LB play

johnnyAU

AT NO POINT have I ever said anything about corruption or coaches being incompetent. Where are you getting this from????

"the fact that KF is still on the field either says a lot about who is behind him or it says a lot about our coaches!"

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When asked, Coach Muschamp observed that the LB play was just average and that is true. It is also true that KF needs to make improvements and yes, of course he does, as do all the others. But there is a much much larger and more important issue at play here.

Kris Frost is also the product of a program that gave him 4 LB coaches, 4 DCs and 4 different defensive schemes in his 5 years. Consider also that when he had his 2 most formative years, as a Soph and Jr, he was being coached how to play LB by E. Johnson. On top of that, during game time for 2 years, KF didn't get any coaching from his LB coach because EJ was up in the press box.

This is what we gave KF to work with so he could learn how to play LB at an "elite" level.

2011, True Fres year: LBs- T. Roof, DC- T. Roof

2012, ReSh Fres year: LBs- Thigpen, DC- Van Gorder

2013, Sophomore year: LBs- Johnson, DC- Johnson

2014, Junior year...: LBs- Johnson, DC- Johnson

2015, Senior year...: LBs- Muschamp,DC- Muschamp

People can expect LBs to play at a certain level all they want. But when you put these upperclassmen through constant changes like that, where coaching LBs almost seems like an after thought, what in the world do you expect ? Do you think you will get elite LBs out of a process like that or will you get average LBs ?

Consider this. Maybe, just maybe, the constant in all this is the constant change for our LBs. Yet, because he hasn't yet completely changed the influence of the previous 4 years, after only 7 games we already have people calling for Boom's head so we can do it all over again. The old saying that insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results rings true here.

No, we need to leave the LB coaching staff/DC in place and let's have some continuity. Then we may have a chance for the most important position on the defense to reach the high level of performance that is indeed necessary.

When asked, Coach Muschamp observed that the LB play was just average and that is true. It is also true that KF needs to make improvements and of course he does as do all the others. But there is a much larger and more important issue at play here.

Kris Frost is also the product of a program that gave him 4 LB coaches, 4 DCs and 4 different defensive schemes in his 5 years. Consider also that when he had his 2 most formative years, as a Soph and Jr, he was being coached how to play LB by E. Johnson. On top of that, during game time for 2 years, KF didn't get any coaching from his LB coach because EJ was up in the press box.

This is what we gave KF to learn to play LB at an "elite" level.

2011: True Fres year, LBs- T. Roof, DC- T. Roof

2012: ReSh Fres year, LBs- Thigpen, DC- Van Gorder

2013: Sophomore year, LBs- Johnson, DC- Johnson

2014: Junior year..., LBs- Johnson, DC- Johnson

2015: Senior year..., LBs- Muschamp,DC- Muschamp

People can expect LBs to play at a certain level all they want. But when you put these upperclassmen through constant changes like that, where coaching LBs almost seems like an after thought, what in the world do you expect ? Do you think you will get elite LBs out of that process or just average ones ?

Consider this. Maybe, just maybe, the constant in all this is the constant change for our LBs. Yet we already have people calling for Boom's head after only 7 games so we can do it all over again. The old saying that insanity is doing the same thing over and over but expecting different results, may just apply here.

No, what we need to do is leave the LB coaching staff in place and let's have some continuity. Then we may have a chance that the most important position on the defense will reach the high level of performance that is necessary.

Scheming learning is one thing, instinct is another. You can have the best coach in the world, but if you can't make the tackle, take the proper angles and understand simple things like maintaining leverage in the flats, then learning scheme will do nothing for you. You got to do the simple things right first, before you can even think about learning complex schemes.

Well call a spade a spade we haven't been the best evaluators of defensive talent if what the insiders say is true either. Coaches have prioritised the wrong guys alot

It may be a convenient answer, but I can't blame many of Frost's problem's on his coaching. He is slow to react, slow footed and takes bad angles. He has always been this way at Auburn.

I like the kid. He is well spoken, smart and has never been an issue off the field. I wish him the best after he departs this season, but that doesn't mean we can't offer an opinion of his play.

The good news is that I believe Tre Williams will be a good one and have high hopes for Holland, Davis, and McBryde. The bad news is that I had the same hopes for Frost, Swain, Mitchell and Flowers.

Here's to hoping something different happens with this crop of young bloods.

It may be a convenient answer, but I can't blame many of Frost's problem's on his coaching. He is slow to react, slow footed and takes bad angles. He has always been this way at Auburn.

I like the kid. He is well spoken, smart and has never been an issue off the field. I wish him the best after he departs this season, but that doesn't mean we can't offer an opinion of his play.

The good news is that I believe Tre Williams will be a good one and have high hopes for Holland, Davis, and McBryde. The bad news is that I had the same hopes for Frost, Swain, Mitchell and Flowers.

Mcbryde and the other Williams need to be good. Like it's very very important

When asked, Coach Muschamp observed that the LB play was just average and that is true. It is also true that KF needs to make improvements and of course he does as do all the others. But there is a much larger and more important issue at play here.

This is what we gave KF to learn to play LB at an "elite" level.

2011: True Fres year, LBs- T. Roof, DC- T. Roof

2012: ReSh Fres year, LBs- Thigpen, DC- Van Gorder

2013: Sophomore year, LBs- Johnson, DC- Johnson

2014: Junior year..., LBs- Johnson, DC- Johnson

2015: Senior year..., LBs- Muschamp,DC- Muschamp

People can expect LBs to play at a certain level all they want. But when you put these upperclassmen through constant changes like that, where coaching LBs almost seems like an after thought, what in the world do you expect ? Do you think you will get elite LBs out of that process or just average ones ?

Consider this. Maybe, just maybe, the constant in all this is the constant change for our LBs. Yet we already have people calling for Boom's head after only 7 games so we can do it all over again. The old saying that insanity is doing the same thing over and over but expecting different results, may just apply here.

No, what we need to do is leave the LB coaching staff in place and let's have some continuity. Then we may have a chance that the most important position on the defense will reach the high level of performance that is necessary.

Scheming learning is one thing, instinct is another. You can have the best coach in the world, but if you can't make the tackle, take the proper angles and understand simple things like maintaining leverage in the flats, then learning scheme will do nothing for you. You got to do the simple things right first, before you can even think about learning complex schemes.

All true and Cass is an example of the player you are talking about. Played LB, better instincts for the position, which has helped him. In KF's case we have a player that had to be taught the position of LB because he came out of HS as an Ath. What he was given to learn that is as listed above.

In addition, having better continuity in the LB coaching staff putting a better product on the field is all part of better recruiting.

The only one that I have actually seen play and have been glad we had was Garret. Sometimes McKinzy; I feel like he has had a much more positive impact on the field than Frost.

I honestly haven't seen Garrett play long enough to determine how good he is. Cass is weird, because he will lead the team in tackles one game and then vanish the next. He also is notorious for being nearly invisible and then suddenly coming up with the big play. Frost is the same way, but his better games tend to be farther apart. In all, I would call our LB core average. I honestly think all of them could be above average linebackers on other teams in other conferences. The problem is that the SEC is not an average conference. It also doesn't help them, at all, that line has been relatively porous since 2010.

It seems to me that Garret and McKinzy make stops, while every once and a while Frost will make a momentum-swinging play, like Ole Miss, A&M, Arky interception, etc. It's very likely that Cass and Justin disappear all the time too, but it just seems like when they are in the game they make plays. I have faith though that LB play will start to drastically improve next year.

Well, considering that we now have the LB coach from a school that was known for their LB prowess, we don't have any more excuses with the young guys.

It all goes back to the same issue so it's much more than convenience. I don't agree with your entire characterization of KF but, no matter your criticism of him, the same things apply.

The coaches that recruited him for the position, that decided he should play LB, that trained and developed him for LB, that kept him at the position, were the coaches that were part of the revolving door over KF's 5 years. Lack of attention is the main reason problems don't get addressed and are allowed to fester. Then you end up in a position like we have now, with our DC grading out our Senior LBs as average, and people wondering why Boom isn't a miracle worker.

But, I certainly do agree with you on the future. If we can just get some continuity in this coaching staff, I think we will see major improvements at LB.

I hate that every other football game I watch feels like I am watching a team with a better defense than ours!! Maybe it is because I get so upset with them that I don't see any positives, but it seems like every team we play has a better defense than ours. I started this year with such high expectations for improvement and have been so let down. I have never seen a defensive line fail to get pressure on a QB so many times in one game in my life. That failure then leads to the LBs, and I watch them get swallowed up in the scrum in the middle play after play. Honestly guys if it weren't for our DB's coming up to make tackles opposing teams would get 1st down after 1st down. Like many have mentioned, lack of execution by the opponent has killed more drives this year than our defense. I know we are talking LBs here but the D-Line and LBs go hand in hand. If the line is bad it will make the LBs look bad and vice versa. BOTH need fresh blood and better coaching!

I agree.

I have often thought it appears we are playing a man down on D (10),

And the other team is playing a man up on D (12).

Frost was never a five star LB, he was a five star athlete. I don't think he has ever learned to really read and react quickly, and he doesn't have the instincts of an LB. He doesn't make quick decisions, and he has absolutely no mean streak. This is more or less what he looked like in the... I can't remember if it was the Army AA game or the Under Armour AA game: A gifted physical specimen who just isn't physical enough at LB, and who doesn't see his reads quick enough. I *think* he was a WR coming out of high school.

Have said that so many times. Even if he did have the "brains" to play LB his instincts are horrible. Forgot who made this suggestion but he probably could've made a better impact at Safety.

He kind of reminds me of Mario Fanin on the offensive side. Fanin was a great athlete. Played QB in HS and RB in D1 college. Fumblitis was his eventual downfall, but you could tell by his straight up style of running, missing holes and taking some vicious hits that he never developed those RB instincts that he needed at this level.

Anyone know what Super Mario is doing these days? Great kid. Hope he has done well.

He kind of reminds me of Mario Fanin on the offensive side. Fanin was a great athlete. Played QB in HS and RB in D1 college. Fumblitis was his eventual downfall, but you could tell by his straight up style of running, missing holes and taking some vicious hits that he never developed those RB instincts that he needed at this level.

Anyone know what Super Mario is doing these days? Great kid. Hope he has done well.

He actually put out an R&B single recently. Not sure if he produced it himself or what.

He was with Denver for 2 years, but injured for much of that. He also dabbled in the CFL and FXFL, but has fallen off the map since the end of 2014.

He actually put out an R&B single recently. Not sure if he produced it himself or what.

I don't know why but I laughed. All he has to do is get drake to feature on it.....of course it would then be hate music....

When it comes to LB play I haven't seen much from anyone on the defensive side to give me the warm fuzzies. There is no doubt our offense has to score every time they have the ball because our defense cannot stop any offense. And I mean ANY offense. >:(

I don't know why but I laughed. All he has to do is get drake to feature on it.....of course it would then be hate music....

More like Hate-line Bling amirite

Damn....you beat me again because I admit....I laughed

Damn....you beat me again because I admit....I laughed

Same team! Same team! #cleareyesfullheartcantlose

I think a lot with Frost and McKenzie has to do with not being developed properly and having 3 different DC's with 3 completely different schemes. Not making excuses for them, but I think we will see a lot better LB play in the future with other guys.

Archived