Where are we as a program

Lowrider

Can't be definite, but I think it's ok to think that if we were better in the redzone, we'd only have one loss this year. Of course play in the redzone has everything to do with doing your job to the T. Paying attention to the smallest details etc. Coaching this up has to be strict and detailed

Yes! I said this in another thread but LSU is the only game we didn't have a chance in and I bet if we played that game again we would be a lot tougher. Miss State, Arkansas, Ole Miss all could have gone Auburn's way if we can score a TD instead of a FG. This is a young team fighting every week and coming up just short. Next year these close games will fall to a more experienced Auburn team.

I generally agree; but I'll feel more optimistic about next year if we don't have too many guys leaving early for the NFL. (Coleman, Young, Lawson come to mind immediately.)

If Coleman and Young plan on having chances to get drafted, they better either have personal OL coaches on speed dial for the offseason or just hope that Auburn's OL coaching will improve next season.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't be definite, but I think it's ok to think that if we were better in the redzone, we'd only have one loss this year. Of course play in the redzone has everything to do with doing your job to the T. Paying attention to the smallest details etc. Coaching this up has to be strict and detailed

Yes! I said this in another thread but LSU is the only game we didn't have a chance in and I bet if we played that game again we would be a lot tougher. Miss State, Arkansas, Ole Miss all could have gone Auburn's way if we can score a TD instead of a FG. This is a young team fighting every week and coming up just short. Next year these close games will fall to a more experienced Auburn team.

I generally agree; but I'll feel more optimistic about next year if we don't have too many guys leaving early for the NFL. (Coleman, Young, Lawson come to mind immediately.)

If Coleman and Young plan on having chances to get drafted, they better either have personal OL coaches on speed dial for the offseason or just hope that Auburn's OL coaching will improve next season.

Why should it be on the ciaches for them to improve their playing.They've had plenty of coaching, but they still lack consistency. That's not on the coaches, it's on their desire and tenacity. You can't take plays off amd whiff on blocks. Sorry, but that's not coaching. These guys have shown that they can do the job, they just don't do it all of the time/every play. Coleman has had an inordinate number of falsse starts. Yhis really hurts a drive. Coaches can't do a whole lot about your head not being in the game (focus).Can't say that much about Young because he's been injured.

Why should it be on the ciaches for them to improve their playing.They've had plenty of coaching, but they still lack consistency. That's not on the coaches, it's on their desire and tenacity. You can't take plays off amd whiff on blocks. Sorry, but that's not coaching. These guys have shown that they can do the job, they just don't do it all of the time/every play. Coleman has had an inordinate number of falsse starts. Yhis really hurts a drive. Coaches can't do a whole lot about your head not being in the game (focus).Can't say that much about Young because he's been injured.

What? The conversation is about them choosing to go in the draft or not. I'm sure those two has some potential, they just need technique assistance.

Gotta give credit to someone this year but the offensive penalties are way down from last year ....all across the team. Don't know if the emphasis on reducing penalties has caused a reduction in aggressive play or not? But overall, the team has not hurt itself near as much this year from what I have observed. Used to get holding calls on the WRs regularly and the false starts as mentioned.....not many lately ...except for that bad one at the goal line.

Same coaches taught the great linwmen we've had the last couple of years. Just sayin

Everybody knew how horrible slade was....except the actual NFL guys. I don't think he was drafted but before he was hurt he was definitely a hot prospect

The 2015 Auburn Tiger Football Team is in about the same boat as the 2012 Arkansas Razorback Football Team. Only difference was we had John L.Smith for 9 months and Auburn has Gus Malzahn for the long haul.

Where are we as a program. Well, at the present we are sitting in last place in the west and just slightly above vandy and USC. Three sec games remaining and will be underdogs in all three. Next year will come and we will see how good the coaching staff can coach. That is where we are. No one is going to be fired.

Maybe not fired but I will bet there will be changes and/or some coaches may go elsewhere to coach. jmo

Well we're headed nowhere fast for this season. Expectations were too high. I still believe in Gus. He has some work to do and he does need to look at his tendencies in play calling. I do believe he will make whatever changes are necessary to make things work as they should. Muschamp has the defense moving in the right direction. That isn't something that gets fixed overnight.

Where are we as a program. Well, at the present we are sitting in last place in the west and just slightly above vandy and USC. Three sec games remaining and will be underdogs in all three. Next year will come and we will see how good the coaching staff can coach. That is where we are. No one is going to be fired.

Maybe not fired but I will bet there will be changes and/or some coaches may go elsewhere to coach. jmo

At some positions, there HAS to be changes. At one certain position, you don't even have to fire a guy, just move him up to a different position to coach.

The title should have been "for all those who fell for the hype JJ and duke and can't come to grips with that"

LOL!!!! You are asking a lot considering some feel Ole Miss has "constant success". In bowl games??? Against little ole Auburn??? Memphis maybe??? SEC title games??? Bowl games??? Losing to Arkansas 30-0???

What is the definition of "constant success"? Oh my head hurts

Is this in reply to my post?

More using your post as a spring board to vent about a post by auwent calling AU a joke of a program while Ole Miss is a program with "constant success".

Ok, so that was a dumb comment. I apologize. You're right, Ole Miss has (at least since the SEC split into divisions) been the worst (or second-worst) program in the west. I'm a bit envious of them having what looks like is going to be two 9 or above-win seasons in a row. (Granted, I'm sure they'd be more than glad to have two NC appearances, much less 5 SECC appearances in that time span.)

This team has suffered disappoint but we also have a team that,

* has had to absorb one body blow after another but absolutely refuses to hang it's head.

* keeps fighting until the end of the game, refusing to quit or be embarrassed.

* will get knocked down then get back up and knock the other guy down time after time.

* win or lose, comes back the next week better than the week before to do battle again.

* has a defense we can see with our own eyes is getting better and more competitive each week, in spite of all those ytd stats.

* has a defense beginning to take on the look of a tough Muschamp defense.

* has an offense that was dealt a major setback when it had to do a complete reset in game #4.

* had to ease in an inexperienced Freshman QB in game #4, then add a little more each week.

* has the new QB making excellent progress, who now has an injury taking away his run threat, making it easier for defenses.

* is a team that has been competitive in every single game this season except one.

* is a team that lost 3 games by just 8 pts each.

* is a team with a very strong underclassman base.

* is a team with a lot of heart and becoming a solid foundation for next year's team and beyond.

In fact, after 50+ years of watching AU football, this happens to be a team that is becoming one of my favorite teams because of it's heart and the way it fights. They remind me of the boxer Rocky who in spite of being bloodied and bruised, kept getting up, kept fighting, over and over again. This is a team to be proud of because of the way they have endured everything thrown at them this year and did not let it deter them. The team shows a lot of character.

Yet in spite of all that, sadly we have people that are missing it. They can't enjoy or even see what they DO have. Instead they are consumed with criticizing a team that is a work in progress, because it's not a team that is already the way THEY want it to be today, not later but right now, today.

I agree with Iron Man 70. This team has a lot of heart and has kept fighting through adversity. We are just a few plays away from having a much better record, I feel like if the coaches can keep them fighting we will really have something to build on for next year.

I'm as disappointed as anyone with where we are. But after our Heisman contender QB got deer in the head lights syndrome, and our #1 Wide Out turned into a head case and our #1 Defensive Player gets hurt, we have to be proud of this teams effort!

Here's to hoping we continue to get better and beat uga and the turds! I believe it can happen!!

I'm as disappointed as anyone with where we are. But after our Heisman contender QB got deer in the head lights syndrome, and our #1 Wide Out turned into a head case and our #1 Defensive Player gets hurt, we have to be proud of this teams effort!

Here's to hoping we continue to get better and beat uga and the turds! I believe it can happen!!

People seem to never include Holsey in these injured lists. Losing him was a huge blow for the secondary. We also had Ricardo banged up and a step slower in several games, RBs rotating with injuries, swapped the Oline around after 1 game due to injury and had Mathews and Ford banged up in the secondary as well. Definitely has not been our lucky year. Now it's not bad luck to get stuffed on 1st down almost every time when you run it 90 percent of the time (literally over the last 2 games outside of time crunch drives), but that's another story.

First off, IronMan's post, #62, is spot on.

Then, there isn't an assistant coach whose hiring wasn't loudly applauded. Well, maybe not Fountain. Last year people wanted to fire Fountain, this year his special teams are a highlight and strong point. There's a message in the Fountain situation, study it.

Those wanting heads to roll need pull their own heads out. This coaching staff will turn things around and if you don't have the patience to bear with them, find another team. The DullDawgs need a few more fair weather fans at the moment. If you don't like Auburn, cast your eyes East.

I'm as frustrated as anybody with the losing. I tend to question some of the playcalling as well. Having lost so many division games in a row is certainly a cause for concern. However I'm willing to give Gus the benefit of patience. Here's why:

Since 2010 he has engineered offensive powerhouses that made us SEC champions and national championship game participants twice. Only two other schools in the country can say the same in that span.

The situation he walked into in 2012 was bad. Consider the 2012 recruiting class signed by the Chizik administration. Of the 21 players signed only 9 of them are on the team now. That's the senior class we're talking about on our team right now. He was able to come in and secure a top 10 recruiting class on the heels of a 3-9 season and a coaching change. That class included 3 JUCO signees who are currently in the NFL and a few more that will be soon. Turned a former UGA corner into an unstoppable offensive weapon and champion quarterback. He mixed that with guys like Tre Mason and Sammie Coates who had came to Auburn to play for him before. He parlayed that into a 12-2 season and the biggest turnaround in the history of college football.

His record as a head coach here is 24-11. If we hope to sustain any kind of success at Auburn we must have continuity with a coaching staff. We wonder why there are so many highs and lows with our program, it's a lot because of the fickleness of people involved, including some fans.

To that note, Muschamp will make a difference eventually. Sooner than later. It's starting to happen now. He's laying a foundation and changing the culture. Yeah we give up yards but we force turnovers and keep us in the game. Giving up only 17 to MSU, 24 to Arkansas (regulation) and 27 to Ole Miss gives us a chance to win. Give him a full depth chart of talented guys like we'll have by 2017 and I think we'd have the ingredients of a top tier defense.

Sometimes stuff happens that changes the complexion of a season. With a healthy Carl Lawson and a focused Duke Williams this is possibly a 6-2 top 15 ranked football team even with the QB change. Regardless this team is fighting every week and I think we will turn a corner very soon. We've identified some good young players that should make us excited for the future.

Malzahn represents Auburn the right way on and off the field as well. This is a multi-million dollar business and it is about winning but it's still amateur collegiate athletics. I think he has displayed great leadership and has been an example since he's been here. He has proven that he can do it on the field and I'm confident the results are going to come soon.

Why do people come on here and act like everyone should just be happy with these results. Our OL is loaded with 4 and 5 star talent and all had started or played before this year. We have two 5 star RBs and another 4 star that was Mr Football. In fact we have the past 3 Mr. Football from Alabama. Two highly rated QBs. Loaded with 4 star receivers and yet the offense is one of the worst in the SEC. The defense has improved this year over last. The offense has regressed. Given that you have to question our coaching. WDE

Totally Agree, we are loaded with undeveloped talent.

I'm as frustrated as anybody with the losing. I tend to question some of the playcalling as well. Having lost so many division games in a row is certainly a cause for concern. However I'm willing to give Gus the benefit of patience. Here's why:

Since 2010 he has engineered offensive powerhouses that made us SEC champions and national championship game participants twice. Only two other schools in the country can say the same in that span.

The situation he walked into in 2012 was bad. Consider the 2012 recruiting class signed by the Chizik administration. Of the 21 players signed only 9 of them are on the team now. That's the senior class we're talking about on our team right now. He was able to come in and secure a top 10 recruiting class on the heels of a 3-9 season and a coaching change. That class included 3 JUCO signees who are currently in the NFL and a few more that will be soon. Turned a former UGA corner into an unstoppable offensive weapon and champion quarterback. He mixed that with guys like Tre Mason and Sammie Coates who had came to Auburn to play for him before. He parlayed that into a 12-2 season and the biggest turnaround in the history of college football.

His record as a head coach here is 24-11. If we hope to sustain any kind of success at Auburn we must have continuity with a coaching staff. We wonder why there are so many highs and lows with our program, it's a lot because of the fickleness of people involved, including some fans.

To that note, Muschamp will make a difference eventually. Sooner than later. It's starting to happen now. He's laying a foundation and changing the culture. Yeah we give up yards but we force turnovers and keep us in the game. Giving up only 17 to MSU, 24 to Arkansas (regulation) and 27 to Ole Miss gives us a chance to win. Give him a full depth chart of talented guys like we'll have by 2017 and I think we'd have the ingredients of a top tier defense.

Sometimes stuff happens that changes the complexion of a season. With a healthy Carl Lawson and a focused Duke Williams this is possibly a 6-2 top 15 ranked football team even with the QB change. Regardless this team is fighting every week and I think we will turn a corner very soon. We've identified some good young players that should make us excited for the future.

Malzahn represents Auburn the right way on and off the field as well. This is a multi-million dollar business and it is about winning but it's still amateur collegiate athletics. I think he has displayed great leadership and has been an example since he's been here. He has proven that he can do it on the field and I'm confident the results are going to come soon.

Lot of good things in there. With all the setbacks we've had, I would foremost like to see how we handle the recruiting trail after this is over. Had we had some more bodies rotated on D Saturday I think we hold Ole Miss to under 20. Offense is close to having those lights come on and being the wrecking crew that we've come to know these last couple years.

We also have a team that,

* has had to absorb one body blow after another but absolutely refuses to hang it's head.

* will get knocked down then get back up to knock the other guy down, time after time.

* win or lose, comes back the next week better than the week before to battle again.

* has a defense we can see with our own eyes is getting better and more competitive each week, in spite of all those ytd stats.

* has an offense that was dealt a major setback when it had to do a complete reset in game #4.

* had to ease in an inexperienced Freshman QB in that 4th game, then add a little more each week.

* has the new QB making excellent progress but who now has an injury, taking away his real run threat, making it easier for defenses.

* is a team that has been competitive in every single game this season except one.

* is a team with a lot of heart and becoming a solid foundation for next year's team and beyond.

In fact, after 50 years of watching AU football, this happens to be a team that has become one of my favorite teams because of it's heart and the way it fights. They remind mr of the boxer Rocky who in spite of being bloodied and bruised, kept getting up, kept fighting, over and over again. I am proud of this team because of the way they have endured everything thrown at them this year and never gave up. The team has a lot of character.

Yet in spite of all that, sadly we have people that are missing it. They can't seem to enjoy or even see what they DO have. Instead they are consumed with criticizing a team that is a work in progress, because it's not a team that is already the way THEY want it to be today, not later but right now.

1981 redux?

* will get knocked down then get back up to knock the other guy down, time after time.

* win or lose, comes back the next week better than the week before to battle again.

* had to ease in an inexperienced Freshman QB in that 4th game, then add a little more each week.

* has the new QB making excellent progress but who now has an injury, taking away his real run threat, making it easier for defenses.

In fact, after 50 years of watching AU football, this happens to be a team that has become one of my favorite teams because of it's heart and the way it fights. They remind mr of the boxer Rocky who in spite of being bloodied and bruised, kept getting up, kept fighting, over and over again. I am proud of this team because of the way they have endured everything thrown at them this year and never gave up. The team has a lot of character.

Yet in spite of all that, sadly we have people that are missing it. They can't seem to enjoy or even see what they DO have. Instead they are consumed with criticizing a team that is a work in progress, because it's not a team that is already the way THEY want it to be today, not later but right now.

Agree with all this. Sad folks seem unable or unwilling to see it.

War Eagle!

1981 redux?

I've had this same thought. Pat Dye quoted Shug's term of "put a bottom in 'em" when discussing the 1981 season. I think something similar is happening now.

I'm one of the folks who are extremely concerned. The trends are so bad, especially given the talent we're supposed to have.

That said, our team played very, very hard Saturday. I was proud of them. The defense struggled to get stops, what else is new, but Ole Miss only got 27 points. I may be concerned, but I won't run down the character of this team.

Our OL is loaded with 4 and 5 star talent and all had started or played before this year.

The trends are so bad, especially given the talent we're supposed to have.

It really confuses me that so many people still, after the season we've had, don't understand the difference between talent and experience.

1981 redux?

I've had this same thought. Pat Dye quoted Shug's term of "put a bottom in 'em" when discussing the 1981 season. I think something similar is happening now.

Reminds me of the 2003 team, too.

What they do NOT remind me of is the 2011 team. Everybody talks about 2012, but the seeds for that season were already sprouting very early in 2011. That team was already going downhill fast by the time we played LSU. And we had a coach who just silently walked up and down the sidelines the entire game while watching his kids fail into submission. But did y'all see Gus light into Tony Stevens after he missed a block in the 2nd or 3rd quarter? I forgave a lot of mistakes when I saw that. Like IronMan said, this team is getting better, and quickly. We've played most of the season without Lawson or Robinson. We played the first half of the season with a broken Jeremy Johnson, and we actually got better when we dismissed Duke Williams. We almost beat the team that beat bama with a freshman playing on one leg.

The red zone play calling has sucked. No question about that. Sucked last season, too. But we've seen Gus get it right more often than not, and the big difference next season is that he'll return the key components of his offense intact. He won't be losing Prosch, Robinson and Mason all at once. He won't be losing most of his OL- including a 4 year starter at the most important position on the line- and breaking in a new QB with a guy who'd never played center before. He won't have freshmen playing QB, HB and TE. His best RB won't be a true FR.

The rest of this season will be tough, but I'm excited for the future.

Archived