Jovon Robinson

eulessau

Roc has shown more home run ability on our team than anybody else this entire season IMO. He has had a few big plays catching the ball.

He's had homerun chances, but he's been caught from behind the couple of times I remember him getting into the defensive backfield with room.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Roc has shown more home run ability on our team than anybody else this entire season IMO. He has had a few big plays catching the ball.

He's had homerun chances, but he's been caught from behind the couple of times I remember him getting into the defensive backfield with room.

Even so I can't think of a player that has had any longer plays than Roc has. Outside of JJ's big run vs LSU. Maybe there has been, I don't have the best memory.

If Roc does whatever it takes for him to be able to carry the ball at least 15-20 times a game without being scared of injury, he would be amazing and by far our #1 back

If Roc does whatever it takes for him to be able to carry the ball at least 15-20 times a game without being scared of injury, he would be amazing and by far our #1 back

Where are you coming up with this stuff?!

Jim Beam told him .

Jim Beam told him .

Oh, well maybe he'll sober up, then. I thought he was just trolling.

What's up with Jovon Robinson? Is he still injured or is he in Gus's doghouse? Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere, but I haven't read this board in a while.

I think it was both. He was in the doghouse plus he was injured. Doesn't really matter to me though. Do you really want to take some of kerryon's limited snaps and give them to Jovon? Nah..

I do. If Jovon is healthy.

Jim Beam told him .

I was having my own chat with Jim Beam. He said no such thing.

I am considering writing a book about Jovon. I have a working title, "Jovon Robinson, The Lost Year".

There are not enough carries for 4 backs once one back has established himself. Jovon may be as good as some people think but getting in the Doghouse and then a high ankle sprain has made him miss the chance at beginning of the season when we were trying to find who would be our RB. The other 3 RB's have played well enough that at this time Jovon would have to take carries from people who are producing. Unless when he does get a carry he breaks a long run I don't see him getting enough carries to prove himself.

There are not enough carries for 4 backs once one back has established himself. Jovon may be as good as some people think but getting in the Doghouse and then a high ankle sprain has made him miss the chance at beginning of the season when we were trying to find who would be our RB. The other 3 RB's have played well enough that at this time Jovon would have to take carries from people who are producing. Unless when he does get a carry he breaks a long run I don't see him getting enough carries to prove himself.

If all that is true, then what a colossal waste of time and talent when it comes to Jovon and his strange path to finally becoming an Auburn Tiger, only to be used as a bench warmer.

If all that is true, then what a colossal waste of time and talent when it comes to Jovon and his strange path to finally becoming an Auburn Tiger, only to be used as a bench warmer.

I understand and appreciate the tortured path Jovon took to Auburn. However, he's earned nothing except being the 4th string running back. This isn't some rec-league team where everybody gets to play. On most college teams the 4th string RB is looking at a switch to H-back or strong safety. Jovon could end up at either position if he can't beat out the competition.

I am considering writing a book about Jovon. I have a working title, "Jovon Robinson, The Lost Year".

There's a few Auburn Tigers in recent years that could have a similar title..

There seems to be a subset of the fanbase who think that highly touted juco transfers deserve to play simply because they chose lil' ol' Auburn over everybody else, and that we somehow screwed them if they didn't earn their way onto the field for us. Meanwhile, you've got kids who took care of business in high school, got to Auburn as freshmen, put in work in our system for a little while and- surprise- have turned into pretty good football players who have earned the right to play based on merit. Emphasis on the italicized part because, as Mikey points out, this isn't rec-league ball and just as juco guys don't deserve to play just by showing up, neither do 4-year guys just for trying really hard.

And, of course, it's possible that Barber, Thomas and Johnson are just better running backs. I know, I know, it sucks to have other guys that might be better than a guy who's really good.

There seems to be a subset of the fanbase who think that highly touted juco transfers deserve to play simply because they chose lil' ol' Auburn over everybody else, and that we somehow screwed them if they didn't earn their way onto the field for us. Meanwhile, you've got kids who took care of business in high school, got to Auburn as freshmen, put in work in our system for a little while and- surprise- have turned into pretty good football players who have earned the right to play based on merit. Emphasis on the italicized part because, as Mikey points out, this isn't rec-league ball and just as juco guys don't deserve to play just by showing up, neither do 4-year guys just for trying really hard.

And, of course, it's possible that Barber, Thomas and Johnson are just better running backs. I know, I know, it sucks to have other guys that might be better than a guy who's really good.

Yuppppp

Whatever is going on with Robinson, he needs to be ready to step up if Roc can't stop getting hurt in every game.

Yup. Just ask SW how quickly you can go from not playing at all to being the starter... I hope JR is giving his all every day preparing. He will likely get his chance sooner than later barring his own injury

You're a tad off. I'll start with this, Jovon hasn't outperformed the running backs and I'm ok with that. But I'd like to see him be the guy if he earns it. I want JR to do well for a different reason. He was here, on campus and (to my understanding) had the rug pulled out from under him. And when the time came back around he could have gone anywhere. But he came back to us. I think we all kinda, just a little, like a redemption story. This kid went through a lot to be at Auburn so I find it hard given his circumstance to not want him on the field (run on sentence?). Again, if he earns it.

Roc needs to do more North-South running and less East-West dancing.

Stat backs up his view with Stats.

Yep and most will not use their mind with the stats.

This is my issue with people who rely on stats. They only tell part of the story and can be skewed in so many ways. People turn their brains off when they see statistics.

You're a tad off. I'll start with this, Jovon hasn't outperformed the running backs and I'm ok with that. But I'd like to see him be the guy if he earns it. I want JR to do well for a different reason. He was here, on campus and (to my understanding) had the rug pulled out from under him. And when the time came back around he could have gone anywhere. But he came back to us. I think we all kinda, just a little, like a redemption story. This kid went through a lot to be at Auburn so I find it hard given his circumstance to not want him on the field (run on sentence?). Again, if he earns it.

Nah, I'm not off. I was responding to some specific comments about Robinson (and many about Duke Williams) that folks have made all season long. You might not belong in the subset I described, and that's cool.

And I have to play devil's advocate a little bit on Robinson's "redemption story", though. Keep in mind that he came back to the school that produced the SEC's leading rusher and rushing offense each of the last 2 seasons. His position coach has at least 6 guys in the NFL right now (4 off of his last 2 teams). Say what you will about the other position groups- I'd probably agree- but Auburn is a smart business decision for a running back as long as Gus is here.

Look, he might be a great kid and all, but Robinson came out of fall camp as RB3 and then yelled at his head coach on the sideline during a game. And whatever happened the first time around, kid didn't make his grades in high school. Meanwhile, Peyton Barber served his time, kept his head down, earned his snaps and is an honor roll student despite having dyslexia. Roc Thomas is out there cheering for Barber and KJ every time they touch the ball. Any time somebody brings up how good KJ has looked early, somebody else brings up that he's an even better kid. I'm not saying that any of them are any better human beings than Robinson, but I see four guys worth rooting for, and I don't see any reason to root for one of them at another's expense. Which is not exactly what you're saying, but it's exactly what others have said and what I was initially responding to.

Roc needs to do more North-South running and less East-West dancing.

Now would be a good time to clean off the DVR and catch up on the last couple games.

Archived