Kasich Tells It Like It Is...

DKW 86

Health care is not a right,

It certainly shouldn't be a luxury. It's inhuman to act as if it's in the same category as a sports car or a nice flat screen.

I don't think it's that cut and dried. We already cover emergency care regardless of ability to pay. But ER care is most expensive care to provide and when you aren't giving preventive care, you cause even more expensive health problems down the road. So we already are in the realm of seeing health care to some degree as a right. Because we aren't monsters. The question now becomes whether we can do better and prevent more expensive care down the road by getting everyone covered.

A country this prosperous should not have medical bills as the number one cause of bankruptcy. Period. That is a country that is broken.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Titan, then where the hell does it end ?

Tax $ for food for all ? Tax $ for auto insurance for all ? Tax $ for Old Navy sweaters for all ?

Good grief.

What the hell is " health care " anyways ? It's when you get to go see a person, who has been educated to be a doctor or nurse. Time THEY spent, and money, to earn a degree. You have no right to demand that they see x number of people out of some arbitrary concept of ' fairness' .

The govt has no right to demand a portion of their lives be given for " the common good ".

Thus, healthcare is NOT a right. Period, end of story.

Tax $ for food for all ?

We already provide food for those who can't afford to put food on the table.

Tax $ for auto insurance for all ? Tax $ for Old Navy sweaters for all ?

Neither of these are necessities. It's rather imbecilic to equate auto insurance and sweaters to healthcare.

What the hell is " health care " anyways ? It's when you get to go see a person, who has been educated to be a doctor or nurse. Time THEY spent, and money, to earn a degree. You have no right to demand that they see x number of people out of some arbitrary concept of ' fairness' .

The govt has no right to demand a portion of their lives be given for " the common good ".

We aren't animals. To some degree, yes, we are our brother's keeper. Thus we try to do things that make sure people have their most basic needs met. Food, clothing and shelter have long been understood to be that. I don't think health is much of a stretch. Sweaters, cars, TVs are clearly not.

We spend money on a lot of frivolous things. This is not one of them.

Public Safety is a part of healthcare.....at least the first aid/emergency response portion of it. In my plan non life threatening emergencies would be attended too at a 24hr clinic and advanced care would be received at the ER.

It certainly shouldn't be a luxury. It's inhuman to act as if it's in the same category as a sports car or a nice flat screen.

I don't think it's that cut and dried. We already cover emergency care regardless of ability to pay. But ER care is most expensive care to provide and when you aren't giving preventive care, you cause even more expensive health problems down the road. So we already are in the realm of seeing health care to some degree as a right. Because we aren't monsters. The question now becomes whether we can do better and prevent more expensive care down the road by getting everyone covered.

A country this prosperous should not have medical bills as the number one cause of bankruptcy. Period. That is a country that is broken.

Well said.

Great points. Is a collective government the most efficient means to meet this "worthy" goal?

Great points. Is a collective government the most efficient means to meet this "worthy" goal?

I'm not sure what you mean by "collective government."

But I'm not necessarily saying that it has to be one particular way of accomplishing it over another. I'm just advocating that we make it happen and do so in a way that makes sense. The idea that it's not necessary and that healthcare should be treated as a luxury item for those who can afford it is unacceptable to me.

Tax $ for food for all ? Tax $ for auto insurance for all ? Tax $ for Old Navy sweaters for all ?

Good grief.

Avoiding discussion is a variation of avoiding reality.

But I'm not necessarily saying that it has to be one particular way of accomplishing it over another. I'm just advocating that we make it happen and do so in a way that makes sense. The idea that it's not necessary and that healthcare should be treated as a luxury item for those who can afford it is unacceptable to me.

I agree with your theory. I struggle with how to make it happen. Government programs have proven to be terribly inefficient at these endeavors. These programs collect/redistribute huge sums of money with small percentages of the money affecting any change in the problem. Would love to see your money and mine making a difference.

I agree with your theory. I struggle with how to make it happen. Government programs have proven to be terribly inefficient at these endeavors. These programs collect/redistribute huge sums of money with small percentages of the money affecting any change in the problem. Would love to see your money and mine making a difference.

That's not necessarily true. Medicare is far more efficient than the free market in their "medical loss ratio" (MLR).

That's not necessarily true. Medicare is far more efficient than the free market in their "medical loss ratio" MLR.

I will not waste time looking up facts to dispute your point. So one government program is efficient. Give me a second?

That's not necessarily true. Medicare is far more efficient than the free market in their "medical loss ratio" MLR.

I will not waste time looking up facts to dispute your point. So one government program is efficient. Give me a second?

Why should I provide more examples if you are going to just blow them off?

You shouldn't. The same reason I should not attempt to refute your facts. We both know we will not agree. The only way to win is to not play the game. I like that you recognize that.

I know Homer loves government. He's a liberal. That is what liberals do. Government is the answer to everything in their world. Some people like Titan like government too. They just have different things they want government to spend money on. They both have no objections to an ever growing government that spends more and more money We can afford it. 18 trillion dollars of debt is no problem.

You shouldn't. The same reason I should not attempt to refute your facts. We both know we will not agree. The only way to win is to not play the game. I like that you recognize that.

Well, you certainly seem to be the expert at "not playing the game". :-\

Perhaps you'd prefer talk radio, they never have to defend their arguments.

I know Homer loves government. He's a liberal. That is what liberals do. Government is the answer to everything in their world. Some people like Titan like government too. They just have different things they want government to spend money on. They both have no objections to an ever growing government that spends more and more money We can afford it. 18 trillion dollars of debt is no problem.

No you are wrong. Government is not the answer to "everything". But it's the logical solution to many problems that involve the entire country.

You need to free yourself from your dogma and take an objective perspective of reality.

What if we're already spending a certain amount of money, partly in taxes and partly out of our paychecks and we could change things in a way that allows us to cover everyone, catches health problems early before they become very expensive health problems, and is more cost efficient, thus saving us money in the long run? Wouldn't that be something worth striving to do?

Yeah, because why nominate the popular governor of a key swing state who cut taxes, was one of the main people responsible for the last federal balanced budget, took his state from deficits in to the black, and would appeal to independents when we can nominate some pelt-headed buffoon that will say anything no matter how stupid or an ideological purist that will get crushed in the general election?

But hey, we can say we won the primary!

This. He's the best qualified candidate on the GOP side, which is exactly why he won't be nominated.

Yeah, because why nominate the popular governor of a key swing state who cut taxes, was one of the main people responsible for the last federal balanced budget, took his state from deficits in to the black, and would appeal to independents when we can nominate some pelt-headed buffoon that will say anything no matter how stupid or an ideological purist that will get crushed in the general election?

This. He's the best qualified candidate on the GOP side, which is exactly why he won't be nominated.

This^^^^^ Which leaves us with another unqualified President of the United States.

This. He's (likely) the best qualified candidate on the GOP either side, which is exactly why he won't be nominated elected.

FTFY

Archived