I love Malzahn...BUT

thaitopher

A well coached team would have gotten the first down.

A lot of well coached teams get stopped on 4th and 1. See the Iron Bowl 2013.

Indeed. Considering the execution issues the offense has been struggling with all season, I'm glad taking advantage of a Kentucky personnel mistake in a 4th and 1 punting situation hasn't been high on their priority list. I'm also glad that the punting unit didn't decide to ad lib and make a mistake like fumbling the ball for Kentucky to return for a TD and win the game.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FWIW I hate our punt formation. No serious threat of a fake.

Well, there is 3 different guys that the ball could be snapped that stand before the punter...maybe an option there :dunno:

Also, I think our formation is pretty standard throughout college football. Doesn't of course mean you are required to like it. I am fine with it based on the fact that it does a good job of protecting the punter. That should be top priority iyam

Honestly I did not like the call and I wanted him to go for it. But... It worked. We won. The correct choice was made this time. So arguing over if it was the correct call is futile

HOWEVER...

This is my own personal opinion but I think if this would have been UGA or UAT, I would want Gus to go for it... and I think we would go for it.

I wanted him to go for it based on our defensive play but punting was the right call. Defense stepped up when they had too so it worked out. Much more concerning to me is the continued 3rd quarter doldrums particularly when we have a lead.

Honestly I did not like the call and I wanted him to go for it. But... It worked. We won. The correct choice was made this time. So arguing over if it was the correct call is futile

HOWEVER...

This is my own personal opinion but I think if this would have been UGA or UAT, I would want Gus to go for it... and I think we would go for it.

My opinion is that Gus was likely inclined to go for it, and decided that a gesture of confidence in the defense might be better. It's a gamble either way.

My opinion is that Gus was likely inclined to go for it, and decided that a gesture of confidence in the defense might be better. It's a gamble either way.

I think you nailed it. The defense needed a win for the rest of the season. It was a gamble, but I think it will pay off in the future.

I wanted to go for it, but being on our side of the 50 with that little time remaining seemed like a really bad idea. The risk/reward ratio is not good there.

I have started to question Gus on many things since last season, but this one play is not one of them.

wde

I wanted to go for it, but being on our side of the 50 with that little time remaining seemed like a really bad idea. The risk/reward ratio is not good there.

I agree with you, on both counts: wanting to go for it, and thinking going for it is a bad idea. The traditional smart play in those circumstances is punt the football, try to pin them deep, then get a defensive to win the game. Consistently bad defensive play forces everyone to think any situation that relies on defense to stop someone is a bad call, and I understand that too.

I wanted him to go for it based on our defensive play but punting was the right call. Defense stepped up when they had too so it worked out. Much more concerning to me is the continued 3rd quarter doldrums particularly when we have a lead.

There are times, like the Iron bowl in 2013, where we look great in the 3rd quarter. But there are several games last year and this year especially that have been terrible in the 3rd quarter. It is an odd deal. Everyone talks about the 1st quarter (which was great) but the only reason it was great was because we converted several 3rd and longs. Those same 3rd downs were drops in the 3rd quarter. Plus we kicked off to them and our defense is not able to get off of the field so it means that we only had a few chances with the ball. Our offense has to be efficient with every possession because the defense is... well they are bad. It is what it is at the moment. Basically we have to score just about every time we have the ball to stay in these games.

Now we're getting to the root of the issue. Thaitopher, you may not mean to be, but you're trolling hard.

Very disappointed that we punted on 4th and 1 when Kentucky only had 8 players on the field. I think a well coached team would have taken advantage of that defensive set up and run the ball. If Kentucky has 11 players then fine, punt the ball, but there is no excuse when it would have essentially been a gimme to get the first down.

Maybe the most ill-informed post ever, although the competition is fierce.

Now we're getting to the root of the issue. Thaitopher, you may not mean to be, but you're trolling hard.

How is that trolling? What, for saying what I think????

Very disappointed that we punted on 4th and 1 when Kentucky only had 8 players on the field. I think a well coached team would have taken advantage of that defensive set up and run the ball. If Kentucky has 11 players then fine, punt the ball, but there is no excuse when it would have essentially been a gimme to get the first down.

Ill-informed??? For punting it when Kentucky has 3 players on the line of scrimmage and we only need a yard to get the first down?

The thread is troliing for folks to complain about how ill-coached the team is. It's not about discussing that one call. You just showed your hand. I still wonder if you're trolling on purpose. But make no mistake -- the thread invites people to complain about the coaches/team, not just to discuss that one call.

kentucky had no time outs. we could have tried something pre snap to get a penalty or get them in a bad alignment to make a yard. a penalty doesnt hurt us there, we also had at least 2 time outs. i will email this to Gus.

The thread is troliing for folks to complain about how ill-coached the team is. It's not about discussing that one call. You just showed your hand. I still wonder if you're trolling on purpose. But make no mistake -- the thread invites people to complain about the coaches/team, not just to discuss that one call.

I haven't called for Gus to be fired. In the thread title I made it a point to mention that I love Gus, but was disappointed with this one call. Hardly call that trolling.

Ill-informed??? For punting it when Kentucky has 3 players on the line of scrimmage and we only need a yard to get the first down?

there is no reasonable way to anticipate that situation. I have never seen that situation happen before. Particularly in a Division 1 college game before. About the only thing you could have had happen there is have a super athletic punter (anyone remember the kicker FSU had in the 90's who ran a sub 4.5) who simply improvised and outran the defense to the first down marker on the far side of the field. Absolutely NO WAY do you risk doing something risky like a split second audible fake. Again, no way to have anticipated that situation by any coach.

FWIW, Kentucky's blunder and our punters skill ensured that we had a punt downed inside their 20, which was a raving success on that play.

I haven't called for Gus to be fired. In the thread title I made it a point to mention that I love Gus, but was disappointed with this one call. Hardly call that trolling.

So, not on purpose, then?

If not, you should take a look at the thread and your posts in it. Because what appears to be your actual position is that this is not a well-coached team. That one play is merely the pretense for you to make that larger point -- and to invite others to join you in doing so.

If not, you should take a look at the thread and your posts in it. Because what appears to be your actual position is that this is not a well-coached team. That one play is merely the pretense for you to make that larger point -- and to invite others to join you in doing so.

I would invite you to read my 450 plus posts (I am sure you don't have the time). These are probably the first posts I have ever criticized Gus since being a member on this site over a year and a half ago. I am not of the trolling crowd, but I don't think I should be bashed for giving the opinion that the team should have been ready to take advantage of UK's screw up. It's unexcusable to not take advantage of that situation, when they have 3 players on the line of scrimmage and one yard to go.

I would invite you to read my 450 plus posts (I am sure you don't have the time). These are probably the first posts I have ever criticized Gus since being a member on this site over a year and a half ago. I am not of the trolling crowd, but I don't think I should be bashed for giving the opinion that the team should have been ready to take advantage of UK's screw up. It's unexcusable to not take advantage of that situation, when they have 3 players on the line of scrimmage and one yard to go.

I dont mean for this to be smart allecky ... it might seem that way ... but how would YOU have specifically gone about handling this situation? In game and pregame.

Sorry if you feel bashed. That's not my intention at all. I'm trying to give you the benefit of the doubt, since I have probably read most (if not all) of your posts. If you were a serial troll, I wouldn't take the time to discuss any of this with you. Since I don't think you are, I thought I'd take the time to suggest you go back over this thread to see if you can see what I see in it. If I thought you were hopeless, I'd never even make that suggestion.

:cheers:

Sorry if you feel bashed. That's not my intention at all. I'm trying to give you the benefit of the doubt, since I have probably read most (if not all) of your posts. If you were a serial troll, I wouldn't take the time to discuss any of this with you. Since I don't think you are, I thought I'd take the time to suggest you go back over this thread to see if you can see what I see in it. If I thought you were hopeless, I'd never even make that suggestion.

:cheers:/>

Completely understand where you are coming from. Maybe I shouldn't have said the phrase "if this was a well coached team." Obviously, Gus has showed coaching brilliance in the previous years and I fully give him credit for that...it just appeared to be lacking on that one play.

:cheers:/>

Completely understand where you are coming from. Maybe I shouldn't have said the phrase "if this was a well coached team." Obviously, Gus has showed coaching brilliance in the previous years and I fully give him credit for that...it just appeared to be lacking on that one play.

It looked like a real opportunity, for sure. I'd actually have gone for it on fourth down and not brought the punt team out. But it's difficult to see how he could have anticipated that exact situation, with UK running out only 8 men for punt coverage. It'd be nice to think he'd install some kind of hot read/audible for that sort of eventuality in the future. But that might be riskier than sticking the O out there and going for it straight up. I mean, we consistently outflanked them througout the game running to one side or the other; and Peyton wasn't stoned for no gain, that I remember, all night. So, we had options.

Archived