Gun Homicide Rate Down 49% Since 1993 Peak; Public Unaware

MDM4AU

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do think this is overlooked a lot. We tend to perceive things as much worse than they actually are.

That said, our gun homicide rates and our accidental gun death rates are much higher than other industrialized countries. We need to understand and figure out why that is and work toward some solutions.

I do think this is overlooked a lot. We tend to perceive things as much worse than they actually are.

That said, our gun homicide rates and our accidental gun death rates are much higher than other industrialized countries. We need to understand and figure out why that is and work toward some solutions.

Yeah, social media and "instant headlines" are major culprits for the perception.

Most of the solutions require people to act responsibly and obey the law. That would cut out 99% of it.

Most of the solutions require people to act responsibly and obey the law. That would cut out 99% of it.

Well, wouldn't that cut out 99% of all the world's problems? If people were responsible and obeyed the law, we wouldn't need guns or law enforcement at all.

Well, wouldn't that cut out 99% of all the world's problems? If people were responsible and obeyed the law, we wouldn't need guns or law enforcement at all.

You know what I meant. Geez. We can beat a dead horse but the more probable cause is the breakdown of the family unit/decline in moral ethics. You can also throw in mental illness related to the last two mentioned along with drug use, alcoholism, lack of proper storage of firearms by the gun owner....etc.

Like abortion, another debate defined by the extremes. Too much of the attitude of, "you can't give an inch or, you will give up a mile".

There is no reason to not close the gun show loophole or, to ban late term abortions (with some exceptions) but, those who hold extreme positions are successfully leveraging the partisan divide.

It would also help immensely if the POTUS set an example by obeying the law.......all of them not just the ones he wants to.

It would also help immensely if the POTUS set an example by obeying the law.......all of them not just the ones he wants to.

What laws has he broken? Are charges pending?

Like abortion, another debate defined by the extremes. Too much of the attitude of, "you can't give an inch or, you will give up a mile".

There is no reason to not close the gun show loophole or, to ban late term abortions (with some exceptions) but, those who hold extreme positions are successfully leveraging the partisan divide.

I don't have a problem with closing the GS loophole.

I think most feel that way. However, politics is more important than common sense.

I think most feel that way. However, politics is more important than common sense.

Sure seems that way but in today's world what real issue is there where politics isn't more important?

Ewe just aint won of der kewl kids. How dare ewe not agree wid all of dem dar libruls. Ewe is kilt da dang meme thang we was a pooshin about how all dose guns is ald da evile.

Have you been hanging around with ICHY?

Ewe just aint won of der kewl kids. How dare ewe not agree wid all of dem dar libruls. Ewe is kilt da dang meme thang we was a pooshin about how all dose guns is ald da evile.

Have you been hanging around with ICHY?

On some issues, yes. But on the real problem with guns, the real problem, is there really isnt one. The real overall view is that gun violence is way down since 1993. Overall violent crime is way down since 1993. We do still have problems, but we are way better than we used to be.

What laws has he broken? Are charges pending?

Maybe his order for the DOJ (ICE) to turn a blind eye to certain laws pertaining to illegal entry into the US is what he's referring to?

Violent crime is down in general. Anyone read the "Freakenomics" explanation of why?

Lead paint and abortion. I think that's fascinating. Also surprised they didn't consider the gasoline additive tetraethyl lead.

Hence the reason I couldn't care less about whether over half of them want more restrictions. Public opinion today is overwhelmingly based on feels over facts.

It will lead us to a very destructive place one day.....

Violent crime is down in general. Anyone read the "Freakenomics" explanation of why?

Lead paint and abortion. I think that's fascinating. Also surprised they didn't consider the gasoline additive tetraethyl lead.

they did.

they did.

Did they? It's been years since I read the book.

This is the sort of thing that worries me more than the gubmint coming for my guns.

Road rage shooting kills 4-year-old girl in New Mexico

http://www.cbsnews.c...-in-new-mexico/

No law could have stopped what happened here. Most road rage involves someone using their vehicle to ram/crash into the person they are angry with. Would we have heard about it if the headline were: "Road rage vehicular homicide results in the death of a 4-year-old in New Mexico"? Possibly because of the age of the child but would there be a new political push to regulate vehicle ownership? NO!

While this is tragic and horrific, it's not even a drop in the bucket compared to the other things going on in America or around the world that take precious lives away from us. And no, this isn't a straw man argument....it's an honest comparison. Bad people do bad things and the tools they use to do it vary.

Archived