Fall Softball results Valdosta State

Auburn played two games today vs. Valdosta State. They got the sweep with two strong shutouts. 8-0 and 16-0. Auburn is 6-0 in fall games with two more remaining next friday. Auburn has outscored their opponents 75-1 over 6 games. This team is scary good and its going to be exciting watching them again in the spring.

[quote[

AUBURN, Ala. – On a night capped off by a ring ceremony for the 2015 SEC Champions, Auburn softball swept the doubleheader from NCAA Division II powerhouse Valdosta State, winning 8-0 and 16-0. Junior Kasey Cooper and senior Tiffany Howard led the way offensively for the Tigers. Cooper finished the day 4-for-5 with four RBI’s. Howard also picked up four hits and scored four times.

In a game dominated by offense, the pitching really shined against a tough Valdosta State lineup. Kaylee Carlson got the start in game one, pitching four innings while only giving up one hit and striking out a batter. Lexi Davis came on to pitch in the fifth inning and lasted two innings with three strikeouts. Rachael Walters finished off game one with two strikeouts in one inning pitched.

Auburn got the offense going early with two runs in the first inning. Tiffany Howard led off the inning with a triple and scored on an RBI sacrifice-fly by Emily Carosone. After a two out double to right by Jenna Abbott, Carlee Wallace picked up an RBI double to make the score 2-0.

Kasey Cooper picked up two RBI’s on a double in the fifth inning driving in Howard and Carosone. Abbott drove in Cooper from second with a single up the middle to make the score 6-0 in the fifth. Auburn scored it’s final runs in the sixth inning when pinch-hitter Whitney Jordan and Casey McCrackin scored on a single up the middle from Morgan Podany.

The second game started the same as the first with Auburn scoring six runs in the first two innings. Cooper got the scoring started with an RBI double in the first, scoring Howard from second. In a five run fifth inning, six straight batters reached base safely for Auburn. Howard and Podany led the way, both driving in two runs. Abbott hit a three-run homerun in a seven run fourth inning to make the score 14-0.

Marcy Harper picked up the win for Auburn, pitching four innings and not giving up a run. Makayla Martin completed the shutout in game two, pitching three innings of relief while striking out three.

Auburn softball will return for their last action of the fall as the host Northwest Florida State and Columbus State next weekend Oct. 30.

For more information on Auburn softball, visit AuburnTigers.com, follow the team on Twitter @Auburn_Softball or follow them on Facebook at Facebook.com/AuburnSoftball.

2015 Auburn Fall Softball Schedule

Sunday, Oct. 11 – vs. North Georgia – W, 9-0/W, 15-1

Saturday, Oct. 17 – vs. Chipola College – W, 14-0/W, 13-0

Saturday, Oct. 24 – vs. Valdosta State – W, 8-0/W, 16-0

Friday, Oct. 30 – vs. Northwest Florida State – 4:45 p.m

vs. Columbus State – 7 p.m.

A few comments from a non-expert fan. We have the return of our pitching nucleus with Rachael Walters, Lexi Davis and Marcy Harper. The North Carolina transfer, Kaylee Carlson, looks good and has a killer change up. Makayla Martin from California can really "wing it". When AU was on the field during the last inning Martin was pitching and the entire infield was composed of 1st year players. I told my wife that 2 years from now that could be the starting line up. Jade Rhodes has apparently had some shoulder surgery and is sitting out fall ball so far. Appears Haley Fagan and I think Kelsey Bogards have had knee surgery and are on crutches. I was impressed at how calm the freshmen were when they were inserted in the game. Bree Fornis, the freshman from Tuscaloosa seems to be getting a lot of playing time in left field. With what appears more pitching depth this should be another good team this year. Carlee Wallace threw out a runner trying to steal second....she is really quick and I must admit, one of my favorites to watch. Courtney Shea does a terrific job behind the plate also. Wish I lived closer so my wife and I could attend more games.

Thanks for the report Slot....should be a good team this season though the surprise factor is over for AU now....everyone will have us marked on their calendar as a target game and we will get their best effort.

If Fagan had any kind of surgery or any injury at all, it occurred during the last week, because she played in both games of the double header last weekend vs. Chipola. There are no box scores for the fall games, so I don't know if she played yesterday or not. There was no mention of her in the wrap up article though.

correct War Tiger, she played last week. She did not play in Valdosta games. My wife (who is more likely to be correct than her husband) recalls that she took a fall last week during an infield play and coach later came over to check on her. That may have been the injury or she may have been injured in practice last week. I spoke to Coach through the fence between games yesterday to ask about Rhodes and got the impression they were going to go slow with her and she did not have anything to prove as far as being the anchor at 1st base. she looks to be totally healthy in terms of no sling or support. I do not know the specifics regarding her shoulder surgery and of course any medical info is a private matter to those directly involved.

Archived