I love Malzahn...BUT

thaitopher

Very disappointed that we punted on 4th and 1 when Kentucky only had 8 players on the field. I think a well coached team would have taken advantage of that defensive set up and run the ball. If Kentucky has 11 players then fine, punt the ball, but there is no excuse when it would have essentially been a gimme to get the first down.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very disappointed that we punted on 4th and 1 when Kentucky only had 8 players on the field. I think a well coached team would have taken advantage of that defensive set up and run the ball. If Kentucky has 11 players then fine, punt the ball, but there is no excuse when it would have essentially been a gimme to get the first down.

Yeah, it's hard to know what to think on that play. Obviously we can't call a timeout. And, an audible would have needed to have been called from the sideline which takes time, maybe enough for Kentucky to get all 11 on the field. In my opinion that would have needed to have been called from a player on the field, and I doubt anyone has that discretion in punt formation. That being said, it was an unusually opportunistic situation that we weren't able to take advantage of.

The 8 men UK screwup was unexpected. Not sure there was time left to call in the fake punt. Does Gus even have a fake punt play? Missed opportunity, sure, but understandable that we didn't take advantage.

What exactly did you want them to do?

Snap it to a 330lb blocker and hope he doesn't fumble?

There was no way Phillips was going to take that into his own hands.

I wanted to go for it. But what I liked about that decision, was him talking to Muschamp on the sideline and Muschamp telling him the D WILL get the stop. Gus trusted him and punted.

UK had 8 players because once they realized AU was punting, they changed personel. And it's not like once they saw UK trying to swap player they can snap the ball. It's not that simple. Too much could go wrong unless everyone was ready for the ball to be snapped. What if the punter isn't looking? What if there aren't enough players at the LOS? If you aren't going to go for it (and I wish they had), then the best thing to do is follow the script and run the punt play as designed and punt it away.

The only reason they had 8 guys out there is because they were rushing to get their regular D out and punt coverage team in.

UK had 8 players because once they realized AU was punting, they changed personel. And it's not like once they saw UK trying to swap player they can snap the ball. It's not that simple. Too much could go wrong unless everyone was ready for the ball to be snapped. What if the punter isn't looking? What if there aren't enough players at the LOS? If you aren't going to go for it (and I wish they had), then the best thing to do is follow the script and run the punt play as designed and punt it away.

Beat me to it.

I would be willing to bet that after seeing the mess on Kentucky's side of the ball, Gus has given more than a little thought to how he could configure the punting team to take advantage of an opponent that isn't ready.

I didn't count players but saw some running on and some running off . I was just screaming snap it, thought surely it was substitution penalty.

I would be willing to bet that after seeing the mess on Kentucky's side of the ball, Gus has given more than a little thought to how he could configure the punting team to take advantage of an opponent that isn't ready.

One would certainly hope.

I also hope the fact that UK was so convinced we'd go for it has made him think again about whether he should have.

I didn't count players but saw some running on and some running off . I was just screaming snap it, thought surely it was substitution penalty.

No, AU substituted so the refs gave UK an opportunity to do the same.

Gus showed incredible foresight in putting Davis in the endzone on the Kick Six play. I wish he would have shown the same foresight last night in getting his players prepared for a situation like that, whether it is an audible by one of the players on the field, or whatever it might have been.

Actually, on that play the refs weren't standing over the ball.

Really dude? I wanted to go for it as well, but you don't call an audible with the game on the line in a situation like that. Punting the ball was the right call. The ball was at mid field.

I wanted to go for it. But what I liked about that decision, was him talking to Muschamp on the sideline and Muschamp telling him the D WILL get the stop. Gus trusted him and punted.

Will and the defense needed a show of confidence and they backed it up. I wanted to go for it too but, in retrospect, it was the right call for the team.

Actually, on that play the refs weren't standing over the ball.

Yes they were.

Even if uou have a fake audible option it has to be put on on the sideline before the play. I doubt we could check to it on any punt, especially that situation. Maybe we do put something in now.

All this fake punt suggesting is dumb. If you watch the play, the ref stands behind the center with his arm out telling the punter to wait. He stays there until UK gets their punt return team on the field. If AU had snapped the ball it would have been a snap infraction. Geez.

Yep.

By all means, let's get mad if it happens again. But let's remember that this team has essentially had to be rebuilt midseason, and Gus is a very young coach in terms of experience. These are the kinds of things that we're going to have to give him a chance to learn with experience. Feel free to yell about not having a more experienced coach, but that's a different conversation IMO.

Or maybe jared52 is right ^^^ and there wasn't even an option to snap it early...

Biggest win of the season to date, and all these "fans" are complaining over this!! Best play call was to punt---too many things could have gone wrong and UK gotten a chance at field goal if an audible called in the confusion. Enjoy the win, and the improved play calling for at least today!!

Archived