Washington State HS Football Coach Put On Leave For Prayer On Field

MDM4AU

One of the big problems I have with this is he started doing this alone and students from his team and other teams began to join him on their own. Should he have to stop that because others decide to join him?

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015/10/29/theres-a-major-development-involving-the-defiant-football-coach-who-refuses-to-stop-praying-after-games/

They should have prayed to Mecca . Problem solved.

District would have put a stop to that in a hurry.

Should have let the Satanists give their invocation. Where's your spine, Bremerton High School!? :laugh:

I really don't " get " Satanists. I always have thought them as just a bunch of counter culture folks who enjoy rubbing people the wrong way, and use " Satan " as their means to tick off the stiff collared , uptight religious types. Ha-ha, yeah, real funny, but it seems they've actually bought into the charade they're playing.

Only, I have no gorram clue what their deal is. It's one thing to SAY you praise Satan, as a means of annoying / scaring the knickers off of Christians, but c'mon... joke's not THAT funny. How'd they come to take themselves so damn seriously ?

I just don't get it.

:gofig:

They should have prayed to Mecca . Problem solved.

District would have put a stop to that in a hurry.

Should have let the Satanists give their invocation. Where's your spine, Bremerton High School!? :laugh:/>

Thing is, this isn't an invocation or prayer over the PA or anything like that. This started out as just his personal thing - by himself. No different than the guy that listens to certain music to get ready for a game. People began to join him in their own. To tell him he only had his freedom of religion if he avoids everyone else is a bit ridiculous. I guess he should move to the 30 yard line if someone joins him. Then the locker room if someone joins him there. Then his car...then his own home. Can't have this open profession of faith. Might offend someone.

I guess we are no longer "one nation under God,indivisible......"

I'd be cool if we took out the one nation under god.

That being said, seems to me this dude has every right to pray by himself, and students/players have every right to join in if they wish. Hope this crap is overturned and he gets to get back on the field.

I guess we are no longer "one nation under God,indivisible......"

I'd be cool if we took out the one nation under god.

That being said, seems to me this dude has every right to pray by himself, and students/players have every right to join in if they wish. Hope this crap is overturned and he gets to get back on the field.

I think you are right Mims. We need to quit lying. We are a divided nation that does not profess to be under God. It would be MUCH more honest to leave out "one nation" and "under God" and "indivisible" and "with liberty and justice for all." Heck, why do we even have a pledge of allegiance to anything other than to ourselves?

It's more that I don't like that we made all these christian changes during the cold war simply because we thought the commies were all atheists and we wanted to be different.

And E Pluribus Unum is 1,000 times more badass than "In God we trust", and we need to go back to it.

I won't speak for others, but when I pray my Christian prayers to my Christian God according to my personal beliefs, I generally try to follow my Christian God's directives. Matthew 6:1-6:

1 "Beware of practicing your piety before men in order to be seen by them; for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven. 2 "Thus, when you give alms, sound no trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may be praised by men. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. 3 But when you give alms, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, 4 so that your alms may be in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you. 5 "And when you pray, you must not be like the hypocrites; for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, that they may be seen by men. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. 6 But when you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you.

The coach may not be overtly instructing his players to pray, but by his own words he is attempting to influence them according to his value system. The School District has acknowledged his right to pray in private, has even offered him use of more private school facilities in which to pray after games. By insisting on using the 50-yard line immediately after the game, while still on duty as coach with his players still in uniform on the field, he is de facto a school official endorsing Christian prayer whether he's literally verbalizing the instructions "Christian prayer is what we should do" or not.

The only reason for choosing that particular time and place to pray, in my opinion, is for the public spectacle...making him a public official engaging in Christian proselytizing on the job.

I really don't " get " Satanists. I always have thought them as just a bunch of counter culture folks who enjoy rubbing people the wrong way, and use " Satan " as their means to tick off the stiff collared , uptight religious types. Ha-ha, yeah, real funny, but it seems they've actually bought into the charade they're playing.

Only, I have no gorram clue what their deal is. It's one thing to SAY you praise Satan, as a means of annoying / scaring the knickers off of Christians, but c'mon... joke's not THAT funny. How'd they come to take themselves so damn seriously ?

I just don't get it.

:gofig:

I have to confess the logic behind Satanism escapes me as well. That is, if one is going to recognize or worship the Biblical Satan, it seems like one would also recognize that the same Bible teaches that this Satan is doomed to failure and defeat. Why go out of one's way to choose the losing side? Seems somewhat contradictory to adopt the attitude "I believe what the Bible says regarding the existence of this Being, but don't believe the part in Revelation about this Being's and his followers' eventual fate."

But I don't have to understand them to acknowledge their right to their beliefs. I don't understand the judgmental/hateful/narrow-minded beliefs of some Christian fundamentalists, the chauvinistic/violent beliefs of some Muslims, or the seeming (to me) silliness of some New Age or Neo-pagan rituals. However I acknowledge their right to practice or believe whatever in their personal lives, just not a right to try to inflict their beliefs on me. And I feel no compulsion to hate, attack, or otherwise discriminate against any such believers because of their beliefs.

It's more that I don't like that we made all these christian changes during the cold war simply because we thought the commies were all atheists and we wanted to be different.

And E Pluribus Unum is 1,000 times more badass than "In God we trust", and we need to go back to it.

Agree with that. If only our elected officials thought that as well.

I just don't get it.

:gofig:/>

I have to confess the logic behind Satanism escapes me as well. That is, if one is going to recognize or worship the Biblical Satan, it seems like one would also recognize that the same Bible teaches that this Satan is doomed to failure and defeat. Why go out of one's way to choose the losing side? Seems somewhat contradictory to adopt the attitude "I believe what the Bible says regarding the existence of this Being, but don't believe the part in Revelation about this Being's and his followers' eventual fate."

But I don't have to understand them to acknowledge their right to their beliefs. I don't understand the judgmental/hateful/narrow-minded beliefs of some Christian fundamentalists, the chauvinistic/violent beliefs of some Muslims, or the seeming (to me) silliness of some New Age or Neo-pagan rituals. However I acknowledge their right to practice or believe whatever in their personal lives, just not a right to try to inflict their beliefs on me. And I feel no compulsion to hate, attack, or otherwise discriminate against any such believers because of their beliefs.

They're just atheists being ironic.

I thought that much as well, and some may very well be, but it seems many others have bought into this stuff, and live it 24 / 7 . That tells me they're not just trying to annoy , but really do believe in the big bad guy.

I thought that much as well, and some may very well be, but it seems many others have bought into this stuff, and live it 24 / 7 . That tells me they're not just trying to annoy , but really do believe in the big bad guy.

I'm sure there are a few like with any large group of people, but I'd bet the farm that the overwhelming majority are just in it for the satire.

I'm sure there are a few like with any large group of people, but I'd bet the farm that the overwhelming majority are just in it for the satire.

Not knowing any, I'd think that still to be a stretch. Of course, I use to think atheists were all like Rasputin. Go figure.

Not knowing any, I'd think that still to be a stretch. Of course, I use to think atheists were all like Rasputin. Go figure.

Although technically, Rasputin wasn't an atheist...at least not according to his own words. He claimed to be a holy man, God's spokesperson, a spiritual healer, and an agent of God sent to help the Czarina and her hemophiliac son..

...so: sinner, pervert, reprobate, sociopath and sadist, probably, but not technically an atheist.

Still, hedonist is how I saw all atheists. And worse. You know, those folk not like " normal " types were monsters.

I was young.

Archived