As a whole, is this team getting better?

shabby

After realizing pretty quickly that Auburn was not going to live up to the pre season hype, I of course felt disappointment like everyone else. Obviously we were not a great or even a good team starting off. At that point, I changed my expectations to simply this: Seeing improvement from game to game. Would the defense improve? Would the offense improve. I think it's a mixed bag but as a whole, think Auburn is a much better team going into game 7 than game one. The offensive line and quarterback play has improved tremendously. The running game is improving. I think the defensive secondary is light years better than last year. Line play remains an issue.

If the reality was, we weren't nearly as good as we thought we were, then I think its a fair assessment of coaching to see if this team would improve throughout the year. Is this occurring? Can we compete with the remainder of teams on our schedule? where has there been the most growth? the least growth? Just interested in what others think of where this team stands in comparison to week 1.

Yes, this team is getting better. The least growth has been at linebacker, where both Garrett and Tre Williams have missed playing time because of injury. Next year should be better there.

Sure AU is getting better. The schedule is getting tougher though. All four of our remaining conference opponents show some pretty big weaknesses, can AU take avantage of them and execute better to beat them? We'll see on Saturday morning.

Yes they are better but the SEC teams left on the schedule (with the exception of LSU) are also better so it may not translate into wins. The four SEC teams left on our schedule are all better than MSU and Arky and we lost to both.

In my opinion on getting better:

QB - Yes

Special Teams - Yes

Secondary - Yes

WO - No and worse

LB - No

At D-line - No

Agree

wde

With a bounce here, good snap or a not-dropped pass there, our record is different. There's more to reading sports than stats. We regressed after the first game and started improving during Kentucky. I keep expecting us to put it together but when our pass rush is somewhat there, our o-line takes a game off; when we stop the penalty onslaught, we drop critical passes.

I'm not delusional I think when I suggest combining the best performance by each AU unit so far in 2015 into one game = a win over anybody on our remaining schedule.

Gutsy little QB is getting settled in. Yes

Special teams has been consistent all year. No

DBs, one in particular. Yes

Barber been a MAN all year. No

Absolutely rest of the team including COACHES. NO!!

QB - Yes

Special Teams - Yes

Secondary - Yes

WO - No and worse

LB - No

At D-line - No

Agree

wde

i think d-line did improve the last 2 games, just not enough.

After realizing pretty quickly that Auburn was not going to live up to the pre season hype, I of course felt disappointment like everyone else. Obviously we were not a great or even a good team starting off. At that point, I changed my expectations to simply this: Seeing improvement from game to game. Would the defense improve? Would the offense improve. I think it's a mixed bag but as a whole, think Auburn is a much better team going into game 7 than game one. The offensive line and quarterback play has improved tremendously. The running game is improving. I think the defensive secondary is light years better than last year. Line play remains an issue.

If the reality was, we weren't nearly as good as we thought we were, then I think its a fair assessment of coaching to see if this team would improve throughout the year. Is this occurring? Can we compete with the remainder of teams on our schedule? where has there been the most growth? the least growth? Just interested in what others think of where this team stands in comparison to week 1.

We will not see Auburn be blown out on any remaining games this year, I don't think. If AU plays in the Big Ten, we probably go 10-2. It's the league in which we play. Most SEC teams are pretty close to one another in how good they are. The team that is barely good enough ham all the others is usually the one that goes undefeated. There rarely ever seems to be a huge divide between ability/talent other than LSU TO Vanderbilt. We may lose a lot of upcoming games, but we'll be in them until the end. I still hold out that there are wins left for this team. Especially in Jordan-Hare, Auburn has a real chance to finish with only 4 losses, especially if we begin by beating Ole Miss. I think the A&M game is a longshot to win, but then UGA is a very winnable game, and Bama is always winnable, don't care who you are. I know, I know we got beat by Arkansas and gave up 54 to Bert and Co. And I know hat stings and it really sucks, but the offense did well when they had to. Defense is bad, but defense has been bad for years. With some lucky bounces/ random defensive stops here and there, games could go our way. Keep supporting these guys, they're fighting it out for AU.

I would agree with most that has been said. I would say the DL has improved some over the last few games.

To me the biggest concerns on the team are at LB and DE. Our DEs keep losing contain, which has really hurt us.

WRs obviously were a let down this past game, but I would say it is more a question of inconsistency there then out and out weakness.

Yes, this team is getting better. The least growth has been at linebacker, where both Garrett and Tre Williams have missed playing time because of injury. Next year should be better there.

I agree with Mikey but I also have a question of Mikey. I know they have been trying Holland out at Buck but why haven't they also given him a shot at LB. I know he has pass rushing skills but in HS he was a true linebacker and I think would be an improvement over Frost.

Definitely getting better, definitely still frustrating to watch though.

Perhaps in some ways, but that last drive with only half a minute to kick that gave-tying FG was as good as anything AU has done lately. People can't convince me that they weren't on the edge of their seats watching that drive....and anyone who did not scream War Eagle when the ball went through the goal post does not have a pulse. ....same goes for that drive when Barber ripped off those three bursts.

Overall that was an exciting game on the road against a team that needed the win as much as we did. Nobody gave up....they made mistakes but I never felt that anyone was giving it less than 100%, You can be frustrated over lack of results I guess...but I'm proud of their efforts....all of them.

Holland played almost exclusively at LB against Arkansas. The only guys I saw in a "Buck" position (standup DEs) were Cass and Kennion. Otherwise, we played Lambert, President, and Cowart with their hand in the ground exclusively. I never saw Holland in a pass rush role or as the fourth man in a four-man front.

If we are getting better, then we should not have lost to an Arkansas team that was 2-4 overall and 1-3 in conference play.

i we played like we did vs SJS, Arky beats us 50 points.

If we are getting better, then we should not have lost to an Arkansas team that was 2-4 overall and 1-3 in conference play.

Lol well that was totally predictable. If you can't see that we have improved as an offense, then there's not much hope for you. Sure there are still deficiencies, but we've basically had to hit the reset button midseason due to JJ not being what we thought he was. Considering our RS freshman QB has played pretty darn well on the road in 2 SEC games gives hope. The defense is certainly not up to par but i'm willing to give Muschamp another year or 2 to get his type of player in. I think everyone expected too much from this defense based purely on his reputation.

QB - Yes

Special Teams - Yes

Secondary - Yes

WO - No and worse

LB - No

At D-line - No

Agree

wde

Agree...but here is my question...

does the fact QB has gotten better 1) matter? if we are recruiting a JUCO will we not be "starting over"?

2) when we say better we are comparing to #6...so better is almost impossible to NOT do...

How many TD passes has #13 tossed?

One aspect get better and another gets worse. No aspect has shown consistent improvement from week to week.

The mos aggravating thing about it all is that these coaches had to know this team stnk going into the season...and did nothing to correct anything. they knew we didn't have a QB yet kept insisting on starting JJ anyway. They knew we didn't have a pass rush yet kept depending on Carl Lawson as if he was the ONLY person on the D team...knowing he was obviously injury prone.

They had 9 months to put together a decent team out of what they had to work with, yet came up with a dud...KNOWING they had a dud on their hands.

I find that unacceptable, particularly in light of the tremendous amount of money they're getting paid. Frankly I'm reminded of Tubs taking millions of $$ to go duck hunting during recruiting season. If you're not going to do the job, go ahead and quit officially. Don't quit working for Auburn and still sit on the payroll. And that goes for Jay Jacobs too. He should be the first to go. He obviously knows nothing about how to find a good coach...in any sport (though I wouldn't give up on Pearl after only one season).

QB - Yes

Special Teams - Yes

Secondary - Yes

WO - No and worse

LB - No

At D-line - No

Agree

wde

does the fact QB has gotten better 1) matter? if we are recruiting a JUCO will we not be "starting over"?

2) when we say better we are comparing to #6...so better is almost impossible to NOT do...

How many passes has he thrown on the money that were dropped? Just in the Rkansas game it approached double digits.

QB - Yes

Special Teams - Yes

Secondary - Yes

WO - No and worse

LB - No

At D-line - No

Agree

wde

So (1) a JUCO is guaranteed to beat out an incredibly accurate and tough qb that makes good decisions?

And (2) the only reason we are better at qb is because of who was qb before?

You must be the guy that only looks at stats and doesn't realize that SW, without dropped passes, would have been 30-32 (a 93 percent completion rate) with over 300 yards. No real improvement there........

QB - Yes

Special Teams - Yes

Secondary - Yes

WO - No and worse

LB - No

At D-line - No

Agree

wde

NewDay, the fact that the QB position has gotten better does matter, to the team. It sounds like you have given up on this season and the fact that we have offered a JUCO does not guarantee he will come in and start. The JUCO has an offer from Auburn and Buffalo, he may get others, but right now he is a 6' 183 lbs DT QB that will be able to compete for the position in the Spring, but no more. The last JUCO DT QB we signed competed for the position and within a week he changed positions to WR.

If you can not see how #13 has energized the offense sense he has been at the helm, you haven't paid attention. The TD pass thing is a little disingenuous, as he has been replaced by the wildcat in the red zone during the UK game and had two dropped in the Ark game. The play calling has been run heavy in the red zone all year.

It will be interesting to see how the offense does in the next few games against tougher SEC defenses.

Archived