Where are we as a program

Lowrider

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a trend for you. After this season, Auburn will have had 4 winning SEC seasons in the past 10.

Yep... 4 winning seasons and 2 4-4 seasons playing in the SEC West with UGA as cross divisonal rival.

Once we find the perfect coach I do hope this number gets better.

Here's a trend for you. After this season, Auburn will have had 4 winning SEC seasons in the past 10.

I bet you 90% of the SEC would take the Championships, though. ;)

AU hasn't had real consistency since the late 80's. Tubs run from 2004-2007 might be considered "consistent".

Where are we?

We are a 4-4 team that will likely finish the season with a 5-7 record. Is it coaching or players? It's a combination of both. I blame the coaches for bonehead playing calling and player development. I blame the players for lack luster effort, poor execution and leadership.

Neither of these two conditions will be fixed this year. If the coaches survive the season (which I think they should), the players that remain had better find some motivation and leadership or we will struggle to get to 8-9 wins next season. At this point, unless something changes, we are probably 2-3 years away from being competitive again.

Sadly I agree. I'm so sick of being a joke of a program that's only relevant once in a while. How can Ole Miss have constant success but we can't?!

Constant success? Man things are getting thick and that includes heads.

All-Time Records of Mississippi

Year Won Lost Tied Notes I-A Southeastern Conference, West division 2014 9 4 2013 8 5 2012 7 6 2011 2 10 2010 4 8 2009 9 4 2008 9 4 2007, Alabama had to vacate a win due to a textbook scandal, but opponents records are unchanged. 2007 3 9 2006, Alabama had to vacate a win due to a textbook scandal, but opponents records are unchanged. 2006 4 8 2005, Alabama had to vacate a win due to a textbook scandal, but opponents records are unchanged. 2005 3 8 Year Won Lost Tied Notes 2004 4 7 2003 10 3 2002 7 6 2001 7 4 2000 7 5 1999 8 4 1998 7 5 1997 8 4 1996 5 6 1995 6 5 Year Won Lost Tied Notes 1994 4 7 1993 was 5-6; Alabama had to forfeit a win due to use of an ineligible player. 1993 6 5 1992 9 3 1991 5 6 1990 9 3 1989 8 4 1988 5 6 1987 3 8 1986 8 3 1 1985 4 6 1 Year Won Lost Tied Notes 1984 4 6 1 1983 was 6-6; Tulane had to forfeit a win. 1983 7 5 1982 4 7 1981 4 6 1 1980 3 8

The formatting went wonky but I'll paraphrase: OM won 7 then 8 then 9 games the last 3 years. Prior to that they've sucked pretty bad overall. They've won 10+ games exactly once in the last 15 seasons.

The formatting went wonky but I'll paraphrase: OM won 7 then 8 then 9 games the last 3 years. Prior to that they've sucked pretty bad overall. They've won 10+ games exactly once in the last 15 seasons.

Poster was probably referencing the recent steady improvement under Freeze.

YEAR Coach Record Bowl

2011 Nutt 2 -10

2012 Freeze 6 - 6 W

2013 Freeze 7 - 5 W

2014 Freeze 9 - 3 L

2015 Freeze 7 - 2

YEAR Coach Record Bowl

2011 Nutt 2 -10

2012 Freeze 6 - 6 W

2013 Freeze 7 - 5 W

2014 Freeze 9 - 3 L

2015 Freeze 7 - 2

I doubt that.... more likely.the poster was clueless about OM and looking for a chance to take a shot at AU and probably was unaware that AU ha owned Ole Sis for the last decade. ...

Ole Miss obviously got tired of losing so they found a winner after ditching Nutt. Auburn has also found them a winner in Malzahn. I wish I had the article handy but Malzahn has a history of producing success from what he has, I think this season is about re-finding what we have after the disillusion of Jeremy Johnson. We've had setbacks, but we're still moving forward.

Is the D really getting better? The D is giving up 3 more points per game than last year, 50 more rushing yards per game and more passing yards per game than last year. Sure Boom can't fix everything right away, but shouldn't the D be some better than last year already?

Is the D really getting better? The D is giving up 3 more points per game than last year, 50 more rushing yards per game and more passing yards per game than last year. Sure Boom can't fix everything right away, but shouldn't the D be some better than last year already?

If you can't see the difference between this years D from last years, then you're not very observant. No offense intended, but the attitudes and fight these kids have this year is night and day compared to last. It really pisses me off to hear people bitch about the D so much. It's a rebuild year on D we fans all knew this coming into this season. I think people had ridiculously ignorant expectations on what would happen with this team overall, D included.

We are a fun program to watch lately. We are either really high (2 national title games and 2 sec championships in 5 years) or really bad (0-8 in the SEC and now 1-whatever). We are so close to winning these games (ARK, OM) and probably should have one a few of them but we just are not getting it done, especially in the red zone.

And no, the defense is not better this year...but it will be better soon. As has been said over and over, it will take years of recruiting and coaching. This is not a quick fix. This is a LONG TERM problem that is going to take talent and a LOT of practice/coaching. We need TRUE linebackers and defensive linemen in this league.

If you can't see the difference between this years D from last years, then you're not very observant. No offense intended, but the attitudes and fight these kids have this year is night and day compared to last. It really pisses me off to hear people bitch about the D so much. It's a rebuild year on D we fans all knew this coming into this season. I think people had ridiculously ignorant expectations on what would happen with this team overall, D included.

i agree with everything you said except the D is really not much better this year. They are fighting, yes, but as far as W-Ls and stats, they are aren't better. It is just going to take time. Champ can get us there in the 2 years but we have to be patient and WE NEED PLAYERS.

Where are we?

We are a 4-4 team that will likely finish the season with a 5-7 record. Is it coaching or players? It's a combination of both. I blame the coaches for bonehead playing calling and player development. I blame the players for lack luster effort, poor execution and leadership.

Neither of these two conditions will be fixed this year. If the coaches survive the season (which I think they should), the players that remain had better find some motivation and leadership or we will struggle to get to 8-9 wins next season. At this point, unless something changes, we are probably 2-3 years away from being competitive again.

what he said...............

Where are we as a program???

Auburn has had 6 different offensive play callers in a 10 year span.

Auburn has tried 4.5 different offensive schemes in a 10 year span.

Auburn has had 6 different defensive coordinators in 10 years.

Auburn has had 3 different head coaches in just 8 years.

Auburn currently has a 4th year head coach in only his 3rd year at AU.

Auburn currently has a yet another new defensive coordinator in his 1st year (BACK) at AU.

Despite these things AU still finds a way to bring in respected recruits in the same period. May not fit into the plethora of schemes that we have tried on both sides of the ball but athletic none the less.

In the same 10 year sample size AU has made great improvements to facilities, 7 winning seasons, an 82-43 overall record, 2 time SEC West runner up, 2 SEC West Championships, 6 wins to 1 loss bowl record, 2 SEC titles, 2 National title appearances, and 1 undefeated National Championship team. (Compare that to the other 128 programs and see how sour an AU fan actually has it)

This year the AU football team is currently 4-4 and facing a big test of intestinal fortitude. Lay eggs from here on out and a few recruits question AU or we turn this season into anything positive and build upon a strong finish. Regardless of outcome from this season, I think the AU program has a small chance to survive the bruised egos from this year. Start next year ranked around #21 in the nation, pray for a few bounces to go our way during 2016 , and enjoy AUBURN football. Life is good.

WAR EAGLE!!!!!!

Preach

This team has suffered disappoint but we also have a team that,

* has had to absorb one body blow after another but absolutely refuses to hang it's head.

* keeps fighting until the end of the game, refusing to quit or be embarrassed.

* will get knocked down then get back up and knock the other guy down time after time.

* win or lose, comes back the next week better than the week before to do battle again.

* has a defense we can see with our own eyes is getting better and more competitive each week, in spite of all those ytd stats.

* has a defense beginning to take on the look of a tough Muschamp defense.

* has an offense that was dealt a major setback when it had to do a complete reset in game #4.

* had to ease in an inexperienced Freshman QB in game #4, then add a little more each week.

* has the new QB making excellent progress, who now has an injury taking away his run threat, making it easier for defenses.

* is a team that has been competitive in every single game this season except one.

* is a team that lost 3 games by just 8 pts each.

* is a team with a very strong underclassman base.

* is a team with a lot of heart and becoming a solid foundation for next year's team and beyond.

In fact, after 50+ years of watching AU football, this happens to be a team that is becoming one of my favorite teams because of it's heart and the way it fights. They remind me of the boxer Rocky who in spite of being bloodied and bruised, kept getting up, kept fighting, over and over again. This is a team to be proud of because of the way they have endured everything thrown at them this year and did not let it deter them. The team shows a lot of character.

Yet in spite of all that, sadly we have people that are missing it. They can't enjoy or even see what they DO have. Instead they are consumed with criticizing a team that is a work in progress, because it's not a team that is already the way THEY want it to be today, not later but right now, today.

I am choosing to look at this glass as half full

because even with all of the issues Auburn has had this year, If about two plays go a different way in each of the OM, Ark, and State games Auburn wins all three. Auburn is that close to have a nice season.

It is not like we are getting our a$$ handed to us every week.

I too think we are better on D.

In the last 8 games of last year, we only held one team under 30 points. That team was samford.

This year through 8 games,only one team has scored more than 30 - lsu. (We held arky under 30 in regulation)

Our problem is the offense has seriously regressed.

This team has suffered disappoint but we also have a team that,

* has had to absorb one body blow after another but absolutely refuses to hang it's head.

* keeps fighting until the end of the game, refusing to quit or be embarrassed.

* will get knocked down then get back up and knock the other guy down time after time.

* win or lose, comes back the next week better than the week before to do battle again.

* has a defense we can see with our own eyes is getting better and more competitive each week, in spite of all those ytd stats.

* has a defense beginning to take on the look of a tough Muschamp defense.

* has an offense that was dealt a major setback when it had to do a complete reset in game #4.

* had to ease in an inexperienced Freshman QB in game #4, then add a little more each week.

* has the new QB making excellent progress, who now has an injury taking away his run threat, making it easier for defenses.

* is a team that has been competitive in every single game this season except one.

* is a team that lost 3 games by just 8 pts each.

* is a team with a very strong underclassman base.

* is a team with a lot of heart and becoming a solid foundation for next year's team and beyond.

In fact, after 50+ years of watching AU football, this happens to be a team that is becoming one of my favorite teams because of it's heart and the way it fights. They remind me of the boxer Rocky who in spite of being bloodied and bruised, kept getting up, kept fighting, over and over again. This is a team to be proud of because of the way they have endured everything thrown at them this year and did not let it deter them. The team shows a lot of character.

Yet in spite of all that, sadly we have people that are missing it. They can't enjoy or even see what they DO have. Instead they are consumed with criticizing a team that is a work in progress, because it's not a team that is already the way THEY want it to be today, not later but right now, today.

I am choosing to look at this glass as half full

because even with all of the issues Auburn has had this year, If about two plays go a different way in each of the OM, Ark, and State games Auburn wins all three. Auburn is that close to have a nice season.

It is not like we are getting our a$$ handed to us every week.

IIRC, none of the FBS teams we've beaten has a winning record, so win quality is a no-go. Good to see you've adapted by appreciating loss quality. :idea:

Something i think some are missing is the fact that the conference as a whole is way down this year. When we cant beat teams like arkansas, miss st., ole miss on a down year, what does that say when these teams have a good year.

Something i think some are missing is the fact that the conference as a whole is way down this year. When we cant beat teams like arkansas, miss st., ole miss on a down year, what does that say when these teams have a good year.

that's when we win them.................

That assumes that they'll have different teams but we'll have our same exact one.

We really just aren't even trying around here anymore, are we? I assure you that this Auburn team is far better at playing football than we are at talking about them. Jeez.

What worries me is that it's hard to see much individual improvement. The veterans on this team, meaning anyone who played last year, just arnt showing much development. DL-little if any, LB-little if any, DB-new blood looks good, OL-little if any, WR-little if any, QB-new guy looks good, RB-new guys look good. I would have been much more pleased If we had just seen some improvement in individual development.

YEAR Coach Record Bowl

2011 Nutt 2 -10

2012 Freeze 6 - 6 W

2013 Freeze 7 - 5 W

2014 Freeze 9 - 3 L

2015 Freeze 7 - 2

I doubt that.... more likely.the poster was clueless about OM and looking for a chance to take a shot at AU and probably was unaware that AU ha owned Ole Sis for the last decade. ...

Nope. I was referring to CHF's tenure. Yes I know that we've on 7 out of the last 10 with OM, but as of late they're looking pretty good. Maybe that changes if the Big 3 (Treadwell, Tunsil and Nkemdiche) go pro?

i agree with everything you said except the D is really not much better this year. They are fighting, yes, but as far as W-Ls and stats, they are aren't better. It is just going to take time. Champ can get us there in the 2 years but we have to be patient and WE NEED PLAYERS.

Defense has held every team other than LSU (which is currently #2) to less than 30 points in regulation play, including the notable achievement of holding Mississippi State to 17 and Ole Miss to 27. If defense had played this well in 2014, that team would have been undefeated. Every offense with a pulse broke 30 on last year's defense. A combination of two things is responsible for every loss this team has: often lengthy offensive struggles, and FG's instead of TD's.

I'm not saying the defense is a unit I would consider good. I am saying that the defense has played well enough to win every game played thus far had the supposed strength of the team (offense) been doing its job. The offense is supposed to be able to score 30+ consistently, and the defense is supposed to hold opponents below 30 consistently. The defense is doing its job, it did not last year. I don't recall a single game last year where the defense played even close to the way they did last Saturday against Ole Miss. I call that better. Of course, I'd like to expect the defense to hold opponents below 20 consistently, but I'm not increasing defensive expectations until I observe a good reason to do so.

Archived