If your head coach had this 5-season trend...

TitanTiger

...would you want him fired? How hot would his seat be?

Undefeated, wins a national title, then...

8-2-1

8-3

6-5

6-5-1

The last four include a 2-6 record against your biggest rivals. Three of the losses by double digits and one of those was a shutout.

Has this coach lost his touch and needs to be replaced?

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel like I'm being setup ... :dunno:

I guess this record is describing some great coach. Who is this coach you are referring to?

...would you want him fired? How hot would his seat be?

Undefeated, wins a national title, then...

8-2-1

8-3

6-5

6-5-1

The last four include a 2-6 record against your biggest rivals. Three of the losses by double digits and one of those was a shutout.

Has this coach lost his touch and needs to be replaced?

Nope.

But if he ever gets as bad as to go 3-9 overall or finishes a season with just 1 conference win, he's toast. >:D

Its da bear. I googled it.

That Internet is a powerful thing!

Yep. Bear Bryant. Thanks for spoiling it without answering the question. <_<

That was the 5-year span from 1966-1970 for Bear Bryant at Alabama. He promptly, starting in 1971, went on a 10 year tear through college football. He won 9 straight over us, 11 straight over Tennessee and LSU.

I'm not saying Gus (or any coach in modern SEC football) is going to go on a tear of 10 straight wins over UGA and Bama. I am saying that even the best coaches and teams sometimes go through a down cycle and recover to do great things. And I think that today we are far too impatient. Gus made an incredible turnaround year one, but now we are feeling the impact of what got us to a season like 2012. We have not built the quality depth that Alabama, LSU and other have. We missed on some guys, others got kicked off, some didn't pan out. As much as we'd like to think, we weren't in a position to have one off year and be right back to winning 12 games. The defensive problems have spanned 6 years and 3 prior DCs. And on offense, all it takes is terrible QB play to throw any team into a tailspin. I think we've corrected the latter issue. The former one will take some time.

But I'll say this...if a stud defensive player in the front seven wants early playing time and a chance for instant impact, he's got to see nothing but opportunity at Auburn.

I think Gus can get us there. I think the same guy that took us to a national title as an OC and played for another as HC will be able to get us back there. But it won't happen if we do the typical Auburn thing and get impatient (especially if we see bama being successful) and get on the never-ending coaching carousel.

Good post - key is the patience. Bear had a patient fanbase/hiring authority. I think if we give Gus time, we will get back on track. I believe Muschamp will get the D in place in time. We need stability. Heck even Chris Peterson (head coach at Washington, previously at Boise St who is a very succesful coach) said it can up to 5 years to really get a program on track. Let's give it some time.

This offense, right now, is good enough to win 9-10 games if it had a decent defense paired with it. Even with the unexpected meltdown of JJ, Sean has come in to steady the ship. We aren't as lethal as we have been the last couple of years, but we are effective with Sean and getting better. But our biggest problem is not one that is solved by fixing one position like we have at QB.

Thanks TT, it is hard to accept at times but it does take time to build a program. Todays instant gratification world has a hard time with this idea. While I am not pleased with were we are as aprogram today I do see progress. How long I can wait for success is to be determined.

While I know that some today are calling for change I am not sure I see the need, yet. It takes time to build depth and fighting the recruiting fight at Auburn has been difficult for eternity.

I believe in the Boom brothers. Hopefully we can keep them together for a couple of years.

I get your point and I have been an outspoken proponent of the current coaching staff. You will never get me to believe that the current staff (most of whom has 20+ years of coaching experience) has suddenly forgotten how to coach and what it takes to win ballgames. A majority of the blame for the woes this season rests squarely on the player's shoulders.

But, I think the comparison is somewhat unfair. Back in the 70's, there were no scholarship limitations and college football was not as big of a business as it is now. Two different eras if you ask me. The real issue is, in this day and age, when all teams have good players and when fan (and more so, powerful booster's) expectations are for 10+ win seasons, it's going to be hard to continue to support coaches that consistently field teams that don't compete and are only good for 6-8 wins per season.

Sorry, that's just the way it is..............

That 4 year trend doesn't include two losing seasons though

Not sure how that's applicable here.

Because that trend is serviceable. Gus of course isn't responsible for 2012. But a HC who had our prior 4 years would have to get fired. I see that you're saying that anything can happen, but people aren't debating against Gus because they don't have any hope things can turn around, they're debating against him because there's more going against Gus and this program than helping it. I'd love for Auburn to have a crazy turnaround like Bryant but it would be blind faith at the end of the day.

I guarantee you none of those teams had the fundamental deficiencies of this AU team.

Maybe, maybe not. But they were pretty bad. And you also have to remember, this was an era with only 6 SEC games. Those last two years included a loss to Vanderbilt, a 41-14 loss to Tennessee, a 49-26 loss to Auburn. For 7 of those 12 victories over two years, they beat up on creampuffs like Virginia Tech (terrible program prior to Beamer), Southern Miss, Houston, Miami (FL) (bad prior to the 80s), Clemson. Only team among them with a winning record those two seasons was Houston. It included 6 double-digit losses.

There were whispers that Bear had lost his touch and it might be time to move on. But cooler heads prevailed.

That 4 year trend doesn't include two losing seasons though

Not sure how that's applicable here.

Because that trend is serviceable. Gus of course isn't responsible for 2012. But a HC who had our prior 4 years would have to get fired. I see that you're saying that anything can happen, but people aren't debating against Gus because they don't have any hope things can turn around, they're debating against him because there's more going against Gus and this program than helping it. I'd love for Auburn to have a crazy turnaround like Bryant but it would be blind faith at the end of the day.

But that's a nonsensical argument. We're talking about Gus. So 2012 is completely irrelevant to the discussion except that the issues that got us there and resulted from it (which include personnel) didn't all magically disappear just because a new staff came in.

Personally, I'm of the opinion Gus needs a couple more years before we even think about firing him, but maybe I'm in the minority...

If you are, you shouldn't be.

This offense, right now, is good enough to win 9-10 games if it had a decent defense paired with it.

Not even close. Our receivers are below average. The running game is really nothing special either.

Wait until we play an actual defense.

This offense, right now, is good enough to win 9-10 games if it had a decent defense paired with it.

Not even close. Our receivers are below average. The running game is really nothing special either.

Unfortunately I think the board just don't know....we have only faced one team with a pass rush this year....

We've scraped together four wins and two of them came with a QB in total meltdown mode. If we had known that would happen and Sean had been the starter, we win the MSU Game and are 5-2 right now with the crappy defense we have. If you paired that with a decent defense, 9-10 games is definitely doable.

Personally, I'm of the opinion Gus needs a couple more years before we even think about firing him, but maybe I'm in the minority...

I'm with you on this. But this is the internet, so the nutjobs who say the same thing over and over and over often yelll the loudest and the most

I'm with you on this. But this is the internet, so the nutjobs who say the same thing over and over and over often yelll the loudest and the most

I'll say this. I am being extremely critical of this staff after the arkansas game, but I do feel everyone but DCraig deserves to come back next year and have a chance to turn it around. If we see the same deficiencies next year, or even close to this bad, it's time to clean house.

Archived