I love Malzahn...BUT

thaitopher

Rebuilding or not, we should be able to pick up a yard in that situation against Kentucky.

"Should" being the operative term. If you try to pick up that one yard and don't you've all but handed Ky. the opportunity to at least tie the game, if not win outright. The best way to win the game was to punt the ball. It was a risk/reward situation and that was all in favor of punting.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rebuilding or not, we should be able to pick up a yard in that situation against Kentucky.

"Should" being the operative term. If you try to pick up that one yard and don't you've all but handed Ky. the opportunity to at least tie the game, if not win outright. The best way to win the game was to punt the ball. It was a risk/reward situation and that was all in favor of punting.

I agree, at the time i wanted to go for it, but looking back it was the best approach to be conservative and hand it to your defense. I think it allowed them to gain some confidence.

Do any of you see coach Malzahn making any coaching changes after this season? I at least hope we get a new DL coach who can really recruit. We also need a new OL coach and a OC/QB coach.

Do any of you see coach Malzahn making any coaching changes after this season? I at least hope we get a new DL coach who can really recruit. We also need a new OL coach and a OC/QB coach.

NO...we need some stability...

Stat, do you have any numbers on the percentage a college team can take the last possession for the winning score. Given 4 downs instead of three it must be greater than the percentage of scoring drives the rest of the game.

I don't know that would put their money on our defense stopping KY over the chance of making 4th+1.

Everyone gets upset when a good defense goes into prevent mode.

Bet the coaches at UT understand when you get the ball late in the game that you need to keep it.

Little doc

I would imagine Gus would have gone for it in 2010, 2013 and maybe in 2014. Coming into the Kentucky game, Auburn had converted only 65% of their short-yardage (2-yds or less) during their last 2 games. A huge drop off from the 2010 and 2013 seasons combined of 84%. He also knew that AU was struggling running the ball against UK, averaging just 2.6 yards per rush on first down. As for this season, AU the opponent has scored 33% of the time, at least 85-yards away from the AU end zone.

So we had a 65 percent chance of winning if we went for it and a 67 percent chance if we punt (higher actually with time limited). We chose right and won. Wasn't that the point? It worked out and hopefully gave the D a confidence boost. Couldn't have worked out better. Why are we even questioning this?

Stat, do you have any numbers on the percentage a college team can take the last possession for the winning score. Given 4 downs instead of three it must be greater than the percentage of scoring drives the rest of the game.

I don't know that would put their money on our defense stopping KY over the chance of making 4th+1.

Bet the coaches at UT understand when you get the ball late in the game that you need to keep it.

Little doc

I would imagine Gus would have gone for it in 2010, 2013 and maybe in 2014. Coming into the Kentucky game, Auburn had converted only 65% of their short-yardage (2-yds or less) during their last 2 games. A huge drop off from the 2010 and 2013 seasons combined of 84%. He also knew that AU was struggling running the ball against UK, averaging just 2.6 yards per rush on first down. As for this season, AU the opponent has scored 33% of the time, at least 85-yards away from the AU end zone.

So we had a 65 percent chance of winning if we went for it and a 67 percent chance if we punt (higher actually with time limited). We chose right and won. Wasn't that the point? It worked out and hopefully gave the D a confidence boost. Couldn't have worked out better. Why are we even questioning this?

that stat has no application in that situation when the defense was out of sorts and only had three men at the line of scrimmage. It would have been 99% had we been prepared....that is why we are questioning this.

If any Auburn coach had wasted time preparing for that scenario I'd be (way) more disappointed... they've got volumes of more pressing things to consider... unlike the arm-chair :pcprobs: QB playing hindsight what-if's from the safety of his keyboard.

Little doc

that stat has no application in that situation when the defense was out of sorts and only had three men at the line of scrimmage. It would have been 99% had we been prepared....that is why we are questioning this.

You really believe with the limited amount of time they are allowed to practice, they should spend some of it preparing for scenarios that no one has ever seen before? Okay then.

Little doc

You really believe with the limited amount of time they are allowed to practice, they should spend some of it preparing for scenarios that no one has ever seen before? Okay then.

You make it seem more difficult than it really was. All they have to have is one fake punt play in their playbook then audible to it when they see the defense misaligned. Gus gets paid too much not to figure that one out.

Little doc

You make it seem more difficult than it really was. All they have to have is one fake punt play in their playbook then audible to it when they see the defense misaligned. Gus gets paid too much not to figure that one out.

You make it seem far easier that it really is....in the few seconds that UK was scrambling around. Don't think there is much support for this idea....maybe time to move to a different subject :dunno:

Little doc

Gus gets paid to win games and that is what happened. We need to work on other pressing items rather than a scenario that might happen at what .5% chance of occurrence.

It is just plain sad to me that we don't have enough confidence, or ability to gain a yard or less to ice a game at this point. I'm not saying we should have gone for it given our situation on offense, but having to make that decision saddens me. This wasn't the best DL in the country....it was Kentucky. What the heck have we become?

I don't see it as being sad, I see it as a rebuilding process. The running game is still not as consistent as the AU coaches would like. Replacing 3 starters on the OL, top-3 leading rushers and 2 TE's ended up not being a smooth transition. The OL is still trying to gel as a unit, we are rotating 3-backs and have put a lot of weight on 2 freshman FB's to get the job done. As well as Barber as performed, he is not a major break away threat and he occasionally hits the wrong gap. Like everyone else, he lacks experience and will improve with more reps. I expected a major drop off in the running game this season for the above stated reasons and the loss of Nick Marshall running the football. Despite all of this, AU is about 5.5 yards per game from being the #4 run-offense in the conference. This is why Gus had such a heavy-run game-plan against San Jose State, to work out some of the kinks in the running game before AU returned to conference play.

I've noticed that oftimes Barber does not see the hole open up and just lowers his head and drives into the pile. One of Tre's best assets was to bounce off the pile. Of course he had a passing gear that Peyton does not have. I'm really concerned about our running game against a really good DL. Our OL can hold their blocks but Barber has got to see the hole and hit it quick. As much as I admire PB he is an average SEC RB right now. The premier teams have a premier RB.

Best troll job ever

...says the troll.

Poet is nowhere near a troll and never has been. I'm not suggesting you are by any means, but Poet is definitely not.

Thanks...I was really kidding about trolling..however thaitopher is definitely intent on seeing his point through about this play...gotta admire the persistence

Best troll job ever

...says the troll.

Poet is nowhere near a troll and never has been. I'm not suggesting you are by any means, but Poet is definitely not.

Thanks...I was really kidding about trolling..however thaitopher is definitely intent on seeing his point through about this play...gotta admire the persistence

Ha! That's the only non negative thing I have seen written about me on this thread...I will take it. :)

Archived