our offense -- and Baylor's

DyeCampAlum

The tempo is the biggest problem so far. This offense is predicated on forcing the tempo. I don't have the answer as to why that isn't being utilized more.

I agree that tempo is the problem. Our offensive scheme is relatively simple. I imagine our offense is easy to scout and opposing teams can determine what the probable play is we're going to run based on our formation, personal, who we send in motion, etc. However, when you go fast and don't substitute, it doesn't matter whether you're predictable or not. You're going so fast that the D is just trying to line up before the play. They don't have time to line-up, identify the formation, get a call in from the sideline, and adjust the defense.

What we're doing now seems to be the worst of both worlds. We're going "no huddle," but we're also going "no hurry up." That gives opposing teams the chance to identify our formation, the likely play, and call in an adjustment from the sideline. If we're not going to hurry up, we might as well huddle up so opposing teams have less time to identify and adjust to our pre-snap tendencies.

Huddling won't help. We've substituted the "Prairie Dog" for the huddle. Gus/Rhett sends in the play. We get set on offense. The defense gets set. We "Prairie Dog" waiting for Gus to read the defense. Gus OKs the play or calls another. The offense stays or resets. The defense adjusts or not. And before you know it, it's 3rd and 9.

Bingo...we have become North Texas State...first team I saw employ the Prairie Dog in D1 schools about 10 years ago...we have no tempo...well, that's not true; we have one of the slowest tempo's in D1 football. Up is down, down is up, left is right.....I am living in the Lewis Carroll football league.

Cole has pointed out that we line up WR too close to the line as well. Baylor averages over 300yrds on the ground each game. Auburn was successful doing the same thing in 2013 & 2010. The only concern I have with Baylor is who have they played with a decent defense. They play West Virginia who is good not great this weekend.

Uhmm, we had to beat Jax State in OT....seriously...you can't be talking schedule or quality of opponent...we've squeaked by Louisville (2-3) and Jax State (FCS school) and SJSU (3-3).... and we have been beaten by anyone with a pulse...

I wasn't comparing Auburn's schedule to Baylor's schedule. My point was that Baylor hasn't played a decent team and therefore their offensive numbers may be a little over inflated. Since you brought it up though. Jax State could probably beat Kansas. Baylor gave up 31 to Lamar whoever that is. SMU is probably about the same as Louisville and Texas Tech is probably about as good as Miss State. Baylor would probably put up 60 on Auburn. That being said I wasn't comparing the schedules. I was agreeing that the WR's need to be spread out more and Auburn needs to be successful with the run similiar to Baylor.

I agree 100% about the qb comparison. I assume since we didn't name a starter its going to be JJ. SW IMO should be the QB till he self destructs. If you want to give JJ another chance wait till Idaho. Whats wrong with JJ isn't confidence its his ability to read a defense. That isn't fixed in 2 weeks. Kody and Kiehl all had the same issue. Pulling SW destroys any chemistry that was starting to form on Offense. Look how bad we looked the first 3 games of 2013 and I think you'll see the opportunity to get better this season with SW. Running the football and maintaining drives are what matters.

The issue there is that Kodi and Kiehl didn't at any point look like they were going to be good QBs. Jeremy went from being an extremely accurate passer and making tight throws to being completely incapable of reading coverage as a starter. You're completely wrong here, the ability to read coverage doesn't get forgotten in 2 years (unless Lashlee is completely inept as a QB coach). I'd bet he was clouded alot more than he just never knew how to read coverage.

I hope I am wrong. Jeremy should be a beast with his physical attributes. I watched that Arkansas game and he looked amazing. The offense started to sputter toward the end of the 1st half but that probably had more to do with the revamped oline and not being able to convert 3rd and shorts. I guess we'll find out Thursday.

The difference? Confidence.

The coaches have no confidence in either QB at the moment, whether or not they want to admit it. And, the WRs have not been helping things. Dropped passes and lazy route running basically destroys the pass game. IMO, our WR corps has been awful thus far.

But the bottom line is confidence. Coaches don't have it right now and players don't have it right now. Baylor does.

Cole has pointed out that we line up WR too close to the line as well. Baylor averages over 300yrds on the ground each game. Auburn was successful doing the same thing in 2013 & 2010. The only concern I have with Baylor is who have they played with a decent defense. They play West Virginia who is good not great this weekend.

Uhmm, we had to beat Jax State in OT....seriously...you can't be talking schedule or quality of opponent...we've squeaked by Louisville (2-3) and Jax State (FCS school) and SJSU (3-3).... and we have been beaten by anyone with a pulse...

I wasn't comparing Auburn's schedule to Baylor's schedule. My point was that Baylor hasn't played a decent team and therefore their offensive numbers may be a little over inflated. Since you brought it up though. Jax State could probably beat Kansas. Baylor gave up 31 to Lamar whoever that is. SMU is probably about the same as Louisville and Texas Tech is probably about as good as Miss State. Baylor would probably put up 60 on Auburn. That being said I wasn't comparing the schedules. I was agreeing that the WR's need to be spread out more and Auburn needs to be successful with the run similiar to Baylor.

I doubt it is inflated. That is one thing they always could do is consistently score. Now, their defense might let up and let someone else score 63 while they score 60, but they are going to get their points. Baylor would put 70 points on Jacksonville state.

I looked back at a video of Auburn's offense Gus' first year as coordinator. It does look like we were more spread out back then. Perhaps that's because Gus was playing to Chris Todd's strengths (passing). If it's true that coaches were still trying to figure out what we have, I expect to see some changes to the offense after the bye week.

Archived