Jason Smith to Get His Shot?

Weegle777

And why didn't Smith practice at QB? Because Gus invested all his eggs into the JJ basket.

Well, not just that. We believed JJ was going to be the clear starter, yes. But we also had Queen and White who are both better passers.

I'd heard that most coaches at major college programs (not just Gus/Rhett) didn't feel Smith had the arm strength they were looking for. Now you can win without elite arm strength in college, but you almost always compensate for it by being extremely accurate and being able to read defenses well. Thus you have stories like Danny Wuerffel, Bernie Kosar, Chris Todd in 2009, numerous QBs who played for Mike Leach. What you don't usually have (unless they are running the triple option at GT) are guys who not only lack a cannon, but aren't elite with accuracy and smarts.

Most coaches felt that Smith's best chance to show out on the field is at WR, getting him the ball in space. They still feel that way.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IDK if he will start, but I'm pretty sure he can run the same offense we ran vs SJSU. Except instead of making 95% of the run plays called handoffs to the running back, make those run plays zone reads and then we could see an effective big-play offense on the ground. The zone read is a nightmare to cover for defenses and with JS's speed it really could have a 2013 type impact on the offense.

But Gus won't let his QB's actually read the damn defensive end so it doesn't matter. It's literally one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. To run a FAKE zone read offense. After thinking about it some, I actually think it might be false information that Rhett is making some play calls because Gus won't even let his QB determine whether to hand off or to keep the ball BASED ON THE ACTUAL POST-SNAP DEFENSE ( :slapfh::no::( ) so I'm having a hard time believing, with Gus' control freak tendencies (he has left programs that wouldn't allow him to run his O the way he wants*), that he'd allow someone else to make the playcalls.

*Did Chizik handcuff Gus in 2011? This 2015 offense looks similarly sub par...Oh and surprise surprise we had pocket passers who weren't truly going to beat you with their arms that year as well.

And why didn't Smith practice at QB? Because Gus invested all his eggs into the JJ basket.

Well, not just that. We believed JJ was going to be the clear starter, yes. But we also had Queen and White who are both better passers.

I'd heard that most coaches at major college programs (not just Gus/Rhett) didn't feel Smith had the arm strength they were looking for. Now you can win without elite arm strength in college, but you almost always compensate for it by being extremely accurate and being able to read defenses well. Thus you have stories like Danny Wuerffel, Bernie Kosar, Chris Todd in 2009, numerous QBs who played for Mike Leach. What you don't usually have (unless they are running the triple option at GT) are guys who not only lack a cannon, but aren't elite with accuracy and smarts.

Most coaches felt that Smith's best chance to show out on the field is at WR, getting him the ball in space. They still feel that way.

^this^

Grasping at straws.....Jason is a WR who "might" get a specialty play here and there. Nothing even remotely close to "long term".

As others stated, wildcat, maybe with some passing thrown in to surprise the defense.

If he started and did well, everyone will be raving about CGM's decision.

If he did horribly, then we are desperate and mediocre.

If I'm Gus, I let him compete, maybe take some snaps to see how he looks under the lights in that role, but ultimately, my QB1 is a guy that's been taking snaps during majority of the practices.

By all accounts, JS looks like the DT QB that we know and miss but is he ready for the SEC? I think the fact that he was moved pretty quickly to WR makes you wonder.

The coaches were GOING to start Jeremy regardless. Sean, Tyler, and Tucker are gonna be QBs. Jason is fast and swift. I can see where their logic is.

JJ was being groomed for the QB position from day 1 after the last game that NM played. Gus had that embedded in his head, and I don't think that has changed one bit. SW is just filling in until Gus can get JJ's head In the right frame of mind if it takes all season long. In Gus's mind JJ is the man, and I do not think that is going to change. I really believe that Gus thinks that he cannot win without JJ in the lineup.

JJ was being groomed for the QB position from day 1 after the last game that NM played. Gus had that embedded in his head, and I don't think that has changed one bit. SW is just filling in until Gus can get JJ's head In the right frame of mind if it takes all season long. In Gus's mind JJ is the man, and I do not think that is going to change. I really believe that Gus thinks that he cannot win without JJ in the lineup.

Yes. It does seem Gus is one-track minded on this.

So he should just play him. The idea that JJ is a precious snowflake that will be ruined unless coddled is just crazy. The gridiron is no place for the fragile. JJ is either the great player Gus sees and he'll step up, or what we've seen is what he is. What really bothers me is that Gus bet everything on the kid, and if the season doesn't pan out, it's becasue JJ is some sort of "head case".

I doubt he's being groomed to be the starter or regular QB. But I wouldn't be shocked if they've put more time into some packages for him to run.

Do you think he lacks something to make him a starter?

Yeah...not practicing at QB at all for most of the spring and 99% of the fall. They aren't throwing a guy in that situation in as the starter for an SEC road game.

No common sense allowed.

1)Rude.

2)If Smith really competed for the spot as they mentioned I would believe he could run just as much of the offense as they allowed SW. Also, if he wasn't practicing at qb at all already we have issues.

With that being said, I hope we stick with White. And I hope Jason Smith gets more involved.

2)If Smith really competed for the spot as they mentioned I would believe he could run just as much of the offense as they allowed SW. Also, if he wasn't practicing at qb at all already we have issues.

He gave it a run at QB early on when he got here. He himself decided after looking at the competition that he'd be better off moving to WR. I'm not sure what about your belief trumps that of Gus, Rhett and the player himself.

He gave it a run at QB early on when he got here. He himself decided after looking at the competition that he'd be better off moving to WR. I'm not sure what about your belief trumps that of Gus, Rhett and the player himself.

I'm implying it feels like he never got a fair shake because even before he went the JUCO route he wanted to come here as a QB but the word was he would get a chance but ultimately be moved to wide receiver.

I'm not a Jason Smith fanboy. I'm an Auburn fan boy and I'm dying for positive momentum.

Ease up Titan

You're taking things awfully personal.

Not really.

Just tired of getting rude responses when I'm not saying anything outlandish, stupid, or controversial.

I just see a WR with few targets and few catches who was said to have potential at QB. Simply wanted to know why it was a crazy idea for him to receive some reps and maybe a look. "All spots are open" after all.

Gus said, in the media, that it was JS's idea to move to WR. But frankly that could either be true or total BS. This staff will never give 100% truthful answers to anything IMO and little things like this to alter perception is certainly not beyond this staff.

I don't understand why we've given up on SW. That kid is pretty fast. If they would just give him a real shot with real reps, I think he would do well. He hasn't even had a chance to fail.

I don't understand why we've given up on SW. That kid is pretty fast. If they would just give him a real shot with real reps, I think he would do well. He hasn't even had a chance to fail.

Pretty fast compared to who? Queen?

I think SW starts. If all goes well we will see some wildcat involving JS or others. IF SW doesn't do well.....JJ. JMHO

I'm pretty sure it was strongly suggested that he should move to WR.

I'm pretty sure it was strongly suggested that he should move to WR.

Not according to Jason.

http://www.oanow.com/sports/college/auburn/football/article_46215112-dd94-11e4-a3e5-276383fb8d1d.html

I think SW starts. If all goes well we will see some wildcat involving JS or others. IF SW doesn't do well.....JJ. JMHO

Wrong. JJ will be announced starter tonight after practice...

Do you know this because you have an actual inside connection, or because you read this rumor that was posted on another board?

I'm implying it feels like he never got a fair shake because even before he went the JUCO route he wanted to come here as a QB but the word was he would get a chance but ultimately be moved to wide receiver.

I'm not a Jason Smith fanboy. I'm an Auburn fan boy and I'm dying for positive momentum.

Ease up Titan

I just don't think you're thinking this through is all. Do you think it's realistic to get a QB that hasn't practiced at the position since the very early days of spring practice 6 months ago ready in 10 days for an SEC road game against a pretty good defense? I don't.

Also, he was given a chance. Jason chose to move to WR himself:

When Jason Smith watched Auburn the last two seasons, he always envisioned himself playing quarterback in Gus Malzahn’s system.

It didn’t take long for the Mobile native and junior-college transfer to change his tune. Less than two weeks into spring practice, Smith approached Malzahn and told him he’d like to make the full-time move to wide receiver.

“I always had that in the back of my head if things got a little hectic at the quarterback spot,” Smith said of the decision. “It’s two ways to it, really, at quarterback and receiver, you have to worry about a lot of stuff at quarterback. I didn’t see nothing wrong with moving to receiver at all. I think I will help the team out that way.”

http://www.oanow.com...6383fb8d1d.html

Do you know this because you have an actual inside connection, or because you read this rumor that was posted on another board?

Actual inside information. I've been saying and told JJ would be starting since last week. TIFWIW....

Actual inside information. I've been saying and told JJ would be starting since last week. TIFWIW....

Cool. I'd seen a post about this on another forum but didn't know what stock to put in it.

Archived