What becomes of Jeremy Johnson?

LKEEL75

I am curious what others think will become of Jeremy Johnson. At this rate it does not look like he will play much at all the rest of this year (of course baring injury to SW). The options that I see for him are:

• Stick around for his senior season to win the starting job back
  • Stick around for his senior season to ride the pine
  • Stick around for his senior season to swap to WR
  • Transfer to D II school to hopefully get some playing time and maybe get drafted
  • Transfer to another D I school and burn his RS to play in 2017

Personally I think he is in about the worst position he could be in. Transferring is tough at this point. Changing position to WR seems unlikely. It is going to be hard to take the starting job back during spring after losing it during the season. So it seems the most likely scenario is that he will stick around to ride the pine. Seems like a good kid, I wish his play had lived up to just half of the hype.

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He proly transfers. He could not cut it now he gotta live with that.

I think he either transfers to a lower division to play and (in his mind) get a look by the pros or he stays as backup and try's to win the job. I don't see a position change at all.

Never can tell about his plans outside of football either. Maybe he wants or needs to graduate from AU regardless of his football situation.

If Jeremy is a team player, he'll agree to play at WR or TE or anywhere to help his team. But if he plays the "I" game, he'll transfer.

Please, please, please, no more backup QBs switching to WR. My liquor cabinet is already emptying at 2012 rates. Put true WR in at WR.

Hate the situation the boy is in, but I believe he will get the advice he needs to make the right decision.

Seems like he should transfer if he wants to play football again. I respect the way he has kept his head up throughout it all. Seems like a class young man. What really were his chances of ever having a pro career as a qb. Probably best to get that degree and get on with his life.

Please, please, please, no more backup QBs switching to WR. My liquor cabinet is already emptying at 2012 rates. Put true WR in at WR.

Amen to that. As for JJ...IMO he's best to transfer...the guy has the skill / talent to play college football. He's probably already last weeks news at AU however.

IMO he was failed by the AU coaching staff who did not improve him as QB during the three years he has been on campus. He's not going to get better sitting on the bench ....and under different conditions (another school) he might get back on the field and still have a shot (though a long one) at an NFL job.

All I will say, is if he gets a grip on whatever mental issues he has then there might be an tOSU style quarterback race. I dare say, if he gains his confidence back would 2016 Auburn take a look at running 2 QBs? But this is all just conjecture at this point

Probably should wait until we play some real defenses before he's gone....

Not sayin' he should pack up tomorrow...but barring injury to SW, JJ is probably done. Gus won't even share time with RBs so can't imagine he will split time with QBs.

JJ seems like a good guy but IMO he's done at AU....which I hate.....he sure looked like the real deal but so did a bunch of other guys over the years who came with credentials but just never were able to take over the job.

All I will say, is if he gets a grip on whatever mental issues he has then there might be an tOSU style quarterback race. I dare say, if he gains his confidence back would 2016 Auburn take a look at running 2 QBs? But this is all just conjecture at this point

I think that ship has sailed personally. The kids problems didn't look like a quick fix to me. It looked like he was blatantly throwing to the other team.

My best guess is that if Sean continues to play well and we sign Woody Barrett and one of the hotshot JUCO guys we're looking at (Franklin or Evans), Jeremy will look to transfer and see if he can start somewhere else. Might mean having to transfer down to the FCS level if he wants to go right away next year.

I could be wrong. Maybe he loves being here and wants to give it every shot to win the job. But it would be hard for me to imagine he is content to be the back up his senior season.

Probably transfers.With the way Sean is playing why would we sign a juco qb?

We are one brutal sack away from needing another QB.....which means that for now, JJ has a reasonable chance to play again this year if you consider how many teams are now on their 2nd or 3rd QB before the season is even over.

But most coaches say that a player will never lose his job (permanently) because he gets injured. ......still gotta have a back-up plan though and ready to go with about minutes advance notice.

Probably transfers.With the way Sean is playing why would we sign a juco qb?

We might not. We've offered one so far, but he hasn't committed and that could be because we told him it's not a committable offer yet. We may offer a second one. But I imagine the final decision will hinge on how Sean does the rest of the way. It does appear that all the QBs we are looking in HS or JUCO are genuine dual-threat types though if that gives any indication as to Gus/Rhett's thinking.

My best guess is that if Sean continues to play well and we sign Woody Barrett and one of the hotshot JUCO guys we're looking at (Franklin or Evans), Jeremy will look to transfer and see if he can start somewhere else. Might mean having to transfer down to the FCS level if he wants to go right away next year.

I could be wrong. Maybe he loves being here and wants to give it every shot to win the job. But it would be hard for me to imagine he is content to be the back up his senior season.

Another tough spot to find himself in....

I appreciate his leadership and would like to see him stick around and try and find a spot. I can't believe he would not be given every opportunity to exceed.

Sure am glad at 20 I was not faced with these type decisions... I did poor enough in choices without this sorta pressure.

Best to JJ

Probably should wait until we play some real defenses before he's gone....

Not sayin' he should pack up tomorrow...but barring injury to SW, JJ is probably done. Gus won't even share time with RBs so can't imagine he will split time with QBs.

JJ seems like a good guy but IMO he's done at AU....which I hate.....he sure looked like the real deal but so did a bunch of other guys over the years who came with credentials but just never were able to take over the job.

Yeah I get you're opinion. But like I said until SW plays against somebody big time if I was JJ that's what I would be waiting to see. Like I said in that thread everybody was mad about people didn't see the problems with the team until SW was qb. The team well at least the o line is improving now getting better that has helped but that time he had the last two games he won't have these games coming up. Of course everybody here is crowning him because of hope but truth is so far he's shown he can manage a team when everybody is doing their jobs, the coaches are still waiting to see if he's the guy as well. You have to look at the small things to read the big picture. This last game is the first game they let him just play. This next game will be the first game they will ask him to put the team on his shoulders and carry us imo

I personally hopes he transfers to a very relevant D2 school, lights it up, and gets drafted. Doesn't make much sense to come back at this point (offensive line and receivers will be even younger, defense doesn't look like it's gonna be mediocre any time soon). Unlike prior guys who just sit on the bench or move to receivers, Jeremy actually still does have upside, and there's tons of offenses out there in college that have GOOD QB coaches and GOOD offenses.

If he goes somewhere he should try to graduate early and go to Oregon or somewhere like that. Keep him away from Michigan though....

I personally hopes he transfers to a very relevant D2 school, lights it up, and gets drafted. Doesn't make much sense to come back at this point (offensive line and receivers will be even younger, defense doesn't look like it's gonna be mediocre any time soon). Unlike prior guys who just sit on the bench or move to receivers, Jeremy actually still does have upside, and there's tons of offenses out there in college that have GOOD QB coaches and GOOD offenses.

I think the future AU situation is better than you describe but as for the comment noted in red above:

He probably does have an upside although with only a year (or 2?) left to play I think you are overly optimistic about the number of places that might bring in a last minute outsider unless there are "issues" at QB. It would be good if he could find one of them. .

Meanwhile, don't write him off at AU until we make it through the season without and injury. He never knows when he's going to be needed....and I hope he is ready for it.

Archived