Where are we as a program

Lowrider

It was a good game today, I thought we played hard and the effort that we were missing in a few games this year was clearly there. I thought our players fought to win up until the final whistle. I also couldn't help but feel like I was watching Vandy or Kentucky wearing Auburn uniforms. A lot of times when you watch those programs they move the ball between the 20's, they keep the stats close but they just don't have what it takes to finish the deal. They don't have a killer instinct and make too many small mistakes during the game to beat the top half of the league.

The better team won today. I'm sure long time Auburn fans can't wrap their brains around the fact that Ole Miss beating Auburn today was not considered an upset by anyone. We have now lost 8 of our last 11 SEC games. We can use the youth excuse, the injury excuse or whatever excuse is next on the list. We can post long lists of high school star ratings but anyone who knows college football knows that those ratings really only apply to true freshman for most players. You have a few elite talents each year like Fournette. Once you get into the program for a year or two you should be a totally different player than you were in high school. The 85th ranked LB can be much better than the 15th ranked LB as a sophomore. That's just how it works, some guys want it more than others. As college football fans we want to believe that every player is self motivated. That they all have the same approach. That's not reality. There is probably no group on earth that is more distracted than a college athlete on a major program's campus. The player who really wants to get better in the off season can get better. College is a totally different planet than high school. Those ratings eventually become completely worthless.

So where are we. When you are 1-4 in the SEC is that just a speed bump. Is 2013 really the level for us and 2015 is just an anomaly.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was at the game today and feel very similar to what you described in your post. It's like watching Kentucky or Mississippi State wearing orange and blue. Until the coaches and players prove otherwise, we're middle-of-the-road SEC team. There's plenty of talent and potential that you could see flashes of at various times during the course of the game. Good teams play with consistency, can recover from mistakes, and make the most of opportunities. Right now, we are just not a good team. Mistakes and missed opportunities cost us week in and week out.

What I find disturbing is the lack of development of players. Goes all the way back to Chizik. Also, we have recruited well over the last few years. Why do we have down years? With our recruiting we expect 9 wins per season. Maybe more.

I was at the game today and feel very similar to what you described in your post. It's like watching Kentucky or Mississippi State wearing orange and blue. Until the coaches and players prove otherwise, we're middle-of-the-road SEC team. There's plenty of talent and potential that you could see flashes of at various times during the course of the game. Good teams play with consistency, can recover from mistakes, and make the most of opportunities. Right now, we are just not a good team. Mistakes and missed opportunities cost us week in and week out.

The difference is that we are paying our coaches much more money and have more talent in terms of ratings out of high school than either of those teams but are right there with them.

What I find disturbing is the lack of development of players. Goes all the way back to Chizik. Also, we have recruited well over the last few years. Why do we have down years? With our recruiting we expect 9 wins per season. Maybe more.

Does this question need to be asked every single week? Coaching, coaching, coaching.

Does this question need to be asked every single week? Coaching, coaching, coaching.

You didn't get the memo. The reason is 'bad luck'.

You should have changed the title of this post to "all trolls welcome."

Possibly but it's funny that the few people who were against hiring Gus (all of them post here regularly) were probably pushing for AU to hire Muschamp before Ga got him. So now we have both of them The offense is struggling and the defense has not returned to the glory days of 2004 despite the fact Muschamp has been here 6 month now........just can't seem to satisfy some folks. :dunno:

Where are we?

We are a 4-4 team that will likely finish the season with a 5-7 record. Is it coaching or players? It's a combination of both. I blame the coaches for bonehead playing calling and player development. I blame the players for lack luster effort, poor execution and leadership.

Neither of these two conditions will be fixed this year. If the coaches survive the season (which I think they should), the players that remain had better find some motivation and leadership or we will struggle to get to 8-9 wins next season. At this point, unless something changes, we are probably 2-3 years away from being competitive again.

Where are we?

We are a 4-4 team that will likely finish the season with a 5-7 record. Is it coaching or players? It's a combination of both. I blame the coaches for bonehead playing calling and player development. I blame the players for lack luster effort, poor execution and leadership.

Neither of these two conditions will be fixed this year. If the coaches survive the season (which I think they should), the players that remain had better find some motivation and leadership or we will struggle to get to 8-9 wins next season. At this point, unless something changes, we are probably 2-3 years away from being competitive again.

Sadly I agree. I'm so sick of being a joke of a program that's only relevant once in a while. How can Ole Miss have constant success but we can't?!

This is a team of players and coaches who consistently take plays and or series off. There is no consistency in our play calling by our OC or level of effort by our players. The responsibility for this steaming pile lies at the feet of the HC.

Why do people come on here and act like everyone should just be happy with these results. Our OL is loaded with 4 and 5 star talent and all had started or played before this year. We have two 5 star RBs and another 4 star that was Mr Football. In fact we have the past 3 Mr. Football from Alabama. Two highly rated QBs. Loaded with 4 star receivers and yet the offense is one of the worst in the SEC. The defense has improved this year over last. The offense has regressed. Given that you have to question our coaching. WDE

Where are we?

Sadly I agree. I'm so sick of being a joke of a program that's only relevant once in a while. How can Ole Miss have constant success but we can't?!

Constant success? We are talking about Ole Miss right???

Hard to argue at this point that AU is not a lower level SEC program. When you have 1 conference win and are ranked 13th or 14th depending on the week on offense and defense it's hard to make a reasonable argument otherwise. The question is how long does it take to move out of the lower level?

Where are we?

Gotta watch it....some folks just know how to criticize AU but don't know much about football elsewhere...or the realities of football or math that says for every winner of a football game there is also a loser....so it's not possible for every school to have winning records....and that firing your coach every few years over a bad season or two is the surest way to continue that trend.

Why do people come on here and act like everyone should just be happy with these results. Our OL is loaded with 4 and 5 star talent and all had started or played before this year. We have two 5 star RBs and another 4 star that was Mr Football. In fact we have the past 3 Mr. Football from Alabama. Two highly rated QBs. Loaded with 4 star receivers and yet the offense is one of the worst in the SEC. The defense has improved this year over last. The offense has regressed. Given that you have to question our coaching. WDE

Re rate those guys as SEC players. High school ratings are worthless why do college football fans think they are not. It's like trying to tell us that Tim Couch or Sam Bradford were the highest rated players in the NFL draft.

Re rate those guys as SEC players. High school ratings are worthless why do college football fans think they are not. It's like trying to tell us that Tim Couch or Sam Bradford were the highest rated players in the NFL draft.

The problem is those NFL guys are a handful of outliers. AU has a good bunch of outliers on one team. That is not good. The teams who recruit well, typically consistently puts up competitive teams. And no, I don't have the answer. I wish I did.

This is probably a stretch, but we are having a big philosophy change this year on defense. Alabama had a huge philosophy change in 2007. They were just an average team. They had players that had to buy in to being a tougher more physical team. It took more than a season for things to turn around. I feel good about the defense going forward if we don't do anything crazy and start letting people go.

Where are we as a program???

Auburn has had 6 different offensive play callers in a 10 year span.

Auburn has tried 4.5 different offensive schemes in a 10 year span.

Auburn has had 6 different defensive coordinators in 10 years.

Auburn has had 3 different head coaches in just 8 years.

Auburn currently has a 4th year head coach in only his 3rd year at AU.

Auburn currently has a yet another new defensive coordinator in his 1st year (BACK) at AU.

Despite these things AU still finds a way to bring in respected recruits in the same period. May not fit into the plethora of schemes that we have tried on both sides of the ball but athletic none the less.

In the same 10 year sample size AU has made great improvements to facilities, 7 winning seasons, an 82-43 overall record, 2 time SEC West runner up, 2 SEC West Championships, 6 wins to 1 loss bowl record, 2 SEC titles, 2 National title appearances, and 1 undefeated National Championship team. (Compare that to the other 128 programs and see how sour an AU fan actually has it)

This year the AU football team is currently 4-4 and facing a big test of intestinal fortitude. Lay eggs from here on out and a few recruits question AU or we turn this season into anything positive and build upon a strong finish. Regardless of outcome from this season, I think the AU program has a small chance to survive the bruised egos from this year. Start next year ranked around #21 in the nation, pray for a few bounces to go our way during 2016 , and enjoy AUBURN football. Life is good.

WAR EAGLE!!!!!!

Where are we?

Thank you! Ole Miss has been nothing since ARCHIE Manning was there. Hugh Freeze came along and had one of the best years of recruiting in NCAA history and he is reaping the fruits from it today.

Where are we?

Thank you! Ole Miss has been nothing since ARCHIE Manning was there. Hugh Freeze came along and had one of the best years of recruiting in NCAA history and he is reaping the fruits from it today.

Yes!

Archived