Malzahn's Postgame Presser - Arkansas

RunInRed

"Our kids fought, and I think everybody saw that," Malzahn said.
"I'm proud of our guys. They showed a lot of heart and a lot of character, especially to get us to overtime," Malzahn said. "They fought hard and did some good things."
Malzahn said his players were disappointed. "And they should be. It's a tough loss.

"We had our chances, but we just didn't seize the moment sometimes. But we did some good things.
You can tell we're getting better than we were at the first of the year. We've just got to keep improving."
"It took us awhile to get going offensively," Malzahn said. "I think we had some drops early, we didn't have a lot of first downs, a lot of yards. But our guys responded right before halftime. I thought that put us in the game, then the drive coming out of halftime. I thought it was a good game from then on."

Auburn, now 4-3 overall and 1-3 in the Southeastern Conference, will play on, starting at 11 a.m. next Saturday against Ole Miss in Jordan-Hare Stadium.

"We'll respond well," Malzahn said. "We'll come back, practice hard and get ready for the next game."

http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/102415aac.html

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's 1st down, you're a opposing defensive coordinator. What play are you looking for?

Hmmm. What could this be in reference to??? I was at the game today and Arky fans were calling out our plays (especially 1st down to PB).

Since the theme of the loss is "we fought hard" my question just out of curiosity is? Should we have not fought hard? Gus, I love ya and all, but you just lost to Arkansas!

Listening to the post game interviews on the AU network, Gus says we fought hard. Rodney Gardner says: The D line fought hard. D Craig say to his receivers (because it was a tough game for them): I love you!

Really coaches? So it is now OK to lose to Arkansas and be the worst team in the SEC West, really? As long as we "fight hard" of course.

Atleast he already said up front this week that we will have a good week of practice! Thank god for that!! I was really worried about freaking practice. So glad he cleared up that situation. And coach Craig, nice guy and all...but if you're seriously planning on fixing this situation with a shoulder to cry on, you need to be gone asap. Damn I hate that this staff has made me so cynical about these garbage pressers.

He should have got out there and really let the team have it. Called them all a bunch of slackers, tell them they've got no heart, drive, or skills. Rail on them for not having the drive or work ethic to succeed. Rant about the lack of ability that the players or coaches have, and even suggest they should all be fired. Whatever.....

The dissection of every press release is even more frustrating than the press conferences themselves. He's saying exactly what he should say. What do you think he should be saying?

I hate where this team's at as much as anyone but has anyone other than me considered the impact that the plethora of injuries has had on the starting lineups on both sides of the ball? It's forced a lot of younger inexperienced players into action and certainly has helped with any continuity.

Malzahns pissed. I'm optimistic though that we are grooming a special QB early on in his career and clearly we need a bruising running back rather than the stable of scat backs we have and can't seem to settle upon any one particular starter. Gus' offense has taken many different transformations over the years at various schools - will he be able to cater to this team next year in a unique transforming fashion is the question. I believe so. If we had a few catches instead of dropped balls how different it'd be but then again - we know all about that now don't we?!

Yes. Coach Malzahn is smarter than this. He knows we can't be that predictable. So why?

Defies logic. Check your premise.

It's not like he hasn't been this predictable before. The difference is he always had a serious run threat at qb.

Yes. Coach Malzahn is smarter than this. He knows we can't be that predictable. So why?

Defies logic. Check your premise.

It's not like he hasn't been this predictable before. The difference is he always had a serious run threat at qb.

Well I think you're right, but.. he planned for Jeremy Johnson all off season now we have Chris Todd - i mean - Sean White. okay, no problem with that but the offense is going to have to be altered because he's not a run threat. Sean's the guy but I think Gus and Rhett just decided it was best to keep the Wing T premise / "gifted handoff" and just keep pounding it and change things drastically next year. I hope.

Once we lost to MSU I was looking for next year and beyond. All I want to see from now on is fight and improvement. It may not win a lot of games, but it will prepare this team for the future. Enjoy the rest of the season, folks. I've seen all the negative BS I can take from the Auburn fan base and I'm outta here. I've dealt with real life and death and this isn't even close.

War Eagle! Enjoy the day.......

Since the theme of the loss is "we fought hard" my question just out of curiosity is? Should we have not fought hard? Gus, I love ya and all, but you just lost to Arkansas!

Listening to the post game interviews on the AU network, Gus says we fought hard. Rodney Gardner says: The D line fought hard. D Craig say to his receivers (because it was a tough game for them): I love you!

Really coaches? So it is now OK to lose to Arkansas and be the worst team in the SEC West, really? As long as we "fight hard" of course.

I have this same feeling. If a football team doesn't fight hard, they're not a respectable football team. Shoot, no good national championship winning team has ever not "fought hard" in a game. I love Auburn and out many traditions, but there's a point at which you've gotta get past this "we never gave up" mentality, and get to the mentality of "our receivers dropped 9 passes today, so we have decided to send our equipment managers out on campus to fire footballs at them at any point during the day when they least expect it. If they drop one, they will run sprints at practice that day.

Or for the defense: "our defense failed to tackle and step up when their offense needed them to. So this week in practice, every time an offensive player makes a mistake, our entire defense will receive an assigned lap around the practice field. These will be run at the end of practice every day, so as to metaphorically give them a sense of the other side of the ball letting them down. We will not let each other down on this football team. Ever"

Where's that? Where's that fire? You are allowed to discipline and yell at your players for messing up something and still be able to love them at the same time. Players don't seem to FEAR coaches! No one riding Ricardo Louis about dropped passes today. Instead it was encouragement. That's great that we still trust him, I still did too, but put it in his mind that every time he drops one, he's gonna get an earful about being a D1 athlete and dropping a catchable ball. Put the fear of God in him to drop a pass. That if he drops this ball, he's going to have his butt lit on fire by our coaches. Bull crap that that makes a player nervous and actually causes him to perform even worse; that's pure motivation for athletes. We don't have that attitude. That "I'm gonna go up and take this pass away from you, defender." That "I know you're right there in front of the first down but I'm gonna run your a** over and get the first and there's not a dern thing you can do to stop me."

That "hey quarterback I hope you like how that dirt tastes cuz I'm about to hand you a giant plate of that with a little grass on the side."

The mentality from our players almost seems to be: "oh I hope we get this first down, we're gonna try really hard and never give up....... "To h*ll with that!!! Lineup and hit someone, and tell them "I'm getting this first down, you can either get out of the way or be in the way, and believe me, you don't wanna be in my way."

Where's the attitude? Where's the mean streak? Where's the tough love from coaches? It's time to get that back. Time to line up on fourth and 1 and get the first down, not punt.

Time to line up on defense on fourth down with game on the line and make a stop if it's the last thing we do. No one gets 3 yards on us on fourth down. Ever. No one. Teams don't convert fourth down much, why not run your guys in practice for every fourth down the other team converts during the game? Guarantee you that would get your D a little more focused on getting off the field.

Where is this attitude? Did this fly out the window when society had to become "politically correct?" AU needs a mean streak for the rest of the season. Play balls out, no holding back, tough, confident football. We'll be a 9 win team if we do that.

Can't remember the last time Auburn had that killer, finish them off, go for the jugular, blowem out attitude. That comes from the coaches and therein lies our trouble.

Malzahn said, "I think we had some drops early." :glare:

And late as well. Not only dropped passes, but dropped interceptions.

How often do we need to hear how great the team practices? Auburn is, by CGM's account, the champion of practice.

And how many times do we need to hear "we're getting better"? None. We don't need to hear that. We need to SEE it with results on the scoreboard. Until we see it on the scoreboard, it ain't happening.

Archived