So did you guys see Lambert's interview? Our beat writers kills him for it...

cole256

"There's no big challenge."

What planet are y'all from that this isn't downplaying an opponent? The Al.com guys definitely come across kind of douchey but they aren't wrong that we've won 2 "meh" games and our players seem to suffer from diarrhea of the mouth.

And ARKY has done what that are players should be in awe over???

Questions for you chimes.

Do you feel that facing Arky's offensive line is so much more of a "challenge" than facing LSU? (keep in mind that Lamberts answer was more about how tough it is in the SEC than it was about Arky being easy)

Do you feel that Arky has a better offensive line than AU? Why?

You're absolutely missing the point and that surprises me not at all. It's not about being in awe of your opponent. It's about carrying yourself the right way. I wouldn't care if he said it about an 0-5 D2 school, it's bush league and something that shouldn't happen.

Carry yourself with a quiet confidence...be tactful. Act like you've been there before. These are all things that should be engrained in the culture of the program.

the person that should be "tactful" is the a**hole paid to write and publish news about our team. You can take from that statement what you will. If i heard his interview without the headline or douche bag commentary afterwards i would in no way feel he came off as cocky or disrespectful to the opponent. Same with Rudy a fee weeks ago. Probably not the smartest answers but far from disrespectful or blatantly stupid as our own "writers" feel the need to magnify such benign player comments. Espn wouldn't have even picked up on this had it not been posted by these supposed in house media goobs.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll also add that they should stick to writing or blogging and not recorded opinions. Neither is going to be recruited to espn. They don't have any on camera qualities.

Is there any conference requirement that our players must sit for these kinds of interviews?

As much as al.com pushes the UAT program I don't recall seeing many of these type interviews with their players OR coaches other than NS.

Maybe AU should reconsider its policy on availability of coaches and players for media interviews.....just don't expose the players to media hacks who typically have an agenda.

Is there any conference requirement that our players must sit for these kinds of interviews?

As much as al.com pushes the UAT program I don't recall seeing many of these type interviews with their players OR coaches other than NS.

Maybe AU should reconsider its policy on availability of coaches and players for media interviews.....just don't expose the players to media hacks who typically have an agenda.

or just ignore questions from creapa. The message will get out.

Ignore AL.com and a couple of clowns that are posting in this thread(and do me a favor and stop quoting them). The media and these yahoos will never look at Auburn in a favorable light. There will always be something wrong and it's always our fault. IGNORE is your friend.

So...if we're boycotting Al.com with it's combo clownish bias and occasionally readable reporting, where is it we go exactly for that weekly insightful reporting about AU (fair or otherwise)? In-state papers? ESPN? Here?

So...if we're boycotting Al.com with it's combo clownish bias and occasionally readable reporting, where is it we go exactly for that weekly insightful reporting about AU (fair or otherwise)? In-state papers? ESPN? Here?

If you are referring to me, I subscribe to a couple of Auburn websites. I also realize that there is nothing in any of the outlets??? you mentioned that will make a difference on how we play or what's going on with the team. If someone is injured, I will find out at game time, if someone has a good game, I will see it happen on the field. If you think Gus is going to put out any earth shattering info, then I can't help you. I refuse to help people bash my alma mater by clicking on their website or watching their biased tv shows!

JMO but it's a matter of having the young players being questioned about team issues, or comments that end up on opponent bulletin boards, etc.....I mean, what is the benefit to AUburn ? Not saying we boycott them but limit the interviews to a couple coaches and if we want to do player interviews for the media, have the sports information department do them and send them out as press releases.

I just can't see the advantage to AU of allowing the beat writers to put young guys on the spot with the kind of questions those guy are going to ask.

The Columbus (Ga) Ledger-Inquirer has reasonable Auburn coverage. That's where al.com got Andy Bitter and Joel Erickson from. Pirated them away with more $ I suppose.

Media is going to be media. My problem is the apparent disconnect between how good are players think they are and how we have been looking on the field. Why does Lambert think he can handle Arkansas' O-line when he can't even handle San Jose St's O-line?

Media is going to be media. My problem is the apparent disconnect between how good are players think they are and how we have been looking on the field. Why does Lambert think he can handle Arkansas' O-line when he can't even handle San Jose St's O-line?

That's the way many college athletes think I guess.....have very high regard for themselves and not knocking Lambert in particular but what's the mentality that causes a 17 year old to talk about how it will be when he is in the NFL....and for AU fans to actually believe they are going to be that good. College sports is all about dreams and self delusion IMO.

That's the way many college athletes think I guess.....have very high regard for themselves and not knocking Lambert in particular but what's the mentality that causes a 17 year old to talk about how it will be when he is in the NFL....and for AU fans to actually believe they are going to be that good. College sports is all about dreams and self delusion IMO.

Thinking that way and speaking that way in public are two completely different things.

The two guys are not intellectual giants they kept harping on how big Arkansaas O-line is. If being the biggest was all it took every Pro team would have a huge O-Line. The Arkansas O-Line is solid but they have not been world beaters. Now they are correct when Lambert says the Arkansas O-Line is no big deal that is bulletin board material. I said this when Ford made his comment about Fournette it is no big deal. Over the years I have seen bulletin board material from lots of players I don't really believe it influences the game. Fournette has done to Auburn the same thing he has done to every other team. He would have done it whether Ford said anything or not it probably just made it that much sweeter after the fact for Fournette.

Lambert said it so now if he backs it up this will be forgotten but if they run amuck it will be because he said this not because our D-Line can't stop the run which they haven't stopped all year.

Sometimes the best answer is no comment. Also, another way to prevent overly negative or uncomfortable questions is to produce on and off of the field. Of course, the Al media is not going to be kind to the AU football program, but the AU football program is throwing batting practice to the AL media right now.

wde

Someone gets it. You don't run your mouth about the team you're going to play. YOU DONT RUN YOUR MOUTH ABOUT THE TEAM YOU'RE GOING TO PLAY.

YOU

DON'T

RUN

YOUR

MOUTH

ABOUT

THE

TEAM

YOU'RE

GOING

TO

PLAY

Have any of y'all ever played sports before? You walk softly and carry a big damn stick.

Chimes, I'm not sure if you are asking Lambert or the forum members this question as Lambert made the comment. Of course Lambert has played sports before or he would not have been offered a scholarship to play for Auburn. Ford made a similar statement prior to the LSU game and he has also played sports before coming to Auburn. So, what's your point?

The real question should be; have you ever been in front of the media (or on a witness stand) being asked leading question when you don't know the agenda of the person asking the questions? It's more difficult that you may think and a young football player with little or no experience answering these type of questions is like "throwing batting practice". As been stated before, these "reporters" are taking advantage of the inexperience of our players talking to the media.

Gus will have to deal with this problem, he may not allow the players to be available for any more interviews, which would be an unfortunate circumstance of this act.

I have no problem with them being critical. I'm not a hypocrite, at times I'm critical, some of my favorite posters on here have been critical before. It's their attitude and whether you are loyal to a school or not imo if you're a college beat writer when stuff comes up you jump on it, but you don't try to set players and coaches up to make a story yourself.

That Crepa guy was all over JJ after the LSU game trying to get him to say something. The first couple of games he wrote as if to make JJ look delusional or seem like he doesn't care about his performance. Then since he wouldn't bite he wrote about him saying he wouldn't react to coach replacing him and started that stuff up and it even worked here on the board. He tried to trip SW up into saying he's the starter before coach could say it and trust me that would've been a story. Just recently he tried to trip Gus up into saying stuff about wishing he'd still was coaching at Ark. They would've ran with that

You guys do realize that Lambert wasn't calling Arkansas a no challenge team, right? He never said anything bad about Arkansas. People on here have the nerve to get mad at the media for misrepresenting what Lambert was saying and then turn around and do the same damn thing. C'mon guys.

Sometimes the best answer is no comment. Also, another way to prevent overly negative or uncomfortable questions is to produce on and off of the field. Of course, the Al media is not going to be kind to the AU football program, but the AU football program is throwing batting practice to the AL media right now.

wde

Someone gets it. You don't run your mouth about the team you're going to play. YOU DONT RUN YOUR MOUTH ABOUT THE TEAM YOU'RE GOING TO PLAY.

YOU

DON'T

RUN

YOUR

MOUTH

ABOUT

THE

TEAM

YOU'RE

GOING

TO

PLAY

Have any of y'all ever played sports before? You walk softly and carry a big damn stick.

Chimes, I'm not sure if you are asking Lambert or the forum members this question as Lambert made the comment. Of course Lambert has played sports before or he would not have been offered a scholarship to play for Auburn. Ford made a similar statement prior to the LSU game and he has also played sports before coming to Auburn. So, what's your point?

The real question should be; have you ever been in front of the media (or on a witness stand) being asked leading question when you don't know the agenda of the person asking the questions? It's more difficult that you may think and a young football player with little or no experience answering these type of questions is like "throwing batting practice". As been stated before, these "reporters" are taking advantage of the inexperience of our players talking to the media.

Gus will have to deal with this problem, he may not allow the players to be available for any more interviews, which would be an unfortunate circumstance of this act.

True. Some of our players aren't too comfortable speaking yet. I think Barber is a great example, watch his latest interview and compare it to his first. He still seems sort of uncomfortable now actually. When you meet with your OWN media you shouldn't have to worry about people trying to get the best of you imo

Thinking that way and speaking that way in public are two completely different things.

Modern generation....what they think is what they say.....otherwise there would not be so many really stupid tweets out there.....

wde

YOU

DON'T

RUN

YOUR

MOUTH

ABOUT

THE

TEAM

YOU'RE

GOING

TO

PLAY

I'm asking the forum members who are blindly defending his comment. The ones who are saying, "What?! Is he supposed to be spineless?!"... Those guys.

And yes, as a matter of fact I have been in front of media before talking about my team's chances against an upcoming opponent. I certainly did not downplay them.

Yeah, there's a case to be made that we should be teaching our kids to be more media savvy if we're going to trot them out in front of microphones. And our beat writers should be fair and balanced and point out poor coaching and play when it happens. But setting up trap quotes that have nothing to do with what's happening on the field? To hell with that.

And Cole is right, Creepy has been at it ever since Gus no-showed an event in Montgomery. To hell with both of them.

You guys do realize that Lambert wasn't calling Arkansas a no challenge team, right? He never said anything bad about Arkansas. People on here have the nerve to get mad at the media for misrepresenting what Lambert was saying and then turn around and do the same damn thing. C'mon guys.

Exactly....I swear it seems some want the team to play bad or lose just to prove their dumbfounded opinions about anything and everything Auburn football related correct. What Lambert said or did not say will not have any impact on the game whatsoever...

Exactly....I swear it seems some want the team to play bad or lose just to prove their dumbfounded opinions about anything and everything Auburn football related correct. What Lambert said or did not say will not have any impact on the game whatsoever...

Agree!

Yeah, there's a case to be made that we should be teaching our kids to be more media savvy if we're going to trot them out in front of microphones. And our beat writers should be fair and balanced and point out poor coaching and play when it happens. But setting up trap quotes that have nothing to do with what's happening on the field? To hell with that.

And Cole is right, Creepy has been at it ever since Gus no-showed an event in Montgomery. To hell with both of them.

Well exactly and there are some people who cant seem to grasp that concept. Why do you ask a defensive lineman which team has the best O-line anyway ? No matter which way the player answers it, the reporter has his soundbite. It's the oldest trick in the media playbook.

Here is another concept to grasp. Our 18-20 year old AU players work too hard, then give it all they can on Saturdays, to have to put up with agenda driven "reporters" invited into their own house to play gotcha games. They don't need it, they shouldn't have to put up with it and they don't deserve all this criticism.

Well exactly and there are some people who cant seem to grasp that concept. Why do you ask a defensive lineman which team has the best O-line anyway ? No matter which way the player answers it, the reporter has his soundbite. It's the oldest trick in the media playbook.

Here is another concept to grasp. Our 18-20 year old AU players work too hard, then give it all they can on Saturdays, to have to put up with agenda driven "reporters" invited into their own house to play gotcha games. They don't need it, they shouldn't have to put up with it and they don't deserve all this criticism.

Absolutely correct....and coaches don't need to put this on them either. Mostly I blame the coaches since they control media access.

Archived