Where is Byron Cowart?

AUClassof19

It is Lambert #6. My son and I sure thought it was 9, but we were wrong. From looking on search engines, it appears quite a few others missed it too. LOL

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been thinking about this for a while. Look at previous DL #1 overall recruits in the country going to the SEC in the last few years, Clowney and Nkemdiche . They come in the league with trumpets blaring , they never miss a down and the squawking heads never stop talking about them. It is NOT because he is a freshman.

Clowney and Nkemdiche had veteran defensive lines to support them.

Clowney was second string and able to play opposite one ALL-SEC end and one of the top sack masters in the SEC who was also a quality Tackle. He also missed A LOT of downs, since he wasn't a starter, was uselsss in the Alabama game his freshman year, and got hurt and was out for a few games.

Nkemdiche is a freak of nature who could play 3 positions coming out of high school and one of the very rare freshman to start at defensive end.

You are just going to have to learn patience. It's very rare that a freshman can just step in and excel in the trenches. Even more so when the other parts of the line aren't clicking. I would lay odds that if Carl was out there, Byron would be coming along a lot faster as defenses would have to account for both of them.

i agree. He is being outperformed by the other freshmen on our team(Holland specifically). He currently has 4 tackles through 6 games.

Holland is playing an entirely different position. You can't compare apples to oranges.

Uh, Nkemdiche was very pedestrian his freshman year. He was only a factor against terrible teams. Against top notch teams, Auburn included, he was bullied by offensive lineman. Nkemdiche had about the same stats through 6 games his freshman year as Cowart has.

Now Clowney is a different story. He was a man among boys the moment he stepped on campus.

Cowart is and will be fine.

Thank you. Nkemdiche was a good player as a freshman, but people had the same complaints about him. He wasn't putting up stats. He played some at DE and some at DT (switching permanently inside in the offseason). He was a solid player for Ole Miss, but he wasn't a gamechanger as a freshman.

I'm wondering if Cowart, like Nkemdiche, would be more productive and more dynamic inside as opposed to DE. He has the frame for 20 more pounds. He's built a lot like (Nkemdiche showed up at Ole Miss at 6'5" 265; Cowart was 6'3" 275). It could certainly be an option on third downs to get an extra rusher on the field, but that's likely an offseason consideration.

I've been thinking about this for a while. Look at previous DL #1 overall recruits in the country going to the SEC in the last few years, Clowney and Nkemdiche . They come in the league with trumpets blaring , they never miss a down and the squawking heads never stop talking about them. It is NOT because he is a freshman.

Clowney and Nkemdiche had veteran defensive lines to support them.

Clowney was second string and able to play opposite one ALL-SEC end and one of the top sack masters in the SEC who was also a quality Tackle. He also missed A LOT of downs, since he wasn't a starter, was uselsss in the Alabama game his freshman year, and got hurt and was out for a few games.

Nkemdiche is a freak of nature who could play 3 positions coming out of high school and one of the very rare freshman to start at defensive end.

You are just going to have to learn patience. It's very rare that a freshman can just step in and excel in the trenches. Even more so when the other parts of the line aren't clicking. I would lay odds that if Carl was out there, Byron would be coming along a lot faster as defenses would have to account for both of them.

i agree. He is being outperformed by the other freshmen on our team(Holland specifically). He currently has 4 tackles through 6 games.

Holland is playing an entirely different position. You can't compare apples to oranges.

Uh, Nkemdiche was very pedestrian his freshman year. He was only a factor against terrible teams. Against top notch teams, Auburn included, he was bullied by offensive lineman. Nkemdiche had about the same stats through 6 games his freshman year as Cowart has.

Now Clowney is a different story. He was a man among boys the moment he stepped on campus.

Cowart is and will be fine.

Nkemdiche was OK as a freshman, but not all world. Lawson was good as a freshman, but not all world. All everyone has to remember is WHO is talking about how good these players are ... the same idiot announcers who can't state whether it was Cowart or Lambert who was in on the final play of the game last night. If everyone hasn't noticed by now, talking heads in the sports world are absolute morons with only one purpose ... to fill air with noise. If I recall, most people agreed that Clowney may have been one of the best recruits EVER coming out of high school. Even he was not much more than really good at times as a freshman.

Hey, Crouching Tiger ... yall watching the game upside down?

Having all the single digit players on DL/LB units make it difficult to keep up sometimes lol

FOR REAL

1, 4, 6, 8, 9... why are they putting all the little numbers on all the biggest guys?!?!

Clowney and Nkemdiche were also on VASTLY superior defenses. When you can have favorable matchups vs being singled out as a threat, you usually succeed more.

Having all the single digit players on DL/LB units make it difficult to keep up sometimes lol

FOR REAL

1, 4, 6, 8, 9... why are they putting all the little numbers on all the biggest guys?!?!

Seriously. I thought it was cool when we had 1 or 2 guys with those numbers because of the novelty of having a big guy with a little number. But now I'm just like "who is that again?" Not to mention, 6,8,9 all look the freaking same when watching on TV.

FOR REAL

Seriously. I thought it was cool when we had 1 or 2 guys with those numbers because of the novelty of having a big guy with a little number. But now I'm just like "who is that again?" Not to mention, 6,8,9 all look the freaking same when watching on TV.

Somebody start a GoFundMe to get Tiger a bigger TV.

FOR REAL

hahahaha my TV is pretty big but I'm not going to argue with you there! Thanks in advance everybody!

FOR REAL

hahahaha my TV is pretty big but I'm not going to argue with you there! Thanks in advance everybody!

Can I make a pledge instead of a donation? :)

Well done, lionheartkc, hahaha...

Besides him blowing up one play during the San Jose State game, I can't think of any other time where he has had much of an impact. Will he ever turn the corner this season?

He's a true freshman .....are you really serious? Gee...I hope not.... :-\

Besides him blowing up one play during the San Jose State game, I can't think of any other time where he has had much of an impact. Will he ever turn the corner this season?

He's a true freshman .....are you really serious? Gee...I hope not.... :-\/>

One of the drawbacks of being s highly touted HS recruit. The fans set their expectations way too high.

Notice the screen name. He/she is class of 2019. He'/she is also a freshman. I wonder if he/she plans on ever turning the corner this year in whatever major he/she is studying and become a top notch contributor to that field :-\

Notice the screen name. He/she is class of 2019. He'/she is also a freshman. I wonder if he/she plans on ever turning the corner this year in whatever major he/she is studying and become a top notch contributor to that field :-\

Thanks.....I missed that....about this time in my freshman year I had just about learned my way around the campus and how to take short-cuts through a couple of the interior buildings when changing classes........and I considered that an accomplishment.

There are freshmen who come in and play great as freshmen some don't. I wish we'd have at least one of those guys who do every now and then....

FOR REAL

It makes them look bigger.

SW is a freshman...

He's a redshirt, and when I say great I mean the word great. Like freshman all American great. I know today is an SW is the greatest day but he has yet to play great

There are freshmen who come in and play great as freshmen some don't. I wish we'd have at least one of those guys who do every now and then....

Mike Dyer, Reese Dismukes.....lots of frosh make an impact at AU....Kerryon Johnson doing much more for this team that I expected as a freshman.

Samuel Coates

Did he make any impact plays as a freshman? I'm thinking like clowney or Garrett great. Hell even that corner for Alabama, all he does is come in and make plays

Mike Dyer, Reese Dismukes.....lots of frosh make an impact at AU....Kerryon Johnson doing much more for this team that I expected as a freshman.

Yeah those guys were a while ago, I wouldn't say alot...People talking about cowart and the universal reply is he's just a freshman

Having a 90 year old man do color commentary for ESPN doesn't help either.

He was sniping about Ricardo running out of bounds with 3:10 left to play...uh, coach they changed that rule in '08.

Archived