Deputy Fields did nothing wrong, imo.

AURaptor

So damn what if she was someone's daughter ? She still got what she deserved.

Being the daughter of someone doesn't give her a free pass to act as she did, to disrespect the teacher, assistant principle, the cop, adults in general like that. If she's " bummed " at the world or having a crappy day, fine., get the hell out of the class room and go home. Go to in house detention, the counselor, what ever. She doesn't have the right to demand SPECIAL attention from half the damn school and take up class time for all the others in there who may actually want to learn.

Yeah! s*** stomp on the little girl! She deserved it!

****! What in the heck wrong with people today?

he didn't stomp her he removed her like he was asked.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the video, the officer announces to the girl that she needs to get up or he would make her get up. She does not get up. Then the officer grabbed her to get her out of the desk. That is when she hit him in the neck. He then pulled on her much harder and turned the desk over and then pulled her out and threw her across the room.

He absolutely should not have thrown her across the room and should be reprimanded for that to some extent. The teenager physically struck a police officer. She should certainly be reprimanded for that to some extent.

Being the daughter of someone doesn't give her a free pass to act as she did, to disrespect the teacher, assistant principle, the cop, adults in general like that. If she's " bummed " at the world or having a crappy day, fine., get the hell out of the class room and go home. Go to in house detention, the counselor, what ever. She doesn't have the right to demand SPECIAL attention from half the damn school and take up class time for all the others in there who may actually want to learn.

I agree. Why didn't he tase her and then at least use his baton on her skull a few dozen times, right ?

<_<

There was no bleep stomping, what so ever. SHE started this, he ended it.

Seriously, grow a freakin' spine.

I get the part of everyone that wants to smack the little brat upside the head. She's being stubborn, selfish and disobedient to every authority figure in the school.

But a skilled officer could have made some efforts to defuse things first. Try to talk to her and see if she'll step outside and tell you her version of things. Rather than yell, or demand, or coerce, just try to reason with her and come alongside her first.

It may eventually get to a point where she has to be forcibly removed. But even then, there's no need to fling her across the floor like a rag doll. She wasn't being loud. She wasn't threatening anyone or being violent. Just because a kid has a rotten attitude, that doesn't mean anything goes and you can go WWE on her.

If force was needed, then he used the appropriate level needed. I think flipping the chair and then dragging her off like that was masterful, and while it looked excessive, actually put her in a submissive position and allowed him to remove her w/ the least amount of arm swinging and kicking ( on her part )

I get the part of everyone that wants to smack the little brat upside the head. She's being stubborn, selfish and disobedient to every authority figure in the school.

But a skilled officer could have made some efforts to defuse things first. Try to talk to her and see if she'll step outside and tell you her version of things. Rather than yell, or demand, or coerce, just try to reason with her and come alongside her first.

It may eventually get to a point where she has to be forcibly removed. But even then, there's no need to fling her across the floor like a rag doll. She wasn't being loud. She wasn't threatening anyone or being violent. Just because a kid has a rotten attitude, that doesn't mean anything goes and you can go WWE on her.

Do we know yet what attempts were made to talk her into cooperating?

In the video, the officer announces to the girl that she needs to get up or he would make her get up. She does not get up. Then the officer grabbed her to get her out of the desk. That is when she hit him in the neck. He then pulled on her much harder and turned the desk over and then pulled her out and threw her across the room.

He absolutely should not have thrown her across the room and should be reprimanded for that to some extent. The teenager physically struck a police officer. She should certainly be reprimanded for that to some extent.

She was flailing at him after he grabbed her and was pulling her over. He barely felt that. That doesn't give him any cover whatsoever.

Do we know yet what attempts were made to talk her into cooperating?

No one so far, including the sheriff's dept is saying that he did anything beyond what you see in that video, which was to order her to come out of the classroom.

Also, FWIW, this officer has been subject to at least a couple of lawsuits for use of excessive force already. It's not as if he's some gentle persuader that got pushed to the limit.

If force was needed, then he used the appropriate level needed. I think flipping the chair and then dragging her off like that was masterful, and while it looked excessive, actually put her in a submissive position and allowed him to remove her w/ the least amount of arm swinging and kicking ( on her part )

Most abusers find that if you smack a woman hard enough and often enough, it puts them in a submissive position too.

That was not an appropriate amount of force for a kid that is not being violent or a danger to anyone around her. You've lost your effin' mind.

She was flailing at him after he grabbed her and was pulling her over. He barely felt that. That doesn't give him any cover whatsoever.

So you are saying that her committing the criminal act of striking a police officer does not change the situation? If he was acting as a police officer then she would be facing felony assault charges.

So you are saying that her committing the criminal act of striking a police officer does not change the situation? If he was acting as a police officer then she would be facing felony assault charges.

I don't think it changes the fact that he wrongly initiated contact with excessive force. To expect anyone to just passively take that without any resistance is expecting a bit much, especially if it's a kid.

If you walk up grab me and try to throw me to the ground and in the struggle I deliver an elbow to your nose, no reasonable person is going to fault me for reacting like that. And she didn't do anything close to actually hitting or harming him.

He used needlessly excessive force. Why people find this justifiable is a mystery to me.

I don't think it changes the fact that he wrongly initiated contact with excessive force. To expect anyone to just passively take that without any resistance is expecting a bit much, especially if it's a kid.

If you walk up grab me and try to throw me to the ground and in the struggle I deliver an elbow to your nose, no reasonable person is going to fault me for reacting like that. And she didn't do anything close to actually hitting or harming him.

Did you watch the video? He stated calmly that if she did not get up that he would force her to get up. He stepped behind her and put his arm around her and started to lift her up. He did not INITIATE contact with excessive force. He used excessive force after she struck him. Do I think she hurt him? Not even a little bit. Do I think that he lost his composure and used excessive force after she hit him and would not let go of the desk? Absolutely. I don't justify his throwing her across the room, but, as usual, the solution for this is for the criminal to comply with the request of the police officer.

...criminal...

:no:/>

Hey, I don't make the laws. She struck a deputy. (I was incorrect earlier when I said police officer). I suppose you agree that the DOJ should investigate this?

Did you watch the video? He stated calmly that if she did not get up that he would force her to get up. He stepped behind her and put his arm around her and started to lift her up. He did not INITIATE contact with excessive force. He used excessive force after she struck him. Do I think she hurt him? Not even a little bit. Do I think that he lost his composure and used excessive force after she hit him and would not let go of the desk? Absolutely. I don't justify his throwing her across the room, but, as usual, the solution for this is for the criminal to comply with the request of the police officer.

Yes, I watched it. It wasn't necessary to immediately go for pulling her out of the seat. A calmer, more reasonable and mature officer could have defused that situation better or at least tried. He lost his composure and I don't think for a second it was because of any glancing hit. It was because the little mother****** was resisting him and he didn't like it and he was going to show her a thing or two.

He used needlessly excessive force. Why people find this justifiable is a mystery to me.

Me either. Even when I understand why an officer might be frustrated. Or I know that you may eventually have to use some degree of force to remove her from the class. It's just not justifiable to do what he did. And it was terrible judgment to go from one statement to putting his hands on her. It shows a lack of prudence and maturity.

Unless a student is being threatening or violent then police shouldn't have have to be involved. Not all cops are perfect and I don't want cops handling things that principals/teachers/counselors/parents should be handling. It's not worth the risk because in cases like this, you might have a bad cop handling it.

If the cop is terminated from his job, so be it. Too bad the cop is likely the only one that's going to face any repurcussions in all this.

I think that they should have called a negotiator or a psychologist to come and reason with the girl. They could clear the school and stop classes until the girl gets enough self-esteem to "feel" like doing what the administration wants. She could get AP credit in Government and in psychology for getting first-hand experience in these areas.

I think that they should have called a negotiator or a psychologist to come and reason with the girl. They could clear the school and stop classes until the girl gets enough self-esteem to "feel" like doing what the administration wants. She could get AP credit in Government and in psychology for getting first-hand experience in these areas.

Yes, because in saying that the officer overreacted and handled it poorly, we definitely mean that we should have called in the flower children and sang hippie protest songs together.

Wouldn't be the politics forum if someone couldn't resort to false dilemmas and binary thinking.

*cough* guidance counseler's job *cough*

Nice reductio ad absurdum. Gues that means you're not planning on discussing this seriously anymore.

Yes, because in saying that the officer overreacted and handled it poorly, we definitely mean that we should have called in the flower children and sang hippie protest songs together.

Wouldn't be the politics forum if someone couldn't resort to false dilemmas and binary thinking.

I think that your criticism of my sarcasm is fair. I just think that we disagree STRONGLY as to how serious of a line she crossed when she struck a law officer. Nonetheless, I apologize for exaggerating. Believe it or not, I value the potential integrity of this forum.

I think that your criticism of my sarcasm is fair. I just think that we disagree STRONGLY as to how serious of a line she crossed when she struck a law officer. Nonetheless, I apologize for exaggerating. Believe it or not, I value the potential integrity of this forum.

Thanks for saying that.

Look, I don't have any sympathy for the little snot. But we've got to do better at handling these situations. I expect some punk-ass teenager with bad home training to act like that. I don't like it, but it is entirely predictable and understandable. I expect people in authority, especially those authorized to use force, to have cooler heads, be more mature and prudent and to be the ones that defuse rather than escalate situations. I don't think that's an unreasonable expectation to place on them. We grant them tremendous authority and even deadly weapons with much greater leeway to use it than the average citizen. Therefore, I expect them to be better at this stuff than the average citizen.

Thanks for saying that.

Look, I don't have any sympathy for the little snot. But we've got to do better at handling these situations. I expect some punk-ass teenager with bad home training to act like that. I don't like it, but it is entirely predictable and understandable. I expect people in authority, especially those authorized to use force, to have cooler heads, be more mature and prudent and to be the ones that defuse rather than escalate situations. I don't think that's an unreasonable expectation to place on them. We grant them tremendous authority and even deadly weapons with much greater leeway to use it than the average citizen. Therefore, I expect them to be better at this stuff than the average citizen.

I agree with you completely, but the fact that this deputy is now one of the most hated men in America when he probably never should have been called in the first place just really makes me sad. As I have said before, the person who is putting his/her life on the line to protect others ALWAYS gets the benefit of the doubt from me.

i wish the deputy had been more progressive in his use of force. (for that matter he may have the video was limited) at any rate he could have done better. the problem is not with him it is with her. she apparantly had no plans to comply with anyone. she caused this mess and might have got a little more than she deserved but SHE did it. she was being a pure s*** to every person who tried to handle it. she was disrespectful and hit the man. she didn't die, and if she was injured we would have heard by now. so the only problem for the school and the parents(if she has parents) is too find out why she was being a s***. SRO may just need to be asked to handle it a little different next time, but in no way disciplined.

Archived