dB's finding the football

lost

Never coached so I have no ideas...Except an Auburn cheerleader and a wolf whistle.... I figure maybe that would maybe get him to turn and look..... You that have experience, played the position??? What do you think

IDK what you just said but...

I said this before CWM got here this time around, and I'll say it again: this was a huge gripe about CWM during his previous stint as DC for AU. But if we give him time the expected overall returns should be so much better than what we have seen for the almost a decade that I'm willing to sacrifice players not looking back at the ball every now and again if all other aspects of the D improve.

D-back playing man to man has to play off the receiver actions. If you turn your head away from receiver in today offenses receiver will adjust route and you will be beaten. It is about watching the receiver and turning when the receive looks like he is going for the ball Zone is different you are covering an area and looking at receiver coming into area and QB and you often see the QB throw the ball. Good receivers and QB's throw to receiver in a dead area where DB in zone has a lot of ground to make up.

The receiver knows where he is going so can look back and sees the ball first a good receiver waits to last second to turn to the ball and catch it giving DB the least amount of time to adjust especially on a back shoulder throw. One other thing is communication when the ball is thrown players on D that see it thrown need to yell Pass. With the noise in our big and loud SEC stadiums even when your teammate yells you might not hear it.

I thought Will taught that the DB couldn't look back unless he had his hand on the receiver. He used to call it being "in phase." At least that is what he said the last time he was our coordinator.

If a DB is out of phase, he needs to keep his eyes on the WR and walk him down. If he is in-phase, and the WR gives him a secondary "tell", such as his eyes, hands, or hips then he can look back, IF he is secure in the pressure and leverage he is applying. If he is not, then he needs to play through the receivers hands.

If a DB is out of phase, he needs to keep his eyes on the WR and walk him down. If he is in-phase, and the WR gives him a secondary "tell", such as his eyes, hands, or hips then he can look back, IF he is secure in the pressure and leverage he is applying. If he is not, then he needs to play through the receivers hands.

Exactly. This was covered briefly in the bama game (though with idiot announcers who didnt really understand why it happens). Long story short, they pointed out that trailing bama DBs are coached not to turn their head around and swat at the hands. Bird has explained the real reason why.

EDIT: Also, to actually answer the question, you get DBs to be in proper position, not trailing to where they can look for the ball without giving up tds if they are out of position. The better the initial coverage, the better chance to look for the ball. I promise you don;t want our guys looking for the ball on alot of plays as they will get smoked. They need another year or so of proper coaching to get to that level.

Corners have to be the fastest guys on the field, if they are just trying to keep up then they are not fast enough. The corner has to run the same route the receiver is running. The receiver is turning his head to find the ball. A fast corner just does the same exact thing. You want there to be two guys running a go route. One is the receiver and one is your DB. If your corner is on the inside he will normally win the battle for the ball. You never saw the NFL throw go routes against Deion Sanders. He would just run the route faster than your guy and you were throwing the ball to him. That's why they came up with the idea of back shoulder throws. So the corner would out run the throw.

All I know we are getting hammered. So Lord help our DB'S to develop the techniques, the hips, etc to make the adjustments and see if we can swat a few. intercept a few and upset the timing of the receiver.

Maybe its just me but I am more disappointed in zone coverage where none of our players seem to pick up offensive guys entering their zone. We will have receivers taking crossing routes and our guys still ten yards or so off of them instead of picking them up.

I was taught if someone enters your zone he becomes your responsibility.

Excellent work VT, A4E, excellent! Proves that Britt and Golf are overrated.

Brilliant observation icany but who in the hell did not know that already

:-\

Back to the real topic...... Perfect example was Davis (I think) on the play against KY where the guy the one-handed catch. He was perfectly " in phase" down field and failed to play/look for the ball and gave up a big play instead. Will come with experience though. Ball skills are a trait our DBs have been lacking on. Pains me to say but if you want to see good secondary play (usually).... watch Bammer.

Carlton is in phase most of the time and you can see an improvement every week at the point of ball arrival. It's starting to get to where it almost takes a perfect pass to beat him. Impressive for a true Freshman and an upgrade at the position from last year.

Carlton is in phase most of the time and you can see an improvement every week at the point of ball arrival. It's starting to get to where it almost takes a perfect pass to beat him. Impressive for a true Freshman and an upgrade at the position from last year.

Yep!!! Even the Kentucky pass play mentioned earlier was just a great play by the receiver. He never gave any read with his eyes or his hands. He was patient and waited until the ball was there to catch, reached out his arm and caught it.

Great coverage, great pass, great catch. (looked like how Randy Moss always waited for the last second to respond to a thrown ball his way)

Bama DB's, when in man, play a lot of catch man. They wait on the WR and collision them forcing them to alter their routes. The collision reroutes and slows down the WR. Revis plays this technique as well.

Archived