What will the effect of this season be on recruiting?

bikeriderga

Kill me for not being worried about our O recruiting but our defense probably needs some eyebrow-raising good performances to close out the season - and not just one game - to show D recruits Muschamp has us headed in the right direction. Potential playing time, Muschamp's resume, etc will all pale in comparison to whether our D appears (or does not appear) to be on the right track. Starting this weekend against a respected O like Ole Miss.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we're good as far as o line but I'm worried about our wr and qb recruiting. Well as far as qb I just hope they evaluated right

We definitely need LB's and D-Line also need more depth at DB. As for O we definitely need receivers We also need O-Line We have three O-Linemen who are Red Shirt Juniors Young, Coleman, Kozan with some people talking about Coleman and Young going to NFL even if they don't go we only have them one more year. We have one RB committed so we are probably ok at RB.

IMO, this will hurt our recruiting the 4 and 5 * guys. And unless coach Malzahn makes changes on his staff for next year, our recruiting suffer again come signing day 2017.

It may make the coaches work/look harder for less known but just as talented players. It might be what AU needs to "Change the culture". These type players might be easily coached as well.

Boy...i take it back about not signing a JUCO QB this year.

Here we are with no healthy QB available...mentally or physically. SW showed tremendous guts out there but that knee will probably be a problem the rest of the year and JJ, nice guy that he is, just is not able to do the job....and who is next? A guy who has not played QB in a couple years?..or a walk-on who is here to learn about coaching?

Unbelievable situation for Auburn.

Guess it depends on the attitude of the recruit....does he want to go somewhere that allows him to make an impact...of just ride the success of other players who have already done the hard work ? Just from my observation there are only a handful of teams that are really good every year and yet the better players get pretty well scattered across the country. There are generally plenty to go around and one year does not usually define the quality of a program....either way.

My only concern is that I don't know that Gus is very good recruiter....we seem to be relying on the position coaches to do the work and secure the commitments ....and of course they also get the blame when a good prospect gets away. I find that troubling.

That's been pretty much the way recruiting is done since forever. The head coach is only allowed one in-home visit per recruit so it's pretty much up to the assistants to do the heavy lifting. That's at all schools, Auburn is in the same boat as everybody else. It seems like Gus is at one or more high school games every Friday night so I don't think he's sitting recruiting out.

I know he is out there talking to people......I'm just wondering if he can "seal the deal"... The Gus we see in press conferences just does not do much to inspire me....wonder how the recruits take to his approach?

Meanwhile isn't Thompson supposed to be a recruiting dynamo? is he doing anything to help our defensive recruiting? Never hear his name?

Most of our current commitments are guys we were working on long before Thompson got here. I don't think you'll be able to evaluate him at all until signing day this year and really next year would be the first true test.

Guess it depends on the attitude of the recruit....does he want to go somewhere that allows him to make an impact...of just ride the success of other players who have already done the hard work ? Just from my observation there are only a handful of teams that are really good every year and yet the better players get pretty well scattered across the country. There are generally plenty to go around and one year does not usually define the quality of a program....either way.

My only concern is that I don't know that Gus is very good recruiter....we seem to be relying on the position coaches to do the work and secure the commitments ....and of course they also get the blame when a good prospect gets away. I find that troubling.

That's been pretty much the way recruiting is done since forever. The head coach is only allowed one in-home visit per recruit so it's pretty much up to the assistants to do the heavy lifting. That's at all schools, Auburn is in the same boat as everybody else. It seems like Gus is at one or more high school games every Friday night so I don't think he's sitting recruiting out.

I know he is out there talking to people......I'm just wondering if he can "seal the deal"... The Gus we see in press conferences just does not do much to inspire me....wonder how the recruits take to his approach?

Meanwhile isn't Thompson supposed to be a recruiting dynamo? is he doing anything to help our defensive recruiting? Never hear his name?

Most of our current commitments are guys we were working on long before Thompson got here. I don't think you'll be able to evaluate him at all until signing day this year and really next year would be the first true test.

Lotta folks seem like they can't wait to evaluate coaches, players, the team. It's amazing how we've bought into the 'what have you done for me lately?' mentality.

Very believable situation, unfortunately. We need 4 quality guys on roster at all times. Some will get hurt and most won't be championship caliber quarterbacks. One might even get a DUI. Very few schools are ever really, truly set at the position.

Actually, I'm pretty sure that Thompson brought to Auburn connections to the DC, Maryland, Virginia area. Thompson widened our net and he is not necessarily working on recruits with prior relations with our staff. As expected, he is Gary's lead recruiter in NJ. And just for the record, the only commitment he has secured thus far is Tre Threat.

I wasn't expecting miracles from Thompson but was just wondering why his name has not been mentioned with our LB issues or recruiting activities.

I was starting to worry about defensive recruits but I can see CWM getting our players to play the way he wants and recruits can see them improving as well. There were several recruits from the Ole Miss game that basically said that they can see the improvement and not worried about the future of our defense under CWM. Also every year in recruiting we seem to close big with players that doesn't even seem to be on the radar right now. I believe if the defense keeps coming in the direction they are now we will close big again.

There were several recruits from the Ole Miss game that basically said that they can see the improvement and not worried about the future of our defense under CWM.

I haven't read anything anywhere, but I wonder if Character was waiting to make sure he was confident that he'd be coached well at Auburn.

There were several recruits from the Ole Miss game that basically said that they can see the improvement and not worried about the future of our defense under CWM.

I haven't read anything anywhere, but I wonder if Character was waiting to make sure he was confident that he'd be coached well at Auburn.

Believe I read it on rivals. The JUCO James said it as well as DE Davidson and DT Jackson. I wasn't quoting them just the general message all three gave. That you can see the defense improving and it seemed they were very happy to see it. Felt like they were hesitant about our defense but the improving performance over the last few games have made them see what the defense can be in the future. Felt like they all were waiting to see this and now that they can see it on the field is great for Auburn IMO

Believe I read it on rivals. The JUCO James said it as well as DE Davidson and DT Jackson. I wasn't quoting them just the general message all three gave. That you can see the defense improving and it seemed they were very happy to see it. Felt like they were hesitant about our defense but the improving performance over the last few games have made them see what the defense can be in the future. Felt like they all were waiting to see this and now that they can see it on the field is great for Auburn IMO

Good stuff, thank you for sharing that.

Yep, all 3 mentioned it.

Yep, all 3 mentioned it.

Getting rid of coaches at the end of the season would have more of a negative impact on recruiting than the W-L this season. JMO

Most of the kids can see the improvements in defense and also see the effect that injuries have been having. No reason that I can see for not being in the top 10 or so.

Yep, all 3 mentioned it.

Getting rid of coaches at the end of the season would have more of a negative impact on recruiting than the W-L this season. JMO

Most of the kids can see the improvements in defense and also see the effect that injuries have been having. No reason that I can see for not being in the top 10 or so.

Isn't it hilarious how a bunch of high school seniors have a more mature, level-headed opinion of our football program than "we" do?

Elite D linemen and Linebackers should be lining to come. Pretty obvious they will get the chance to play in big games right away, which is what most of them say they want. I don't really think any coaches are going anywhere. Maybe if Rocker becomes available Gus should consider moving Rodney to an off the field head recruiter position and bringing Rocker home to coach the DL if that's what Boom wants.

Elite D linemen and Linebackers should be lining to come. Pretty obvious they will get the chance to play in big games right away, which is what most of them say they want. I don't really think any coaches are going anywhere. Maybe if Rocker becomes available Gus should consider moving Rodney to an off the field head recruiter position and bringing Rocker home to coach the DL if that's what Boom wants.

If Gus wants to consult me on the situation at WR, I'd be willing to talk to him. We need to keep CDC on staff but we should also consider getting creative.

I'm here, Coach. Just reach out whenever you're ready.

Yep, all 3 mentioned it.

Isn't it hilarious how a bunch of high school seniors have a more mature, level-headed opinion of our football program than "we" do?

Some of the recruits even knew to expect the ole miss games to be close because the defense would have a chip on their shoulders. I read that when some were predicting the winner of a couple of games

I'm sure this is a crazy thought, but what if we win our next three and barely... just barely, lose to Alabama in a defensive stalemate that hasn't been seen in almost a decade? Do we stay on the coach firing bandwagon and risk losing recruits?

I'm sure this is a crazy thought, but what if we win our next three and barely... just barely, lose to Alabama in a defensive stalemate that hasn't been seen in almost a decade? Do we stay on the coach firing bandwagon and risk losing recruits?

Who is this "we" you speak of? Only idiots are on any coach firing bandwagon. While there seem to be plenty of them on message boards, luckily none of them are in the decision making process.

I am with Mikey only idiots are on a coach firing spree. Most of our D coaches just got here and we are seeing some improvement so far recruiting is OK with a long time to NSD and lately we seem to be trending better for some of our desired recruits. So of course we want to start all over again (Sarcasm). Give these coaches a chance lets keep a system in place long enough for the players to learn it and improve as they understand what is required of them. Having a coaching carousel is asking for long term failure.

I am with Mikey only idiots are on a coach firing spree. Most of our D coaches just got here and we are seeing some improvement so far recruiting is OK with a long time to NSD and lately we seem to be trending better for some of our desired recruits. So of course we want to start all over again (Sarcasm). Give these coaches a chance lets keep a system in place long enough for the players to learn it and improve as they understand what is required of them. Having a coaching carousel is asking for long term failure.

I agree 100%. Coaching takes time. Slowly but surly you can see our defensive coaches putting their stamp on our players. And also what better defensive coaches are you going to get? I'm not sure you could hand pick 3 better defensive coaches then CWM,T-Rob or Thompson. The DL coach you could argue about but players build relationships with coaches and learn what they want and how they should play. Recruits want staff cohesiveness so they know who is coaching them and to know what system they will be playing in. Just give it time.

Archived