2016 4* JUCO DE Paul James III (AU commit 11/22/15)

ellitor

Listing James as a LB gets interesting, because it could be a sign of how multiple our defense could be next year. For example:

Defense comes out showing a 4-2-5 Nickel look. Before the snap, the FS (Ford) shifts to a cover 1 look as the SS (Matthews) creeps to the line showing blitz. After the snap, the DE (James) shifts back into a LB role and suddenly we're a 3-3-5 defense with a blitzing safety. All of that motion could be confusing to the defense, but it would be more confusing to the offense.

This shifting becomes even more effective when defenses start accounting for it and playing off of it. For example, assume we take the same pre-snap alignment and shifts, but instead of the SS (Matthews) coming on the blitz, this time it's the Nickel on the other side and James stays in as a DE. Once you start doing things like this, it makes the OTs have to read and react, which can cause mistakes and sacks.

This all sounds great but for the last several years we have constantly heard from our DC that they have had to "dumb down" the defensive schemes. And here we are with yet another new DC with another new scheme. Why would we suddenly be able to implement something this complex?

I think it has a lot to do with the culture change brought about by Muschamp and Co. Don't forget that his defense, like Steele's, is pretty darn complicated. It relies on his players to be able to read what the offense is doing and make adjustments accordingly. That is one reason that our D struggled early on - it was a lot to learn and they weren't used to working that hard and having so much to learn and do. At the end of the year, once the culture had started to change and players got more used to the defense and having the responsibility of making the decisions, our defense played much better (see the Memphis game).

Going from Johnson's defense to Muschamp's defense was a lot bigger jump than going from Muschamp's to Steele's. As much as I didn't like the way that Muschamp left, I don't think anyone can deny the huge change that he brought to the defense, even if it didn't show up in the statistics.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At the end of the year, once the culture had started to change and players got more used to the defense and having the responsibility of making the decisions, our defense played much better (see the Memphis game).

Going from Johnson's defense to Muschamp's defense was a lot bigger jump than going from Muschamp's to Steele's. As much as I didn't like the way that Muschamp left, I don't think anyone can deny the huge change that he brought to the defense, even if it didn't show up in the statistics.

Agreed about the bowl game representing the culture change and I hope you're right about this upcoming transition. It's sure going well so far.

Agreed about the bowl game representing the culture change and I hope you're right about this upcoming transition. It's sure going well so far.

I hope so too, and from what I've seen with the players that we have coming in, I think our defense is definitely going in the right direction. I also think that the defensive staff that we have right now is just a hair below if not on par with the one we had with Muschamp. Love the Crime Dog hire and the T-Will hire, as well as keeping Garner.

Y'all realize we're going to be running a lot of two LB sets next year? Having 8 on roster is solid.

I thought Steele ran a 3-4?

Yes but we face a lot of 4 receiver sets which we will switch to 2 lbs for

Yes, but it is not the 4 receiver teams that we have been losing to every time recently. The teams that we HAVE to start winning against are LSU, Georgia and bama. And they are running wild over us.

Please post more, PastorChris. I've read several great posts from you already this morning.

Thanks for the kind words. But I usually just enjoy lurking!

The dumb down stuff pisses me off every time I I've heard a coach or reporter say players asked for that

What dumb down stuff?

wde

I hope so too, and from what I've seen with the players that we have coming in, I think our defense is definitely going in the right direction. I also think that the defensive staff that we have right now is just a hair below if not on par with the one we had with Muschamp. Love the Crime Dog hire and the T-Will hire, as well as keeping Garner.

Garner worked his butt off recruiting and he deserves huge props. He now needs to put the same effort and skill into on the field coaching. He has failed in that area since he was hired at AU. Hopefully. the flames under his butt that rekindled his recruiting mojo will also transform him into an above average DL coach on the field.

wde

The dumb down stuff pisses me off every time I I've heard a coach or reporter say players asked for that

What dumb down stuff?

wde

Players asking coaches to dumb down the play book

Where'd you see that?

Garner worked his butt off recruiting and he deserves huge props. He now needs to put the same effort and skill into on the field coaching. He has failed in that area since he was hired at AU. Hopefully. the flames under his butt that rekindled his recruiting mojo will also transform him into an above average DL coach on the field.

wde

There weren't any flames under his butt. Just because you dream this stuff up doesn't mean it's real.

Where'd you see that?

Ellis Johnson and muschamp said it while they coached here

The two plays your talking about don't have to be that complex actually...it can be something as simple as: 33 SafE right (33 SafE right ghost FLIP) of course you tag a coverage call on it. SafE = S(aftey)-A-F-E(nd) Combo. It can def be more complex tho.

Or even Zone blitz right...Zone right OVER(flips to oppo side.

Where'd you see that?

Ellis Johnson and muschamp said it while they coached here

BVG said the same thing and I think Roof even said it. It has been a reoccurring theme with AU for the last several years. I am with you cole. Every time I hear this it just makes my blood boil. I mean we are getting great athletes and they can't learn a system? There are many complex defenses in the country and I hardly ever hear it from another school. Maybe it has to do with the DC turnover rate, but man it makes my skin crawl.

Listing James as a LB gets interesting, because it could be a sign of how multiple our defense could be next year. For example:

Defense comes out showing a 4-2-5 Nickel look. Before the snap, the FS (Ford) shifts to a cover 1 look as the SS (Matthews) creeps to the line showing blitz. After the snap, the DE (James) shifts back into a LB role and suddenly we're a 3-3-5 defense with a blitzing safety. All of that motion could be confusing to the defense, but it would be more confusing to the offense.

This shifting becomes even more effective when defenses start accounting for it and playing off of it. For example, assume we take the same pre-snap alignment and shifts, but instead of the SS (Matthews) coming on the blitz, this time it's the Nickel on the other side and James stays in as a DE. Once you start doing things like this, it makes the OTs have to read and react, which can cause mistakes and sacks.

If you watch his signing day highlight film from AU on YouTube they list him as a linebacker there as well. It seems to be a trend.

I think it is mostly due to a lack of continuity in coaching, which I believe CGM said this hire would address that problem with Steele!! Not because the players are unintelligent.

wde

There weren't any flames under his butt. Just because you dream this stuff up doesn't mean it's real.

OK, you are probably right. RG will never be fired as long as Jay Jacobs is the AD. We can only hope he can be reassigned to another less critical on the field position than DL coach. However; should our DL (which is oozing with talent) play well in 2016 you can bet I will be happy to give RG credit. I want all of our coaches to be good coaches. I have no personal vendetta against any coach. I just want them to be good coaches. I give credit where it is due. RG recruited damn well this past season and the results were evident on Wednesday Now I want him to coach damn well and I want to see the results on Saturday next fall.

wde

"*James was one of the top JUCO defensive ends, but Auburn lists him as a linebacker in their tweet. That's an interesting footnote; particularly given Auburn only signing one true linebacker in this class."

Don't know if it means anything (could've been a typing error) but could be interesting.

edit: didn't see the post above addressing this. Just saw the article on it.

I don't know what position he will play,but I heard or read somewhere that he was signed to be a speed pass rusher.Maybe he will play a similar role to what Cass was playing at the end of the season.

If he can do the CAS role like CAS did at end of season with Lawson on the field and Adams we will have a dominate D-Line next year. Who do you double team? Whoops wrong choice.

If he can do the CAS role like CAS did at end of season with Lawson on the field and Adams we will have a dominate D-Line next year. Who do you double team? Whoops wrong choice.

I think we're going to see Lawrence explode this year, too. Dude's going to wreck some O lines.

a lot of people seem to be forgetting about Byron Cowart. Even though last season may have been frustrating for him, I think the speed of the game is going to slow down for him, and he, too, will be killing it in 2016. excited about the potential of this defense this year

Ease up on CRG. I seriously doubt there are very few if any SEC position coaches who can out recruit Rodney. I am happy with him being a solid position coach and a super elite recruiter. We can thank CRG for many of the highly regarded recruits he has brought to Auburn since Gus hired him. You know, the win over Memphis with the defense being salty and nasty had a lot to do with position coaches such as Garner, Travis Williams, and CLT.

I hope that Gus leaves CRG as the DL line coach for many seasons to come. Thanks Coach Garner for all you do for our team.

"*James was one of the top JUCO defensive ends, but Auburn lists him as a linebacker in their tweet. That's an interesting footnote; particularly given Auburn only signing one true linebacker in this class."

Don't know if it means anything (could've been a typing error) but could be interesting.

edit: didn't see the post above addressing this. Just saw the article on it.

I don't know what position he will play,but I heard or read somewhere that he was signed to be a speed pass rusher.Maybe he will play a similar role to what Cass was playing at the end of the season.

A 6-4 260 lb. linebacker with 4.5 speed is the recipe for disaster for opposing OLs.

I am extremely intrigued by the thought of him playing LB.

Most guys his size don't have the lateral quickness to play linebacker, other than some hybrid LB/DE positions such as Cass played the second half of last season.

Archived