So did you guys see Lambert's interview? Our beat writers kills him for it...

cole256

What a pair of effing bozos. They baited Lambert and he bit. I personally believe he meant, "No extraordinary challenge," but it came out as "no big challenge," which has a different implication. I hate to say it, but Gus needs to stone up and use these two clowns to his advantage, a la Saban media rant. Those seem to work well for Bama when he goes off on writers. Marcello and Crepea are obviously under orders to stir up s**t. I can hear it now, "Hey guys, since AU has had a disappointing start to the season, let's see what floats to the top when you keep plunging." Utterly ridiculous. They have turned into bullies that need to be taken out back and worn out. Figuratively.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you think some of the people on this board get pissed at the coach speak, imagine how the guys who who's paycheck is dependent on writing on what the coaches say feel about it. They are probably pissed that CGM gives them literally nothing to work with except for "there's no doubt about that" and "____ is one of the best in all of college football" every single week. IMO this is why they now have to stir crap up to get more eyeballs on their articles. It also probably influences them to be more negative because they are bitter at Gus and how he runs the program from a media relations standpoint.

Not saying it's right. I mean, how backwards is it that AU's own beat writers are not on AU's side?

Yeah, there's a case to be made that we should be teaching our kids to be more media savvy if we're going to trot them out in front of microphones. And our beat writers should be fair and balanced and point out poor coaching and play when it happens. But setting up trap quotes that have nothing to do with what's happening on the field? To hell with that.

And Cole is right, Creepy has been at it ever since Gus no-showed an event in Montgomery. To hell with both of them.

Well exactly and there are some people who cant seem to grasp that concept. Why do you ask a defensive lineman which team has the best O-line anyway ? No matter which way the player answers it, the reporter has his soundbite. It's the oldest trick in the media playbook.

Here is another concept to grasp. Our 18-20 year old AU players work too hard, then give it all they can on Saturdays, to have to put up with agenda driven "reporters" invited into their own house to play gotcha games. They don't need it, they shouldn't have to put up with it and they don't deserve all this criticism.

Absolutely correct....and coaches don't need to put this on them either. Mostly I blame the coaches since they control media access.

I blame these 2 reporters but yeah, Gus should let them have it in the presser right in front of everybody and put an end to their games. If they don't listen, limit their access.

Yeah, there's a case to be made that we should be teaching our kids to be more media savvy if we're going to trot them out in front of microphones. And our beat writers should be fair and balanced and point out poor coaching and play when it happens. But setting up trap quotes that have nothing to do with what's happening on the field? To hell with that.

And Cole is right, Creepy has been at it ever since Gus no-showed an event in Montgomery. To hell with both of them.

Well exactly and there are some people who cant seem to grasp that concept. Why do you ask a defensive lineman which team has the best O-line anyway ? No matter which way the player answers it, the reporter has his soundbite. It's the oldest trick in the media playbook.

Here is another concept to grasp. Our 18-20 year old AU players work too hard, then give it all they can on Saturdays, to have to put up with agenda driven "reporters" invited into their own house to play gotcha games. They don't need it, they shouldn't have to put up with it and they don't deserve all this criticism.

Absolutely correct....and coaches don't need to put this on them either. Mostly I blame the coaches since they control media access.

I blame these 2 reporters but yeah, Gus should let them have it in the presser right in front of everybody and put an end to their games. If they don't listen, limit their access.

that or simply tell al.com they are not welcome here until they replace them. You can be objective even harsh without harping on mole hills. Hell, it even worked on some board members here. I saw the interview i don't need these dipshits to make an opinion on what this 20 year old kid meant. Hell yes there is an agenda.

If you think some of the people on this board get pissed at the coach speak, imagine how the guys who who's paycheck is dependent on writing on what the coaches say feel about it. They are probably pissed that CGM gives them literally nothing to work with except for "there's no doubt about that" and "____ is one of the best in all of college football" every single week. IMO this is why they now have to stir crap up to get more eyeballs on their articles. It also probably influences them to be more negative because they are bitter at Gus and how he runs the program from a media relations standpoint.

Not saying it's right. I mean, how backwards is it that AU's own beat writers are not on AU's side?

These guys have no connection to Auburn....just assigned here to get stories for al.com....like beat reporters for the White House or something. There is no reason to expect positive coverage of the team or players....and no benefit to AU to put our players in front of them for interviews.

Let the beat guys deal with the Sports Information people....and interview Gus and other coaches he might select for that purpose.

JMO but AU coaches and players are way too "available" for the media....not necessary to do this...

As I recall, it's not unprecedented to ban certain media members from press conferences. With the recurring battle with Gus and now this, I don't think that would be a bad idea. They could throw a fit about it, but that would just put a national spotlight on how biased they have been. I doubt they want that.

As I recall, it's not unprecedented to ban certain media members from press conferences. With the recurring battle with Gus and now this, I don't think that would be a bad idea. They could throw a fit about it, but that would just put a national spotlight on how biased they have been. I doubt they want that.

More likely their fellow media hacks would jump to their defense and slander AU even worse than in the past....can't think of a single media person that would come to Auburn's defense.

IMO there is no need to single out any beat writer for limited access.....just cut back across the board like our friends across the state do.....and don't put the players in front of the media except on special occasions like media days or such. It's not a difficult problem to solve in my view.

Just a quick question.....Do you claim to be an AU "fan"???

I have avoided this forum all year because of this crap.

I am an Auburn student and have been a fan since I was born. I, like everyone, here drank Gus's Kool-aid this offseason. I could not make the trip to Atlanta for personal reasons, but I was there for Jax State. I saw an underprepared team that deserved to lose. Play calling was awful and the team did not want to be there.

I told myself we were preparing for LSU. I went to that game also; made the whole 7 hour journey. The night before the game I met some LSU people at the bars. They were talking about how great the game was going to be and I told them they were going to kill us. I watched tiger walk the next day and Gus looked defeated and the team looked like they were forced to be there. That was the most embarrassed I have ever been to be associated with AU. We looked like a middle school team. It was disgusting what Gus had put on the field that day. I had hoped they wouldn't let him back on the bus.

Then we play MSU with a new QB who Gus handcuffs!! If he doesn't handcuff Sean, we win that game, but improvements showed. We then traveled to Lexington and stole a win. The O looked a little better, but the D looked like babies, to put it nicely.

Now someone tell me why the media should be writing positive articles about the football program. It is a few short steps away from being a dumpster fire! This is not a time to attack peoples' fanhood. It is a time to be concerned.

Now let me get my warning point and have people tell me how I'm not a true fan.

Steve spurrier and saban didn't put up with that. There is no affiliation with these reporters but respect is shown. Just like the previous two before these guys. And I'm also pretty sure the way they conducted themselves is why they received the opportunities to move on. Be professional.

I am an Auburn student and have been a fan since I was born. I, like everyone, here drank Gus's Kool-aid this offseason. I could not make the trip to Atlanta for personal reasons, but I was there for Jax State. I saw an underprepared team that deserved to lose. Play calling was awful and the team did not want to be there.

I told myself we were preparing for LSU. I went to that game also; made the whole 7 hour journey. The night before the game I met some LSU people at the bars. They were talking about how great the game was going to be and I told them they were going to kill us. I watched tiger walk the next day and Gus looked defeated and the team looked like they were forced to be there. That was the most embarrassed I have ever been to be associated with AU. We looked like a middle school team. It was disgusting what Gus had put on the field that day. I had hoped they wouldn't let him back on the bus.

Then we play MSU with a new QB who Gus handcuffs!! If he doesn't handcuff Sean, we win that game, but improvements showed. We then traveled to Lexington and stole a win. The O looked a little better, but the D looked like babies, to put it nicely.

Now someone tell me why the media should be writing positive articles about the football program. It is a few short steps away from being a dumpster fire! This is not a time to attack peoples' fanhood. It is a time to be concerned.

Overreaction much?

Don't know about the warning and all of that but your msu stuff isn't accurate at all

First... you might want to pick someone more worthy of defending than AUIH1. That guy could find a way to make a permanent and complete cure for cancer seem like a bad idea.

Second... no one is asking the media to write positive articles, they're calling the media out for fabricating drama to push their agenda and taking advantage of a kid in the process.

Finally... it's just football... relax a little. No one is going to die. Concentrate on getting an education from the best place to go to college in the country.

If I were Gus, I'd adopt a "no comment" policy for any question asked by these two imbeciles. How awesome would that be? For the rest of the year, any question asked by the Crap-ea fellow and the fat smug guy would be "no comment."

"What are your thoughts on the upcoming game, coach?" "No comment"

"Coach any news on Lawson?" "No comment"

And then answer every other question fully. He'll never do it, but it would rock.

Don't know about the warning and all of that but your msu stuff isn't accurate at all

The D gave up 17. That has been unheard of recently.

Are you also trying to say that the same QB who went on the road on the SEC on a Thursday and put up 30 points and didn't score a touchdown at home wasn't handcuffed?

You guys do realize that Lambert wasn't calling Arkansas a no challenge team, right? He never said anything bad about Arkansas. People on here have the nerve to get mad at the media for misrepresenting what Lambert was saying and then turn around and do the same damn thing. C'mon guys.

Yep.

I'll add to this and say that he gave a poorly worded answer to a live question, but I know for a fact he didn't mean it would be easy. Same goes for Rudy against LSU. It's like high school media. Clearly they didn't choose the best words but they knew it wouldn't be 'easy'.

I'm saying they was his first game and even his third game he made the same mistake he did the first. Not to mention the other two that should have been picked. No he wasn't hand cuffed he was helped he's being bright along like every other qb and it's laughable to say what he did against Kentucky he also could have done against miss st just because....If for nothing else look at the difference in o line play.

He's a better qb now than he was then...hence the improving with experience thing...

You guys do realize that Lambert wasn't calling Arkansas a no challenge team, right? He never said anything bad about Arkansas. People on here have the nerve to get mad at the media for misrepresenting what Lambert was saying and then turn around and do the same damn thing. C'mon guys.

Yep.

I'll add to this and say that he gave a poorly worded answer to a live question, but I know for a fact he didn't mean it would be easy. Same goes for Rudy against LSU. It's like high school media. Clearly they didn't choose the best words but they knew it wouldn't be 'easy'.

You would've thought even though he messed up that at least your school's beat writers would've at the LEAST write out his entire quote...he should've worded it different but damn

no one is asking the media to write positive artices. I think we are asking them to quit with these damn "gotcha" traps they are setting with their negative, leading, self serving questions. Then breaking down tiny parts of a player's response and turning it into " bulletin board " material for opponents. We all know how bad we are. Some are very shocked by it. Some didn't "drink the koolaid" and are better equipped to deal with a less than stellar season. This guy is probably trying to go the paul finebaum route of using fans angst against them to promote himself. He doesn't have that knack. I don't think he should be tolerated much more.

You can't be a real Auburn fan if you aren't super thrilled with every aspect of the program at all times. The coaches and players can do no wrong. A blind, emotionless, drone-like following is required to be a "true" Auburn fan. Get with the program, noob.

^ Bammer

Haha that's EXACTLY what I was going to say in response to pvilletiger, but I decided to get clever with it. Should've kept it simple...

If you check them out on LinkedIn, both seem somewhat competent. Marsello did go to arky but that doesn't necessary mean anything. Being a sports beat reporter, with newspapers dying by the hundreds, and trying to make any kind of living has got to be tough.

Gus's approach of vanilla coach-speak and them under pressure to drive clicks to their website is predictable recipe for this. Our liking them doesn't make car payments. I'm not excusing the hatchet job, just saying if you're trying to lace your reporter resume with best story awards, Gus's approach combined with wavering fan interest makes their go negative tack kinda obvious.

If I were Gus, I'd adopt a "no comment" policy for any question asked by these two imbeciles. How awesome would that be? For the rest of the year, any question asked by the Crap-ea fellow and the fat smug guy would be "no comment."

"What are your thoughts on the upcoming game, coach?" "No comment"

"Coach any news on Lawson?" "No comment"

And then answer every other question fully. He'll never do it, but it would rock.

This x 1000!!! I was going to make the same suggestion but you beat me to it. I can only imagine how deflated those two clowns would be.

Archived