On other minimum wage news

cooltigger21

Seattle is not doing so hot after raising the minimum wage there. In the state of Washington restaurant jobs havr increased by nearly 6,000. In Seattle they have lost 700. http://dailycaller.com/2015/10/24/report-seattle-wage-hike-off-to-pretty-bad-start-kills-700-jobs/

We always talk about what the employee is owed. We never hear anyone say anything about improving yourself and acquiring skills that will land you a netter job. Minimum wage jobs are not meant for supporting yourself or a family. These are first jobs for teenagers and college kids. They are 2nd incomes for a family. They don't pay a lot because they don't require a lot of skill. The trades like welders are begging for people. Trucking companies have a huge shortage. Companies will reimburse your tuition or even just bring you in as a trainee. You can earn while learning a skill that will pay excellent money.

We always talk about what the employee is owed. We never hear anyone say anything about improving yourself and acquiring skills that will land you a netter job. Minimum wage jobs are not meant for supporting yourself or a family. These are first jobs for teenagers and college kids. They are 2nd incomes for a family. They don't pay a lot because they don't require a lot of skill. The trades like welders are begging for people. Trucking companies have a huge shortage. Companies will reimburse your tuition or even just bring you in as a trainee. You can earn while learning a skill that will pay excellent money.

We just had stats come out showing that 51% of American workers make less than $30,000. Could it be that simply improving one's skills isn't enough to get you to the next level of jobs because there aren't enough of those kinds of jobs to go around?

And what's wrong with saying that in a country this prosperous, a person who puts in at least 40 hours a week should be able to take care of basic needs, have decent health care and not be on a half dozen gov't programs to make ends meet?

Jobs that pay fairly well to very well:

Banking, Aeronautical, Medical (Everything form nursing to equipment repair engineering etc...) Insurance industry, Nursing Home Care and Admin (Degree people) Defense Industry, Govt Civil Service, Educated people in Legal and the Courts and the Local, City, State and Federal Courts, State Civil Service, Mortgage Brokers, Successful Realestate Sales plus their managers etc... Automotive industry, Aircraft industry, Space Industry, Just about any and all Engineers, motor cycle Industry, Boat and Personal Water Craft Industry, Recreational Vehicle Industry, Paper Mills (again the educated managers especially but not only) Construction contractors/owners and their managers, Successful Small Business Owners, Computer Industry, Software Industry, Cell Phone Industry, Cable TV, Satellite TV Industry, Entertainment Industry, Sports Marketing, Sports Management, Sports Medicine OK I'll stop.

Jobs that don't pay well:

Fastfood

I'm not a heartless bastard. St the same time I know that this living wage bus is hong to hurt more than it helps. You're going to price 1st job seekers out of the market. Nobody is going to hire an 18 year old for their 1st job at $15/hr. So where do they go to learn work skills that they can use elsewhere? Young black people will be hurt the worst.

I'm more focused on curing the disease rather than just easing the symptoms. We have an administration that is hostile to businesses and anti growth.. Between obamacare and heavy regulation from government agencies like EPA we're driving up thr cost of business and now you want to add more costs onto their already strained back. Not every business can afford this. Your mom and pop outfits aren't loaded with cash just laying around. We need pro growth policies coming from Washington. We're not going to get that from any Democrat and few of the Republicans will either.

Banking, Aeronautical, Medical (Everything form nursing to equipment repair engineering etc...) Insurance industry, Nursing Home Care and Admin (Degree people) Defense Industry, Govt Civil Service, Educated people in Legal and the Courts and the Local, City, State and Federal Courts, State Civil Service, Mortgage Brokers, Successful Realestate Sales plus their managers etc... Automotive industry, Aircraft industry, Space Industry, Just about any and all Engineers, motor cycle Industry, Boat and Personal Water Craft Industry, Recreational Vehicle Industry, Paper Mills (again the educated managers especially but not only) Construction contractors/owners and their managers, Successful Small Business Owners, Computer Industry, Software Industry, Cell Phone Industry, Cable TV, Satellite TV Industry, Entertainment Industry, Sports Marketing, Sports Management, Sports Medicine OK I'll stop.

Fastfood

And at the same time there are far more retail, restaurant, fast food and other low paying jobs out there in most places than there are any of those.

I'm not a heartless bastard. St the same time I know that this living wage bus is hong to hurt more than it helps. You're going to price 1st job seekers out of the market. Nobody is going to hire an 18 year old for their 1st job at $15/hr. So where do they go to learn work skills that they can use elsewhere? Young black people will be hurt the worst.

I'm more focused on curing the disease rather than just easing the symptoms. We have an administration that is hostile to businesses and anti growth.. Between obamacare and heavy regulation from government agencies like EPA we're driving up thr cost of business and now you want to add more costs onto their already strained back. Not every business can afford this. Your mom and pop outfits aren't loaded with cash just laying around. We need pro growth policies coming from Washington. We're not going to get that from any Democrat and few of the Republicans will either.

We've already run them out of the market because we've shipped all our decent paying jobs elsewhere in our quest to have everything as cheap as possible. You take away good paying middle class jobs from adults and many of them will end up dropping down and taking the jobs as Costco and Publix and other places. Those businesses will hire them over a 16 year old any day of the week because they can work longer hours and are more reliable because it's not spending money for them, it's survival.

Pro-growth to Republicans unfortunately has been more about growing the bank accounts of people at the top while the rest struggle just to keep up with the rate of inflation. Real wage growth is stagnant or going backwards while the richest continue to amass enough money to buy a third-world country of their own. Something is off and it's not just those silly liberals' fault.

We've already run them out of the market because we've shipped all our decent paying jobs elsewhere in our quest to have everything as cheap as possible. You take away good paying middle class jobs from adults and many of them will end up dropping down and taking the jobs as Costco and Publix and other places. Those businesses will hire them over a 16 year old any day of the week because they can work longer hours and are more reliable because it's not spending money for them, it's survival.

Pro-growth to Republicans unfortunately has been more about growing the bank accounts of people at the top while the rest struggle just to keep up with the rate of inflation. Real wage growth is stagnant or going backwards while the richest continue to amass enough money to buy a third-world country of their own. Something is off and it's not just those silly liberals' fault.

Trump said that U.S. corporations would LOVE to bring jobs back to the USA. I believe it. It would not take much incentive to get back a middle class. Part of the problem is that if the government gives incentives to large corporations to manufacture things here then the liberals will scream that incentives are going to the rich. (and no I do not think it is only liberals who are indirectly encouraging U.S. companies to invest overseas)

I think Trump says a lot of things. Most of them aren't worth the coffee breath that accompanies them.

Wow! We just keep agreeing. I am not a Trump fan, but I believe that one thing that he said. He is certainly in a better position to know what corporate execs want to do than I am. Why wouldn't U.S. corporations rather manufacture things here as opposed to overseas if our government could make it financially viable? I am not sure we can continue to outsource jobs the way we have been.

Fastfood

And at the same time there are far more retail, restaurant, fast food and other low paying jobs out there in most places than there are any of those.

Titan, nothing personal. I enjoy reading what you write, especially on the football posts. It's not Rocket Science. If the best one can do is Fast Food and Retail (McDonalds starts their shift managers out around $10.50 to $14 per hour pending location etc...) work fast food and retail while going to school, or starting your own business etc...

I went to AU part time while working full time and part time (delivered pizza and bagged groceries) until my degree was finished.

The biggest problem is the policies of the central bankers. This has been going on for 30 or more years. Read David Stockman. He explains it very well. I never said it was all liberals fault. The establishment Republicans are just as guilty. A classic example is the deal Boehner just struck with Obama that effectively ends what little progress we had made to reigning in the federal government.

Most of your manufacturing is moving more and more to automation. We'll never see the heyday again. The pool of availlable labor is too high to see much increase in wages. The constant flow of unskilled labor from Central America doesn't help.. High corporate taxes play a role. Ever increasing regulation plays a role. These government agencies have no accountability so they just keep right on regardless of who is president.

Fastfood

Titan, nothing personal. I enjoy reading what you write, especially on the football posts. It's not Rocket Science. If the best one can do is Fast Food and Retail (McDonalds starts their shift managers out around $10.50 to $14 per hour pending location etc...) work fast food and retail while going to school, or starting your own business etc...

I went to AU part time while working full time and part time (delivered pizza and bagged groceries) until my degree was finished.

I think the issue is this: When you have a country where more than 51% of workers make less than $30,000, it should tell you there aren't enough of those better paying jobs to go around. It's not simply a matter of people being unwilling to get more training or education. We have a huge underemployment problem here (people qualified to be in better career fields that can't find work, so they take lower-skill/lower-paying jobs to make ends meet).

Fastfood

I think the issue is this: When you have a country where more than 51% of workers make less than $30,000, it should tell you there aren't enough of those better paying jobs to go around. It's not simply a matter of people being unwilling to get more training or education. We have a huge underemployment problem here (people qualified to be in better career fields that can't find work, so they take lower-skill/lower-paying jobs to make ends meet).

Probably explained best here: "The pool of available labor is too high to see much increase in wages. The constant flow of unskilled labor from Central America doesn't help.. High corporate taxes play a role. Ever increasing regulation plays a role".

They didn't all listen but I taught my kids to put yourselves in the position to be the ones offering the jobs not the ones begging for one. Education, training, small business etc... A good buddy of mine couldn't get into AU, flunked out of two community colleges, (he's a hard worker just not very book smart) so he went to work for a Paper Mill. Wanted more money so he started mowing grass. Long story short, he is now clearing over $25 G's per month in his own landscape business. He no longer works for the Paper Mill and he starts his help out at $11 per hour.

Archived