Jason Smith to Get His Shot?

Weegle777

Anything at all to this?

http://www.foxsports...rting-qb-100915

Could WR Jason Smith start at QB for Auburn against Kentucky?

100915-cfb-Auburn-Tigers-pi-mp.vadapt.955.high.56.jpg

Is Jason Smith be the answer at quarterback for Auburn?

John Reed / USA TODAY Sports

To say Auburn's offense has failed to meet expectations would be an understatement.

Preseason Heisman hopeful quarterback Jeremy Johnson was a complete bust to start the season after inexplicably losing his confidence in the opener, while backup Sean White apparently has yet to earn the his coaches' trust in limited action.

With a winless conference season staring the Tigers in the face, Gus Malzahn is apparently contemplating a turn to a new option to fix his stagnant offense.

A four-star JUCO athlete signee of Auburn's 2015 recruiting class, Jason Smith enrolled early after throwing for 1,566 yards, 18 touchdowns and rushing for another 10 touchdowns during his 10-game 2014 junior college season. Smith has yet to attempt a pass for Auburn after playing exclusively at receiver for Auburn this season.

If Smith does indeed have similar characteristics as Nick Marshall, Auburn has a chance to turn around its offense in a hurry heading into Lexington Thursday.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I doubt he's being groomed to be the starter or regular QB. But I wouldn't be shocked if they've put more time into some packages for him to run.

Do you think he lacks something to make him a starter?

I doubt he's being groomed to be the starter or regular QB. But I wouldn't be shocked if they've put more time into some packages for him to run.

Yeah...not practicing at QB at all for most of the spring and 99% of the fall. They aren't throwing a guy in that situation in as the starter for an SEC road game.

Yeah...not practicing at QB at all for most of the spring and 99% of the fall. They aren't throwing a guy in that situation in as the starter for an SEC road game.

No common sense allowed.

If he started and did well, everyone will be raving about CGM's decision.

If he did horribly, then we are desperate and mediocre.

If I'm Gus, I let him compete, maybe take some snaps to see how he looks under the lights in that role, but ultimately, my QB1 is a guy that's been taking snaps during majority of the practices.

By all accounts, JS looks like the DT QB that we know and miss but is he ready for the SEC? I think the fact that he was moved pretty quickly to WR makes you wonder.

I think Smith can become a really good wr. But if he is the starter at qb and plays the entire game, I hope we win because if we don't, I will have serious doubts about Gus and his coaching, not that I don't already.He has had some of these players for two years and doesn't know what the hell they can even do.

If he started and did well, everyone will be raving about CGM's decision.

If he did horribly, then we are desperate and mediocre.

If I'm Gus, I let him compete, maybe take some snaps to see how he looks under the lights in that role, but ultimately, my QB1 is a guy that's been taking snaps during majority of the practices.

By all accounts, JS looks like the DT QB that we know and miss but is he ready for the SEC? I think the fact that he was moved pretty quickly to WR makes you wonder.

He was moved because we needed bodies at WR and the coaching staff had anointed JJ the starter last season. If anyone really thinks JS or SW had a chance to "win" the QB job you're nuts. For what it's worth, I don't think many argued the move in the spring because of the hype or expectations around JJ. But for anyone to say "if he was so good then why did he move to WR so quick?" Well, it's because the coaches had already made up their mind before he got to campus.

not even 50:50......talk about destroying a team....bringing in a 3rd QB who hasn't seriously practiced or played the position for about 2 years ?

I'm saying about 2% at most...

not even 50:50......talk about destroying a team....bringing in a 3rd QB who hasn't seriously practiced or played the position for about 2 years ?

I'm saying about 2% at most...

2% may be a little high on him starting. The real question is how much will he play @ QB if any?

And why didn't Smith practice at QB? Because Gus invested all his eggs into the JJ basket.

I think we might see him at the wildcat a little. If he gets it going, who knows. I don't think he starts though. Stranger things have happened. Look at Braxton Miller. Dude is an absolute stud at receiver. Who saw that?

I seriously doubt he will start, but he could provide a spark here and there. He is supposedly electric with the ball in his hands. One thing to consider, think of the timing of announcing this two days before game time. Now Ky has to prepare for the possibility of facing a whole different offense. It could just be a rumor to throw KY off track.

And why didn't Smith practice at QB? Because Gus invested all his eggs into the JJ basket.

That and the common perception that JS was great WR prospect and almost no chance to play at QB....so why leave a guy like him on the bench waiting on someone to get hurt.

Wildcat? now he could always do that....and I hope he does...to give the O a little spice.

Since Kerryon Johnson appears to be the wildcat guy, I see no reason to think that J. Smith will ever line up at QB. Anyway, he needs to work on his pass-catching ability so that the next time a QB throws what should be a TD pass to him he doesn't drop it.

Since Kerryon Johnson appears to be the wildcat guy, I see no reason to think that J. Smith will ever line up at QB. Anyway, he needs to work on his pass-catching ability so that the next time a QB throws what should be a TD pass to him he doesn't drop it.

Excellent point....and learn where the first down marker is. I see him doing big things and with DW gone, some of the confusion about the passing game should be gone.

Archived