Russian Military Base--Too Close for Comfort

Proud Tiger

While we are focused on what Russia is doing in other parts of the world, they will now have a big military base 300 miles from U.S. soil. And they are building their fleet in the area. Scary.

http://www.allenbwest.com/2015/10/sarah-palin-was-right-look-where-russia-is-building-a-huge-military-base/

Just saw a report on CBS about the Chinese bases in the ocean, on man made islands. Quite the massive construction effort, to gain China control of shipping lanes and natural resources in the area.

Just saw a report on CBS about the Chinese bases in the ocean, on man made islands. Quite the massive construction effort, to gain China control of shipping lanes and natural resources in the area.

Looks like both Russia and China have long range strategic plans. If we have one I don't have a clue what it is.

Looks like both Russia and China have long range strategic plans. If we have one I don't have a clue what it is.

Squidwardheaddesk_zps54088388.gif

yeah, it is frustrating to see Russia and China pushing ahead w/ out a care in the world, as Obama poses for selfies and tries to tell anyone who'll listen that it's all good.

yeah, it is frustrating to see Russia and China pushing ahead w/ out a care in the world, as Obama poses for selfies and tries to tell anyone who'll listen that it's all good.

military-west-pacific.jpg

Just so we're clear, USN is proposing that China be allowed to make artificial islands for the explicit purpose of grabbing rights to underwater natural resources and control shipping lanes, as it attempts to expand its territorial waters.

Roger that.

Just so we're clear, USN is proposing that China be allowed to make artificial islands for the explicit purpose of grabbing rights to underwater natural resources and control shipping lanes, as it attempts to expand its territorial waters.

Roger that.

You are anything but clear. You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Zero. You are a mental light weight in this arena. Nice try though. Maybe Rush will help you out tomorrow.

Roger that.

You are anything but clear. You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Zero. You are a mental light weight in this arena. Nice try though. Maybe Rush will help you out tomorrow.

Aside from attempting to insult me, which you failed, hilariously, this is an actual issue, and yes, I DO know what I'm talking about.

Thanks for showing a pic of your boat and your duty. But as is your MO you respond off topic with a cartoon. Do you know what our long range strategy is?

Thank God Allen West and his crew of neoconservative, bloodlusting lunatics weren't in power during the Cold War. And may the God of the Universe keep them from power at any point in the near future. Thousands if not millions of lives depend on it.

Thanks for showing a pic of your boat and your duty. But as is your MO you respond off topic with a cartoon. Do you know what our long range strategy is?

http://www.jcs.mil/P...ry_Strategy.pdf

"We support China’s rise and encourage it to become a partner for greater international security. However, China’s actions are adding tension to the Asia-Pacific region. For example, its claims to nearly the entire South China Sea are inconsistent with international law. The international community continues to call on China to settle such issues cooperatively and without coercion. China has responded with aggressive land reclamation efforts that will allow it to position military forces astride vital international sea lanes. None of these nations are believed to be seeking direct military conflict with the United States or our allies. Nonetheless, they each pose serious security concerns which the international community is working to collectively address by way of common policies, shared messages, and coordinated action."

I think all this proves is that the Cold War paranoias of the extreme Right are alive and well. Did anyone actually read the opening link?

Russia has built a gigantic base they’re calling the “Arctic Trefoil.” With 14,000 square meters of space it can house up to 150 soldiers for up to 18 months. That’s …large. So much space will allow troops to move freely without stepping outside into weather which can reach deadly cold temperatures.

Last month I reported on Putin’s aggressive expansion of his fleet of Polar-class heavy ice-breaker ships in the Arctic region. Russia now has 41 such ships, 6 of them nuclear powered, compared to Obama’s America with our paltry fleet of two (one functional) and no money budgeted for the construction of any more. And now this.

A "gigantic" base...at only 14,000 square meters? Lebron James' house is over twice that size! (See #122 on this list: https://en.wikipedia...e_United_States ) And squeezing 150 soldiers into that space gives them an average of 93 sq. ft each. That's only 9 x 10 ft per person, or less than a third what a family of four living in a very modest 1200 sq. ft. house shares.

Are 150 soldiers supposed to be a threat? ...when we have thousands in Alaska, and tens of thousands on Asia's doorstep as AUUSN' graphic shows? If 150 personnel represent imperial ambitions on the Arctic Ocean, I guess our 200 troops in Darwin, Australia signal our intent to conquer that continent and all of southeast Asia.

Finally, as for the "icebreaker gap": Given that Russia's Arctic coast line far exceeds ours, I would expect them to have far greater commercial need for icebreakers. What possible reason would we have to try to match them ship for ship in the icebreaker department? They probably have many, many more balalaikas than us, too! But I bet we overwhelm them in the strategic swamp fanboat and desert dune buggy categories.

For me, the first four words of the headline, "Sarah Palin was right", are sufficient to illustrate the idiocy of the paranoia behind this article.

-----------------------

Edit/correction: It just hit me that I confused square meters in the article with sq. ft. in referencing American homes, a big boo-boo obviously. My apologies.

Thankfully it's not like I was trying to land a probe on Mars (http://www.cnn.com/TECH/space/9909/30/mars.metric.02/ ) or anything. But I don't think my error detracts from the point that a mere 150 soldiers on Russian home territory is nothing to panic over...

Roger that.

Beat me to it. :rolleyes:

(And it sounds like he is only now learning about this Chinese man-made island. :rolleyes: )

Finally, as for the "icebreaker gap": Given that Russia's Arctic coast line far exceeds ours, I would expect them to have far greater commercial need for icebreakers. What possible reason would we have to try to match them ship for ship in the icebreaker department? They probably have many, many more balalaikas than us, too! But I bet we overwhelm them in the strategic swamp fanboat and desert dune buggy categories. For me, the first four words of the headline, "Sarah Palin was right", are sufficient to illustrate the idiocy of the paranoia behind this article.

:laugh:

Archived