How can you not love this guy?

ClaytonAU

I still looking forward to seeing what this football team can pull off. I still think we have a few wins in there that others don't give us much chance at. Then I'll be at Auburn Arena for Pearl and the boys!

Thanks for posting again. I missed it the first time around. I think he is and will do great things for auburn. You really get a sense that he truly appreciates this opportunity and I believe auburn is going to benefit greatly from it.

• 4 months later...

Likeable guy, historically good coach. If we lose our last game of the regular season and/or tank early in the tournament, Bruce will be still sitting on promising talent he cultivated for the future and the lowest winning percentage @ Auburn of any AU coach since 1947. Quick - when's the last time a basketball coach left with a winning record at AU? Right, Joel Eaves (1963). That will get a coliseum named after you.

Hoping next season starts with another Pearl-esque tournament run this season!

I'm pretty sure both Sonny and Cliff had winning records at AU. Of course, I'm talking overall and you may be referring to their last year only.

Quick - when's the last time a basketball coach left with a winning record at AU? Right, Joel Eaves (1963). That will get a coliseum named after you.

In addition to those mentioned above, there's Bill Lynn, Bob Davis and "gasp" Jeff Lebo. So that's five.

I'm pretty sure both Sonny and Cliff had winning records at AU. Of course, I'm talking overall and you may be referring to their last year only.

is Bruce in his last year? What the heck are y'all talkin about?

Quick - when's the last time a basketball coach left with a winning record at AU? Right, Joel Eaves (1963). That will get a coliseum named after you.

In addition to those mentioned above, there's Bill Lynn, Bob Davis and "gasp" Jeff Lebo. So that's five.

Eaves is the only one to have a winning record in the SEC....other than Shug Jordan before he became a football coach.

Eaves is the only one to have a winning record in the SEC....other than Shug Jordan before he became a football coach.

Yes, but that's not what was stated. He said Eaves was the last AU coach to leave with a winning record. Five have been named, above, that had winning records and left after Eaves.

I once read somewhere that Adolph Rupp wrote Shug a letter telling him that he was making a big mistake going to coach football full time because he had a bright future in basketball. Can't think of a better comment about someone's basketball coaching ability than that.

Yes, but that's not what was stated. He said Eaves was the last AU coach to leave with a winning record. Five have been named, above, that had winning records and left after Eaves.

I once read somewhere that Adolph Rupp wrote Shug a letter telling him that he was making a big mistake going to coach football full time because he had a bright future in basketball. Can't think of a better comment about someone's basketball coaching ability than that.

I understood that .....was just commenting on our ineptness in the SEC with basketball. Other than Eaves, these coaches made their W-L by beating an army of geographic schools...and muddling through the SEC though most got off to a rough start and even with some later success they could not overcome their bad start. Bruce might suffer the same fate considering how much in the hole he is with his SEC W-L. Gonna take some really good years for him to get over the 50% mark.

Check Eaves record in 1961 ...http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/auburn/1962-schedule.html typical schedule back then without a single Brevard or Northwestern State to pump up the W-L results.

It's a shame that we have to go back 50 years to find a coach who could keep us a factor in SEC basketball for more than an occasional little streak now and then.

Cliff Ellis was a great coach at Auburn. I like Pearl but had AU stuck with Ellis thru the problems at the time, Auburn would still be good. We consistently had at least 1 NBA Draft pick and consistently won a game or 3 that we were not sup to win. Now he is at coastal Carolina and they win big every year and have made the NCAA tourney multiple times.

Point being I was at Auburn during the Ellis years and he had to have left with a winning record right?

Point being I was at Auburn during the Ellis years and he had to have left with a winning record right?

Winning record overall but losing record in the SEC....and had a couple bad years that led to his firing...plus the NCAA run-in which cost Lebo some scholarships. But you are right, he's been successful pretty much everywhere he's been...though he did have some NCAA problems at Coastal and Clemson as well as AU. I like the guy...personable and all but loose with the rules it seems.

Concerning the OP......it is getting pretty easy lately.

Archived