LB play

johnnyAU

Frost was never a five star LB, he was a five star athlete. I don't think he has ever learned to really read and react quickly, and he doesn't have the instincts of an LB. He doesn't make quick decisions, and he has absolutely no mean streak. This is more or less what he looked like in the... I can't remember if it was the Army AA game or the Under Armour AA game: A gifted physical specimen who just isn't physical enough at LB, and who doesn't see his reads quick enough. I *think* he was a WR coming out of high school.

I was thinking the same thing too. I think at one point, very early on, he was a receiver, then got moved.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chizik may have really screwed Kris Frost. I don't think he should've been a LB at all from the moment he stepped on campus (hindsight of course). Safety maybe?

I seem to remember him saying in an interview how he is a WR "at heart" or something similar

We know he can catch, so lets try him at WR.

But he doesn't seem to have the speed to play WR either though.

Well, he did run down Treadwell I guess

Maybe he could do some TE duty. We could actually pass to the TE.

Tre did start against MSU and did reasonably well. Then he got injured against SJSU, and well....back to Frost. I think the other big problem is with DL not shedding blocks.

I don't want to talk about anyone but I have to add to this OP... when I see LB play I get fired up.

if you watched any game...college or NFL if there was a success on defense it started and ended with LBs.

on the last play where we were up by 2 with their QB rolling hard right...already gave up 80% of the field, if I am not mistaken 17 was just "out there". I guess this is the best way to call it but he was not in position to get the QB and he was not in position to support receiver coverage. How do you stay here that long and be that ineffective? And I am sorry....but I need to ask...do we have the players to make this better? If so, where are they?

Newday22, thats exactly what I have been ragging on Frost about as well. He was in no-mans land not doing anything. If he had been in coverage like he was supposed to, the DLine would have either tackled the QB or he would have to try and run in for the score and Frost and the DBs could have tackled him and AU wins the game. That is just one play but on EVERY OTHER big time play he was out of position and completely ineffective. Even the last regulation drive of Arky on 3rd and 4 or whatever Frost is in the right spot to drop the QB for a loss but lets the QB run right past him for the first down. I could go on and on just from the Arkansas game alone but Ill stop here and say this, the fact that KF is still on the field either says a lot about who is behind him or it says a lot about our coaches! Either way is not good.

The plays that stick out in my head was not Frost but is indicative of our linebacker play to me. In overtime, the Ark. QB drops back and the RB flairs out to the outside. The outside LB doesn't see the RB and by the time he does it was way to late.

This happened several times in the same game.

To me you have to know your responsibilities and it has to be an automatic reaction to what your seeing. All our LB's are always slow reading the play. Frost gets crack backed on most of the time due to this. The TE already has a bead on him before he moves.

Newday22, thats exactly what I have been ragging on Frost about as well. He was in no-mans land not doing anything. If he had been in coverage like he was supposed to, the DLine would have either tackled the QB or he would have to try and run in for the score and Frost and the DBs could have tackled him and AU wins the game. That is just one play but on EVERY OTHER big time play he was out of position and completely ineffective. Even the last regulation drive of Arky on 3rd and 4 or whatever Frost is in the right spot to drop the QB for a loss but lets the QB run right past him for the first down. I could go on and on just from the Arkansas game alone but Ill stop here and say this, the fact that KF is still on the field either says a lot about who is behind him or it says a lot about our coaches! Either way is not good.

You forgot the interception and the forced fumble. Oh, wait, I'm sorry... those two plays don't fit your agenda. No, Kris is not a superstar at Linebacker, but his name was called a lot on Saturday for making the tackle, and he, alone, had the momentum turning play in the second quarter. Take a break from ragging on the kid.

You forgot the interception and the forced fumble. Oh, wait, I'm sorry... those two plays don't fit your agenda. No, Kris is not a superstar at Linebacker, but his name was called a lot on Saturday for making the tackle, and he, alone, had the momentum turning play in the second quarter. Take a break from ragging on the kid.

not sure anyone has an agenda here....well at least not what I see here...maybe every play was a little strong...bottom line is just like a few years back...who was our LB...#5.....kid had a mountain of heart...but that did not relate to much success at the LB position nor at our D outcomes. Much like this year.

17 and 8 have made plenty of plays....but certainly missed on a fair share as well. My disappointment is having someone around for that long and not just owning the field.

But I do think D issues are running deep...Heck...look at MS State game....holding them to what they did was pretty dog on good...

just need to figure out how to get 22 guys playing like 1.

it shall come.

not sure anyone has an agenda here....well at least not what I see here...maybe every play was a little strong...bottom line is just like a few years back...who was our LB...#5.....kid had a mountain of heart...but that did not relate to much success at the LB position nor at our D outcomes. Much like this year.

17 and 8 have made plenty of plays....but certainly missed on a fair share as well. My disappointment is having someone around for that long and not just owning the field.

But I do think D issues are running deep...Heck...look at MS State game....holding them to what they did was pretty dog on good...

it shall come.

I don't think YOU have an agenda, but there are several posters on here who look for every opportunity to run down Kris Frost and, to a lesser extent, Casanova McKenzie, and I'm kind of sick of it. No matter how bad or good a player is, that's not how Auburn people should treat our own. Week in and week out Cass or Kris make both good plays and bad plays. More often than not, one of them has at least one potentially game changing play, but there are people here who just want to highlight their failings and that is not right.

I don't think a problem of this magnitude can be a result of any one thing. I have noticed on many of the plays our LBers get burnt on, they are trying to make every play instead of being disciplined and making the plays in their assigned area. This lack of discipline results in holes at LOS that otherwise would be plugged. No faith in their teamates to make the play, kinda like tee-ball. The ball is hit in the outfield and nine kids chase it, then the whole team ends up in outfield while baserunner scores. 2015 SEC defense requires disciplined, assignment responsible play. If I am to take out the RB, then take out the RB and don't worry about what else happens!!!

it shall come.

I don't think YOU have an agenda, but there are several posters on here who look for every opportunity to run down Kris Frost and, to a lesser extent, Casanova McKenzie, and I'm kind of sick of it. No matter how bad or good a player is, that's not how Auburn people should treat our own. Week in and week out Cass or Kris make both good plays and bad plays. More often than not, one of them has at least one potentially game changing play, but there are people here who just want to highlight their failings and that is not right.

I have no agenda. But the fact of the matter is this is a thread discussing the horrible play of the LBs and Frost has played horrible for most of the season IMO. I am not an expert nor claim to be, but watch the game and watch the LB play specifically and it is what it is. Being an Auburn man does not mean that you can't critique the play of Auburn football players. If you are tired of reading posts that point out their deficiencies then don't read threads where that is the main topic. Oh, and 2 good plays dont erase 40 bad ones. If that were the case I could be a starter!

Including those two plays, I can only think of three times total where I thought, "Thank God we have Kris Frost." Just because someone has a negative opinion of someone doesn't mean they have an agenda. No offense to the kid, but he has been way more of a liability than anything else, and I think nearly everyone on this board sees that. Having said that, nearly everyone with a LB next to their name is the exact same way, without the positives.

We haven't had a mean, nasty LB since Bynes. We've been recruiting smaller hybrid players for a completely different D. We don't have downhill LBs , we have reactionary.

I have no agenda. But the fact of the matter is this is a thread discussing the horrible play of the LBs and Frost has played horrible for most of the season IMO. I am not an expert nor claim to be, but watch the game and watch the LB play specifically and it is what it is. Being an Auburn man does not mean that you can't critique the play of Auburn football players. If you are tired of reading posts that point out their deficiencies then don't read threads where that is the main topic. Oh, and 2 good plays dont erase 40 bad ones. If that were the case I could be a starter!

2 good plays do erase a lot of errors when they include are turnovers and/or lead to scores and momentum changes. Also, you we very adamant about how "EVERY OTHER play he was out of position and completely ineffective". Sorry, brother, but you can't back peddle on over the top statements like that. That's not being critical, that's attacking. You have convinced yourself that Frost is awful and you are going to put him down no matter what. That is the definition of agenda.

Honestly, I'd love to see someone like you go head to head with Bird, who actually knows defense, analyzing linebacker play in a game. I bet you'd be shocked how average, with glimpsed of solid, our linebacker core is, instead of awful and only in there because the system is corrupt or coaches incompetent, as you claim (more agenda material).

And for the record, I don't know a thing about you, but I guarantee you that you could start every game and never come up with an interception, especially a diving interception ... if you survived.

We haven't had a mean, nasty LB since Bynes. We've been recruiting smaller hybrid players for a completely different D. We don't have downhill LBs , we have reactionary.

Well stated and totally correct. See, gentlemen, this is being critical without attacking an individual player with hyperbole and innuendo.

Including those two plays, I can only think of three times total where I thought, "Thank God we have Kris Frost." Just because someone has a negative opinion of someone doesn't mean they have an agenda. No offense to the kid, but he has been way more of a liability than anything else, and I think nearly everyone on this board sees that. Having said that, nearly everyone with a LB next to their name is the exact same way, without the positives.

So was it last year's Ole Miss game that didn't impress you or 2013's Texas A&M?

No, someone having a negative opinion of someone doesn't mean they have an agenda, but when they exaggerate their deficiencies and claim they are only on the field because of corruption of coaching incompetence... if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...

Well stated and totally correct. See, gentlemen, this is being critical without attacking an individual player with hyperbole and innuendo.

I'll also add that a lot of these kids have had multiple DCs that had different philosophies throughout their college careers. We need continuity and stabilization in our coaching staff for multiple years. The answer isn't cleaning house every 3 years. It's gotten us to where we are now.

On Frost playing WR in HS....If I'm not mistaken, so did Karlos Dansby. He ended up as one of the best LB's we've ever had, and still playing in the NFL after 10+ years.

Not too shabby.

So was it last year's Ole Miss game that didn't impress you or 2013's Texas A&M?

No, someone having a negative opinion of someone doesn't mean they have an agenda, but when they exaggerate their deficiencies and claim they are only on the field because of corruption of coaching incompetence... if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...

point well taken....

unfortunately the tendencies are what have you done for me lately and you remember the negative.

As pointed out our D has basically been backs to the wall for some time.... if anyone can get our edge back it would be Coach Muschamp. It will come...

Didn't remember Ole Miss. Was that the play that broke their star receiver (can't remember how to spell his name)? If so, I'll take down the three plays and bump it up to four great plays in what, four years? The point that everyone is making by continually harping on Fost is is this: Kris is a terrible linebacker that has shown flashes of potential but is not disciplined enough to live up to it. And I certainly believe it's valid, because he's out of position all the time.

Of course, it's not jus him; all our linebackers suck. The only one that I have actually seen play and have been glad we had was Garret. Sometimes McKinzy; I feel like he has had a much more positive impact on the field than Frost.

Other than that, I haven't seen a linebacker that is disciplined enough to not constantly disappear on every down (where they go, I can't say, but before the snap they are there, and afterwards the middle of the field is wide open and I can't find them).

2 good plays do erase a lot of errors when they include are turnovers and/or lead to scores and momentum changes. Also, you we very adamant about how "EVERY OTHER play he was out of position and completely ineffective". Sorry, brother, but you can't back peddle on over the top statements like that. That's not being critical, that's attacking. You have convinced yourself that Frost is awful and you are going to put him down no matter what. That is the definition of agenda.

Honestly, I'd love to see someone like you go head to head with Bird, who actually knows defense, analyzing linebacker play in a game. I bet you'd be shocked how average, with glimpsed of solid, our linebacker core is, instead of awful and only in there because the system is corrupt or coaches incompetent, as you claim (more agenda material).

And for the record, I don't know a thing about you, but I guarantee you that you could start every game and never come up with an interception, especially a diving interception ... if you survived.

First off, Kris Frost convinced me that he is awful at LB IMO by his play. I watch every Auburn game and this year I have recorded them. I have gone back and watched the defense play time and time again in an attempt to figure out why they are playing so poorly. If you would do that, and watch it without any preconceived notions on who is good and bad YOU will come to same conclusion if you know anything about football. As I stated before, I am not a self proclaimed expert but I played football from middle school to a year in college before transferring to Auburn and have been a fan all my life. I am certainly qualified to give my own educated opinion. When I said that he messed up on EVERY BIG play I was not exaggerating and it is not "an over the top" comment. I was talking about the overtime periods if you look at the context. Watch the overtimes again and watch the 4th down plays and 2 pt conversions. FROST messed up on every one of them. Then I further mentioned the last Arky drive on 3rd and short when he was there to stop the QB and force a long FG and he whiffed on him. I didn't make this up, its fact. I'm sorry that you do not like me calling out a player that is hurting the team with terrible play. It is what it is. What is my "agenda"?? By definition I guess my agenda is to convey to the readers of this thread that my opinion is that Kris Frost played very poorly, and I wish AU had someone to replace him that would perform better.

The only one that I have actually seen play and have been glad we had was Garret. Sometimes McKinzy; I feel like he has had a much more positive impact on the field than Frost.

I honestly haven't seen Garrett play long enough to determine how good he is. Cass is weird, because he will lead the team in tackles one game and then vanish the next. He also is notorious for being nearly invisible and then suddenly coming up with the big play. Frost is the same way, but his better games tend to be farther apart. In all, I would call our LB core average. I honestly think all of them could be above average linebackers on other teams in other conferences. The problem is that the SEC is not an average conference. It also doesn't help them, at all, that line has been relatively porous since 2010.

AT NO POINT have I ever said anything about corruption or coaches being incompetent. Where are you getting this from? I have never called them incompetent. I don't like their decision to keep Frost on the field and that's where it ends. But like I also have said, that may mean that he is the best we have. Which would raise questions as to why he is the best we have for the reasons many of us have discussed.

Archived