Carl Lawson Spotted?

ALTiger

Just remember: Duke was going pro end of last year, JJ going pro after this year, Rhett taking a Head Coaching job last year and at the end of this year... just saying.

Fingers crossed.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Every week we have to have this convo.

Atleast this week we have a source claiming he may be playing in 2 weeks...much better than the previous weeks of "he's off crutches is he playing" we've had up til now. If we could get him back its game on. It should not be so bad that one player that much of a difference, but it is the case so we get this discussion. I'm just praying this source is right (unlike every source claiming JJ was either starting or playing the 2cnd Q last game...not that the sources are bad sources but their info this go round was bad).

I figured this would be the best place to post instead of making yet another Carl Lawson thread..

http://m.auburntigers.com/m/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/102115aac.html

By Charles Goldberg

AuburnTigers.com

AUBURN, Ala. ― Auburn impact defender Carl Lawson hasn't dressed out since suffering a hip injury in the season-opener, but he could play again before the year is done.

Defensive coordinator Will Muschamp said Wednesday that Lawson is "on schedule to come back," though not for Saturday's game at Arkansas.

"They've had him on the field, not practicing at all, but running and doing a lot of things with our staff," Muschamp said. "We'll continue to move forward with his situation."

Muschamp said Lawson met with Dr. James Andrews on Wednesday.

Muschamp said "they haven't told me" when Lawson may return, "but we certainly expect him to be back, unless we have some sort of setback. That's why I don't want to come out and say a date and then 'well, what happened?' I think we're dealing with a situation that will be resolved soon."

Lawson can't play yet, but that didn't stop Auburn from sending him to Lexington for Auburn's last game.

Muschamp said his pass rushers brings "leadership and experience" to Auburn's sidelines.

"A guy that where the guys can come over and talk to him about what they’re seeing," Muschamp said. "He’s a really good football player, but his intangible qualities go very far for our football team."

Muschamp said defensive back T.J. Davis is still trying to come back from offseason knee surgery.

"It's seven months now, it’s still very early in the stage," Muschamp said. "Each practices he’s going through all our stuff, and when we go through good on good against the offense, he’s been involved on all that. He continues to build confidence."

Lawson is back running with the team as of yesterday BUT don't get your hopes up with him ever playing in an AU uniform again. Not if his parents have anything to so with the situation.

and we finally get an answer. Thanks WDEWDE.

Lawson is back running with the team as of yesterday BUT don't get your hopes up with him ever playing in an AU uniform again. Not if his parents have anything to so with the situation.

and we finally get an answer. Thanks WDEWDE.

if he can play without a chance of further injuring the hip, he might ought to. I am not buying a third round or better draft spot for a player with no resume to show.

WDE..Why would his parents not want him to play again at Auburn? Have they said as much, or is that your opinion? He has had bad luck with injuries but I know that nothing but the best medical attention has been provided for him and any other AU athletes with injuries. Just wondering?

WDE..Why would his parents not want him to play again at Auburn? Have they said as much, or is that your opinion? He has had bad luck with injuries but I know that nothing but the best medical attention has been provided for him and any other AU athletes with injuries. Just wondering?

I'm told that's their opinion. Can't answer the rest. And as for next year lets see what CWM can do to make Carl's parent feel better about him staying. I do think there is a better chance Carl plays next year than this year. BUT if AU gets on a roll who knows whats happens with uga & uat. The last part is IMO.

Ok well I like Carl good player, has done well when he has not been hurt. I could see him possibly pulling a Dylan Mack..focus on getting healthy and get ready for the draft. But the passion and leadership I see in Carl leads me to believe if he can get back on the field at Auburn the he will, and worry about the NFL when that time comes. He is the best defensive leader the team has the best thing he can do for his draft position is prove he can stay healthy and be productive for an entire season.

WDE is 100% correct. His parents don't want him to play, afraid it'll hurt his draft chances. I'm being told he's gone after this year. I don't blame him one bit if he does. Yea, he might be a 3rd or 4th round pick, but at least he'll be getting paid while recovering from injury. What's the upside in him staying? The risks out-weigh the rewards in his situation in staying. Everyone needs to stop getting emotionally-attached to these players. If you were in his situation, why would you come back and risk getting hurt again, further hurting your draft status? Anyone in his position would go to the NFL if you were in his situation...

I'm told that's their opinion. Can't answer the rest. And as for next year lets see what CWM can do to make Carl's parent feel better about him staying. I do think there is a better chance Carl plays next year than this year. BUT if AU gets on a roll who knows whats happens with uga & uat. The last part is IMO.

if his parents are concerned about this injury not being healed, i understand. But to simply shut him down because of risk in general prior to the big payday, i don't think he has shown enough to expect a payday. He needs to play.

WDE is 100% correct. His parents don't want him to play, afraid it'll hurt his draft chances. I'm being told he's gone after this year. I don't blame him one bit if he does. Yea, he might be a 3rd or 4th round pick, but at least he'll be getting paid while recovering from injury. What's the upside in him staying? The risks out-weigh the rewards in his situation in staying. Everyone needs to stop getting emotionally-attached to these players. If you were in his situation, why would you come back and risk getting hurt again, further hurting your draft status? Anyone in his position would go to the NFL if you were in his situation...

This is the only thing that makes sense about him going pro IMO. There's not enough tape on him to be a top 3rd rd draft choice. Also JMO. He has played 2 meaningful quarters since 2013. The draft is in 2016, so in 3 calendar years he's played 2 quarters getting most the snaps and couldn't even make it past halftime. Other than that he had spot duty as a backup in 2013. That's not enough in my opinion to put him in the top 3 rounds. But I'm not paid the big bucks to make these decisions.

I also selfishly want him to stay because even tho UL sucks, he was making a mess in UL's backfield like Nick Fairley used to do

This is the only thing that makes sense about him going pro IMO. There's not enough tape on him to be a top 3rd rd draft choice. Also JMO. He has played 2 meaningful quarters since 2013. The draft is in 2016, so in 3 calendar years he's played 2 quarters getting most the snaps and couldn't even make it past halftime. Other than that he had spot duty as a backup in 2013. That's not enough in my opinion to put him in the top 3 rounds. But I'm not paid the big bucks to make these decisions.

I also selfishly want him to stay because even tho UL sucks, he was making a mess in UL's backfield like Nick Fairley used to do

Cole Cubelic disagrees. Says he goes in round 2 or 3 even if he never sees the field again.

Cole Cubelic disagrees. Says he goes in round 2 or 3 even if he never sees the field again.

Cole also ripped Gus a new one for "going old school" in practice during an off week as if Gus was the dumbest coach ever. Turns out he was way off. Cole is officially nothing more than a talking head and lately no better than the writers we all hate. I'd ignore 99 percent of what he says unless it is breaking down a play. Everything else out of his mouth has become propoganda.

That's cool. I mean everyone was so sure Coates would be a 1st-2nd rd pick but he fell all the way to the 4th and he actually played in the games.

And CC might be right, I'm not saying he's wrong, we just won't know until the time comes. It just seems if a guys stock can fall off drastically because of behavioral issues even though he played in all the games (just a theme we see with the NFL) I have a hard time seeing someone who has played 2 meaningful quarters in 3 years will get selected that high. But the money would be tempting as hell if i was in CL's shoes.

If he does end up going I hope the Panthers draft him lol

Can I clarify?

Carl's parents aren't any more in this than any other player's parents. They want what's best for Carl. I don't super love the argument framed in the light of his parents being somehow selfish or self-promoting. (Not saying anyone is doing this, but it's the next step the mind goes to.) It's incredibly important for his type of injury to come back once everything is healed up without doubt. He had a good visit with Dr. Andrews and they are still chasing the abnormal imaging. I do know that he is feeling better and looks to be light jogging on the hip without discomfort, so that's an excellent sign.

IF he plays again this year (which is still doubtful) we are weeks away. If I was a betting man, I'd say only 25% chance of playing this year, and if so, looking like Ga week.

Keep calm and Kerryon.

Can I clarify?

Carl's parents aren't any more in this than any other player's parents. They want what's best for Carl. I don't super love the argument framed in the light of his parents being somehow selfish or self-promoting. (Not saying anyone is doing this, but it's the next step the mind goes to.) It's incredibly important for his type of injury to come back once everything is healed up without doubt. He had a good visit with Dr. Andrews and they are still chasing the abnormal imaging. I do know that he is feeling better and looks to be light jogging on the hip without discomfort, so that's an excellent sign.

IF he plays again this year (which is still doubtful) we are weeks away. If I was a betting man, I'd say only 25% chance of playing this year, and if so, looking like Ga week.

Keep calm and Kerryon.

Good points and thanks. Carl is lucky to have parents that do care so much about him. If all parents were that involved in their children's lives we'd likely have a much better world. Thanks for the info and clarifications.

Can I clarify?

Keep calm and Kerryon.

Good points and thanks. Carl is lucky to have parents that do care so much about him. If all parents were that involved in their children's lives we'd likely have a much better world. Thanks for the info and clarifications.

Yep, totally respect a parent for looking for the best for their child. All of the fans on this forum want what's best for Auburn, but they want the best for their son. Maybe the two interests can converge and benefit each other, but at the end of the day it is their job to look after their son, not Auburn.

If there is any doubt he is completely healthy he should not play this year. I totally understand that his parents would not want him to play both for health reasons and for his future. Hurt again and there is nobody who could try and convince me his NFL stock would not drop significantly. I happen to disagree with some posters who I respect on how high he would go in the draft. My belief is that despite his measurable talent the lack of PT and the injuries would outweigh his potential. Would he be drafted yes but I believe 4th round at best.

If to be sure he is truly healthy and he stays out balance of year and comes back next year and has the kind of performance I think he is capable he could easily be a second or even first round pick but it is a crap shoot and I could understand his not coming back and going to NFL. If he does decide to go to NFL and not play again I hope the posters who disagree with me are right and I am wrong because Carl is a fine young man and I want the best for him

Can I clarify?

Keep calm and Kerryon.

Yep, totally respect a parent for looking for the best for their child. All of the fans on this forum want what's best for Auburn, but they want the best for their son. Maybe the two interests can converge and benefit each other, but at the end of the day it is their job to look after their son, not Auburn.

Exactly. That's what Carl's parents are doing, they are looking out for him. Things could change. IF we turn things around and sees that we could have a special season next year, he might come back next year. However, as it stands, it appears that he is gone. I agree, I think most Auburn fans here appear to think emotionally rather than with logic. No one here would pass up a chance in the NFL if they could go, so why should he?

Thanks PTB...

I've been wondering such.

and when coupled with a Nick Chubb type scenario, this could add to the objectivity of a parent(s) :

fansided.com/2015/10/10/nick-chubb-injury-insurance/

Nick Chubb suffered a brutal injury on Saturday afternoon, but his injury insurance policy is a little complicated.

. . . There is indeed some injury insurance for Nick Chubb in the form of $5 million, but there’s a massive catch which will probably prevent him from ever seeing that money. According to NFL Draft guru Matt Miller, the only way that Chubb will see that insurance money is if there is a permanent disability — which probably isn’t the case. . .

it seems even the backup plan is not what was envisioned.

If the assumption is that Carl will get injured the next time he steps on the field he'd better be hitting the books. The NFL won't be as kind to his body as college ball is.

If the assumption is that Carl will get injured the next time he steps on the field he'd better be hitting the books. The NFL won't be as kind to his body as college ball is.

That makes no sense. Even if he gets injured in the NFL, he would still be making more money than he would ever get by staying at Auburn another year. It makes more sense if he left after this year, rather than risk getting hurt again next year. At least in the NFL, he'll be getting paid if he gets hurt. He can always come back to college and get his degree if he doesn't make it in the NFL. Put the personal agenda aside, and see that him leaving makes more sense than staying....

Exactly

Archived