Kentucky Post Game Thoughts & Report Card

StatTiger

Auburn is now 86-6 since 1981, when scoring at least 14 points during the first quarter. Of the six losses, five have occurred with Gus Malzahn at Auburn. The losses were primarily on the shoulders of the defense. Auburn is now 126-2 since 1981, when leading by 13 or more points at halftime. The two losses are from 1986 (Florida) and 1996 against Georgia. Auburn made some major improvements on the offensive side of the ball as the offense and special teams finished with a passing grade. From 2010-2015, Auburn is now 49-1, when 2 of the 3 phases has a passing grade.

Making his third start, Sean White once again showed the game is not too big for the red shirt freshman. He finished the game 17 of 28, which included several dropped passes. He had a career high, 255-yards passing and was allowed to challenge the Wildcat defense. White was 5 of 8 passing against Kentucky in the intermediate to seep ball range, a season high for the Auburn pass-offense. Except for a near pick in the red zone, White was very sharp throwing the football tonight. Ricardo Louis had a career game with 7 receptions for 154-yards. He was involved in 5 of Auburn's 7 impact plays. He had a couple of drops during the second-half but his 34-yard reception was a great adjustment on the football. Auburn needed him to step up with the departure of Duke Williams.

Peyton Barber worked hard for his 92-yards rushing and 2 TD's as the OL struggled blocking the interior of the Wildcat DL. Auburn threw for a season high, 31.0% on first down, which proved to be extremely successful against the Wildcats. The Tigers averaged 12.5 yards per play, throwing on first down and only 2.6 yards running the football. The Tigers clearly had more success running on the edges than between the tackles. The defense was gashed way too many times with explosive plays, especially during the first-half. Of the 240-yards allowed during the first-half, 190-yards came on 6 explosive plays. For the night, the defense surrendered 9 explosive plays for 273-yards (30.3 per play) and 3.3 yards per play on the remaining 68 snaps.

Game Report Card:

Game #6 Statistical Evaluation (Kentucky Game)

Offensive Report Card

01) Avg 6-yards per play on 1st down: [5.68] fail

02) Convert at least 40% of 3rd downs: [61.1%] pass

03) Avg at least 4.5 yards per rush: [3.23] fail

04) Score on at least 1/3 of possessions: [50.0%] pass

05) Keep 3 and out series under 33%: [16.7%] pass

06) Average 8.0 yards per pass attempt: [9.11 yds] pass

07) Score at least 75% inside red zone: [100.0%] pass

08) TD red zone above 60%: [60.0%] fail

09) Avg at least 30-yards per possession: [33.8 yds] pass

10) 40% of offensive snaps part of scoring drives: [70.7%] pass

11) TD / Turnover ratio above 1.6: [3 / 0] pass

12) TD ratio of at least 1 every 17 snaps: [25.0] fail

13) At least 8 impact plays: [7] fail

14) At least 2 big plays: [2] pass

15) Pass rating of at least 126.3: [137.2] pass

Score: 10 of 15 (66.7%) Pass

Defensive Report Card:

01) Avg under 6-yards per play on 1st down: [5.92] pass

02) Convert below 35% of 3rd downs: [38.5%] fail

03) Avg at least 4.0 yards per rush or less: [418] fail

04) Score 1/3 of possessions or below: [45.4%] fail

05) Keep 3 and out series above 33%: [27.3%] fail

06) Average below 7.5 yards per pass attempt: [8.16 yds] fail

07) Score below 75% inside red zone: [83.3%] fail

08) TD red zone below 60%: [50.0%] pass

09) Avg under 30-yards per possession: [45.2 yds] fail

10) Less than 40% of offensive snaps part of scoring drives: [57.1%] fail

11) TD / Turnover ratio below 1.6: [3 / 1] fail

12) TD ratio of at least 1 every 30 snaps: [25.7] fail

13) Less than 8 impact plays: [10] fail

14) No more than 2 big plays allowed: [3] fail

15) Pass rating below 125.0: [125.4] fail

Score: 2 of 15 (13.3%) Fail

Special Teams Report Card:

1) Punt Average (Above 41.3): [40.8] 2/5 inside 20 (fail)

2) Punt Return Defense (Below 7.8 YPR): [0.0] pass

3) Punt Return Offense (Above 9.8 YPR): [1.0] fail

4) Kick-Return Defense (Below 21.2 YPR): [18.0] pass

5) Kick-Return Offense (Above 22.3 YPR): [25.8] pass

6) PAT’s (100%): [3 of 3] pass

7) FG Pct (75% or above): [3/3] pass

Score: 5 of 7 (71.4%) pass

* Keep in mind that above 50% is a passing score.

For the season through 6 games, the Auburn offense has graded out at 48.3 percent. The defense has graded out at 41.6 percent and special teams leads the team at 75.0 percent.

War Eagle!

I was just happy to see some intermediate passes...seems like up to this point it was either bubble screen or fly route, no in between.

Seems to me we saw a lot more variety in formations in the first quarter, too. I haven't analyzed the game (just watched it once); so I could be wrong. But I saw things that looked new to me.

Stat, will you comment on the defensive play? I thought Will put together a solid game plan and was impressed with the effort and intensity. I also was excited to see some solid play from some very talented freshman. I know we lack depth in some areas, but if we can continue to grow and perform more consistently, then I think we will he fielding a decent defense by the end of the year. I liked the way they played in the third quarter when our offense was abysmal.

He did but I don't think he does as well as Ford. Seems like Ford his his top gear quicker than anybody we have on the team

Stat, will you comment on the defensive play? I thought Will put together a solid game plan and was impressed with the effort and intensity. I also was excited to see some solid play from some very talented freshman. I know we lack depth in some areas, but if we can continue to grow and perform more consistently, then I think we will he fielding a decent defense by the end of the year. I liked the way they played in the third quarter when our offense was abysmal.

As long as there is no consistency from the DL, there will be no consistency from the defense. It truly begins up front, which is the primary issue right now. Would not be shocked to see a move towards a new DL coach after this season.

As long as there is no consistency from the DL, there will be no consistency from the defense. It truly begins up front, which is the primary issue right now. Would not be shocked to see a move towards a new DL coach after this season.

Right, and I think posters need to take our defensive play with a grain of salt considering our defensive line play. I feel like we have a bend and not break mentality, and that's primarily because we are so poor up front. Being aggressive is a really big risk for us right now, it seems.

He did but I don't think he does as well as Ford. Seems like Ford his his top gear quicker than anybody we have on the team

Definitely. If Ford can hit the hole he could be taking it to the house.

KJ has been tremendous for auburn as a true freshman

I really don't think Kerryon is running full speed. Looks like he's concentrating on holding on to the ball which I'm totally fine with at this point in his career. Let him work on his arm strength some and get a little bigger though and he could be extremely good.

Edit* off subject: Westry had a good game tonight and while I think Dinson will be good for us, I wish we could have gotten Westry as well.

D-line must improve......l was so mad when Cassinova missed tackle for loss(dang gloves)....His play did improve after missed tackle.

Saw good sportsmanship from both teams.

Kentucky is much improved from years past.

Stat: Wonder if the defensive standards are still very relevant these days with so much high powered offense.

Would be interesting to see what a Baylor game analysis looks like...say after their Texas Tech game...probably both offenses at least 14 out of 15 and the defense about 2 of 15. Their goal ...as was ours the past half dozen or so years has been to outscore the opposition and probably the only time not "winning the defense" matters is when you lose the game...and the reverse too of course.

Thanks for doing the numbers ...always interesting and many times it's revealing.

Can 't believe the defense got a 2 out of 15. I was expecting more like a negative 15. Worst defensive performance as a whole I can ever remember. I know we've given up more points and yards before, but if KY could actually catch the ball, they would have had 600 yards and 40 points...Before last night they were averaging 18ppg game in SEC play....and yet against us, if they could catch, KENTUCKY WOULD HAVE HAD 600 YARDS AND 40 POINTS....Let that sink in

Can 't believe the defense got a 2 out of 15. I was expecting more like a negative 15. Worst defensive performance as a whole I can ever remember. I know we've given up more points and yards before, but if KY could actually catch the ball, they would have had 600 yards and 40 points...Before last night they were averaging 18ppg game in SEC play....and yet against us, if they could catch, KENTUCKY WOULD HAVE HAD 600 YARDS AND 40 POINTS....Let that sink in

...and if KY's coaches weren't the worst clock managers I have ever seen, we could have lost the game. KY never should have put themselves in that 4th and 4 situation with no timeouts.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy that we won the game (this team needed the boost), but outside of a few isolated plays we were torched on defense. God help us against TAM, UGA, and UAT.

is it just me or is Ricardo Louis our only GOOD WR and can get open? The other WRs that had catches were covered up, where as, Ricardo can get wide open. I think this has also been part of the problem with the offense.

Does anyone have any updates on Roc Thomas? I never heard an update on the radio after he was helped to the locker room.

Auburn is now 86-6 since 1981, when scoring at least 14 points during the first quarter. Of the six losses, five have occurred with Gus Malzahn at Auburn. The losses were primarily on the shoulders of the defense. Auburn is now 126-2 since 1981, when leading by 13 or more points at halftime. The two losses are from 1986 (Florida) and 1996 against Georgia. Auburn made some major improvements on the offensive side of the ball as the offense and special teams finished with a passing grade. From 2010-2015, Auburn is now 49-1, when 2 of the 3 phases has a passing grade.

Making his third start, Sean White once again showed the game is not too big for the red shirt freshman. He finished the game 17 of 28, which included several dropped passes. He had a career high, 255-yards passing and was allowed to challenge the Wildcat defense. White was 5 of 8 passing against Kentucky in the intermediate to seep ball range, a season high for the Auburn pass-offense. Except for a near pick in the red zone, White was very sharp throwing the football tonight. Ricardo Louis had a career game with 7 receptions for 154-yards. He was involved in 5 of Auburn's 7 impact plays. He had a couple of drops during the second-half but his 34-yard reception was a great adjustment on the football. Auburn needed him to step up with the departure of Duke Williams.

Peyton Barber worked hard for his 92-yards rushing and 2 TD's as the OL struggled blocking the interior of the Wildcat DL. Auburn threw for a season high, 31.0% on first down, which proved to be extremely successful against the Wildcats. The Tigers averaged 12.5 yards per play, throwing on first down and only 2.6 yards running the football. The Tigers clearly had more success running on the edges than between the tackles. The defense was gashed way too many times with explosive plays, especially during the first-half. Of the 240-yards allowed during the first-half, 190-yards came on 6 explosive plays. For the night, the defense surrendered 9 explosive plays for 273-yards (30.3 per play) and 3.3 yards per play on the remaining 68 snaps.

Game Report Card:

Game #6 Statistical Evaluation (Kentucky Game)

Offensive Report Card

01) Avg 6-yards per play on 1st down: [5.68] fail

02) Convert at least 40% of 3rd downs: [61.1%] pass

03) Avg at least 4.5 yards per rush: [3.23] fail

04) Score on at least 1/3 of possessions: [50.0%] pass

05) Keep 3 and out series under 33%: [16.7%] pass

06) Average 8.0 yards per pass attempt: [9.11 yds] pass

07) Score at least 75% inside red zone: [100.0%] pass

08) TD red zone above 60%: [60.0%] fail

09) Avg at least 30-yards per possession: [33.8 yds] pass

10) 40% of offensive snaps part of scoring drives: [70.7%] pass

11) TD / Turnover ratio above 1.6: [3 / 0] pass

12) TD ratio of at least 1 every 17 snaps: [25.0] fail

13) At least 8 impact plays: [7] fail

14) At least 2 big plays: [2] pass

15) Pass rating of at least 126.3: [137.2] pass

Score: 10 of 15 (66.7%) Pass

Defensive Report Card:

01) Avg under 6-yards per play on 1st down: [5.92] pass

02) Convert below 35% of 3rd downs: [38.5%] fail

03) Avg at least 4.0 yards per rush or less: [418] fail

04) Score 1/3 of possessions or below: [45.4%] fail

05) Keep 3 and out series above 33%: [27.3%] fail

06) Average below 7.5 yards per pass attempt: [8.16 yds] fail

07) Score below 75% inside red zone: [83.3%] fail

08) TD red zone below 60%: [50.0%] pass

09) Avg under 30-yards per possession: [45.2 yds] fail

10) Less than 40% of offensive snaps part of scoring drives: [57.1%] fail

11) TD / Turnover ratio below 1.6: [3 / 1] fail

12) TD ratio of at least 1 every 30 snaps: [25.7] fail

13) Less than 8 impact plays: [10] fail

14) No more than 2 big plays allowed: [3] fail

15) Pass rating below 125.0: [125.4] fail

Score: 2 of 15 (13.3%) Fail

Special Teams Report Card:

1) Punt Average (Above 41.3): [40.8] 2/5 inside 20 (fail)

2) Punt Return Defense (Below 7.8 YPR): [0.0] pass

3) Punt Return Offense (Above 9.8 YPR): [1.0] fail

4) Kick-Return Defense (Below 21.2 YPR): [18.0] pass

5) Kick-Return Offense (Above 22.3 YPR): [25.8] pass

6) PAT’s (100%): [3 of 3] pass

7) FG Pct (75% or above): [3/3] pass

Score: 5 of 7 (71.4%) pass

* Keep in mind that above 50% is a passing score.

For the season through 6 games, the Auburn offense has graded out at 48.3 percent. The defense has graded out at 41.6 percent and special teams leads the team at 75.0 percent.

War Eagle!

Defense was worse than I thought. They barely made the 2 passes we had. Stat, what was our one loss when 2 out of 3 phases pass? Bama last year?

Archived