Spurrier retiring

Maverick.AU

Didn't like Spurrier at UF when he was there but I think being at USCe has humbled him a bit. He has been the voice of reason in the SEC since then. He will usually call it like it is and isn't afraid to take on media darlings like Saban or Richt. I always loved watching Dabo dance around like a buffoon because Spurrier said something to get under his skin. Whoever replaces Spurrier has some big shoes to fill since he was the all time win coach at USC. Plus that place has never been easy to get recruits there.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Enjoy your golf game, look forward to seeing ya on BSPN!

Rumor is that he had a 9:12 tee time at Augusta today..... :)

The man is a coaching legend. I find it odd that he'd choose to quit mid-season when the team is in the crapper. Announce the retirement, finish the job, and ride off in the golf cart when the season ends. :dunno:

The man is a coaching legend. I find it odd that he'd choose to quit mid-season when the team is in the crapper. Announce the retirement, finish the job, and ride off in the golf cart when the season ends. :dunno:

Word locally is that it was a "mutual agreement".....

Just said he's resigning, not retiring. Our next QB coach and OC?....

This South Carolina might be bad, but there is no reason for Spurrier to accept such a demotion. He is still South Carolina's leader in wins, and it's not even close. He has nothing to prove to anyone.

That said, I would love it if he would accept such a position for us. I'm not sure I would have a problem with it if Gus was replaced with Spurrier. He's a guy I've wanted on our sidelines since he came back from the NFL.

Hated Spurrier @ FL. Once he left I started to love him. I still remember jokes about him my dad and his buddies told. Like

Why does Spurrier wear a visor? To cover up the circumcision scar.....

This South Carolina might be bad, but there is no reason for Spurrier to accept such a demotion. He is still South Carolina's leader in wins, and it's not even close. He has nothing to prove to anyone.

That said, I would love it if he would accept such a position for us. I'm not sure I would have a problem with it if Gus was replaced with Spurrier. He's a guy I've wanted on our sidelines since he came back from the NFL.

He did resign on the same day that USCw fired their coach. Any chance?

The guy is 70 years old and showing his age.....good time for him to brush on his golf game at Augusta and figure out how to spend his retirement savings.

Always loved the Ole Ball Coach and his famous quotes. Free Shoes University and You Can't Spell Citrus without UT were two of my favorites. Like him or not, he was one of the great characters in southern football and he will be missed.

If I had to guess USC will shoot for someone considerably younger with the possibility of staying around a while. I'll be surprised if Spurrier takes another job at all.

Edit: I see a quote that said he's not retiring from coaching completely. Probably not a head coach, but he said he's resigning, not retiring.

Wonder what it'd take to get him as QB coach.

If I had to guess USC will shoot for someone considerably younger with the possibility of staying around a while. I'll be surprised if Spurrier takes another job at all.

I would be too. It would be hilarious also though.

Edit: I see a quote that said he's not retiring from coaching completely. Probably not a head coach, but he said he's resigning, not retiring.

Wonder what it'd take to get him as QB coach.

He did specifically say that he's not retiring, but that he doubts he'll be a head coach again (I think he meant at this level). He mentioned high school as a possibility. I also have a hard time believing he could successfully work under another head coach at this level. He is THE Head Ball Coach. At 70, I wonder if he just wanted to go out like this instead of like Bowden, Brown, or Paterno. It's in his blood, and I doubt he'll ever retire from coaching until his health intervenes.

Buy him a house in Auburn and a lifetime membership to Grand National. Then Gus and he can play golf together A LOT.

imagine what could be learned from the Head Ball Coach.

With Whitfield committing to USCe, I really look for Smart to take that job.

He recruits GA as well as anyone, and his resume doesn't hurt either.

Oh yeah my favorite Steve Spurrier quote of all time:

"Honestly don't think king Nick will ever leave Bama. They are the perfect match. A guy with no conscience and no ethics, worshiped by a fanbase that doesn't care!"

not true

Always thought you were an updyke, at least now we know.

"Honestly don't think king Nick will ever leave Bama. They are the perfect match. A guy with no conscience and no ethics, worshiped by a fanbase that doesn't care!"

not true

you must have always had your head in your ars.

When I was a kid, I remember my dad preaching to the tv for AU to hire Spurrier(early 90s). That always stuck with me over the years for some reason.

not true

"Honestly don't think king Nick will ever leave Bama. They are the perfect match. A guy with no conscience and no ethics, worshiped by a fanbase that is too stupid to care!"

not true

"Honestly don't think king Nick will ever leave Bama. They are the perfect match. A guy with no conscience and no ethics, worshiped by a fanbase that is too stupid to care!"

I think his point was that there is no credible evidence that Spurrier actually said that. I've seen it several times over the years (think I first saw it in 09), and I've seen no articles or video to back it up. If he actually said it, it would have definitely been plastered all over sports media. I have only seen it repeated on message boards.

If he said that, it would probably be on at least one of these lists:

http://247sports.com/Coach/Steve-Spurrier-4/Quotes

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2013/10/18/4852572/steve-spurrier-quotes-georgia-tennessee-fsu-clemson

http://www.thestate.com/sports/college/university-of-south-carolina/usc-football/article39004284.html

not true

I think his point was that there is no credible evidence that Spurrier actually said that. I've seen it several times over the years (think I first saw it in 09), and I've seen no articles or video to back it up. If he actually said it, it would have definitely been plastered all over sports media. I have only seen it repeated on message boards.

http://247sports.com...urrier-4/Quotes

http://www.sbnation....see-fsu-clemson

http://www.thestate....le39004284.html

Yep...but he's hit on enough other programs that he "could" have said that but like you, I doubt he actually did so.

And note that the title of the OP is not correct....as SOS said several times yesterday, he is resigning...not retiring and hopes to stay involved somewhere in team sports. He had a very good and serious press announcement to explain his decision....basically said the team was not doing well, it was his fault and it was time for someone else to see what they could do.

Classic and classy Spurrier exit though would have been nice to see him beat Clemson in his last game and get a ride off the field.

not true

http://247sports.com...urrier-4/Quotes

http://www.sbnation....see-fsu-clemson

http://www.thestate....le39004284.html

Yep...but he's hit on enough other programs that he "could" have said that but like you, I doubt he actually did so.

And note that the title of the OP is not correct....as SOS said several times yesterday, he is resigning...not retiring and hopes to stay involved somewhere in team sports. He had a very good and serious press announcement to explain his decision....basically said the team was not doing well, it was his fault and it was time for someone else to see what they could do.

Classic and classy Spurrier exit though would have been nice to see him beat Clemson in his last game and get a ride off the field.

if he actually said that there would be no question about it. All his jabs have been at rivals, in jest to rile fans. this is a character attack that he would have been forced to address further.

Archived