Muschamp so far

Richard78

The only defensive improvements I have noticed so far is that the defense seems to be creating more turnovers and they seem to make one big defensive stand when the game is on the line. And that is all about attitude and determination. This is a good thing.

But on the other hand......the game wouldn't be on the line if they had done their jobs earlier in the game. Other teams seem to get 6-7 yards on every play. When we finally get them into a 3rd and 22 situation (usually due to penalties), the next play has a WR all by his lonesome self 25-30 yards down the field. Frustrating!

We all know that Muschamp has it in him to get this defense better. He's already done it at Auburn once before and he will do it again. He just needs more time and a few more Jimmies and Joes instead of Jennys and Jeannes.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, when Will Muschamp was a DC, his defenses were only good because he coached under good defensive coaches; but when he was the HC at Florida, his defense were only good because he hired a good DC? Got it.

I never said he wasn't a good DC. You can twist it how you want.

I like Muschamp but he is overrated. He is a good DC and I think he will improve our defense. Is he over hyped and paid way too much? Yes. If I don't say he's God's gift to defense then I'm a bammer smh

I see improvement especially on the back end. The defense will continue to improve outside of the injury bug. Bank it.

First of all, if Will Muschamp were to fail at Auburn, I wouldn't put it on him. At all. That would be evidence enough for me that the problem is indeed Auburn, and not all of these good defensive coordinators who only fail here. (And it's not Gus's offense, either. Even when he does get the HUNH, that's not what makes guys miss tackles, lose receivers and fail to get push on the DL.) Muschamp is as much of a given as you're going to get in college football. If he doesn't get it done, then it's time for the fans to vote with their wallets, so to speak.

That said, all I'm looking for is improvement. I don't think it realistic to hope for a "good" defense this season. Muschamp could do the best single season's worth of coaching in history and still only get this defense up to "mediocre". No, what I'm looking for is for young guys to learn from their mistakes and get better as the season goes on- as others have pointed out, the upper classmen who already had 3-4 years of bad habits drilled into them pretty much are what they are at this point- and for the defense's overall performance as a unit to improve. Most of all, I want these guys playing in the 4th quarter as if they want and expect to win the game. I see those things happening. (It's what I see out of the team overall, and that's why this team is NOT like the 2012 team.)

And I agree with Muschamp that the stats don't tell the whole story. Everybody keeps bringing up all the 3rd-and-longs we surrendered to Kentucky, but that tells me that we were consistently getting Kentucky in 3rd-and-long situations. That's usually a result of 10 guys doing their job, not a bad game plan. That's improvement.

Instead of giving Muschamp a grade, I'll ask myself if I think Auburn has the best man for the job. And the answer is a resounding "yes".

Finally he should be judged on how much change we see in the overall defense at the end of the year. That is yet to be determined.

Agreed.

I don't see how you can make a definite statement like 'It's not Gus's offense.' The undeniable fact is Auburn's defense has been sub par at best since Auburn has ran Gus Malzhan's offense (And yes, I realize he was not here for the 2012 season). We've been through 3 different D-coordinators in this time frame (up until Muschamp) with all producing the same results. The one common denominator is Gus's offense. Perhaps the way practices are conducted is not conducive to fielding a hard nose and smash mouth defense? I'm not saying that's the case. But I've began to wonder..

Don't know why I bother, but

I never said he wasn't a good DC.

He wasn't that good at Texas unless hitting white boards makes the difference.

Ok, he wasn't as good at Texas compared to when he was at LSU/Auburn. That doesn't mean he's not good overall?? Y'all make him out to be great and he's not. What are you trying to argue? Gus Malzhan is a good OC but not during the Mosley/Trotter years.

And your right you shouldn't bother. Thumps up

First of all, if Will Muschamp were to fail at Auburn, I wouldn't put it on him. At all. That would be evidence enough for me that the problem is indeed Auburn, and not all of these good defensive coordinators who only fail here. (And it's not Gus's offense, either. Even when he does get the HUNH, that's not what makes guys miss tackles, lose receivers and fail to get push on the DL.) Muschamp is as much of a given as you're going to get in college football. If he doesn't get it done, then it's time for the fans to vote with their wallets, so to speak.

That said, all I'm looking for is improvement. I don't think it realistic to hope for a "good" defense this season. Muschamp could do the best single season's worth of coaching in history and still only get this defense up to "mediocre". No, what I'm looking for is for young guys to learn from their mistakes and get better as the season goes on- as others have pointed out, the upper classmen who already had 3-4 years of bad habits drilled into them pretty much are what they are at this point- and for the defense's overall performance as a unit to improve. Most of all, I want these guys playing in the 4th quarter as if they want and expect to win the game. I see those things happening. (It's what I see out of the team overall, and that's why this team is NOT like the 2012 team.)

And I agree with Muschamp that the stats don't tell the whole story. Everybody keeps bringing up all the 3rd-and-longs we surrendered to Kentucky, but that tells me that we were consistently getting Kentucky in 3rd-and-long situations. That's usually a result of 10 guys doing their job, not a bad game plan. That's improvement.

Instead of giving Muschamp a grade, I'll ask myself if I think Auburn has the best man for the job. And the answer is a resounding "yes".

Finally he should be judged on how much change we see in the overall defense at the end of the year. That is yet to be determined.

Agreed.

I don't see how you can make a definite statement like 'It's not Gus's offense.' The undeniable fact is Auburn's defense has been sub par at best since Auburn has ran Gus Malzhan's offense (And yes, I realize he was not here for the 2012 season). We've been through 3 different D-coordinators in this time frame (up until Muschamp) with all producing the same results. The one common denominator is Gus's offense. Perhaps the way practices are conducted is not conducive to fielding a hard nose and smash mouth defense? I'm not saying that's the case. But I've began to wonder..

The opinions on this thread keep getting more and more ridiculous by the hour.

which part is BS? I'm sure it's the part where I say WM isn't a bust...?? Perhaps maybe?

Nope, the part where you say he's overrated. Auburn's defense has been a dumpster fire outside of 2010 with Fairley and even then it was terrible against the pass unless Fairley was breathing down the QBs neck every play. To call him overrated because he hasn't managed to turn around a defense in six games that's been terrible for six years prior to this under 3 different respected DCs is total BS.

Y'all have to give him some time but he's not a bust but he's not the best in the world like he's made out to be. He looked good as a DC at Auburn and LSU under Saban and Tubbs. Who hasn't looked good as a DC under those two?? (While tubbs was in the SEC)

First of all, you don't get to write off his time at LSU and Auburn simply because he coached under Saban and Tubs. Lovett didn't light the world on fire under Tubs. Gibbs had some good games but we regressed under him.

Second, his defenses at Texas improved greatly from before he got there.

2007 (year before Muschamp)

Rushing Defense - 93.4 ypg (6th in NCAA)

Pass Defense - 277.8 ypg (109th)

Total Defense - 371 ypg (52nd)

Scoring Defense - 25.3 ppg (45th)

Rushing Defense - 83.5 ypg (3rd)

Pass Defense - 259.4 ypg (104th)

Total Defense - 342.9 (51st)

Scoring Defense - 18.8 (18th)

Rushing Defense - 72.4 ypg (1st)

Pass Defense - 179.7 ypg (19th)

Total Defense - 251.9 (3rd)

Scoring Defense - 16.7 ppg (12th)

Rushing Defense - 138.6 ypg (44th)

Pass Defense - 161.6 ypg (6th)

Total Defense - 300 ypg (6th)

Scoring Defense - 23.6 (49th)

**Of note: Texas lost a lot of guys in the front seven after their 2009 BCS title game run. But his 2010 numbers overall were still better than what it was before he got there.

Finally, you leave off how good his defenses at Florida were - and that was with a pathetic offense they were constantly having to overcompensate for.

This is why I call BS on stuff like this that you say. You just spout off things with no regard for facts or research.

To me our current defensive problems are a lot of little things right now and it is hard to point at the coaches in their first year on the job.

For example the Kent. game.

Early in the game, our LB had their RB caught in the backfield and he escapes and goes for 60 yards or so.

How many times were our DB's in position to make the plays and didn't?

One of the most experienced DB's that we have had how many penalties keeping drives alive?

Would any of those point at defensive play calling or schemes? No not to me. Ask me this again next year!

So, when Will Muschamp was a DC, his defenses were only good because he coached under good defensive coaches; but when he was the HC at Florida, his defense were only good because he hired a good DC? Got it.

I wonder what sevenlee36 thinks about the job that Rhett Lashlee did running our offense all by himself in 2013.

Agreed.

My point was that it's not playing opposite Gus's offense in a game that hinders our defense. Now, the way we've practiced since Tubs left almost certainly is the biggest factor in why our defense has been so awful, but I still can't imagine a scenario where the zone read confuses a linebacker into not knowing how to tackle, a cornerback into not being able to get off a WR's block or a safety into taking a bad angle. It's been said on this forum that Gus has been reluctant to let guys go full speed in practice, and that's certainly a problem, but that's not a feature of his offense.

Will has absolute carte blanche now

Are we sure about that?

Well, other than JJ meeting with him each week to help work out the game plan.

Otherwise, we've had 4 or 5 well recognized DCs in the past decade; guys who came with a record of success and yet.....and yet?

So what makes anyone so sure that CWM will do better? I'm open to see what happens but I'm also coming around the the possibility that the "Auburn Family" atmosphere is just ruining our defensive intensity.

AND.....I'm sure willing to give him more than 1/2 of a season to change the results. We argue to give HCs 4 or 5 years to prove themselves and we expect the DC to do it in a few months? Does that make any sense to anyone?

Carte blanche in the sense his HC is not a defensive mind, unlike chizik, tubberville and dye DC's. Until given different info, safe to assume he has carte blanche.

Carte blanche in the sense his HC is not a defensive mind, unlike chizik, tubberville and dye DC's. Until given different info, safe to assume he has carte blanche.

Well, that's the thing. As 64 points out above, CEJ had that same "carte blanche".

which part is BS? I'm sure it's the part where I say WM isn't a bust...?? Perhaps maybe?

Nope, the part where you say he's overrated. Auburn's defense has been a dumpster fire outside of 2010 with Fairley and even then it was terrible against the pass unless Fairley was breathing down the QBs neck every play. To call him overrated because he hasn't managed to turn around a defense in six games that's been terrible for six years prior to this under 3 different respected DCs is total BS.

Y'all have to give him some time but he's not a bust but he's not the best in the world like he's made out to be. He looked good as a DC at Auburn and LSU under Saban and Tubbs. Who hasn't looked good as a DC under those two?? (While tubbs was in the SEC)

First of all, you don't get to write off his time at LSU and Auburn simply because he coached under Saban and Tubs. Lovett didn't light the world on fire under Tubs. Gibbs had some good games but we regressed under him.

**Of note: Texas lost a lot of guys in the front seven after their 2009 BCS title game run. But his 2010 numbers overall were still better than what it was before he got there.

Finally, you leave off how good his defenses at Florida were - and that was with a pathetic offense they were constantly having to overcompensate for.

This is why I call BS on stuff like this that you say. You just spout off things with no regard for facts or research.

BS

BS

Case in point.

BS

Case in point.

Must of went over your head smh

Your first response to me is "BS" yet you don't back anything up with facts or research. Then you accuse me of the same thing?

Then I argue my case and I'm not going back through that. You can read it yourself. Sad part is, we basically agree with each other... I think he's a good DC... I think he will help us improve.. I just happen to think he's overhyped and overpaid.

That's also my opinion which I posted on an opinion board. So your arguing with someone with similar views. I just wanted to know what the factual researched " BS" meant. :)

Something I always do is watch the replay of each game so I can focus on the line of scrimmage and our movement away from the ball. I watched the Kentucky game 2 more times. Muschamp is doing a good job.

The defense is definitely improving, their rush on a passer with a quick release was actually pretty good on several occasions, Cass at the buck is making a big difference, Lambert/Cowart looked much better, Adams/Russell were often getting a good push. I saw more aggressiveness overall and a no quit attitude in the entire defense. If you take the time to look at the details, you see a noticeable improvement. It's a work in progress.

Just read your post after completing mine. Glad to see that I am not the only idiot that saw something "different" about our defense against Kentucky.

There was definitely something there that just didn't not fully connect last Thursday but I have micro analyzed Auburn football games for as long as DVR and youtube has been available. Our defense may have finally seen the light at the end of the tunnel and hopefully it shows this Saturday.

(bunch of silly sunshine pumpers)

These 2 guys get it.

IF Muschamp stays long enough, he will develop a very good defense at AU.

There was nothing to go over my head with. You say random, emotional, half-assed stuff that doesn't correlate to facts and reality half the time.

And it's "must have", not "must of." If you're going to imply some higher level of intelligence and understanding, don't talk like a dummy.

There was nothing to go over my head with. You say random, emotional, half-assed stuff that doesn't correlate to facts and reality half the time.

And it's "must have", not "must of." If you're going to imply some higher level of intelligence and understanding, don't talk like a dummy.

I'll just spoke at ur level.

Your an admin? Maybe you should act like it?

CWM was anticipating leaning on Lawson for the first couple of games to help the other get thru the "culture change". When Lawson went down CWM wasn't left with many options. He has only 1-1/2 SEC caliber D-Lineman on this AU team right know, not including the true freshman. And the LBers are not much better.

All in all I just don't think it's fair to put a grade on this. At least not this year. Lambert & Lawrence have been huge disappointments on the DL. McKenzie & Frost the same with the LBers.

I think those statements would be true on an average of the entire body of work for the first 6 games. But when you look at the last couple games and especially the Kentucky game, you can see a definite change in the trend.

Lambert looked to be past the "trusting his knee" point and looked more like last year. He had his best game against Kentucky and was a force in that game, making several nice plays. Cass had his best game at buck I thought. He was more disruptive, getting in the backfield and applying more pressure. After only 3 games at that position he is picking it up well and becoming much more of a force. No comment on the other 2.

The point is, there is definite improvement and things are getting better. If you watch a replay of Kentucky you can see it in some of the players you mentioned, along with several others.

Acting like an admin doesn't mean giving people a pass when they pull stuff out of their butt and try to pass it off as being a realist. Sorry if you were under that impression.

Acting like an admin doesn't mean giving people a pass when they pull stuff out of their butt and try to pass it off as being a realist. Sorry if you were under that impression.

BS

You act like you've said something to win a debate, you are arguing with someone with similar views. Smh

You can continue arguing with yourself, proceed.

BS

You act like you've said something to win a debate, you are arguing with someone with similar views. Smh

You can continue arguing with yourself, proceed.

You made statements about Muschamp. When people called you on them, you doubled down and made erroneous claims about his tenure as a DC and completely left out his defenses at Florida. I and others called you out on that and I gave stats to back up the Texas claims in particular. It wasn't really a debate because you brought nothing that could be called an actual argument or any facts to the table.

I'm done arguing. All I'm saying is, if you're going to make proclamations about something here, don't get butthurt when people shoot holes in it if it's not well thought out.

Archived