes but will wait to see how we perform against Kentucky.

I agree....

Although I have no inside info it would seem there are some deep lying problems which have plagued this team since last year. Hopefully, Thursday night will mark the beginning of the turn around. But from what I'm reading and hearing, it could mark the beginning of the end.

As of right now Gus does not know how to lead a big time college football program. Gus is very unorganized. Gus is no a very good leader. Gus is very stubborn. He is flying by the seat of his pants right now. No other way to look at this. Can he find his way? Sure if he will listen. Gus has some very good football people in his ear trying to help.

That was a concern of mine when he was hired. He spent plenty of time coaching high school, but only one year as a head coach of a minor program. This is not a minor program, and it's definitely not high school. Auburn pays too much money to hire guys that still need to figure out how to do the job.

If Gus is indeed unorganized, not a good leader, and stubborn, then we have a serious problem. That said, if he is not a good leader, how in the world did he ever get this far in coaching? If the above is true, those are character issues that will always prevent him from succeeding at this job. I do not think there is anyone he can talk to that can fix that, regardless of whether they happen to be right. If he needs to talk to someone, the best source of help he could find just resigned from South Carolina; he has the time.

That was a concern of mine when he was hired. He spent plenty of time coaching high school, but only one year as a head coach of a minor program. This is not a minor program, and it's definitely not high school. Auburn pays too much money to hire guys that still need to figure out how to do the job.

If Gus is indeed unorganized, not a good leader, and stubborn, then we have a serious problem. That said, if he is not a good leader, how in the world did he ever get this far in coaching? If the above is true, those are character issues that will always prevent him from succeeding at this job. I do not think there is anyone he can talk to that can fix that, regardless of whether they happen to be right. If he needs to talk to someone, the best source of help he could find just resigned from South Carolina; he has the time.

Oh, AU has a serious problem on their hands, no doubt. When you get down to the nuts and bolts of a massive operation like AU football, you want and need a man that has a few years of experience running a football program under his belt. Arkansas State is miniscule on a scale when compared to Auburn.

IMHO, I think his once revolutionary offensive genius propelled him to the stratosphere of the AU head coach caliber making +$4mm/yr.

Gus is training on the job, and with the new contract extension and hefty buyout just recently executed by our AD, we fans better buckle up and get ready for a rough ride until Gus sorts this thing out.

The thing is that this is not just this year. Need I remind you that we lost 4 out of the last 5 last year?

That being said, it could still turn around. However. 2016 had better be something very, VERY special.

If I hear one more person say A) "We're having a down year," or B) (stupid emoticon) "We're the victim of expectations," I will take a picture of my socks and put it on the internet.

We are not having a bad year. We are on a 5-game SEC losing streak that dates back to November 8. Scores....

A&M 41, Auburn 38

Georgia 34, Auburn 7

Alabama 55, Auburn 44 (the most encouraging of the bunch, actually)

LSU 45, Auburn 21

State 17, Auburn 9

In that period we've played two other Big 5 teams. We lost a close one to Wisconsin (giving up 400 yards rushing), and we won a close one against Louisville. Otherwise, we've beaten Samford, Jax State, and San Jose.

As for "victims of expectations," several of us thought we were overrated at the season's beginning. We knew we were counting on very talented guys who had not accomplished much yet. No doubt, JJ's performance, Duke's whatever it was, and injuries to Lawson and Matthews have hurt. But so far this team has been very, very poor.

I'm an optimist. Teams can click at some point, and we've had a bye week. Close wins, even against weak opposition, can really help a team. So maybe we'll see something Thursday night. But please, not the "it's just a bad year" crap.

The thing is that this is not just this year. Need I remind you that we lost 4 out of the last 5 last year?

The 4 out of 5 we lost last year were almost entirely on the D, which we have already established was left in shambles by Johnson. Don't forget that Gus's offense that "everyone has figured out" racked up 630 yards against Bama, the #1 D in the nation, in the Iron Bowl last year.

Now, if you want to blame Gus for letting Johnson continue the downward slide of the D, then go ahead. You'd be right. I'd be willing to bet it happened because he didn't want to be like Chizik, interfering with the side of the ball that wasn't his specialty. Now, with Muschamp, he doesn't have to. He just has to concentrate on getting the offense cranking and let Will do his job.

If I hear one more person say A) "We're having a down year," or B)/> (stupid emoticon) "We're the victim of expectations," I will take a picture of my socks and put it on the internet.

We are not having a bad year. We are on a 5-game SEC losing streak that dates back to November 8. Scores....

A&M 41, Auburn 38

Georgia 34, Auburn 7

Alabama 55, Auburn 44 (the most encouraging of the bunch, actually)

LSU 45, Auburn 21

State 17, Auburn 9

In that period we've played two other Big 5 teams. We lost a close one to Wisconsin (giving up 400 yards rushing), and we won a close one against Louisville. Otherwise, we've beaten Samford, Jax State, and San Jose.

As for "victims of expectations," several of us thought we were overrated at the season's beginning. We knew we were counting on very talented guys who had not accomplished much yet. No doubt, JJ's performance, Duke's whatever it was, and injuries to Lawson and Matthews have hurt. But so far this team has been very, very poor.

I'm an optimist. Teams can click at some point, and we've had a bye week. Close wins, even against weak opposition, can really help a team. So maybe we'll see something Thursday night. But please, not the "it's just a bad year" crap.

Pretty much this.

And I called Gus being ill-prepared to coach at AU after the JSU game.It's been plainly obvious to those who are willing to see it.

^^So? It's still Gus's team. We have now blown TWO #6 preseason rankings. We have not won an SEC game since OM last year. Spare me the excuses. A good coach can fight adversity, keep the team together, and not fold when one player gets injured. tOSU says hi.

Archived