Question for Golf and/or WarDamnEagleWDE

CR

If I hear one more person say A) "We're having a down year," or B)/> (stupid emoticon) "We're the victim of expectations," I will take a picture of my socks and put it on the internet.

We are not having a bad year. We are on a 5-game SEC losing streak that dates back to November 8. Scores....

A&M 41, Auburn 38

Georgia 34, Auburn 7

Alabama 55, Auburn 44 (the most encouraging of the bunch, actually)

LSU 45, Auburn 21

State 17, Auburn 9

In that period we've played two other Big 5 teams. We lost a close one to Wisconsin (giving up 400 yards rushing), and we won a close one against Louisville. Otherwise, we've beaten Samford, Jax State, and San Jose.

As for "victims of expectations," several of us thought we were overrated at the season's beginning. We knew we were counting on very talented guys who had not accomplished much yet. No doubt, JJ's performance, Duke's whatever it was, and injuries to Lawson and Matthews have hurt. But so far this team has been very, very poor.

I'm an optimist. Teams can click at some point, and we've had a bye week. Close wins, even against weak opposition, can really help a team. So maybe we'll see something Thursday night. But please, not the "it's just a bad year" crap.

Pretty much this.

And I called Gus being ill-prepared to coach at AU after the JSU game.It's been plainly obvious to those who are willing to see it.

I must have missed your post saying that. Do you mind elaborating on that one more time? Seeing as you are a coach I'm interested in what you are seeing specifically that shows CGM is not preparing the team well.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I hear one more person say A) "We're having a down year," or B)/> (stupid emoticon) "We're the victim of expectations," I will take a picture of my socks and put it on the internet.

We are not having a bad year. We are on a 5-game SEC losing streak that dates back to November 8. Scores....

A&M 41, Auburn 38

Georgia 34, Auburn 7

LSU 45, Auburn 21

State 17, Auburn 9

In that period we've played two other Big 5 teams. We lost a close one to Wisconsin (giving up 400 yards rushing), and we won a close one against Louisville. Otherwise, we've beaten Samford, Jax State, and San Jose.

As for "victims of expectations," several of us thought we were overrated at the season's beginning. We knew we were counting on very talented guys who had not accomplished much yet. No doubt, JJ's performance, Duke's whatever it was, and injuries to Lawson and Matthews have hurt. But so far this team has been very, very poor.

I'm an optimist. Teams can click at some point, and we've had a bye week. Close wins, even against weak opposition, can really help a team. So maybe we'll see something Thursday night. But please, not the "it's just a bad year" crap.

Pretty much this.

And I called Gus being ill-prepared to coach at AU after the JSU game.It's been plainly obvious to those who are willing to see it.

I must have missed your post saying that. Do you mind elaborating on that one more time? Seeing as you are a coach I'm interested in what you are seeing specifically that shows CGM is not preparing the team well.

It was one of those "Thoughts about the game threads" and I said something to the effect of " I'm becoming less and less sure that Gus is the right man for this job."

I don't understand!When Gus was hired everyone talked about how organized Gus was down to the last detail,now all of a sudden he can't organize,what is up with that?I'm no insider and don't know what is wrong with this team,but it started last year like some of you are saying and it ain't over yet.Hope things get turned around soon for all of our sakes,Gus included.

I don't understand!When Gus was hired everyone talked about how organized Gus was down to the last detail,now all of a sudden he can't organize,what is up with that?I'm no insider and don't know what is wrong with this team,but it started last year like some of you are saying and it ain't over yet.Hope things get turned around soon for all of our sakes,Gus included.

That was all one posters opinion....not fact

Gus was organized when all he had to do was run an offense. That's a fraction of what his responsibilities are now. You can't diagram the operations of an entire football program with salt and pepper shakers in the cafeteria at lunchtime.

Actually that came from some announcers on TV from one of our games after Gus was hired.They kept praising him for being so organized and comparing him to Saban in how he organized everything down to the last detail.I know you can't trust everything you hear on TV or message boards either so take it for what it's worth.Not much.

Actually that came from some announcers on TV from one of our games after Gus was hired.They kept praising him for being so organized and comparing him to Saban in how he organized everything down to the last detail.I know you can't trust everything you hear on TV or message boards either so take it for what it's worth.Not much.

I agree with you...it was a posters opinion he was not organized....he has been successful every where he has coached, and has an SEC title and near NC title something a lot of so called more organized coaches don't have.

A&M 41, Auburn 38

Georgia 34, Auburn 7

LSU 45, Auburn 21

State 17, Auburn 9

Pretty much this.

Let me preface this by saying this is just my opinion. I don't profess to know everything about Gus or how he runs the program. This is just what I perceive from the outside looking in.

I was absolutely thrilled when we hired Gus as offensive coordinator prior to the '09 season. Thrilled. I was decidedly less enthused when we hired him to be our head coach. I think Gus is made to be a coordinator and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. He's an Xs and Os guy, not a program manager and charismatic leader. Some of the worst coaches I know are BRILLIANT Xs and Os strategists but cannot run a program to save their lives. They can't motive or communicate. Their players don't want to succeed FOR them, they want to succeed DESPITE them. They fail to see the "big picture". Being a head coach is all about the "big picture" and so many coaches don't understand that. Here's a few of the things that caught my eye as potential red flags:

1) I think one of the first things that a good coach instills in his/her program is discipline. That emcompasses a few different areas... Players staying out of trouble/ being held accountable for their actions and players learning and being able to execute their basic assignments (fundamentals). Auburn has struggled with both of these since Gus' arrival. Our fundamentals on both sides of the ball are ATROCIOUS. Off the field discipline hasn't been exactly stellar but that is hard to control. The on-field discipline is much, much easier to control. I have no patience for a coach who cannot instill discipline.

2) Gus' insistence on bringing along Lashlee. Iron sharpens iron and some of the best assistant coaches I've had have challenged me and my way of thinking(to a certain degree). Assistants should be able to support the head coach but also present new ideas and angles. I really doubt RL does this. I think RL is a safety blanket for Gus and I find that very concerning.

3) The way the team absolutely spiralled out of control last year and this year. Teams have bad games and lose games they shouldn't... Good coaches limit these but it still happens to most everyone. What you cannot allow to happen is that one poor performance turning into multiple poor performances. A strong coach should be able to quickly snap his team back to reality and back into solid form. Gus has shown that he is almost powerless to affect the team's moral/ performance level. They just do not seem respond to him.

4) His stubbornness. AU fans have been frustrated with Gus' playcalling going all the way back to 2011. He calls the same play over and over and over and over... The bubble screens, the 3rd and long draw etc. He will not step outside of his comfort zone. The fact that he took so long to bring SW into the fold is telling. Everyone could see JJ was drowning out there but Gus could not step outside of the box he'd created. Not even for a series to allow JJ time to get his head in the right spot. There's a saying "Always know when to stop the drill"...basically if a drill that you've introduced in practice isn't working, don't be ashamed/uncomfortable stopping the drill and moving on. It happens...figure out something new. Gus strikes me as the type of guy who just doesn't know when the drill isn't working or does know and is unwilling to admit it. Good coaches adapt.

5) Again I go back to the Xs and Os. Being a great strategist DOES NOT make you a great coach. It doesn't even ensure that you'll be an average coach. There's so much more to it than drawing up plays. Great coaches are efficient managers and charismatic leaders. They're able to get their players to 100% buy into their system and follow them to the gates of hell. Gus' nickname of "mad scientist" doesn't exactly conjure up notions of being able to motivate and manage large groups of people.

6)The "high school" offense. Gus is here because of his offensive prowess. How sure are we that this offense is what we want leading us for the next 10 years? The lack of creativity, over simplification can only work for so long. This offense really is something you would install for a 9th grade QB who you don't want to have to process too much on the field. Our receivers don't run routes because they KNOW the ball is only going to one guy. Our QBs are unable to audible at the line. The fact that LSU jumped JJs snap count over and over and over and nobody thought to change is up is frightening. The mental aspect of the game is completely stripped away from our QBs and that is alarming. Are we really sure that this offensive philosophy is sustainable?

I'm sure I'll get flamed for this but Tiger asked so here you go... Again, this is just my opinion from an outside perspective. I'm not professing to be an expert.

A&M 41, Auburn 38

Georgia 34, Auburn 7

LSU 45, Auburn 21

State 17, Auburn 9

Pretty much this.

Let me preface this by saying this is just my opinion. I don't profess to know everything about Gus or how he runs the program. This is just what I perceive from the outside looking in.

I was absolutely thrilled when we hired Gus as offensive coordinator prior to the '09 season. Thrilled. I was decidedly less enthused when we hired him to be our head coach. I think Gus is made to be a coordinator and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. He's an Xs and Os guy, not a program manager and charismatic leader. Some of the worst coaches I know are BRILLIANT Xs and Os strategists but cannot run a program to save their lives. They can't motive or communicate. Their players don't want to succeed FOR them, they want to succeed DESPITE them. They fail to see the "big picture". Being a head coach is all about the "big picture" and so many coaches don't understand that. Here's a few of the things that caught my eye as potential red flags:

1) I think one of the first things that a good coach instills in his/her program is discipline. That emcompasses a few different areas... Players staying out of trouble/ being held accountable for their actions and players learning and being able to execute their basic assignments (fundamentals). Auburn has struggled with both of these since Gus' arrival. Our fundamentals on both sides of the ball are ATROCIOUS. Off the field discipline hasn't been exactly stellar but that is hard to control. The on-field discipline is much, much easier to control. I have no patience for a coach who cannot instill discipline.

2) Gus' insistence on bringing along Lashlee. Iron sharpens iron and some of the best assistant coaches I've had have challenged me and my way of thinking(to a certain degree). Assistants should be able to support the head coach but also present new ideas and angles. I really doubt RL does this. I think RL is a safety blanket for Gus and I find that very concerning.

3) The way the team absolutely spiralled out of control last year and this year. Teams have bad games and lose games they shouldn't... Good coaches limit these but it still happens to most everyone. What you cannot allow to happen is that one poor performance turning into multiple poor performances. A strong coach should be able to quickly snap his team back to reality and back into solid form. Gus has shown that he is almost powerless to affect the team's moral/ performance level. They just do not seem respond to him.

4) His stubbornness. AU fans have been frustrated with Gus' playcalling going all the way back to 2011. He calls the same play over and over and over and over... The bubble screens, the 3rd and long draw etc. He will not step outside of his comfort zone. The fact that he took so long to bring SW into the fold is telling. Everyone could see JJ was drowning out there but Gus could not step outside of the box he'd created. Not even for a series to allow JJ time to get his head in the right spot. There's a saying "Always know when to stop the drill"...basically if a drill that you've introduced in practice isn't working, don't be ashamed/uncomfortable stopping the drill and moving on. It happens...figure out something new. Gus strikes me as the type of guy who just doesn't know when the drill isn't working or does know and is unwilling to admit it. Good coaches adapt.

5) Again I go back to the Xs and Os. Being a great strategist DOES NOT make you a great coach. It doesn't even ensure that you'll be an average coach. There's so much more to it than drawing up plays. Great coaches are efficient managers and charismatic leaders. They're able to get their players to 100% buy into their system and follow them to the gates of hell. Gus' nickname of "mad scientist" doesn't exactly conjure up notions of being able to motivate and manage large groups of people.

6)The "high school" offense. Gus is here because of his offensive prowess. How sure are we that this offense is what we want leading us for the next 10 years? The lack of creativity, over simplification can only work for so long. This offense really is something you would install for a 9th grade QB who you don't want to have to process too much on the field. Our receivers don't run routes because they KNOW the ball is only going to one guy. Our QBs are unable to audible at the line. The fact that LSU jumped JJs snap count over and over and over and nobody thought to change is up is frightening. The mental aspect of the game is completely stripped away from our QBs and that is alarming. Are we really sure that this offensive philosophy is sustainable?

I'm sure I'll get flamed for this but Tiger asked so here you go... Again, this is just my opinion from an outside perspective. I'm not professing to be an expert.

I won't flame you - I think your post is spot on. A head coach is much more of a general manager than hands on coach. Saw a great interview with Paterno years ago where he explained that he did little coaching as a head coach. Put it in the hands of the coordinators and the position coaches and spend your time motivating and deciding when to go on fourth down. When you are a head coach, or general manager you become the conductor and not a musician. I think you have made a sound assessment.

Can't argue with any of that Chimes, seems like an accurate assessment to me.

We hired a Coach that had ONE year experience. Bo and Sully think he is the right guy. Maybe He just needs time.

Gus IS a GREAT Man with character that is unquestionable. Not long ago many said he was a GENIUS. I do agree it is time for him to earn his pay......I am not ready to give up on him. JMHO WDE !!!

I see a bunch of opinions and conjecture with very little actual facts. Seems this board is turning bammer in a hurry. We beat KY and 90 percent of this crap disappears. If this many rumors were in another thread it would be locked down. Someone making all these outlandish claims needs to come with some proof or mods should lock this thing up. No need in continuing this all out bash fest.

I see a bunch of opinions and conjecture with very little actual facts. Seems this board is turning bammer in a hurry. We beat KY and 90 percent of this crap disappears. If this many rumors were in another thread it would be locked down. Someone making all these outlandish claims needs to come with some proof or mods should lock this thing up. No need in continuing this all out bash fest.

WDE has been vetted.

We hired a Coach that had ONE year experience. Bo and Sully think he is the right guy. Maybe He just needs time.

Gus IS a GREAT Man with character that is unquestionable. Not long ago many said he was a GENIUS. I do agree it is time for him to earn his pay......I am not ready to give up on him. JMHO WDE !!!

Talk about the deification of athletes and coaches... I've asked you before why you feel the need to capitalize pronouns referencing Gus...care to explain? I truly am curious.

A&M 41, Auburn 38

Georgia 34, Auburn 7

LSU 45, Auburn 21

State 17, Auburn 9

Pretty much this.

I think you freaking nailed it. And your points are extremely close to how my viewpoint was on Gus and the program currently but am glad that someone with a coaching background could put it into words for me with good explanations. However, I'm not glad that this is what seems to be happening to the AU football program. Thanks for replying, Chimes.

WDE has been vetted.

But he is not actually involved. He claims to have heard this from "people connected to" the program. Are we to believe Gus is really telling people that if JJ fails, he is gonna try and just not get blown out for the remainder of the year and buy himself another year? There is no way in Haites he is saying that. He'd have to be one of the dumbest people on the planet to tell people ahead of time he's not going to even try to win. Just not happening.

WDE has been vetted.

... There is no way in Haites ...

I chuckled.

The one thing I will argue is the notion of stubbornness. Gus calls the same play, over and over again, because his offense is predicated on misdirection. He is trying to establish a pattern in the mind of the opposing DC, so he can then switch it up and get a huge play out of it. Unfortunately this doesn't work when you can't get decent gains on the establishing plays. That will never happen without quality blocking up front and down field.

Also, as far as pulling Jeremy goes, I would be willing to bet that the delay had less to do about him refusing to give up on Jeremy and more about him being concerned about throwing Sean to the wolves (see my previous post about Keihl).

I'll also remind everyone, in reference to the "high school" offense that we run, that in 2013, people were saying it was unfair because it was impossible to defend, and when it is executed properly... it really is. The issue is not the scheme or the calls, it's the execution. Until the O-line mans up and we get some parameter blocking, it's going to continue to look like we don't know what we are doing.

WDE has been vetted.

I chuckled.

Easily the best part.

WDE has been vetted.

I chuckled.

Didn't look at the spelling after autocorrect changed it to capital H. My bad.

Archived