How long will it take for Auburn to be decent again?

Dual-Threat Rigby

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a question. This is not an implication of any type, just something I wonder about. Before coming here, Muschamp has been to places that all had good or great defenses when he got there. He has shown he can come into a good situation and either continue or improve upon previous success. Here's my question. Has he ever had to rebuild a defense? Some coaches thrive on rebuilding and less on maintaining while others can't rebuild well but are great at maintaining. Is it possible that we hired a great maintainer who isn't very good at rebuilding? Again, serious question and I'm not implying this is the case. Just wondering if others see it as a possibility. I know we won't know for a good 2 years from now and no I'm not expecting a miracle. Thoughts?

For asst. coaches I don't think it matters much whether your you're taking over something already established or essentially starting over. You just have to have the talent first. You have to be able to teach the players what you want done. I think CWM, once we get a little more talent and experience will have a very good defense.

Next year. Offense is fairly young, will keep clicking. QB play gon be pretty dadgum good. Barber will have year of experience, drop-prone receivers (Louis, Ray) will be gone, although they have been good at times for AU. O Line will experienced with each other. Will have 4 returning starters in Golson, Kozan, Smith, Coleman. Left should fit in nicely, has been good in time he has played this year.

Special teams will be good as usual; Carlson is freak of nature.

Defense will have year of Muschamp under belt/ will be rid of poor linebacker habits/play and have another year under freshmen belts. Carlton Davis will be All-SEC if he keeps up improvement. If Lawson says healthy next year, AU makes run at playoff.

On paper Auburn should have a much better team next year. I believe we lose only two starters off this year's offense-Ray and Louis. The offense should be very potent. On defense Lawson's return will help tremendously and hopefully Cowart will form a complementing bookend to Lawson. Their presence should improve the play of the interior lineman which in turn helps the second and third levels with their game.

one game

;D

Reminds me of Pat Dye's response to the question of how long will it take you to beat Alabama? 60 minutes

Yep...about this time Saturday night we could be "back".... :jossun:

So the consensus is that we should hope for 10 wins two years from now? So we're saying 2 years from now we should hope to be around 3rd in the west? If that's all we can hope for after last year and this year it's time to clean house IMO. We had better be setting our hopes a hell of a lot higher than 10 wins once every 4 years or we won't deserve to do any better than that.

I agree wholeheartedly. A house cleaning should start with Jay Jacobs. It's become obvious taht he does not know how to pick a coach, in any sport (though I'm not giving up on Bruce Perl after just one season). I wouldn't fire Malzahn ater this year, but I would let him know that a repeat of this year would mean his dismissal. He hs not done a good job of surrounding himself with competent assistants, but Muschamp was a step in the right direction. Now if he will get rid of Lashlee (wh never had any business being an OC at a school the level of Auburn) and several other coaches and replace them with competent people, then perhaps he can fix what's broken. But I wouldn't give him forever to do it.

The idea that perpetual 10 win seasons are good enough for Auburn is deplorable. I've been around a long time and have seen far too many people -- Auburn people -- act like we should accept being second best and having a grea season once every now and then. I HATE that attitude. I've even heard Auburn people tell me that if I wanted consistency I should 'pull for that other team'. What a pathetic attitude!

So the consensus is that we should hope for 10 wins two years from now? So we're saying 2 years from now we should hope to be around 3rd in the west? If that's all we can hope for after last year and this year it's time to clean house IMO. We had better be setting our hopes a hell of a lot higher than 10 wins once every 4 years or we won't deserve to do any better than that.

I agree wholeheartedly. A house cleaning should start with Jay Jacobs. It's become obvious taht he does not know how to pick a coach, in any sport (though I'm not giving up on Bruce Perl after just one season). I wouldn't fire Malzahn ater this year, but I would let him know that a repeat of this year would mean his dismissal. He hs not done a good job of surrounding himself with competent assistants, but Muschamp was a step in the right direction. Now if he will get rid of Lashlee (wh never had any business being an OC at a school the level of Auburn) and several other coaches and replace them with competent people, then perhaps he can fix what's broken. But I wouldn't give him forever to do it.

The idea that perpetual 10 win seasons are good enough for Auburn is deplorable. I've been around a long time and have seen far too many people -- Auburn people -- act like we should accept being second best and having a grea season once every now and then. I HATE that attitude. I've even heard Auburn people tell me that if I wanted consistency I should 'pull for that other team'. What a pathetic attitude!

We agree. I will say that I expect Gus to make atleast 1 of the 2 changes I hope for (and I have no expectation that Lashlee is leaving). The 2 changes are DL and WR coach. Change one of those 2 to somebody that gets the best out of their guys and we can be a really good team. I was not suggesting Gus and JJ be fired, I was however suggesting that if 2 years from now we are hoping for a 10 win season and not expecting it, then we'll have to look very seriously at a wholesale cleaning of house.

Define 'decent'.

not giving up almost 500 yards or 500 against every half decent offense you play

and not being 4-3

and not losing to 3-3 and 3-4 teams

A pretty general definition of DECENT I guess, would be not losing to Arkansas and Mississippi State, 6-1 is a lot better than decent mind you, but I feel that's decent

I guess I would expect us to be decent again next season, then.

Are you serious?

"Perpetual 10 win seasons" would guarantee we would get periodic shots at the playoff on the up years where we chalk up 12 or 13 wins.

Think what that sort of consistency would do for recruiting.

Auburn should hang their heads way down after losing to Miss. State and Arkansas. Decent is all we can hope for in 2016.

While I agree that we could/should have won both games, that sounds a little entitled coming from a fan of a program that is inconsistent as we are. We were lucky to beat JSU.

Are you serious?

"Perpetual 10 win seasons" would guarantee we would get periodic shots at the playoff on the up years where we chalk up 12 or 13 wins.

Think what that sort of consistency would do for recruiting.

I think he means "occasional."

I'm not sure what people are hoping for if we get rid of the current staff. Every head coach in the SEC West makes $4 million a year. To hire a different $4 million coach would still make us average IN OUR DIVISION! At least we have a coach who has been there before. Chip Kelly won't come to Auburn and he's never even been on a national title winning staff. Sure let's keep cleaning house every 4 years for the next few decades. Meanwhile, Art Briles starts his career at Baylor going 8-16 and now the Longhorns only wish they could hang with Baylor.

I'm not sure what people are hoping for if we get rid of the current staff. Every head coach in the SEC West makes $4 million a year. To hire a different $4 million coach would still make us average IN OUR DIVISION! At least we have a coach who has been there before. Chip Kelly won't come to Auburn and he's never even been on a national title winning staff. Sure let's keep cleaning house every 4 years for the next few decades. Meanwhile, Art Briles starts his career at Baylor going 8-16 and now the Longhorns only wish they could hang with Baylor.

Actually $4 million is below average as Sumlin and Saban make more than that.

We have recruited too many athletes and not enough position players. A LB that is a tick or 2 slower is better than the athlete with the paper measurable that doesn't know the position because it takes too much game time experience to learn it. If we were a top 10 team and played Ohio States cupcake schedule you would have time to coach-up these athletes while still winning. In the SEC West it is a different situation. We have a least 2 of these on offense and 2 on defense. 2 steps out of position and you are grabbing at the running back instead of meeting him in the whole. How many times this season have we seen a RB or QB for the opposition break an arm tackle in the backfield and make a positive play? Many. Usually 4 or more per game. This is lack of coaching technique and lack of full contact practice in spring ball. We won't be significantly better until we upgrade the position coaches, especially at DL.

Not sure you understand the meaning of average

However, though your reasoning is incomplete, the lowest paid SEC West coach makes 4 mil

However, though your reasoning is incomplete, the lowest paid SEC West coach makes 4 mil

Incomplete reasoning? Explain

Your reason for 4 mil being below average was that 2 coaches made more than that. The reality is that 4 mil is actually the lowest. 5 of 7 actually make more than 4, not just 2.

Decent? Next year. Very good or better? 2017.

That's probably about right, depending on what 'decent' means. If it's 8 or more wins, I agree.

My guess: Decent by the UGA game

Good team next year

2017 Watch Out!!!

We have recruited too many athletes and not enough position players. A LB that is a tick or 2 slower is better than the athlete with the paper measurable that doesn't know the position because it takes too much game time experience to learn it. If we were a top 10 team and played Ohio States cupcake schedule you would have time to coach-up these athletes while still winning. In the SEC West it is a different situation. We have a least 2 of these on offense and 2 on defense. 2 steps out of position and you are grabbing at the running back instead of meeting him in the whole. How many times this season have we seen a RB or QB for the opposition break an arm tackle in the backfield and make a positive play? Many. Usually 4 or more per game. This is lack of coaching technique and lack of full contact practice in spring ball. We won't be significantly better until we upgrade the position coaches, especially at DL.

That's an interesting proposition I've never thought about. Makes a lot of sense, especially for a position like linebacker but it would be difficult to prove.

Your reason for 4 mil being below average was that 2 coaches made more than that. The reality is that 4 mil is actually the lowest. 5 of 7 actually make more than 4, not just 2.

So what's your point? Just here to argue semantics?

Archived