How long will it take for Auburn to be decent again?

Dual-Threat Rigby

Got a bad feeling about recruiting the next 2 years. If something doesn't change pretty quick we could be seeing the beginning of a serious downward spiral.

I don't know, it's gonna be hard for turning up this tecruiting class which already has became very cold with some huge decommitments. Gus is going to be coaching for his Auburn career from tomorrow to the end of next season.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depends on how well our defense recruiting is going. We need bodies and plenty of them on defense.

Yes, but they have to develop physically before they can "really" contribute. Gonna take a few years of good recruiting and coaching. No shortcuts available for a good long term defense.

Agree. I think that's the other major issue we have on the DL; development. Those players where recruited to other top tier schools. We simply have not developed them at all. I think that changes with new players thus why i put emphasis on the recruiting class. Because we can see evidence now of how Boom and T-Rob can develop kids with the young freshmen we have. I feel like our older players are just too set in their ways and been through way too many different coordinators.

I see no reason why we can not be very good next year. There are several on this board that noted this is Muschamp's first year, lots of freshmen but talented. I could be wrong but I do not think the sky is falling and going to crash down on us. There was good improvement on both sides of the ball today. The heart/fight was exciting to see. Sometimes there are moral victories.

Got a bad feeling about recruiting the next 2 years. If something doesn't change pretty quick we could be seeing the beginning of a serious downward spiral.

I don't know, it's gonna be hard for turning up this tecruiting class which already has became very cold with some huge decommitments. Gus is going to be coaching for his Auburn career from tomorrow to the end of next season.

Huge decommitments being...? Jamarcus King? Nate Craig? Cool... Huge...

Not that the recruiting has been effective to this point in time.

Seeing as how those are two positions that cost us the damn game today, yeah I'd say those are pretty huge. Acting delusional doesn't help you out here sir.

Seeing as how those are two positions that cost us the damn game today, yeah I'd say those are pretty huge. Acting delusional doesn't help you out here sir.

Seeing as Kyle Davis (number one WR) is potentially going to be ours, we are still in it with some solid CBs, it's FREAKING OCTOBER, yeah I'd say those aren't that big of a deal in the long run. Acting clueless hasn't helped you out here sir.

Depends on recruiting and us evaluating recruits well....also depends on if we have any players in this past recruiting class

My question would be, "will we ever see a great AU defense again"?. We knew what Arky was going to do and we still couldn't stop it. Just got manhandled at the point of attack. What is wrong with our D line? Why can't any of them shed a block and make a play? Is it lack of talent (with Lawson out) or is it coaching?

Carlton Davis is going to be special. Didn't see much else.

3-4 years after Gus and company are history. Here are some of the perennial powerhouses in college football that are better than Auburn: Marshall, Appalachian State, Bowling Green, Navy, Western Kentucky, Georgia Southern, and 13 SEC teams.

They don't have better recruiting classes.

Talent management has been something that has been concerning. Are the players in the best positions to suit their talent level? The only thing we have is numbers to go by. And they are bad

it will get better as soon as the coaching gets better. we have the players to be better than we are right now. not to diss WM and hope he turns t his thing around, but i was never a fan of that hire.

Not sure, but right now our coaches have to get their act together. We have to have physical practices and stop treating players with kid gloves.

Not sure, but right now our coaches have to get their act together. We have to have physical practices and stop treating players with kid gloves.

We switched to physical practices. Being physical doesn't teach you how to form tackle, or cover, or actually pick up those turnovers, or any of that. Being physical isn't a solution to everything y'all. Isn't the majority of the game mental?

Football is assignment anf effort. If you do your assignment good things will happen. If you are out of position, you must give effort to make up for the mistake. I see lack of assignment football on the defensive side. Dont know if its coaching or whether players are smart enough to remember what to do.

We switched to physical practices. Being physical doesn't teach you how to form tackle, or cover, or actually pick up those turnovers, or any of that. Being physical isn't a solution to everything y'all. Isn't the majority of the game mental?

I agree. Overly physical practices are a poor excuse for good coaching. Counter productive even.

Dline is getting whipped almost every play. Any QB will look like Montana if he has plenty of time. Our line isn't getting pressure. The best secondary is a great Dline.

Football games are won and lost at the LOS. We have little to no consistent push in the DL, and the OL is almost set up for failure by the predictability of our play calling, specifically 1st down. Did it work w Cam and Marshall? Yes, bc they had the ability to pull the ball and make a play. SW isn't that type of player. If our play calling adjust to his strengths he'll flourish imo. The DL is gonna take a long time to get better. It sucks, but there isn't a quick way to fix it. Recruit, weight room, coach and develop, repeat.

Impossible question to answer. It all depends on recruiting and behind the scenes development. If we score some top talent at WR, and are successfully preparing our young lines enough take over next year, we could contend. Give Sean another year and 3-4 reliable targets and our O will be dangerous again. We need more strong bodies on D. If on the job training is happening now, or we need more recruiting, remains to be seen. Obviously, Muschamp didn't agree at all with our previous recruiting stategies.

We're only a few plays from being 6-1 right now, with our only loss coming to a top 5 team.

We're also only a few plays away from being 1-6, with our only win coming to SJSU.

Which means five or six playes made by 17-23 year olds on national television is the difference between y'all thinking Gus is a saint or a mouth breather. You are focused wayyyy too much on the final score. Winning championships -- in the division, conference, or nation -- takes as much luck as it does talent and preparation. We should know this better than anyone after 2013.

The team is fighting hard. If a kid from Auburn had made one more play yesterday, or if a kid from Ark had made one less, y'all would be talking about how much you love this team this year. I swear this board is a case study on bipolar disorder.

Before this season is over, this will be a decent team. And next year? Well, the Tigers went from the outhouse to the penthouse in two short years (2008 to 2010), and from the outhouse to fighting over the keys to the penthouse in one (2012 to 2013.) Don't get down and don't panic. The offense is getting better and you have to believe that Muschamp will get the defense fixed....unless now there are people who want to start arguing that Will Muschamp has just been lucky all these years and really isn't a good defensive coordinator.

"Last year our defense was awful because of coaching and not because of lack of talent and now that we have Muschamp we will see a big improvement" I saw the above statement in many forms all over the internet in opinion articles and forums. I thought the same thing; until witnessing the debacle that we have seen so far this year. I mean how bad can the defense be this year?? They keep amazing me game after game. It is truly unreal that players like Frost are on the field for as many snaps as they are when they are not producing and are almost entirely responsible for big plays against Auburn time and time again. I loved how hard Lambert seemed to play last year never giving up on a play. This year I have watched him give up the edge time after time, fail to get pressure on the QB on pass downs, and bite on play fakes like he never knew they did that in football! If we are going to get that out of the older guys then why the heck are the freshman not playing instead to at least get some experience? I mean they literally could not do worse than what we have seen. I swear to you guys if you go back and watch these games and just focus on these two each play it will make you want to puke! The D-line might as well not exist. We would get the same result with a blocking sled out there instead 90% of the time! The blocking sled might do better against the run!! To answer the orig. question, ITS GOING TO BE A WHILE!

I have a question. This is not an implication of any type, just something I wonder about. Before coming here, Muschamp has been to places that all had good or great defenses when he got there. He has shown he can come into a good situation and either continue or improve upon previous success. Here's my question. Has he ever had to rebuild a defense? Some coaches thrive on rebuilding and less on maintaining while others can't rebuild well but are great at maintaining. Is it possible that we hired a great maintainer who isn't very good at rebuilding? Again, serious question and I'm not implying this is the case. Just wondering if others see it as a possibility. I know we won't know for a good 2 years from now and no I'm not expecting a miracle. Thoughts?

Archived