So did you guys see Lambert's interview? Our beat writers kills him for it...

cole256

These "professional" writers are neither. They are hacks of the most pathetic kind. I will NEVER read another word they scribble. I urge true AU Men and Women to do the same. (Truth is there are enough whiners on this board that will enjoy the articles these morons write to at least prevent them from becoming homeless......) :dunno:

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just remember, this isn't Woodward and Bernstein we're talking about. These players need to quit running their mouths until their play on the field can back up what they say. :wareagle:

When these interviews are done, the players are in a spot and the beat writers gather around them.

I'd like to change that ... Have the beat writers scattered around the room in assigned seats and let the players pick out who they want to be interviewed by. When the al.com crew go home with zero copy for a few weeks, maybe someone will get the message.

Of course the program needs media coverage ... That is reality. Winning will make that happen from the national media. Which is where the money is anyways.

Crepea is on the Tom Abraham show at this moment in Hville. He sounds like a sarcastic, sleepy-eyed Sesame Street puppet character. He's coming across like a bored buffoon who got exiled in Alabama covering a college team he doesn't give a s**t about.

Just remember, this isn't Woodward and Bernstein we're talking about. These players need to quit running their mouths until their play on the field can back up what they say. :wareagle:/>

He did not run his mouth....and he made one heck of a 4th down play ending UK drive last game....as stated before his answers or statements will have zero impact on the game. His execution and will to dominate his opponent will determine the outcome..

So...if we're boycotting Al.com with it's combo clownish bias and occasionally readable reporting, where is it we go exactly for that weekly insightful reporting about AU (fair or otherwise)? In-state papers? ESPN? Here?

JMO but it's a matter of having the young players being questioned about team issues, or comments that end up on opponent bulletin boards, etc.....I mean, what is the benefit to AUburn ? Not saying we boycott them but limit the interviews to a couple coaches and if we want to do player interviews for the media, have the sports information department do them and send them out as press releases.

I just can't see the advantage to AU of allowing the beat writers to put young guys on the spot with the kind of questions those guy are going to ask.

This

Personally, I would find it very embarrassing if my job depending on blowing up such a trivial thing into a big controversy.

depressing actually

Personally, I would find it very embarrassing if my job depending on blowing up such a trivial thing into a big controversy.

depressing actually

Eh, it's part of their industry now

So...if we're boycotting Al.com with it's combo clownish bias and occasionally readable reporting, where is it we go exactly for that weekly insightful reporting about AU (fair or otherwise)? In-state papers? ESPN? Here?

JMO but it's a matter of having the young players being questioned about team issues, or comments that end up on opponent bulletin boards, etc.....I mean, what is the benefit to AUburn ? Not saying we boycott them but limit the interviews to a couple coaches and if we want to do player interviews for the media, have the sports information department do them and send them out as press releases.

I just can't see the advantage to AU of allowing the beat writers to put young guys on the spot with the kind of questions those guy are going to ask.

This

Yep this^^^

We live in a different age now as well. We have plenty of ways to get Auburn news out to the masses without having to depend on sites like al.com. Don't set the young guys up for a potential "gotcha" moment by these schnooks. The internet provides too many alternatives that the old fishwrappers didn't provide years ago. Screw those guys.

Again, not point fingers at Lambert but if you watch many of these kids during the recruitment process, they are absolutely eager to run their mouths about how great they are going to be and going to the "league", etc. I expect most of these hacks find eager candidates for the interviews and kids who tweet the most unbelievable stuff don't give much forethought about how their interviews sound or look.

To the point made above, .....the writers should have to allow the players to come to them, not be free to seek out guys like JJ who might be in a tough emotional spot...with the hope the player will make some "quotable" comment that attracts folks to their blog site.

Is there any conference requirement that our players must sit for these kinds of interviews?

As much as al.com pushes the UAT program I don't recall seeing many of these type interviews with their players OR coaches other than NS.

Maybe AU should reconsider its policy on availability of coaches and players for media interviews.....just don't expose the players to media hacks who typically have an agenda.

Saban doesn't allow his coaches to speak to the media. The players he allows to engage with the media have a set script of comments. Those players are brainwashed at uat, they are forced to learn the program's "media tips" before they are allowed to speak publically with the media.

Is this a good or bad coaching philosophy? IDK?

IMO there is no need to single out any beat writer for limited access.....just cut back across the board like our friends across the state do.....and don't put the players in front of the media except on special occasions like media days or such. It's not a difficult problem to solve in my view.

Yep! This is an easy fix.

Again, not point fingers at Lambert but if you watch many of these kids during the recruitment process, they are absolutely eager to run their mouths about how great they are going to be and going to the "league", etc. I expect most of these hacks find eager candidates for the interviews and kids who tweet the most unbelievable stuff don't give much forethought about how their interviews sound or look.

To the point made above, .....the writers should have to allow the players to come to them, not be free to seek out guys like JJ who might be in a tough emotional spot...with the hope the player will make some "quotable" comment that attracts folks to their blog site.

he sifts through and hyperbolizes a comment to make it quotable.

I might not have been an all-star in my football playing days but I know what the coaches are telling our guys on the practice field. And this applies to the comments that Rudy Ford and Devonte Lambert made. The coaches are telling them that as long as they play fast, physical, assignment football then the other team should be no challenge. That doesn't mean that our guys are always dissing their opposition necessarily. After all, you think the players at Bama aren't saying the same thing in their pressers? Or they aren't being taught the same concepts? The difference is our perception upon their execution.

Is there any conference requirement that our players must sit for these kinds of interviews?

As much as al.com pushes the UAT program I don't recall seeing many of these type interviews with their players OR coaches other than NS.

Maybe AU should reconsider its policy on availability of coaches and players for media interviews.....just don't expose the players to media hacks who typically have an agenda.

Saban doesn't allow his coaches to speak to the media. The players he allows to engage with the media have a set script of comments. Those players are brainwashed at uat, they are forced to learn the program's "media tips" before they are allowed to speak publically with the media.

Good job addressing the later part of my post before I finished typing it, lol

Haha.

Attention to detail on behalf of the Head Coach with regards to media and availability of the coaches and players with the media are paramount if you don't want the media blowing trivial s*** out of proportion.

The Head Coach has the power to shut down the exposure HIS players and coaches have with the media and any outsiders. And when the HC knows in advance that there are particular media members (Marcello/Crepea) with an agenda or a negative angle on AU, then he should grant zero access of his players to those media members.

Things like this are easily fixed if CGM chooses to address it.

Haha.

Attention to detail on behalf of the Head Coach with regards to media and availability of the coaches and players with the media are paramount if you don't want the media blowing trivial s*** out of proportion.

The Head Coach has the power to shut down the exposure HIS players and coaches have with the media and any outsiders. And when the HC knows in advance that there are particular media members (Marcello/Crepea) with an agenda or a negative angle on AU, then he should grant zero access of his players to those media members.

Things like this are easily fixed if CGM chooses to address it.

I'd invite everyone to grab their tinfoil hats for this one: What are the chances that the PTB might be pushing Gus to be as little like Saban as possible? Saban is a dictator who screens the press, Auburn is a Family who lets their players and people speak freely? :popcorn:

Honestly, I've enjoyed a lot of Marcello's stuff this season, especially the article about the cigar curse, but he struck a nerve this week. Crepea is very negative. Not that he has to be super positive, but he just seems to be a gloom fellow anyway. I like to watch their little videos on YouTube at night, but last night they freaked out over Lambert's comments and made me angry. I don't think the players are arrogant. They're trying to get some sort of confidence. Winning is winning, regardless of who the opponent is at this point.

If the beat reporters keep being so negative the defense should just keep going with "no comment" like Lawson did earlier this year. Then they won't have anything to write about. See how many clicks that gets them.

I suppose we shouldn't take these things so personally as the reporters are likely just after clicks, but it's still frustrating. The best thing to do is just watch the coordinators' and Malzahn's pressers each week. That's where half the stories come from anyway.

Auburn is stupid, we think al.blog is a friend. Nothing good comes from this updyke marketing firm that benefits Auburn. When will Auburn University learn?

Just remember, this isn't Woodward and Bernstein we're talking about. These players need to quit running their mouths until their play on the field can back up what they say. :wareagle:/>

"Running their mouth"? Seriously ? Did you read what he said? smh.......

Honestly, I've enjoyed a lot of Marcello's stuff this season, especially the article about the cigar curse, but he struck a nerve this week. Crepea is very negative. Not that he has to be super positive, but he just seems to be a gloom fellow anyway. I like to watch their little videos on YouTube at night, but last night they freaked out over Lambert's comments and made me angry. I don't think the players are arrogant. They're trying to get some sort of confidence. Winning is winning, regardless of who the opponent is at this point.

If the beat reporters keep being so negative the defense should just keep going with "no comment" like Lawson did earlier this year. Then they won't have anything to write about. See how many clicks that gets them.

I suppose we shouldn't take these things so personally as the reporters are likely just after clicks, but it's still frustrating. The best thing to do is just watch the coordinators' and Malzahn's pressers each week. That's where half the stories come from anyway.

i agree about marcello. i think he just kinda got influenced by creapa. i don't recall him being like this before. this whole thing is not really that big of a deal to me and i doubt gus even worries too much about it. it is more a reflection of the writer's immaturity or desperation.

Auburn is stupid, we think al.blog is a friend. Nothing good comes from this updyke marketing firm that benefits Auburn. When will Auburn University learn?

Would not be so blunt but certainly some AU folks are naive about beat writers and what their job entails.

As for Gus being that anti-Saban.....if anyone is pushing that approach with regards to media relations, he/she needs a lesson in reality.

Numerous coaches have cut down on twitter.....and it is just as easy, if not easier to limit media access too. Blaming the media guys for this kind of thing is like blaming a rattlesnake because he bit you when you reached down to pet it.....it's what snakes do...and you were stupid for now knowing that.

PS..it's not so much the Lambert thing...I'm still upset with the JJ interview.

Would not be so blunt but certainly some AU folks are naive about beat writers and what their job entails.

As for Gus being that anti-Saban.....if anyone is pushing that approach with regards to media relations, he/she needs a lesson in reality.

Numerous coaches have cut down on twitter.....and it is just as easy, if not easier to limit media access too. Blaming the media guys for this kind of thing is like blaming a rattlesnake because he bit you when you reached down to pet it.....it's what snakes do...and you were stupid for now knowing that.

PS..it's not so much the Lambert thing...I'm still upset with the JJ interview.

Its not a "media" thing. it is one (today two) media member who seems intent on being an ass. i am not one to whine about media, even ESPN in 2010. this guy has an agenda.

Archived