Jay Jacobs Question

AubTiger14

He gets a lot of criticism for the current state of the Football Program. He has definitely done some questionable things since he's been here, most notably hiring a Chizik. I'm a little confused on the blame he's taking for this season though.

- When he brought in Malzahn he appointed a search committee that everyone was in favor of.

- Malzahn had been successful everywhere he's been, so there was little indication it was a bad hire.

- He's upgraded facilities

- He apparently mended enough fences with Muschamp for him to come back.

- Non-football related...He brought in Bruce Pearl and Upgraded basketball facilities

- We just signed a pretty good deal with Under Armour

Even though it sounds like it, I'm not here to defend him, but most everyone thought we had everything we needed at the beginning of the year to make a playoff run. So what are the issues with Jacobs right now inside the program? Again, I'm not pro or con Jacobs...I just want the information. I just want us to do what we need to do to win football games.

It's just easy to blame Jacobs for any issues within the department. The Chizik hire was accepted by most until the wheels fell off. Most thought the Barbee hire was strong until the wheels fell off. The Golloway hire was not as widely accepted and many questioned it. Most all of the other coaching hires have been good for Auburn. Personally, I don't see how Jacobs gets any blame for the state of football right now unless there are things happening behind the curtain.

No matter what Jacobs does, the Jay Jacobs haters like A4E will always complain. It has to be hard for them to dwell on the negative all the time and continue to stick their head in the sand whenever he does something good.

No matter what Jacobs does, the Jay Jacobs haters like A4E will always complain. It has to be hard for them to dwell on the negative all the time and continue to stick their head in the sand whenever blue does something good.

The other a4e, right? ^-^

No matter what Jacobs does, the Jay Jacobs haters like A4E will always complain. It has to be hard for them to dwell on the negative all the time and continue to stick their head in the sand whenever blue does something good.

Yep...if must be frustrating to have to apologize for that other guy so frequently...

PS: it's interesting how far the Jay haters will go to try and link Jay to something going on at AU that does not suit them. Gotta give them some credit for creativity ...if not for logic or reason.

Yep...if must be frustrating to have to apologize for that other guy so frequently...

I don't apologize for him. I simply clarify when needed.

I don't apologize for him. I simply clarify when needed.

well I guess that's true but perhaps someone should from time to time.... :dunno:

It's just easy to blame Jacobs for any issues within the department. The Chizik hire was accepted by most until the wheels fell off. Most thought the Barbee hire was strong until the wheels fell off. The Golloway hire was not as widely accepted and many questioned it. Most all of the other coaching hires have been good for Auburn. Personally, I don't see how Jacobs gets any blame for the state of football right now unless there are things happening behind the curtain.

Some do seem to think there are things happening behind the curtains. I would like to know what it is....but I also understand we can't start rumors here. I would like WDE to answer this, because in another thread he said he thought Jacobs was in over his head.

I am not a huge fan of JJ but I really don't see his direct link to this football season. A person needs to be more specific if they are going to make that accusation.

The Golloway hire is the only blunder that JJ should take the blame for. He should have seen it coming that the guy could not get along with people and had not really built a winning program, just taken them over.

I'm not sure most "accepted" the Chizik hire- anyone paying attention to what he did at ISU didn't(that's a tough place to have success but he was bad even by their standards). I'll grant that he got Cam to AU (although some have questioned whether he wanted him) and piloted a magical run in 2010, for which I'm grateful. He then led us straight into the ground overseeing the worst AU football performances of my lifetime. Not a home run hire nor even a good one by any realistic assessment- unless the folks at Miami classify Larry Coker that way , in which case I'll reevaluate my assessment.

Up until the Malzahn hire, Jacobs hired Tuberville and Chizik and JJ gave out BIG buyouts that hurt Auburn in the long run cause long after those coaches were gone, we kept paying them. When Tuberville was let go, JJ told the Auburn family that money was not an issue and we would hire the best coach out there. The next thing we knew, Jacobs hires Chizik who went 5-19 at Iowa State. Also, our stadium use to be in the top 3 or 4 when it cames to capacity. While other schools keep adding on to their stadiums, Auburn sits on their hands and watch other stadiums leave us in the dust at 87,451. Now Jay has to deal with the firing of Sunny Golloway. Need I go on? I bet no other school would hire JJ as their AD.

Up until the Malzahn hire, Jacobs hired Tuberville and Chizik and JJ gave out BIG buyouts that hurt Auburn in the long run cause long after those coaches were gone, we kept paying them. When Tuberville was let go, JJ told the Auburn family that money was not an issue and we would hire the best coach out there. The next thing we knew, Jacobs hires Chizik who went 5-19 at Iowa State. Also, our stadium use to be in the top 3 or 4 when it cames to capacity. While other schools keep adding on to their stadiums, Auburn sits on their hands and watch other stadiums leave us in the dust at 87,451. Now Jay has to deal with the firing of Sunny Golloway. Need I go on? I bet no other school would hire JJ as their AD.

Housel hired Tuberville, Jacobs was there at the end.

the stadium issue has been in the planning stages for years and will happen at the right time. If we had done something 5 years ago it would not be as nice its going to be.

Jay is not designing the stadium..experts are.

There's so much fail in this ridiculous post its hard to know where to start. Jacobs did NOT hire Tuberville. You continue to remain totally clueless about everything. I really wish you would take a few years away from the board and actually LEARN something. You know absolutely NOTHING when it comes to Auburn. NO please do not go on. We can't handle any more WRONG information or just out right lies.

No matter what Jacobs does, the Jay Jacobs haters like A4E will always complain. It has to be hard for them to dwell on the negative all the time and continue to stick their head in the sand whenever he does something good.

Of course

Lets see: baseball coaches hired by jj, slater, pawloski and sunny.

Basketball coaches - lebo, barbee and pearl

Football - fired tuberville and responsible for ridiculus buy out, hired and fired chizik (again crazy buy out) hired gus

Swimming - couldnt retain the greatest coach in auburn history ( marsh)

Womens basketball - has gone through three coaches

The upgrading of athletic facilities was going to happen no matter who the ad was. It is just the nature of the beast now a days. You would hard pressed to find another ad (in the power 5 conferences ) who would an ad go thru this many hires and fires.

Yes! Ruled a tipped ball.

For clarity...

Softball, Soccer, Gymnastics, Tennis, Golf and Volleyball have all improved under Jays watch.

Football gave us two SEC Titles, one BCS Title and one runner up. The buyouts and inconsistency have been an issue.

Men's Basketball has been a mess since probation, but that's about to change!

Women's Basketball has been down of late, but it had some good years with Nell. This is Coach Flo's make of break season.

Track has been ok.

Equestrian has two titles and is up there every year.

Swimming has declined since Marsh left.....Jay has to accept a role in that.

No, there is no need to go on because it's obvious from your post that you lack any objectivity.

Football - fired tuberville and responsible for ridiculus buy out, hired and fired chizik (again crazy buy out) hired gus

The upgrading of athletic facilities was going to happen no matter who the ad was. It is just the nature of the beast now a days. You would hard pressed to find another ad (in the power 5 conferences ) who would an ad go thru this many hires and fires.

Tough to argue with this, but some will try.

Here's a start. He didn't hire Lebo or Slater. Marsh was leaving no matter who the AD was. The latest womens BBall hire is a coach that had been to 2 straight NCAA tourneys.

By this logic, JJ killed Archduke Ferdinand even though he wasn't alive....

Let's not let facts get in the way of a good JJ bashing ceremony.

Here's a start. He didn't hire Lebo or Slater. Marsh was leaving no matter who the AD was. The latest womens BBall hire is a coach that had been to 2 straight NCAA tourneys.

With ten years of "on the job training" for a position he wasn't qualified for, he ran the AU AD into one of the biggest failures in all of college sports. Then even after the beyond ridiculous coaches buyouts, when given one of the largest "hiring budgets" in the NCAA, he makes a couple good hires (one of which he has already fired, and he has yet to explain why) and you are happy with JJ as our AD. Well God bless you.

With ten years of "on the job training" for a position he wasn't qualified for, he ran the AU AD into one of the biggest failures in all of college sports. Then even after the beyond ridiculous coaches buyouts, when given one of the largest "hiring budgets" in the NCAA, he makes a couple good hires (one of which he has already fired, and he has yet to explain why) and you are happy with JJ as our AD. Well God bless you.

That is quite a strong statement. Surely the rest of your statement wasn't meant to back that statement up because if it was, you have failed.

Archived