Where the 97% consensus number comes from

cooltigger21

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could this be force fitting the consensus?

France's top weatherman sparks storm over book questioning climate change

Philippe Verdier, weather chief at France Télévisions, the country's state broadcaster, reportedly sent on "forced holiday" for releasing book accusing top climatologists of "taking the world hostage"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/11931645/Frances-top-weatherman-sparks-storm-over-book-questioning-climate-change.html

Philippe Verdier, weather chief at France Télévisions, the country's state broadcaster, reportedly sent on "forced holiday" for releasing book accusing top climatologists of "taking the world hostage"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/11931645/Frances-top-weatherman-sparks-storm-over-book-questioning-climate-change.html

climate change believers are the worst kind of fanatics. They won't lop off your head but their fervor rivals that of Muslim fanatics. They'll go after your reputation and try to destroy you for going against them.

" Xploration Awesome Planet " is a show on t.v. Sat morning. One segment, about glaciers, slipped in a nice indoctrination nugget. Paraphrasing... - ' since the industrial revolution, glaciers have been melting '

Some have. Others haven't. But such a blanket statement, w/ out any qualifiers or further explanation is about as disingenuous as showing a lone polar bear on a block of ice, claiming the arctic ice is melting, and all the polar bears will drown and die. Alone. In the ocean.

And it's entirely our fault.

" Xploration Awesome Planet " is a show on t.v. Sat morning. One segment, about glaciers, slipped in a nice indoctrination nugget. Paraphrasing... - ' since the industrial revolution, glaciers have been melting '

Some have. Others haven't. But such a blanket statement, w/ out any qualifiers or further explanation is about as disingenuous as showing a lone polar bear on a block of ice, claiming the arctic ice is melting, and all the polar bears will drown and die. Alone. In the ocean.

The majority of them have. We've recently hit record lows in total ice and the trend continues downward at an alarming rate.

Regarding the meteorologist in France, I would not personally be bothered if he wants to release a book filled with long since debunked stupidity regarding climate science. What would bother me, were I his boss, is writing an open letter picking a fight with the president of the country and public criticism of me, his employer. If I had an employee that had done that, he's not going to get good vibes from me and I'd tell him to knock it off. If he continued, I'd have to let him go. His opinion may be protected, but his platform is not. Bye.

http://www.telegraph...ate-change.html

climate change believers are the worst kind of fanatics. They won't lop off your head but their fervor rivals that of Muslim fanatics. They'll go after your reputation and try to destroy you for going against them.

That makes a lot of sense. Obviously, given the choice, most people would prefer being beheaded to, having to defend their position on climate change.

Think more. Post less. Please!

The majority of them have. We've recently hit record lows in total ice and the trend continues downward at an alarming rate.

Yes, quite alarming

:-\

We can make all the ice we wont. I got to icemakers.

The retreat of glaciers since 1850 affects the availability of fresh water for irrigation and domestic use, mountain recreation, animals and plants that depend on glacier-melt, and, in the longer term, the level of the oceans. Studied by glaciologists, the temporal coincidence of glacier retreat with the measured increase of atmospheric greenhouse gasses is often cited as an evidentiary underpinning of global warming....

....Subsequently, until about 1940, glaciers around the world retreated as the climate warmed substantially. Glacial retreat slowed and even reversed temporarily, in many cases, between 1950 and 1980 as global temperatures cooled slightly.[3] Since 1980, a significant global warming has led to glacier retreat becoming increasingly rapid and ubiquitous, so much so that some glaciers have disappeared altogether, and the existences of many of the remaining glaciers are threatened. In locations such as the Andes of South America and Himalayas in Asia, the demise of glaciers in these regions has the potential to impact water supplies in those areas.

The retreat of mountain glaciers, notably in western North America, Asia, the Alps and tropical and subtropical regions of South America, Africa andIndonesia, provide evidence for the rise in global temperatures since the late 19th century.[4][5] The acceleration of the rate of retreat since 1995 of key outlet glaciers of the Greenland and West Antarctic ice sheets may foreshadow a rise in sea level, which would impact coastal regions.

https://en.wikipedia...iers_since_1850

Yes, quite alarming

:-\

Yup

GlobalSeaIce.gif

Tiny snap shots always tell the full picture.

Tiny? That's a thirty year graph.

Very tiny. A blink of an eye. Long time for humans, nothing on a planetary scale.

Try 300 years, for starters. More like 3,000 years. And then maybe 300,000 years.

Very tiny. A blink of an eye. Long time for humans, nothing on a planetary scale.

Try 300 years, for starters. More like 3,000 years. And then maybe 300,000 years.

With reconstructions we can go quite far. But not as accurate as direct measurement.

300,000 years ago there obviously would have been more ice, as we're in an interglacial now.

Wasn't all that much ice when the dinosaurs were roaming the planet. That was 65-67 million years ago. And they did so for over 160 million years... are we going to surmise that dino 'gas' created so much methane and c02 that it kept the planet warm for all that time ?

<_<

Wasn't all that much ice when the dinosaurs were roaming the planet. That was 65-67 million years ago. And they did so for over 160 million years... are we going to surmise that dino 'gas' created so much methane and c02 that it kept the planet warm for all that time ?

<_<

CO2 levels were 5 times higher during the time of the dinosaurs. We would be hard pressed to survive given the composition of the atmosphere during that time.

<_<

CO2 levels were 5 times higher during the time of the dinosaurs. We would be hard pressed to survive given the composition of the atmosphere during that time.

Wow, and yet some how life didn't just exist, it flourished !

For 165 million years or more.

<_<

Wow, and yet some how life didn't just exist, it flourished !

For 165 million years or more.

Of course it did. Just not humans and other life from this era.

You're arguing with a strawman. AGW will not wipe out life on earth.

Of course it did. Just not humans and other life from this era.

You're arguing with a strawman. AGW will not wipe out life on earth.

I'm not arguing anything, just stating facts and making comments.

The whole point of this " issue " is that AGW , even if true, isn't the dire catastrophe we're told it is, and we are wasting time , $ and effort getting all worked up over a COMPLETE NON ISSUE !!

You want to focus on renewable energy, cutting pollution and toxins in the environment ? Hey, I'm all on board ! Just stop LYING to us about baby polar bears standing on melting ice blocks in the Arctic ocean and trying to shame us back into the stone age with ads and campaigns that end up hurting billions of people and making a very few people into billionaires.

I'm not arguing anything, just stating facts and making comments.

The whole point of this " issue " is that AGW , even if true, isn't the dire catastrophe we're told it is, and we are wasting time , $ and effort getting all worked up over a COMPLETE NON ISSUE !!

This is a lazy argument by assertion

You want to focus on renewable energy, cutting pollution and toxins in the environment ? Hey, I'm all on board ! Just stop LYING to us about baby polar bears standing on melting ice blocks in the Arctic ocean and trying to shame us back into the stone age with ads and campaigns that end up hurting billions of people and making a very few people into billionaires.

I don't know if you've noticed, but losses in the Arctic are outpacing the models. There's a distinct possibility that we will see an ice free Arctic summer within my lifetime.

I'm 30 by the way.

It's Sunday morning, so yeah, I'm lazy.

And it's not " assertion ", but actual facts. Making energy more costly will only hurt developing nations and put billions of people in a lower standard of living.

I don't know if you've noticed, but losses in the Arctic are outpacing the models. There's a distinct possibility that we will see an ice free Arctic summer within my lifetime.

I'm 30 by the way.

According to AlGore, the Arctic was suppose to be ice free already, by 2013. Now you're saying " with in your life time " ?

It's Sunday morning, so yeah, I'm lazy.

And it's not " assertion ", but actual facts. Making energy more costly will only hurt developing nations and put billions of people in a lower standard of living.

More unsupported assertions and Strawmen. You wouldn't know a fact if it bit you in the rear.

According to AlGore, the Arctic was suppose to be ice free already, by 2013. Now you're saying " with in your life time " ?

Gore's Law confirmed again.

Gore is not a climate scientist, and has had to put his foot in his mouth on this matter more than once. Still more generally correct than the denialists that bring his name up in every debate on the matter.

My argument from authority. Just to show you how to do it right.

Archived