What will the effect of this season be on recruiting?

bikeriderga

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would think an elite DL recruit would take one look at our pass rush, or lack thereof, and know he has the opportunity to step right in and start. Most top recruits want two things, to play right away and to get to the NFL. It's pretty obvious they will have the opportunity to play right away and Boom has a very good history of getting them to the league. Of course, Saban has the best record of getting them to the league but one look at their roster and playing right away is doubtful.

I would think an elite DL recruit would take one look at our pass rush, or lack thereof, and know he has the opportunity to step right in and start. Most top recruits want two things, to play right away and to get to the NFL. It's pretty obvious they will have the opportunity to play right away and Boom has a very good history of getting them to the league. Of course, Saban has the best record of getting them to the league but one look at their roster and playing right away is doubtful.

thats he issue. Yes they could start for us next yr, but we have a top 2 Dlineman recruit that is sucking as a junior. Therefore the other school coaches are able to say we do not develop our players. Right now there is nothing that disputes that claim.

Guess it depends on the attitude of the recruit....does he want to go somewhere that allows him to make an impact...of just ride the success of other players who have already done the hard work ? Just from my observation there are only a handful of teams that are really good every year and yet the better players get pretty well scattered across the country. There are generally plenty to go around and one year does not usually define the quality of a program....either way.

My only concern is that I don't know that Gus is very good recruiter....we seem to be relying on the position coaches to do the work and secure the commitments ....and of course they also get the blame when a good prospect gets away. I find that troubling.

That's been pretty much the way recruiting is done since forever. The head coach is only allowed one in-home visit per recruit so it's pretty much up to the assistants to do the heavy lifting. That's at all schools, Auburn is in the same boat as everybody else. It seems like Gus is at one or more high school games every Friday night so I don't think he's sitting recruiting out.

I know he is out there talking to people......I'm just wondering if he can "seal the deal"... The Gus we see in press conferences just does not do much to inspire me....wonder how the recruits take to his approach?

Meanwhile isn't Thompson supposed to be a recruiting dynamo? is he doing anything to help our defensive recruiting? Never hear his name?

Guess it depends on the attitude of the recruit....does he want to go somewhere that allows him to make an impact...of just ride the success of other players who have already done the hard work ? Just from my observation there are only a handful of teams that are really good every year and yet the better players get pretty well scattered across the country. There are generally plenty to go around and one year does not usually define the quality of a program....either way.

My only concern is that I don't know that Gus is very good recruiter....we seem to be relying on the position coaches to do the work and secure the commitments ....and of course they also get the blame when a good prospect gets away. I find that troubling.

That's been pretty much the way recruiting is done since forever. The head coach is only allowed one in-home visit per recruit so it's pretty much up to the assistants to do the heavy lifting. That's at all schools, Auburn is in the same boat as everybody else. It seems like Gus is at one or more high school games every Friday night so I don't think he's sitting recruiting out.

I know he is out there talking to people......I'm just wondering if he can "seal the deal"... The Gus we see in press conferences just does not do much to inspire me....wonder how the recruits take to his approach?

Meanwhile isn't Thompson supposed to be a recruiting dynamo? is he doing anything to help our defensive recruiting? Never hear his name?

Thanks for the video....kind of reminds me of back in my youth....people getting a blind date for me...."she's a great gal, everyone loves her, has a great personality, etc"........all that sounds good. And this video sounds like a bunch of guys who will play somewhere else and always consider Gus to be a friend. Not sure that's what recruiting is about however.

Here is my take on all this, and take it for what it's worth. These are my opinions and not facts or anything of that nature.

I know a lot of you don't like the comparison to anything with that program across the state, but it's inevitable. If you want to slam me, go ahead--I'm a big boy and can take it. After watching the heartbreaking loss yesterday, I turned over to watch the Turds and TN go at it, hoping upon hope that the Vols would pull the upset. I watched as this true freshman--Calvin Ridley--seemingly caught everything thrown his way, even having to leap to make catches. That coming after watching a senior---A SENIOR---drop balls that were basically handed to him by the QB. I watched as their Tight End--whom so many on here were just waiting for him to flip his commitment to AU from the Turds a few years ago--make catches and helping keep drives alive. Does AU even have a Tight End on it's roster? If I were a hot-shot high school Tight End recruit, the last place I would want to consider would be Auburn. We all watch game after game when AU has starts an offensive series, it's RB on a dive play. EVERY GAME, EVERY OFFENSIVE SERIES. So, AU usually starts 2nd and 9, or 10, maybe even 11 or worse. That puts the offense in a hole. Every opponent knows what AU is going to run on the first offensive play of it's offensive series.

We all watched a senior Linebacker get juked by a slow, white-boy pocket passer on crucial 3rd down play that was converted to first and 10. What the HELL? I am sure Kris Frost is a good person, but why is he in the game at all? Yes, he made that one interception, but he also cost AU a lot of ground by Arkansas by either whiffing on tackles or being out of position to make a tackle. Arkansas is not the only team he's been a negative factor on for AU. Practically every game, he's missed some tackles that could have helped the defense. Are the back-up Linebackers so much worse than that? There are posters on the different threads who are down on Muschamp, but for God's sake---look at what he's having to deal with?

Could this reflect on recruiting? Possibly, and most likely it will, maybe not on the recruits who are now committed, but those who may have had AU on their short-lists may be having 2nd thoughts. We all want to talk about Nick Saban being an a-hole, and he most likely is. I bet even most of his players think he's an a-hole. But, you know what---those guys put out for him. This brings up the point that has been posed by posters in other threads---is Gus too soft on these players? Recruits, whether realistically or not, have dreams of going to the NFL, even if it's for a year, maybe 2. They see that possibility at that other school across the state more than they see it at AU. I think we all thought when Chizik was fired and Gus came on, it would change. It doesn't appear that it has. Gus has been head coach for 3 years now, and how many AU players are being hyped for the NFL right now? Hell, I bet pro teams are already licking their chops to get ahold of Calvin Ridley and Minkah Fitzpatrick, and they're only freshmen. We have to deal with them at least 2 more years after this year. Remember last year's Iron Bowl when Roc Thomas failed to cover that lateral and Bama recovered? We never saw Roc the rest of the game. Why is it that when the AU senior receiver drops, what---5 easy catches--yet he's still in the game? Is the AU receiving corps that bad? Is it time to move these seniors out of the way and let the Freshmen and Sophomores start getting significant playing time and be ready for 2016?

Well, that's it. Go ahead and slam away at me. Like I stated earlier, I'm a big boy and can handle it. BTW, I am an AU sidewalk fan (yes, AU has sidewalk fans and a lot of them). I am not privy to any inside information or whatever. These are just my thoughts, and some are based on posts I've read in other threads.

Anybody with any sense recognizes Saban has set the standard nation wide. How else do you think he has achieved the prolonged success he has experienced? Notwithstanding the success, Saban is still willing to fine tune his game. Just from my own collection, he has shared notes with Tom Herman, Kiffin, and Peyton Manning, all in exchange for info on the no huddle/ spread offenses. That is something that we desperately need Malzahn to do. Put the pride aside.

And yes, Saban is an a hole. But the players know that he will put them in the league. He doesn't have to put up with prima donna players because there are players just as good sitting on the bench. I used to think that once we get a depth chart, that then Gus could toughen up the players a bit. But now I don't even know if we will get there with all the jucos we sign every year, and with the lack of development that equates to no depth at all.

The perception of AU is that we can't maintain a solid program, can't consistantly win at an elite level, can't pump players into the NLF like many of our conference foe, can't properly develop young talent into top SEC caliber players. And that perception is not unjustified when you look back over the past decade.

Those issues addition to the amount of attrition and coaching carousel we've experienced would honestly make any parent or HS player be a little apprehensive about signing with AU.

Thanks for the video....kind of reminds me of back in my youth....people getting a blind date for me...."she's a great gal, everyone loves her, has a great personality, etc"........all that sounds good. And this video sounds like a bunch of guys who will play somewhere else and always consider Gus to be a friend. Not sure that's what recruiting is about however.

Every program recruits differently. LSU/Miles are very successful - Les is an easy going, comedic type of guy that everyone loves. UAT/Saban are very successful - NS is strictly buisness, no-nonsense type that isn't very warm and engaging. Maybe Gus is more like Les? Maybe AU will haul in classes like LSU?

Every program recruits differently. LSU/Miles are very successful - Les is an easy going, comedic type of guy that everyone loves. UAT/Saban are very successful - NS is strictly buisness, no-nonsense type that isn't very warm and engaging. Maybe Gus is more like Les? Maybe AU will haul in classes like LSU?

You have some thoughts on when that might start?

Here is my take on all this, and take it for what it's worth. These are my opinions and not facts or anything of that nature.

I know a lot of you don't like the comparison to anything with that program across the state, but it's inevitable. If you want to slam me, go ahead--I'm a big boy and can take it. After watching the heartbreaking loss yesterday, I turned over to watch the Turds and TN go at it, hoping upon hope that the Vols would pull the upset. I watched as this true freshman--Calvin Ridley--seemingly caught everything thrown his way, even having to leap to make catches. That coming after watching a senior---A SENIOR---drop balls that were basically handed to him by the QB. I watched as their Tight End--whom so many on here were just waiting for him to flip his commitment to AU from the Turds a few years ago--make catches and helping keep drives alive. Does AU even have a Tight End on it's roster? If I were a hot-shot high school Tight End recruit, the last place I would want to consider would be Auburn. We all watch game after game when AU has starts an offensive series, it's RB on a dive play. EVERY GAME, EVERY OFFENSIVE SERIES. So, AU usually starts 2nd and 9, or 10, maybe even 11 or worse. That puts the offense in a hole. Every opponent knows what AU is going to run on the first offensive play of it's offensive series.

We all watched a senior Linebacker get juked by a slow, white-boy pocket passer on crucial 3rd down play that was converted to first and 10. What the HELL? I am sure Kris Frost is a good person, but why is he in the game at all? Yes, he made that one interception, but he also cost AU a lot of ground by Arkansas by either whiffing on tackles or being out of position to make a tackle. Arkansas is not the only team he's been a negative factor on for AU. Practically every game, he's missed some tackles that could have helped the defense. Are the back-up Linebackers so much worse than that? There are posters on the different threads who are down on Muschamp, but for God's sake---look at what he's having to deal with?

Could this reflect on recruiting? Possibly, and most likely it will, maybe not on the recruits who are now committed, but those who may have had AU on their short-lists may be having 2nd thoughts. We all want to talk about Nick Saban being an a-hole, and he most likely is. I bet even most of his players think he's an a-hole. But, you know what---those guys put out for him. This brings up the point that has been posed by posters in other threads---is Gus too soft on these players? Recruits, whether realistically or not, have dreams of going to the NFL, even if it's for a year, maybe 2. They see that possibility at that other school across the state more than they see it at AU. I think we all thought when Chizik was fired and Gus came on, it would change. It doesn't appear that it has. Gus has been head coach for 3 years now, and how many AU players are being hyped for the NFL right now? Hell, I bet pro teams are already licking their chops to get ahold of Calvin Ridley and Minkah Fitzpatrick, and they're only freshmen. We have to deal with them at least 2 more years after this year. Remember last year's Iron Bowl when Roc Thomas failed to cover that lateral and Bama recovered? We never saw Roc the rest of the game. Why is it that when the AU senior receiver drops, what---5 easy catches--yet he's still in the game? Is the AU receiving corps that bad? Is it time to move these seniors out of the way and let the Freshmen and Sophomores start getting significant playing time and be ready for 2016?

Well, that's it. Go ahead and slam away at me. Like I stated earlier, I'm a big boy and can handle it. BTW, I am an AU sidewalk fan (yes, AU has sidewalk fans and a lot of them). I am not privy to any inside information or whatever. These are just my thoughts, and some are based on posts I've read in other threads.

Anybody with any sense recognizes Saban has set the standard nation wide. How else do you think he has achieved the prolonged success he has experienced? Notwithstanding the success, Saban is still willing to fine tune his game. Just from my own collection, he has shared notes with Tom Herman, Kiffin, and Peyton Manning, all in exchange for info on the no huddle/ spread offenses. That is something that we desperately need Malzahn to do. Put the pride aside.

And yes, Saban is an a hole. But the players know that he will put them in the league. He doesn't have to put up with prima donna players because there are players just as good sitting on the bench. I used to think that once we get a depth chart, that then Gus could toughen up the players a bit. But now I don't even know if we will get there with all the jucos we sign every year, and with the lack of development that equates to no depth at all.

The perception of AU is that we can't maintain a solid program, can't consistantly win at an elite level, can't pump players into the NLF like many of our conference foe, can't properly develop young talent into top SEC caliber players. And that perception is not unjustified when you look back over the past decade.

Those issues addition to the amount of attrition and coaching carousel we've experienced would honestly make any parent or HS player be a little apprehensive about signing with AU.

Maybe the claim that we can't win consistently at an elite level is justifiable. We have been waiting for back to back ten win seasons but we never get them. We are not even getting 9 consistently and even Nebraska became tired of the 9 win seasons. So I have to wonder about how solid our program is right now.

Come to Auburn and play right now.

Every horrible team in the nation like Vandy can say the exact same thing. That pitch by itself doesn't work like you think it does.

And the recruits response....."Great, But will you develop me into an NFL player in 3 years so I can start making millions of $$ to take care of my family? bama and LSU told me they would and I see it is true every year when I watch the NFL draft".

Every horrible team in the nation like Vandy can say the exact same thing. That pitch by itself doesn't work like you think it does.

That's very true, it doesn't work by itself. But when you have won 2 SEC Championships and been to the NCG twice in 5 years with a .500 record, it does take on more meaning.

And the recruits response....."Great, But will you develop me into an NFL player in 3 years so I can start making millions of $$ to take care of my family? bama and LSU told me they would and I see it is true every year when I watch the NFL draft".

That's a good point....the "Auburn Family' is a good tie-breaker in a recruiting battle but I just can't imagine that it is the main reason that a kid might choose AU over UGA or LSU or Bama or UF who are our usual competition There's gotta be something better than that. Just askin....what is the main pitch we are making with these guys?

Maybe the "family atmosphere" is too casual whereas the Bama and LSU type schools get players who are there for "business decisions" as they call it and yes, to these players this is a business decision. Their bodies are their business and how they will make their future earnings if all goes as planned. The caring about the school thing is so overrated these guys want to get to the NFL.

I have never questioned this before just being devil's advocate to an extent.

Was it Kyle Davis the WR recruit who said he noticed a difference in how hard the AU and Bama programs work? He didn't mention which worked harder but it's hard to imagine with how the NFL deems a lot of Bama's players as maxed out in college due to how Saban runs things over there that they are the ones with the worse work ethic.

Sidenote, it's amazing some of these kids won't work their asses off 100% of the time when they are literally ONE STEP AWAY from achieving their lifelong dreams and riches of being in the NFL if they just take care of business in college. I guess some think they've "made it" just by signing to a big-time D1 school.

That's a good point....the "Auburn Family' is a good tie-breaker in a recruiting battle but I just can't imagine that it is the main reason that a kid might choose AU over UGA or LSU or Bama or UF who are our usual competition There's gotta be something better than that. Just askin....what is the main pitch we are making with these guys?

The "family" thing is important to a degree. It makes the mom's & dad's feel that their son will be taken care of. And Big Cat weekend is great. We sell that better than anyone else. BUT, the bottom line these days with the kids is how long is it going to take me to get to the NFL? In other words show me the $$$$. bama has a room in their athletic offices with picture of their most current draft picks and big blown up copies of their signing bonus checks. That is impressive as hell to an elite 18 year old who basically has no pot to pee in. Saban also has his MNC rings on display in his office, where the recruits and their families sit with him for 45 to 60 minutes on their official visits. Just one on one. No position coach or coordinator.

And we're selling family atmosphere and early playing time. The ONLY reason we got Cowart last year is because Muschamp was directly responsible for getting a player he coached at Florida drafted (I think) #6 overall. That is the only thing Cowart cared about. He couldn't give a rat's butt about family, creed, or anything else. Just get me to the pros ASAP!

"Sidenote, it's amazing some of these kids won't work their asses off 100% of the time when they are literally ONE STEP AWAY from achieving their lifelong dreams and riches of being in the NFL if they just take care of business in college. I guess some think they've "made it" just by signing to a big-time D1 school"

It's the entitlement generation....They want it and want it right now. And do not want to put forth the effort and work to achieve it.......just give it to me.

It's the entitlement generation....They want it and want it right now. And do not want to put forth the effort and work to achieve it.......just give it to me.

Yeah but the same kind of kids have that entitlement mentality that sign with LSU/FLA/OSU/FSU/UAT/Clemson. Those kids are actually putting forth the effort and working their asses off and it shows on the field. They are achieving their goals both individually and as a team.

That's what I fail to understand, all programs are recruiting in the same pool of talented players. UAT & LSU have 5* prima-donnas that are killing it on Saturdays - Urban/Jimbo have top talent as well and they are getting the job done. Jim McElwain is in his first year at FLA, he's actually playing players AU came close to signing and they are executing on the field.

These are players that have been hot shots at their high schools for years. They are signing with elite level colleges, playing on teams that consistantly compete for championships. They want it right now, and they are working their asses off on the field to get it right now.

Yeah but the same kind of kids have that entitlement mentality that sign with LSU/FLA/OSU/FSU/UAT/Clemson. Those kids are actually putting forth the effort and working their asses off and it shows on the field. They are achieving their goals both individually and as a team.

That's what I fail to understand, all programs are recruiting in the same pool of talented players. UAT & LSU have 5* prima-donnas that are killing it on Saturdays - Urban/Jimbo have top talent as well and they are getting the job done. Jim McElwain is in his first year at FLA, he's actually playing players AU came close to signing and they are executing on the field.

These are players that have been hot shots at their high schools for years. They are signing with elite level colleges, playing on teams that consistantly compete for championships. They want it right now, and they are working their asses off on the field to get it right now.

Good points!

I agree.....

It's a little of everything. Recruiters are just salespeople and to make a sale, you have to demonstrate why your product has more value to them than the alternative. Some kids are already sold on school X because pappy played there, lifelong fan, like the colors, whatever. You rarely get that kid. Auburn not being the state school starts at a disadvantage as the state school typically has an easier road to the childhood fandom angle, especially when you're talking about $puat, their history, and yes, how they achieve it. Face it, some kids are bought and we don't have that luxury like a team under less scrutiny or with more protection.

So you are going to lose certain players to UGA, $puat, LSU, UF, FSU and Clemson who are doing pretty well currently and have to recruit against all the other schools. Some of those kids will want to play on the "winning" team as they don't have an allegiance. Some want to play where they know someone, go where the party atmosphere is best. The list goes on...

But AU can offer a few things some of those others can't: family atmosphere, good character coaches, the best chance to play early, the better academics, small town feel, etc...

And that in part is what has led to the inconsistency, AU has had cycles since I was there in 80, we struggle, we get on top, we muddle, we struggle, we get on top, roughly every 10 years. Some of the current situation is $puat, LSU, UGA and even FSU being on runs and sucking off a lot of the top recruits. So we have to do more with less and fight harder for the top kids. But it will come back around, it always does.

What will the effect be on our recruiting, when we are in major needs of athletes, especially at Wide Receiver and on Defense across the board?

Unless there is a head coaching change or losing a charismatic coordinator single seasons have very little impact in recruiting. This has been proven countless time throughout recruiting history.

Well we know for a fact that Stove is frustrated with our offense. And some thinks he is wavering to Florida.

I haven't heard anything about that. Where are you hearing that?

http://auburn.247spo...Stove--40462075

Yep. It's absolutely fact. The only person in that thread who covers AU recruiting says AU feels good w/ Stove...SMH

Well we know for a fact that Stove is frustrated with our offense. And some thinks he is wavering to Florida.

I haven't heard anything about that. Where are you hearing that?

http://auburn.247spo...Stove--40462075

Yep. It's absolutely fact. The only person in that thread who covers AU recruiting says AU feels good w/ Stove...SMH

smh?

Archived