Spurrier retiring

Maverick.AU

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You heard it first from the Doc. Look for USC to name Mark Hudspeth as the new coach at seasons end. This man can coach, and will probably do a better job than Spurrier in the long term.

bullcrap. Me and Cole both has said that at least twice since the season started. I went to Coach Hudspeth's football camp three years in a row. With that said, how does a NC man like yourself know about Hudspeth?

He may definitely take a new job now. NCAA just reported major recruiting violations at ULL which will likely take away a lot that he had built there. Hudspeth is not believed to know what was going on.

You heard it first from the Doc. Look for USC to name Mark Hudspeth as the new coach at seasons end. This man can coach, and will probably do a better job than Spurrier in the long term.

bullcrap. Me and Cole both has said that at least twice since the season started. I went to Coach Hudspeth's football camp three years in a row. With that said, how does a NC man like yourself know about Hudspeth?

He may definitely take a new job now. NCAA just reported major recruiting violations at ULL which will likely take away a lot that he had built there. Hudspeth is not believed to know what was going on.

Vacated 2011 season.....among other things.

Funny to me the folks saying they were always Spurrier fans. I became a fan of his after he left Florida and we kept beating Carolina. Liked him a lot better then than I did at Florida, for sure. He was one I loved to hate, then. I always wanted us to make him throw his visor.

Always respected him. I'll say that.

Always liked Spurrier. Not only a great ball coach, but a great "personality" who was good for the game. Lots of speculation in recent years that he'd step down.

But this mid-year retirement is totally unexpected and seems ominous. I hope he lives another few decades, a retirement filled with happiness.

Funny to me the folks saying they were always Spurrier fans. I became a fan of his after he left Florida and we kept beating Carolina. Liked him a lot better then than I did at Florida, for sure. He was one I loved to hate, then. I always wanted us to make him throw his visor.

I'll have to second that. While at UF, while running up the score on just about everyone, he said it wasn't his job to stop scoring. it was your job to stop him from scoring. While he was at UF, I couldn't stand him. During his time at USCe, he's become a real funny guy to listen to. Gives great interviews and tells you what he's thinking. Hope all is well with him and his family. Hate to see him go out like this.

He was a hard ass but he ran a clean program at UNA from what I could tell. And just for the record, I wasn't agreeing with Doc on that he will do better than Spurrier longterm. That is just crazy Doc talk. I do think Hudspeth is a rising star though.

I'll have to second that. While at UF, while running up the score on just about everyone, he said it wasn't his job to stop scoring. it was your job to stop him from scoring. While he was at UF, I couldn't stand him. During his time at USCe, he's become a real funny guy to listen to. Gives great interviews and tells you what he's thinking. Hope all is well with him and his family. Hate to see him go out like this.

I think a lot of people are a fan of spurrier because of his antics. Similarly, I think he was a beacon that represented a dying breed of old school, don't give a damn about coach-speak coaching and many cherished that.

To those relegating USCe to the SEC East cellar, I'm not so sure. If you watched The Believer- the SEC Storied documentary on Spurrier, you saw how Spurrier rejuvenated the program and got alumni to start pouring money into the program.He leaves it in much greater shape than he found it. As long as they find a replacement that can recruit well in GA and FL, they could be a competitor year in and year out.

Oh yeah my favorite Steve Spurrier quote of all time:

"Honestly don't think king Nick will ever leave Bama. They are the perfect match. A guy with no conscience and no ethics, worshiped by a fanbase that doesn't care!"

"Honestly don't think king Nick will ever leave Bama. They are the perfect match. A guy with no conscience and no ethics, worshiped by a fanbase that doesn't care!"

not true

not true

I dunno about that. Saban could show Braveheart to a group of kindergarteners and AL.com would put it on the front page as him motivating kids to behave. Who would leave that?

All the best Coach. Great coach. Great man.

I think a lot of people are a fan of spurrier because of his antics. Similarly, I think he was a beacon that represented a dying breed of old school, don't give a damn about coach-speak coaching and many cherished that.

To ESPN ? (talking head - before Saban does)

Yep, he didn't care who it was, he was (is) equal opportunistic with thoughts, comebacks, and witticisms. And had the record to backup his brashness, unlike other coaches in the SEC who'll also jowl on, but without the depth or charisma or intellect. (Hope it's not health related)

Archived