our offense -- and Baylor's

DyeCampAlum

I took the time to watch Baylor run up 52 on Kansas Saturday. In the first half. Yes, it was Kansas. But it raised questions.

First, I'm not among those who feel defenses have caught up to our offense. But I am baffled that an offense so devastating can quickly unravel. Cole Cubelic knows stuff, and he says the OL is doing fine. I don't see us knocking people off the ball, but what do I know?

That said, why don't we borrow a little from a program like Baylor, which is doing things so obviously well? For example, Baylor puts a lot more pressure on a defense right from the start by lining up its receivers extremely wide. Way, way wide. That choice forces safeties to decide where they can be helpful. A safety cannot do run force and deep coverage on a receiver lined up between the numbers and the sideline. Why don't we incorporate an idea like that?

Second, I know we're a run, play action team. But teams a literally ignoring play action right now. On first down you have no idea what Baylor is about to do. They run a lot -- I admit, without the power packages we use -- but first down is open season. In fact, Baylor is more likely to run on 2 and 10 than you'd think. Give them 3rd and 4, and you have big, big problems.

Third, Baylor keeps its tempo FAST. It's amazing how fast they go. Someone might object that we can't do fast because we're not successful enough. Here's the thing: our offense assumes we're running fast. Maybe it's no good if we're not fast. But everybody's already talking about that.

Cole has pointed out that we line up WR too close to the line as well. Baylor averages over 300yrds on the ground each game. Auburn was successful doing the same thing in 2013 & 2010. The only concern I have with Baylor is who have they played with a decent defense. They play West Virginia who is good not great this weekend.

The tempo is the biggest problem so far. This offense is predicated on forcing the tempo. I don't have the answer as to why that isn't being utilized more.

Games 1-3: When we throw INTs or go 3 and out, we can't run tempo.

Games 4,5: redshirt freshman QB

But yes, this is a problem.

Tempo is dependent on 1st downs. If you look at 2013 auburn would run up the middle for 3 and 4 yard gains for about 4 plays then we'd throw. The excuse then was nick Marshall wasn't a throwing qb. This season we were supposed to have a throwing qb which we obviously don't. I think Auburn is still able to run for 3 and 4 yards with a qb keeper mixed in to keep the defense from completely cheating on the RB and then pop a 10 or 20 yard pass every now and then. JJ is just big enough that he could fall forward for a couple yards if stopped at the line. As JJ builds confidence doing that then he can sling it around.

We stopped pushing tempo last year as well except on first downs.

We should have the personnel to go fast without requiring subs.

I don't get it.

JJ is not on it enough to be an effective runner from what little i have seen.

He runs scared instead of using that massive frame to his advantage and was not aware of the first down marker on at least one opportunity against UofL to even know when to slide or be aggressive enough to get the first down. At least SW has the where-with-all to make those decisions when he runs and he runs aggressively.

SW has actually run more effectively then JJ even with the one big run against LSU. SW has actually thrown for 1 yard more per pass then JJ and SW has not self destructed on O.

JJ 21 carries 59YDs 2.8yd per carry longest 65yds

SW 15 carries 47 3.1yd per carry longest 31yds.

JJ passing 47 of 72 473yds 59.7% 6.57y per completion

SW passing 26 of 38 296yds 68.4% 7.79yd per completion

JJ played one game against a non FBS opponent.

JJ did score 5TD's but also 6 interceptions

SW no TD's 1 Interception

Stat wise SW has played better but neither has stood out enough to make KY starting QB an easy decision. At this point it is the lessor of two evils. Whoever starts needs to have team light it up. Good game plan and tempo will help either QB.

I agree 100% about the qb comparison. I assume since we didn't name a starter its going to be JJ. SW IMO should be the QB till he self destructs. If you want to give JJ another chance wait till Idaho. Whats wrong with JJ isn't confidence its his ability to read a defense. That isn't fixed in 2 weeks. Kody and Kiehl all had the same issue. Pulling SW destroys any chemistry that was starting to form on Offense. Look how bad we looked the first 3 games of 2013 and I think you'll see the opportunity to get better this season with SW. Running the football and maintaining drives are what matters.

I think it comes down to execution. Last year Oregon's offense looked awesome and people wondered how Gus could make our O hum like that. But they are running the same exact offense with new personnel this year and it hasn't been as good and they are also on the "most disappointing" lists next to us

I agree 100% about the qb comparison. I assume since we didn't name a starter its going to be JJ. SW IMO should be the QB till he self destructs. If you want to give JJ another chance wait till Idaho. Whats wrong with JJ isn't confidence its his ability to read a defense. That isn't fixed in 2 weeks. Kody and Kiehl all had the same issue. Pulling SW destroys any chemistry that was starting to form on Offense. Look how bad we looked the first 3 games of 2013 and I think you'll see the opportunity to get better this season with SW. Running the football and maintaining drives are what matters.

Not sure why you "assume" JJ just because neither has been named. Gus stated today that SW has not done anything to lose the starting position and has also stated the QB position is still a battle. I do think SW will start, but expect to see both QBs play in the game. Not sure if it will be series by series, quarter by quarter, or situational.

I think Gus will go with SW the entire game against UK. I think KJ will play a bigger role in the UK game. We need to give PB at least 15 touches of the ball in that he is becoming a solid RB for us. I would not be surprised to see PB to have a breakout game. It is time for this team to start coming together and becoming the offensive force we have been in the past.!

I still think that if SW bombs out big time, Jason Smith should be given a chance to see what he can do running the offense. I think that CWM defense will have its best game so far against UK. I think the defense is at a point to where it will turn the corner and will play respectable for the rest of the season.

WDC

There's no doubt the offense will have to convert better on 3rd down. Drives cannot be build without them and you cannot give your defense a chance to breath if your average drive lasts 1:30...

WDE

There's no doubt the offense will have to convert better on 3rd down. Drives cannot be build without them and you cannot give your defense a chance to breath if your average drive lasts 1:30...

WDE

Yeah. Well, I guess you could say that if we could easily convert all those 3rd and 9s, we wouldn't be in this predicament. In fact, we'd be undefeated. We need to make yardage on 1st and 2nd, so it doesn't require a miracle to convert on 3rd.

Not sure why you "assume" JJ just because neither has been named. Gus stated today that SW has not done anything to lose the starting position and has also stated the QB position is still a battle. I do think SW will start, but expect to see both QBs play in the game. Not sure if it will be series by series, quarter by quarter, or situational.

I assume because I don't understand why you wouldn't name the starter today if you're sticking with SW. Gus knows who the starter is and hopefully that player is going through game prep with the other starters. This isn't the time to get cute and mess around. Hopefully he's just playing games with Stoops.

The tempo is the biggest problem so far. This offense is predicated on forcing the tempo. I don't have the answer as to why that isn't being utilized more.

I agree that tempo is the problem. Our offensive scheme is relatively simple. I imagine our offense is easy to scout and opposing teams can determine what the probable play is we're going to run based on our formation, personal, who we send in motion, etc. However, when you go fast and don't substitute, it doesn't matter whether you're predictable or not. You're going so fast that the D is just trying to line up before the play. They don't have time to line-up, identify the formation, get a call in from the sideline, and adjust the defense.

What we're doing now seems to be the worst of both worlds. We're going "no huddle," but we're also going "no hurry up." That gives opposing teams the chance to identify our formation, the likely play, and call in an adjustment from the sideline. If we're not going to hurry up, we might as well huddle up so opposing teams have less time to identify and adjust to our pre-snap tendencies.

Simply upping the tempo is not so easy when you cannot trust the QB to make reads on the field, so the coaches are calling most plays. The coaches are looking at what the defenses are doing before committing to a specific play. The coaches are also substituting a lot, getting the guys they want on the field for each play. You cannot go up tempo while substituting offensive players.

I was going to say that Auburn's inexperience on offense is the culprit. The players just don't have the on-field experience playing together as a unit. But then I looked at Baylor's depth chart on offense. Their offense is mostly redshirt frosh and sophs.

Inexperience is not an excuse. (1) The coaches have not adequately prepared their players, and/or (2) the players are not mentally invested in execution on the field.

I think the biggest and most intractable problem is at QB. The coaches and the team put all their expectations and preparations on the shoulders of JJ -- expecting that he would be able to fully execute the offense. When JJ couldn't handle the job, everything fell apart. It was a cascade effect. Because SW has some ability, but is not (at this point) going to be an autonomous leader on the field.

I agree that tempo is the problem. Our offensive scheme is relatively simple. I imagine our offense is easy to scout and opposing teams can determine what the probable play is we're going to run based on our formation, personal, who we send in motion, etc. However, when you go fast and don't substitute, it doesn't matter whether you're predictable or not. You're going so fast that the D is just trying to line up before the play. They don't have time to line-up, identify the formation, get a call in from the sideline, and adjust the defense.

What we're doing now seems to be the worst of both worlds. We're going "no huddle," but we're also going "no hurry up." That gives opposing teams the chance to identify our formation, the likely play, and call in an adjustment from the sideline. If we're not going to hurry up, we might as well huddle up so opposing teams have less time to identify and adjust to our pre-snap tendencies.

Huddling won't help. We've substituted the "Prairie Dog" for the huddle. Gus/Rhett sends in the play. We get set on offense. The defense gets set. We "Prairie Dog" waiting for Gus to read the defense. Gus OKs the play or calls another. The offense stays or resets. The defense adjusts or not. And before you know it, it's 3rd and 9.

To all the posters on this board that dont know, our qb's do not call any plays, make adjudtments or audible. It is all on the coaches. So the quarterbacks either know the plays or they only know some of the plays.

Cole has pointed out that we line up WR too close to the line as well. Baylor averages over 300yrds on the ground each game. Auburn was successful doing the same thing in 2013 & 2010. The only concern I have with Baylor is who have they played with a decent defense. They play West Virginia who is good not great this weekend.

Uhmm, we had to beat Jax State in OT....seriously...you can't be talking schedule or quality of opponent...we've squeaked by Louisville (2-3) and Jax State (FCS school) and SJSU (3-3).... and we have been beaten by anyone with a pulse...

Archived